PDA

View Full Version : Battletome Bloodbound: the good, the bad and the ugly

Turgol
28-09-2015, 01:05
This is small review of a book that really surprised me: the Bloodbound battletome. Before I get to the point let me tell you I was not looking forward to this, because a) the Sigmarine battletome dissapointed me and b) I have always disliked Chaos. I bought it mainly because I started painting the starter set Bloodbound and so said: why the hell not! But I was so distant to it that I bought the cheaper electronic version (which is great btw, just discovered that there is no point anymore on buying the enhanced edición). I was, however, very positively surprised to find out that it not only was a much better codex than the sigmarine one, but that it was also maybe the nicest chaos codex that GW has produced since 4th edition. Ir does have one major flaw though, as you will find out.

1) The good

Ok, the book is very good. Unlike the sigmarine book, you do get the feeling of the Bloodbound being an army which makes dense and in which every model released has its place. Better: it does really feel like a Khorne army should be. This is something which GW never managed to produce before.

The book also adds a lot to the setting. My main problem with the sigmarine one was that I felt it added nothing to the background. This is linked obviously to the fact that the other books are actually sigmarine books as well. The Bloodbound book it very refreshing.

The army is also really nice as well. This, of course, you all knew, but it combines really well with the other points.

The battleplans, specially the first one, feel different, challenging and fun.

The minor battalions are also quite good.

2) The bad

The book has one major flaw: the major battalion. Major battalions are linked to standard army building in 40k since january (necrons). They combine several smaller formations/battalions to reflect the way in which the army normally organizes itself. Having such formations usually gives you a major buff, which acts as a signature for the army. The Sigmarines, for instance, get access to precise deep striking. Khorne 's signature (Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows...), is a game changer rule. It makes you and your opponent play a battle in which if the Bloodbound ever wins momentum, they will win. So it makes things really interesting on many lvls.

I was really looking forward to the major warscroll to access to this, but it sucks. You have to take an 8 heroes battalion+a bloodwarriors one + 3-7 other minor battalions. Not only is this too big to be actually playable, but it also means that you will need at least 14 heroes to have one such army! That makes no sense. Worse: none Of those heroes can be a Might Lord. This is very unfluffy, as a warband needs to be comanded by them.

Now, I do understand that this battalion may represent a whole army, think full company like. So let's say it is a collectionist warscroll, not meant to be your average standard army. If so, you need another battalion to access the signature rule. But there is only one: the starter set army. Now if you have played before you will know that it is too small of an army to really make use of the rule. Starter set battles not only feel generally unbalanced, but frustrating for Khorne, in that you could still win if the battle was bigger. With too little units you cannot gain momentum.

This is the one thing in which the Stormcast battletome is better. They have several midsize major battalions to access signature buffs. Bloodbound do not. This is bad. Imo you can houserule it to make it enjoyable. But that will only work for basement battles. So yeah, bad job there.

3) The ugly

Skullreapers! Not only are they the only ugly Bloodbound unit, but they feature heavily on some nice (rulewise) battalions, including the standard bloodwarrior one. So you have to buy at least one of this ugly guys.

Jind_Singh
28-09-2015, 06:16
Thanks for this! I too was not impressed by the 1st book but have been secretly holding out that this book would be better. Feeling much better for going in this week to buy my copy!

Also really baffled by the major formations - sure, provide a MEGA formation or two - but surely makes a heck of a lot more sense to include several small to mid-range ones to encourage folks to collect and use the gorgeous miniatures!

Makes no sense

GrandmasterWang
28-09-2015, 06:20
Thank you very much for the review Turgol.

Much appreciated. The last Battletome thread (Dreadhold) created on this board was locked for no reason at all so I hope that this one is left alone to run its natural course.

I had no idea Skull reapers featured so heavily

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

thesoundofmusica
28-09-2015, 07:28
I suspected as much when I was browsing GW yesterday for the battle tome and some characters to go with it. Skull reapers were linked everywhere.

That said, nice review and I'm glad to hear it's mostly positive. My Firestorm armada terrain is coming along much faster than I thought and after some deliberation my plan is to pick up both Stormcast and Bloodbound. They will help reinforce my existing armies for bigger battles, if nothing else.

GrandmasterWang
28-09-2015, 07:52
Is Skarbrand in the Battletomb?

Fleshhounds?

Or is it mortal followers only? I read somewhere that Valkia was in it.

Just wondering about the Fleshhounds because the Khorne Lord has one

Spiney Norman
28-09-2015, 08:05
I think you can make decent looking skull reapers by conflating them with wrath monger parts, the bare heads in the set are dreadful and so are the daemon weapons, the wrath mongers helmets are nice so I'd use those but give them blades instead of the dumb looking flail-hammers.

Is Skarbrand in the Battletomb?

Fleshhounds?

Or is it mortal followers only? I read somewhere that Valkia was in it.

Just wondering about the Fleshhounds because the Khorne Lord has one

There are no daemons in it apart from the mighty lord's hound, skarbrand's description mentions a Khorne daemon faction so we may get a separate battle tome for them at some point.

Turgol
28-09-2015, 14:47
Although Skullreapers are ugly, they are fine by me as a unit. They are pretty much just elite infantry. So I guess we can live with them with some conversion. What really bothers me are the major battalions (well, actually the major battalion here). You need 8 heroes formation+little warband+3-7 other smaller formations. That is a lot. I could actually live with it if each of this smaller formation did not have one or two heroes which need to be included in them (the exception being the Wrathmonger formation). So you need 8 heroes from Gorechosen formation, then 2 from the smaller warband one, and then more heroes from the 3-7 aditional? That makes no sense at all. And again: there is no mighty lord in there! In fact there is only one formation with a Might Lord, namely the starter set one. I think they simply made a mistake with that one.

ScruffMan
28-09-2015, 17:53
Although Skullreapers are ugly, they are fine by me as a unit. They are pretty much just elite infantry. So I guess we can live with them with some conversion. What really bothers me are the major battalions (well, actually the major battalion here). You need 8 heroes formation+little warband+3-7 other smaller formations. That is a lot. I could actually live with it if each of this smaller formation did not have one or two heroes which need to be included in them (the exception being the Wrathmonger formation). So you need 8 heroes from Gorechosen formation, then 2 from the smaller warband one, and then more heroes from the 3-7 aditional? That makes no sense at all. And again: there is no mighty lord in there! In fact there is only one formation with a Might Lord, namely the starter set one. I think they simply made a mistake with that one.

Did the Stormcast book have Vandus (or Lord Celestant on Dracoth) in other formations than the starter set one? I think it does right? That is strange indeed.

Kegslayer
28-09-2015, 18:04
Having had the book for over a week I had gave it a good read. Infinitely better than the stormcast one. The background, extra character info etc felt very well done. The massive battalions are meh but the smaller ones are all useful and will beat out most others. Out of the wrathmongers and blood reapers id take the reapers every day. The wrathmonger models are rubbish compared to the reapers from the same box

Turgol
28-09-2015, 18:18
Having had the book for over a week I had gave it a good read. Infinitely better than the stormcast one. The background, extra character info etc felt very well done. The massive battalions are meh but the smaller ones are all useful and will beat out most others. Out of the wrathmongers and blood reapers id take the reapers every day. The wrathmonger models are rubbish compared to the reapers from the same box

Don't get me wrong: I agree with you there. After Sigmarin BT, I had lost confidence on having good codexes for AoS. But this one is great as a background codex and it makes a great looking and feeling army. It is just the major battalions part which is as bad as it gets.

Spiney Norman
28-09-2015, 18:40
I was really looking forward to the major warscroll to access to this, but it sucks. You have to take an 8 heroes battalion+a bloodwarriors one + 3-7 other minor battalions. Not only is this too big to be actually playable, but it also means that you will need at least 14 heroes to have one such army! That makes no sense. Worse: none Of those heroes can be a Might Lord. This is very unfluffy, as a warband needs to be comanded by them.

It's worse than that actually, one of the benefits of the major batallion specifically enhances the Mighty Lord of Khorne's dispel ability but there is no way to actually include him in the batallion, which is far too many levels of stupid for me to even comprehend. I figure this is an oversight and either the Mighty Lord should be a requirement of the the major batallion or at least one of the batallions that make it up.

Vazalaar
28-09-2015, 20:05
Enjoyable review!

Lordmonkey
28-09-2015, 20:25
I had lost confidence on having good codexes for AoS. But this one is great as a background codex

Army. Book.

*whisperwhisper*

What? Whats a "Battle Tome"? :confused:

GrandmasterWang
29-09-2015, 02:11
It's great to read people are positive about the background.

The Khorgorath unit entry is in there right? Any cool stories involving them?

I personally can't stand the cover art which is a major hindrance to me wanting to purchase it, I even prefer the 8th Vampire Counts cover if we are talking cartoony style. A damn shame as it seems this is by far the superior book to tge Stormcast one however I really like the Stormcast cover so am very disappointed by this one.... especially considering all the awesome covers they could potentially have gone with.

Are there any of the old Blanche style art in the book (not necessarily by him) or is it all the new high colour computer style art?

Does the book talk at all about how Khorne/Bloodbound view the Stormcasts or new races as opponents?

Any way thanks for the opinions on the book.

Anyone tried any of the scenarios contained therein?

Yrch
29-09-2015, 10:41
Can't wait to get my hands on this book.
The Stormcast book was a letdown after reading the two bigger campagne books because it barley offerd new background info (the main reason why i plan on buying the BTs....) so its nice to hear that the BB offers more.
Now waiting for a tzeentch book...

Astraeos
29-09-2015, 16:19
Now waiting for a tzeentch book...

You and me both!

Kerrahn
01-10-2015, 07:24
While the big formation (Bloodbound Warhorde I think) is, as stated, impractical to field in a normal game, if you do manage to field everything all the smaller formations combo quite well together, especially since the Warhorde affects I'm pretty sure all Khorne mortal units with 1 of its' abilities. So much ability to stack +1A bonuses from all sorts of sources, so would not be surprised to see models with over 6 attacks each if done right.

As for the book itself, have read a little bit so far, and definitely like the descriptions of the 'Warhorde' and the 'politics' often involving the bladed edge of an axe. What I have seen so far is definitely better than BT: Stormcast Eternals, which is even better for me since I've played Chaos for about a decade, and Khorne has the greatest representation in my collection (although I do collect all 4 Gods in WoC, and all but Nurgle in DoC but hoping to get them soon).