PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Future

Drakkar du Chaos
28-09-2015, 12:30
Polls! More polls! All the polls. Polls for the poll god! Polls for the poll throne!

Herzlos
28-09-2015, 13:50
Malifaux/Frostgrave for my Fantasy fix.

Khastarax
28-09-2015, 13:55
Isn't everything already captured in the different topics? Do we need another one? Isn't it just that we're all in a different stage of denial/anger/bargaining stage of grief and that we're looking for a way to emit the anger through bargaining with our peers? Don't think that new things can be said...

I'm still there... but try to move on. All this negativity just brings a big spiral downwards. I rather focus on the good times of miniature (gaming) and don't want to foul my hobbytime and energy with it.

vlad78
28-09-2015, 13:58
Malifaux/Frostgrave for my Fantasy fix.

KOW for mine.

Lars Porsenna
28-09-2015, 15:26
Intend to play 8th for as long as I can. Also will look at KoW, and have already picked up Frostgrave (which is not a substitute for Warhammer, but a nice game in and of itself).

Damon.

Kelesis
28-09-2015, 15:36
Warmahordes is my new game. I'm sad, but GW killed my interest in their products with AoS.

Zywus
28-09-2015, 16:01
KoW for my fantasy needs.

40k has jumped the shark with it's formations. I'm still interested in 30K, so hopefully GW proper stay out of it apart from producing some plastic models or they'll probably f it up as well.

Davidian
28-09-2015, 17:42
My answer has been, screw GW, screw AoS, screw 40k and hello new toys from other places that are affordable, hand sculpted (yes that makes a difference to me) and either don't need continued support (bloodbowl, 6th edition etc) or is well supported (Mantic with their crazy rules committees and open beta rule testing.... surely that much market research is bad for a complany!)

Vazalaar
28-09-2015, 18:34
I chosed the fourth option. 8th edition with Furion his 'Reworked and Balanced' update. It's very good.

When 9th reaches version 1.0, I will test that too.

Tupinamba
28-09-2015, 19:07
Isn't everything already captured in the different topics? Do we need another one? Isn't it just that we're all in a different stage of denial/anger/bargaining stage of grief and that we're looking for a way to emit the anger through bargaining with our peers? Don't think that new things can be said...

I'm still there... but try to move on. All this negativity just brings a big spiral downwards. I rather focus on the good times of miniature (gaming) and don't want to foul my hobbytime and energy with it.

I think that this poll is quite different from others, as it is concerned about the future of fantasy gaming. And hence my answer here is different than in the poll about "what have you been playing".

Ive been playing Wrath of Kings in the last weeks, but see KOW as the future for fantasy mass battle gaming, together with other alternatives like Warthrone and even 8th ed.

Voss
28-09-2015, 19:22
Waiting to see what options the future actually holds. Didn't disrupt my WM/H games, and nothing else is really making the rounds around here. Personally I'll look into new companies as they happen.

I guess 'don't care about GW' is the only option that applies. They've burned all their bridges at this point.

Tarliyn
28-09-2015, 19:58
So my answer is: Play AoS with light house ruling with people who aren't jerks and want to have a fun game.

Lordmonkey
28-09-2015, 20:26
Moo Moo KoW.

DarkChaplain
28-09-2015, 20:43
I used to read plenty of Black Library's stories and novels, up until this year. Now I'm just finishing what I started and reading the first few Age of Sigmar stories, more out of a sense of "I have to see this trainwreck and come to terms with it" than because I'm actually enjoying it.

GW priced me out of the hobby long ago, and BL novels were my go-to thing for staying in touch with Fantasy (and 40k), but the less Fantasy they commissioned, the less I cared about their products in general. If anything, I'd describe my feelings with apathy. I still browse their sites, but haven't seen anything to really get me excited in over half a year. It doesn't help that there's been a massive shift in design philosophy pushed since GW took over Black Library, prioritizing action over substance even further.

I started reading Warmachine/Hordes fiction last year or so, and enjoyed most of the novellas Privateer Press put out so far. Sadly, their output is very, very slow (a novel that was scheduled for last october still hasn't been released, for example), so it isn't really a full-fledged alternative yet for me. Are there any other manufacturers who have started putting out fiction separate from their rulebooks to support their games?

As for GW, there's still the odd miniature I'd like to paint and put on my shelf (pretty much all old WHFB stuff), but at this point I can't justify it to myself to spend that money on a company that has so thoroughly disappointed me and taken away what actually got me into the hobby all those long years ago. I have become so entirely bitter about their business practices and philosophies, I don't want to get drawn back in.

Oh well, maybe I'm gonna try X-Wing or Armada soon. Seems far more affordable and quick anyway. The KoW rulebook seems like it'd be a worthwhile purchase too.

gormaster
29-09-2015, 16:23
None of the answers provided really work for me. While I have moved on to the hack and slash world of wargaming in the Dark Ages I still want to see GW punished for what they have done.
I guess I should have been born an inquisitor, Or better still I could draw the blood eagle on their back!

SuperHappyTime
29-09-2015, 21:01
I can understand the opinion of everyone who is voting in this poll. Well, except for these guys:

AoS is fine for me like this and/or waiting for more content and i am in.

Seek help from your nearest mental institution! Now! AoS needs a rules overhaul and you are drowning in Egypt's largest river if you don't believe otherwise!

Commissar Vaughn
29-09-2015, 22:48
The only way is KOW.

mashkeyboardgetusername
29-09-2015, 23:28
Please don't make jokes about suicide. Even this tangentially it's unnecessary.

MagicAngle
30-09-2015, 02:16
Wait - did someone make a joke about suicide? Or is this some cryptic reference to AoS I'm missing?

Rogue
30-09-2015, 02:59
As I started a website for the middle hammer crowd at www.classichammer.com, I am planning on playing the 6th for the indefinite future.

herohammer
01-10-2015, 08:22
Done with GW for the time being. I am having a blast playing Malifaux, Battletech, Arkham Horror, and the CCG Shadowfist lately. I am planning on trying out Shadowsea/Deepwars, Kings of War, Wrath of Kings, Wargods of Aegyptus, Strange Aeons second edition, and Starfleet Battles/Federation Commander as soon as I get a chance.

BeardMonk
01-10-2015, 08:30
Warmahordes is my new game. I'm sad, but GW killed my interest in their products with AoS.

How have you found it? Im mainly a WM/H player but quite a few people down the club are looking at joining our games. Interested to hear your experience compared to WF.

Niall78
01-10-2015, 10:34
Done with GW for the time being. I am having a blast playing Malifaux, Battletech, Arkham Horror, and the CCG Shadowfist lately. I am planning on trying out Shadowsea/Deepwars, Kings of War, Wrath of Kings, Wargods of Aegyptus, Strange Aeons second edition, and Starfleet Battles/Federation Commander as soon as I get a chance.

So many great games - so little time!

Strange Aeons looks interesting. I got Mansions of Madness last year to dip my toe into an Eldritch type setting. I have to say the Mrs and myself loved it. First time I've heard of Strange Aeons - thanks for the heads-up I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it now.

On a side note all the chat in this forum about all the different games people are trying is great. I'm hearing about stuff for the first time or getting player accounts of systems I've only briefly checked out before. The only problem is finding the time to get involved in most of them!

Karak Norn Clansman
01-10-2015, 10:43
Please don't make jokes about suicide. Even this tangentially it's unnecessary.

Agreed. Do refrain from certain jokes for the sake of decency and empathy.

Kegslayer
01-10-2015, 10:55
All in for AoS. If it wasn't for AoS id and a few others would still never touch fantasy.

Personally hoping they do the same for 40k as that's a total mess currently and just pointless

El_Commi
01-10-2015, 11:05
Malifaux for me too.

I'm playing the odd game of Aos with my group, and have a game of 8th planned for Saturday. But my heart isn't in it any more; guessing I'm waiting for army building options and to see the direction of the undead first but as of the moment I've kinda lost interested in AoS/GW.

I started Malifaux a month or so ago, and love it. Just got my hands on the Pandora box set and a new airbrush (it was my brithday last week and my partner outdid herself!). So with painting the Malifaux starter set and trying to learn how to airbrush I've been busy :p

*edit*
I've also got a game of Firestorm Armada pegged in for Tuesday. I have the Aquan fleet from the starter set and no idea what to do :p

AoS has been good to me I think, it's weened me off the GW teet.

Shandor
01-10-2015, 11:10
Well i care for GW but they dont care for me.

I loved to play in one of the Local GW Stores in my City. But now i dont want to play this GW Games because they are bad and something else i cant play in the GW Stores.. so i play nothing right now.

Spiney Norman
01-10-2015, 15:18
All in for AoS. If it wasn't for AoS id and a few others would still never touch fantasy.

Personally hoping they do the same for 40k as that's a total mess currently and just pointless

Actually I'm hoping they go the other way with 40k, rein it back in rather than derestrict it completely. It's clear that GW lost a lot of customers over the transition to AoS (which is partly because they completely botched up the transitional period), and while they could afford to absorb the losses from wfb I very much doubt they could survive a similar exodus of 40k gamers, especially if they nuke the setting in a similar way to how they killed wfb.

The problem is that really understanding how AoS works best necessitates a completely different mindset and approach to the game compared to wfb and 40k, both those games are about hardcore list building, maximising your most efficient choices and minimising or removing your liabilities and that is what the majority of 40k gamers think a war game is (observe the number of times since the release of AoS people pipe up parroting the 'AoS is not a game' line). Many people simply upped and left wfb simply because AoS was not what they expected it to be and they weren't prepared to adjust their expectations and give the game a go long enough to discover how good it really is. If the same thing happened with GW's best selling game it could very well be the end of the company.

NoobLord
02-10-2015, 01:29
Frostgrave all the way for me though I have bought some GW skeleton warriors, might get some Fenrisian wolves and have half an eye on the metal wizards' familiars (for use as 'small constructs'). Almost forgot I also got a Garden of Morr but that's about it in the entire GW range that's on my radar.

wyvirn
03-10-2015, 15:58
Delete me.

shelfunit.
03-10-2015, 18:01
Sadly with only one option it was Oldhammer & Ebay from me, but in addition other games and KoW will be taking the place of anything new from GW.

NagashLover
03-10-2015, 19:05
I voted for "new toy" even though what I have been playing I have been playing for awhile now. Right now we play older systems of Warhammer (just as we did during 8th) as well as multiple other systems.

Despite the chicken little mentality it is still completely possible and rational to use your models for older editions of Warhammer (I know such a shocking revelation).

Lordmonkey
03-10-2015, 22:32
Thats just crazy talk mister.

Kyriakin
04-10-2015, 08:32
Despite the chicken little mentality it is still completely possible and rational to use your models for older editions of Warhammer (I know such a shocking revelation).
I have an even more shocking revelation.

Not everyone lives in a huge catchment area, where opponents for out-of-production games can be readily found.

Or are you expecting players to play as both sides, against themselves?