PDA

View Full Version : Lizards and skaven army

Vulgarsty
27-09-2015, 20:47
As i understand it you can field any of the models you own in an army. Ie a mixed dwarf/night goblin force. Surely this is wrong? Please tell me I have misunderstood.

Holier Than Thou
27-09-2015, 20:58
As i understand it you can field any of the models you own in an army. Ie a mixed dwarf/night goblin force. Surely this is wrong? Please tell me I have misunderstood.

You would think it was wrong. Alas, you understand it all to well, there is nothing to stop you mixing units from any faction.

blindingdark
27-09-2015, 21:21
In ages past, people were burned at the stake or stoned to death for far lesser crimes than fielding a joint Lizardman and Skaven army.

In today's Warhammer, this is unfortunately, perfectly acceptable.

samael
27-09-2015, 22:35
Yes, yes it is wrong. Perfectly fine according to the rules but so very very wrong.

Aezeal
27-09-2015, 22:39
I'd say you should stay within grand alliances preferably. And order and Chaos shouldn't mix at all.. death and destruction could mix with either as a sort of untrusted allies.. though order and destruction is stretching it already IMHO.

memitchell747
27-09-2015, 23:49
To thine own self be true.

Greyshadow
27-09-2015, 23:58
To be fair, AoS is much more a framework or a game engine in it's design. It is up to the players to decide how they would like to play, what teams each should use and what is balanced. Right or wrong, the game now puts it up to you and your opponent to decide if such match ups are allowed. In other words, this isn't a bug, it's a feature.

GrandmasterWang
28-09-2015, 06:15
To be fair, AoS is much more a framework or a game engine in it's design. It is up to the players to decide how they would like to play, what teams each should use and what is balanced. Right or wrong, the game now puts it up to you and your opponent to decide if such match ups are allowed. In other words, this isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Warhammer 8th Edition was an even better framework for the things you mentioned.

Imo 8th Edition is by far the best fantasy war gaming toolbox Gamed Workshop has ever released.

Lizard men and Skaven are enemies in Age of Sigmar just like they were in the old world

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ScruffMan
28-09-2015, 07:45
Warhammer 8th Edition was an even better framework for the things you mentioned.

Imo 8th Edition is by far the best fantasy war gaming toolbox Gamed Workshop has ever released.

Lizard men and Skaven are enemies in Age of Sigmar just like they were in the old world

Don't put them together then. If it offends you so much, don't play anyone who does so either. Or are you really so bothered by it that the very thought that someone, somewhere might be doing it is just to much for you?

GrandmasterWang
28-09-2015, 07:48
Don't put them together then. If it offends you so much, don't play anyone who does so either. Or are you really so bothered by it that the very thought that someone, somewhere might be doing it is just to much for you?

Who said I was offended or bothered?

I was merely pointing out that in both game worlds (Wfb and AOS) the lizardmen and skaven are opposing forces according to the background.

Simple to understand really, not sure why you seem so bothered or offended by my post ;)

Clewz
28-09-2015, 08:57
As long as there is a justifiable narrative there I don't see there being a problem, ie, the serphon are slaves. The only ones I would struggle with would be stormcasts or seraphon with daemons

Aezeal
28-09-2015, 10:18
Well Skaven are fully chaos now... and Seraphon order.. lore wise it would be a problem. The rules are flexible and allow it.. the lore does not.

Greyshadow
28-09-2015, 21:55

Oh, I absolutely agree. (I want to dig my heels in and play it forever). In the Storm of Magic expansion Lizardmen can summon daemons. Most of the noble Lizardmen generals out there though would rather lose every game than resort to doing that though. :)

Aezeal
28-09-2015, 22:00
Lizzies are Daemons in AoS :D.. celestial Daemons though n order faction.

Vulgarsty
28-09-2015, 23:43
Hmmm desperate allies I could swallow but actually part of the same army is too much to swallow. fluff wise its awful - contradictory, inconsistent and illogical, narrative wise it is absurd (beyond over using the slave explanation somebody gave) but more importantly can lead to some broken powergaming. I don't want to play against a confused and ugly jumble.

Closet_Geek
29-09-2015, 00:19
You haven't tried an AoS mash-up till you combine these two factions.

Rainbow unicorn kitty up the middle with Woody & Buzz hitting flanks is nigh unstoppable!!!!

Sorry.

AoS has broken me.
I've become,
comfortably numb.

Greyshadow
29-09-2015, 08:52
Lol - too much time on your hands there Closet! :)

Tokamak
29-09-2015, 15:12
I'd say you should stay within grand alliances preferably.

There's thing, that's what YOU are saying. But's according to GW it's perfectly fine to have a 50/50 night goblin/dwarf army.

Aezeal
29-09-2015, 15:18
There's thing, that's what YOU are saying. But's according to GW it's perfectly fine to have a 50/50 night goblin/dwarf army.

True, because AoS is a minimum restrictive ruleset. It's a ruleset you don't have to buy a large (expensive) 200 page book for. That means you can make the game and it's rules as you want. If you want to play a goblin dwarf army: GL.. I'd not play against you though. I think the AoS rules are ideal for tinkering with since they are clear and short. Even with a few more pages of a comp system you have short and crispy rules that can be used by even relatively new players (after they've expanded beyond the starterset which doesn't need additional rules).

GW isn't disallowing things if you think it's fun.. if you think dwarves and Goblins combined are fun.. and your oppontent thinks it's fun.. then who cares about the lore. I personally wouldn't touch the army wit a 10 foot pole (no I would.. I'd smack it from the table).

Lordmonkey
29-09-2015, 20:12
Sorry.

No you're not. And neither am I :)

Tokamak
29-09-2015, 20:25
True, because AoS is a minimum restrictive ruleset. It's a ruleset you don't have to buy a large (expensive) 200 page book for. That means you can make the game and it's rules as you want. If you want to play a goblin dwarf army: GL.. I'd not play against you though.

Therein lies the problem. Ofc all games are voluntary and everyone is free to decline anyone who's doing something they don't like. However, because of the minimalist rules the opponent's subjective taste suddenly has become a prevalent factor.

With a robust ruleset like 8th edition people could still decline players but it would be much less reasonable. After all, the game design already took out most of the unpleasant choices a player could make. To then refuse to play a player that's being perfectly legal is something you'd do much less than in AoS.

In other words, AoS turns both player into referees of each other.

Voss
29-09-2015, 22:45

Nope, its fine. Wiping the background means there are no unfluffy armies. Keep your models in a bucket and just dump some at random on the table : legal army.

Aezeal
29-09-2015, 23:05
Nope, its fine. Wiping the background means there are no unfluffy armies. Keep your models in a bucket and just dump some at random on the table : legal army.

Complete BS. There still is fluff and there are 4 opposing grand alliances.

Kherith
30-09-2015, 07:18
I actually played doubles against Lizards and Skaven last night. I don't like Lord Kroak and I like him even less when he's helping dirty rats kill my elves!

Holier Than Thou
30-09-2015, 07:20

There are 4 opposing grand alliances...............which can be totally ignored in-game if you want.

Holier Than Thou
30-09-2015, 07:22

There are 4 opposing grand alliances...............which can be totally ignored in-game if you want.

Aezeal
30-09-2015, 08:45

Yes.. but I was talking about the fluff. He said there are no unfluffy armies which is BS.

Aezeal
30-09-2015, 08:50
Therein lies the problem. Ofc all games are voluntary and everyone is free to decline anyone who's doing something they don't like. However, because of the minimalist rules the opponent's subjective taste suddenly has become a prevalent factor.

With a robust ruleset like 8th edition people could still decline players but it would be much less reasonable. After all, the game design already took out most of the unpleasant choices a player could make. To then refuse to play a player that's being perfectly legal is something you'd do much less than in AoS.

In other words, AoS turns both player into referees of each other.

Yes this is true. I think it is not so much of a problem though. Tournaments always have comps and the comps I'm seeing so far are smaller than the 8th edition comps where (mostly due to the TONS of rules that had to be FAQ-ed). I think not many people will bring such unfluffy (because they are unfluffy, because there IS fluff) anyway. I must say that when playing a casual 2 vs 2 game I would find it much less of a problem to see a mixed army.... I mean if I have a friend who only has chaos that doesn't change my woodelves in chaos suddenly (though I don't really play 2 vs 2).

Aezeal
30-09-2015, 08:51
I actually played doubles against Lizards and Skaven last night. I don't like Lord Kroak and I like him even less when he's helping dirty rats kill my elves!

Lord Kroak is some sort of minature Nagash I take it?

Drakkar du Chaos
30-09-2015, 08:55

FLUFF DOES NOT EQUAL RULES

This is a wargame, not Vampire The Masquerade

Zywus
30-09-2015, 10:05
Although AoS is more like some wierd cooperative role-playing game with miniatures than a 'proper' wargame.

You're not really playing against each other as much as mutually creating a narrative. At least that's how the game is best played (and the way it's supposed to be) according to it's proponents if I've understood them correctly.

Kherith
30-09-2015, 10:18
Lord Kroak is some sort of minature Nagash I take it?

Not as bad as Nagash but he does get 4 casting and unbind attempts is decent in combat and can't be killed by wounds you have to do enough wounds to make him fail what's essentially a battleshock test at bravery 10
10. It just means to guarantee he snuffs it you need to do 10 wounds on him in a single turn.

On its own it wouldn't be too bad except he doesn't need line of sight or range for some his spells, and he can use skink priests as a locus for the others.