PDA

View Full Version : Using CSM modals as Legion Of The Damned?

Bryan with a y?
26-09-2015, 21:32
I plan on using my chaos marine army as loyalists because my army was built back in the day and the current marine Codex better represents my play style now. Handily allot of my bolter marines were originally tactical marines with some minor conversions, so they look a bit more rag tag and like the turncoats they are. So I plan to use them as tactical marines. Simples!

I was was thinking of running my actual proper CSM marines as legion of the damned, their rules seem appropriate for veterans of the long war!

Would you you feel comfortable playing such an army or would it be a bit of a stretch of using "count as"? Equipment wise, everything in the army is wysiwyg. Paint wise, they are all iron warriors, but the tactical marines have some variation in shoulder pads and can be told apart at a glance from the CSM.

Lord Damocles
26-09-2015, 21:38
So run by me again why Loyalist Marines better represent Chaos Marines than actual Chaos Marines..?

No, really, that would literally be my IRL response.

The Not-Legion-of-the-Damned could at least do with something to make them look ghostly or fiery or undead or whatever.

Bryan with a y?
26-09-2015, 21:58
I like to run lots of marines in an shooty infantry force and unfortunately from what I have heard, the chaos space marine codex does not do that well or represent the legions :p

Novacane
27-09-2015, 01:38
So run by me again why Loyalist Marines better represent Chaos Marines than actual Chaos Marines..?

No, really, that would literally be my IRL response.

The Not-Legion-of-the-Damned could at least do with something to make them look ghostly or fiery or undead or whatever.

As a CSM player i can answer this easily.

SM isn't ****.

Dryaktylus
27-09-2015, 03:10
Using the Space Marine Codex is okay (there was a time GW supported this when having a renegade force). Plain CSM as LotD... don't know. I normally support count-as stuff if reasonable explained and executed, but this seems a bit uninspired. Why not use them as Sternguard?

If you want the LotD, use Plague Marines, that's what they are (according to their original background). :p

Clang
27-09-2015, 05:37
If your Iron Warrior CSMs are all painted and you don't feel like repainting them, then sure, saying they all count-as LotD rules-wise seems fine to me - no worse than any other CSM force using Loyalist rules, and better than some of the bizarre counts-as armies I've seen.

Fluff-wise, the Iron Warriors have been experimenting with warp-powered force-field/transporter tech resulting in them being able to fight in a style similar to LotD :)

But if you stay with the idea long-term, and want to play 'serious' games (tournaments in particular) with them, then repainting them as LotD would seem a good idea, if only to cut down on complaints.

Dr.Clock
27-09-2015, 18:02
I appreciate the 'thinking outside the box' of this idea. Ignoring cover makes pretty good sense for IWs, who are masters of siege warfare. The big hurdle IMO is simply that they have a 3++ save! I've considered doing a whole unit of Salamanders w/ storm shields for LOTD at one time... to give a proper sort of 'firedrake' unit without just going for sternguard. It seems to me that LOTD actually works best from a Chaos perspective as 1kSons Rubrics - they're almost the same 'thing' in fact... 'ghostly warriors' or whatever.

Personally, without figuring a way to represent their Inv. save convincingly, I'd prefer to use the 'veteran' CSMs as Sternguard. They're actually arguably a better choice, mostly because they have more flexibile shooting options, and aren't paying a tonne for an inv. save that is just the same as their natural save... so that they die identically to normal marines to all but the heaviest firepower.

If you convert one or more units to have proper siege shields or whatever, I could see using the LOTD rules for a unit or more. Without that, I'm afraid, the inv. save will strain my credulity.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Bryan with a y?
27-09-2015, 18:21
Cheers for the replies everyone. Taking into account the concerns , I'm thinking of adding some painting touches to make them look a bit more daemonic, maybe something along the lines of blue plasma like effects on the armour/eyes/weapons rather then fire.

Another option would be adding blast shields to some of the modals.

Dr.Clock
27-09-2015, 20:53
One possibility for that would be Fantasy Chaos Shields... I kind of like the idea of having 'daemon shields'... it's possible that that kind of thing would be less risky to use and/or create than a proper daemon weapon. This will obviously depend on your IWs' attitude toward daemonancy in general... but trapping lesser daemons in a bunch of shields sounds like just the kind of harebrained scheme a Dark Mech nutter would come up with...

Alternatively, you could probably rationalize a sort of 'Iron Within' look, with a sort of Oblit virus leading to 'actual' iron skin/flesh. This might be harder to represent, but with a good number of bionic parts and a few siege shields + random daemonic glowing, it stands to be an interesting little conversion project.

Just for the record, actual Chaos Rapiers are pretty much MADE for Iron Warriors... I'm crafting up some counts-as for them out of some used Killa Kans and random pieces. A Heavy shooting IW list stands to be pretty decent if you go that route - a double CAD list featuring Oblits and Rapiers sounds like mad fun IMO. It's also worth noting that there should be some other CSM release out this year... hopefully making it more possible to field actual CSMs without feeling like you're handicapping yourself : P

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Bryan with a y?
29-09-2015, 01:13
The chaos fantasy shields would actually be pretty sweet! I think I'm settled on using the marine codex unless csm get legion rules and bring the emphasis back on the old school traitors. Not really interested in space pirates and their daemons! I have a few units I think with some minor conversions could look good in the iron warrior colours whilst not breaking fluff too much, bar maybe some grav weaponry use.

Ahem I mean super tooled, dark and chaotic firing warp weapon of doom and definitely not grav!