PDA

View Full Version : Cultists are like Smarties. They all look different, but taste the same.

Getifa Ubazza
30-09-2015, 16:26
I know my thread titles are silly, but they usually do relate to the subject in some way.

I just counted up my Chaos Cultists and I have 35. Thing is they are all armed differently. As long as my army has no other Cultists in it, would you be OK with me saying that it's just 35 Cultists with no upgrades?

The rest of the army would be WYSIWYG.

Thanks

Okuto
30-09-2015, 16:44
As long as you say it ahead of time it doesn't matter IMO.

I still have my old mutants from the EoT latd army and count them as cultists even thought many of them dont even have guns.

Even the newer cultists I just mix and match them and count them as having ccw/ap even when some of them clearly don't have such equipment. Just tell your opponent ahead of time and it should be alright, I don't think they'll insist you go buy "properly armed" cultists to play.

Dr.Clock
30-09-2015, 17:06
I use beastmen. They aren't even converted, and since they're in a Khorne ; ) horde, they don't tend to do much shooting, mostly just dying and/or standing around. Opponents don't seem to mind at all.

Kill Maim Burn!

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Lord Damocles
30-09-2015, 17:49
Autoguns are per model upgrades, so you could just run them WYSIWYG.

Getifa Ubazza
30-09-2015, 18:11
Autoguns are per model upgrades, so you could just run them WYSIWYG.

I know I could just pay the extra points to make it WYSIWYG, but if I do that, that's 29pts of upgrades I'm never likely to ever use.

Latro_
30-09-2015, 18:56
I use beastmen. They aren't even converted, and since they're in a Khorne ; ) horde, they don't tend to do much shooting, mostly just dying and/or standing around. Opponents don't seem to mind at all.

Kill Maim Burn!

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

those laspistols be um... throwing axes! :D

mine are mixed i use them as ccw/pistol been to 5 tournaments with the army never had a problem

gwarsh41
30-09-2015, 19:00
those laspistols be um... throwing axes! :D

They ran out of ammo before the battle!

Clang
30-09-2015, 20:20
They ran out of ammo before the battle!

Seriously, yes - paint the guns all rusty and damaged, bend or break a few gun barrels, add a few improvised bayonets/blades/spikes, and hooray, they're hand-to-hand weapons.

(In some cases, you can similarly 'down-grade' guns into counts-as pistols by 'sawing' off the gun barrel ends, but that depends on the specific models and hand positions.)

But yeah, you'll always need to remember to tell your opponent that the whole unit counts-as whatever, to avoid in-game arguments.

Malakai
30-09-2015, 20:52
I want to turn a twenty strong unit of Warhammer Fanatics into Cultists but I cant seem to find any autopistols/autoguns anywhere. Any ideas?

Dr.Clock
30-09-2015, 21:49
If you feel like spending another .50-1.00 per model, I'd suggest trawling through any number of 3rd party sculptors. GW doesn't run tournaments, and even if they did, a couple non-GW guns is unlikely to raise eyebrows. Also, you can usually get by converting 'some' of the guys in a unit... I throw some of my 'evil scouts' in my mobs from time to time, and just claim that any shooting casualities come from them : P

I flippin LOVE Victoria Miniatures' style... if I ever take the plunge to actually put guns on my Gors and Ungors, I'll likely be using these: http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/hard-calibre-bolt-wheelgun-x5

those laspistols be um... throwing axes!

... pretty much, yup... in all seriousness, I just... don't ever really fire them. I use 2x8 cultists as chaffe in my KDK, and I don't think they've ever actually done anything to any enemy units.

I'm also pretty near complete on my AoS bloodreavers - I converted about 1/3 of them to have a mixture of bolt pistols, bolters and a couple flamers. I'm planning on running my 40+ beastmen + 20 Reavers +15 'Possessed Scouts' as a Renegades and Heretics and/or Heresy-era Khorne-mob. The rules in both those lists actually allow for units with no ranged weapons... Khornate mutant rabble FTW!

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Spleendokta
01-10-2015, 16:06
They all have the 'Mark of Dave'

Retrospectus
01-10-2015, 22:00
I want to turn a twenty strong unit of Warhammer Fanatics into Cultists but I cant seem to find any autopistols/autoguns anywhere. Any ideas?
you could also use lasguns/pistols seeing as they're identical rules-wise

Latro_
02-10-2015, 10:00
If you feel like spending another .50-1.00 per model, I'd suggest trawling through any number of 3rd party sculptors. GW doesn't run tournaments, and even if they did, a couple non-GW guns is unlikely to raise eyebrows. Also, you can usually get by converting 'some' of the guys in a unit... I throw some of my 'evil scouts' in my mobs from time to time, and just claim that any shooting casualities come from them : P

I flippin LOVE Victoria Miniatures' style... if I ever take the plunge to actually put guns on my Gors and Ungors, I'll likely be using these: http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/hard-calibre-bolt-wheelgun-x5

... pretty much, yup... in all seriousness, I just... don't ever really fire them. I use 2x8 cultists as chaffe in my KDK, and I don't think they've ever actually done anything to any enemy units.

I'm also pretty near complete on my AoS bloodreavers - I converted about 1/3 of them to have a mixture of bolt pistols, bolters and a couple flamers. I'm planning on running my 40+ beastmen + 20 Reavers +15 'Possessed Scouts' as a Renegades and Heretics and/or Heresy-era Khorne-mob. The rules in both those lists actually allow for units with no ranged weapons... Khornate mutant rabble FTW!

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

aw dude, never underestimate mass s3! my grots killed 3 terminators in their last game pew pew pew

Dr.Clock
04-10-2015, 19:29
But I have to run closer so I can hit them with my axe!

I just noticed that Mutant Rabble actually do have laspistols or autopistols... but with Rage from combat stims, rerolling wounds in the first round from a Khorne covenant and even the potential of Hammer of Wrath or causing Fear on weak enemies, I am most often just going to take the d6" move to get closer and keep the pressure up.

I'm really looking forward to using Beastmen and such in Heresy games... Feral Abhuman Helots sounds about right; ending up with WS4, T4 and 2A (+1 for 2ccw), may have I2, but at 85 points for 20 guys... job's a good 'un. Heck... 175 for 20 grenadiers with all the above stats, plus S4 and a 4+ save also sounds pretty darn fun, and just about right for those oversized Bloodreaver models lol.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Getifa Ubazza
04-10-2015, 20:02
Just posting to say, I decided in the end to just split them into ranged and CC. 18 ranged guys will be painted up as Tzeentch and 12 CC guys will be painted up as Slaanesh. My 32 Beastmen will be Khorne and I don't know about Nurgle. I will need to find Cultists for Nurgle. I suppose I could just use Zombies, but that seems boring for some reason.

blackcherry
06-10-2015, 11:54
Just posting to say, I decided in the end to just split them into ranged and CC. 18 ranged guys will be painted up as Tzeentch and 12 CC guys will be painted up as Slaanesh. My 32 Beastmen will be Khorne and I don't know about Nurgle. I will need to find Cultists for Nurgle. I suppose I could just use Zombies, but that seems boring for some reason.

Whatever you do, perhaps scatter a few Nurglings in on single bases perhaps? Would look great aesthetically.

Getifa Ubazza
06-10-2015, 12:55
Whatever you do, perhaps scatter a few Nurglings in on single bases perhaps? Would look great aesthetically.

Yes, that will look pretty good.

I changed a few things though. I'm going to use 18 ranged Cultists as Tzeentch, 14 CC Cultists as Nurgle and I will put a few Nurglings on some of their bases. I'm going to use 32 Beastmen Gors as Khorne Cultists and use Ungors with bows as Slaanesh Cultists with ranged weapons.

I will have 8 Beastmen left over, they will be used in my Chaos Bloodbowl team.

Thanks for the suggestion.