PDA

View Full Version : What SM Chapter Would You do a Crusading Army From?

Lamont Cranston
02-10-2015, 21:29
If you were going to do a Crusade SM army, but choose one of the first founding chapters and then do squads and such from their successor chapters which would you do? I mean like all Blood Angels (1 tac squad from Blood Angels, one assault squad from Flesh Tearers, a dev squad from Lamenters, etc).

Hicks
03-10-2015, 06:08
Ultramarines. They are a cool chapter and they have tons of successors.

Okuto
03-10-2015, 06:53
I'd say imperial fists....purely cause you have more interesting choices to pick from their successors. Most of the smurf successors are just carbon copies. Sure they have sheer numbers but their successors don't really do anything their parent chapter already does.

Frankly though I think a crusade army works better if you just grab from your favorite chapters. It's more interesting to paint and you aren't limiting yourself. Crusade style forces are usually heavily mixed anyways with whatever chapter is in the area. Sure the smurfs get to lead armies made up of their successors but they're smurfs....they get to do anything.

Episkey
04-10-2015, 07:01
I'd go Space Wolves with the companies...

Or Ultramarines. A lot of creation possibilities (known and unknown) which gives you a HUGE amount of possibilities for conversion.
Plus you get to make a good use of the traits gamewise...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Dr.Clock
04-10-2015, 16:57
Dark Angels is also a good pick IMO - the Unforgiven often work very closely together.

Beyond that, I'm always a fan of Badab stuff... a crusading force of repentant survivors from Mantis Warriors, Executioners and Lamenters would be pretty fun I think...

I painted up my Space Hulk Termies as Lamenters - some day soon I'll be using them with my Salamander Terminators... the story being that the Lamenters have more or less joined up with the Salamanders in penance for their past actions... an 'honour guard' of their terminators now assisting the strikeforce that were once their enemies.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

LegioDestructor
05-10-2015, 16:21
My favourite loyalist Legion is the Salamanders, so... yeah.

After that, I like the Iron Hands the most however a Crusading army of their successors might be difficult. I've read fluff that the Brazen Claws have succumbed to Chaos. I've read fluff that the Steel Confessors were created by the AdMech using IH geneseed but were later "reassigned" by the Inquisition - so technically a successor but not really a successor? The Sons of Medusa would probably not be willing to go along with anything less than a very serious threat to the Iron Hands or the Imperium itself (Black Crusades / Tyranids).

Dark Angels would not only work cohesively but look great. I've liked their iconography since Angels of Death way back in '96 and would love to do an Ironwing detachment.

A crusading force of repentant survivors from Mantis Warriors, Executioners, and Lamenters would be pretty fun I think... I've had this idea kicking around for a long while, either set early in the Badab War with a few units of each of those three Chapters in a "main" Astral Claws force, or set afterwards during their Penitence led by a founding Legion.

Okuto
05-10-2015, 16:38
After that, I like the Iron Hands the most however a Crusading army of their successors might be difficult

Iron hands leading anything is difficult;) they're notoriously un-charismatic and cold towards allies to the point they have unrealistic expectations of them. Also there's always a dastardly ultramarine hanging about when chapters have to vote on who will lead the allied force:p

Like the campaign for Medusa V, that ought to of been a Iron Hands led operation but some smurf had to butt in take the veins.

Asi the Red
05-10-2015, 22:56
I've always wanted to do a force of marines representing the marine forces attached to an Imperial Crusade. So the idea being that it's pretty rare for entire companies to be loaned out, but if a Crusade was being put together it's commander might send petitions to all nearby chapters (remember SM chapters are essentially autonomous so they're not assigned like IG/AM are, you ask them for help or call in a favor they owe you). Then all the chapters involved would get together and decide who's technically in command so that all requests for SM assistance from Crusade high command go through one high ranking space marine.

So my crusade force might end up with (for example) tactical squads from the Praetors of Orpheus and the Imperial Fists, some miscellaneous scout squads, assaults from the Red Hunters, an Angels Encarmine terminator squad, and some predators and techmarine support from the Iron Hands.

Mawduce
05-10-2015, 23:22
Ultramarines. They are a cool chapter and they have tons of successors.

Get... out...

More importantly the Sons of Dorn, Imperial Fists have the best options for a crusade. Hell the Black Templars are constantly on crusade so right there you have the most experienced and largest faction of Marines right there at their disposal. Between the Imperial Fist tactics of siege warfare with their bases and the Black Templars Fleet combined with Templar ferocity they are nearly unmatched for a crusade.

Bob Hunk
06-10-2015, 13:47
Another vote for Imperial Fists and successors, as crusading is one of their "things", plus you'd get a nice spread of colour schemes and rules and characters, e.g. Sentinels of Terra, Black Templars chapter tactics, Pedro Kantor, Lysander, etc. :cool:

Dark Angels would be a close second, as it'd be cool to see all their successor chapters reassemble into a Legion again. ;)

MongooseFire
06-10-2015, 15:14
I'm currently working on a crusade force of Masters of Protelus as the main detachment, with Space Wolves and Blood Angels.

However, If I was starting from scratch I think I would choose Dark Angels and their successors if I had to pick a 1st founding legion - would make a great thematic force.

Dr.Clock
06-10-2015, 16:19
I think my choice would depend on how similar I wanted all the various schemes to be...

Unforgiven and Ultra Successors tend to have similar colours (green/bone/black; blue/white/red), whereas the Imperial Fists seem to have more variety, and indeed more cited Successors with 'unknown' heraldry. The Ultras do have a few with 'off theme' colours, though... so they're probably the 'middle' choice - as always.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Charistoph
06-10-2015, 16:45
Also consider that with the Formations from the recent Codex: Marines and Codex: Dark Angels, you could actually field multiple Chapter Tactics, including the Forgworld ones, in your army quite effectively. They may not all be part of a Gladius Strike Force, but you could get close.

Lord Damocles
06-10-2015, 18:05
Like the campaign for Medusa V, that ought to of been a Iron Hands led operation but some smurf had to butt in take the veins.
I'm not sure that the Iron hands were even there during the fall of Medusa V.

Sicarius was in charge because he was the hero of the Medusa Schism 250 years earlier, and he was the first to respond to the planet's call for aid.

Sir Arkalots
06-10-2015, 20:44
Imperial Fists, for two reasons. 1) Rogal Dorn was awesome. An *******, but awesome. 2) Black Templars. My second choice would probably be a tie between Salamanders (despite only having like 2 successors) and White Scars.

Okuto
06-10-2015, 21:13
I'm not sure that the Iron hands were even there during the fall of Medusa V.

Sicarius was in charge because he was the hero of the Medusa Schism 250 years earlier, and he was the first to respond to the planet's call for aid.

The Iron hands were there but in a very minor role(I recall them getting a light mention in one of the end of the week reports), as if the writer suddenly remembered "hey its called Medusa V, probably should mention the iron hands, ok check now back to ultramarines:p"

Don't mind me, I'm just a old fashioned resentful smurf hater;), Gulliman's ok in my book but the rest of them can go save the day else where, there's other marines out there doing just as good work as those holier than thou blue locust known as the ultramarines

shabbadoo
08-10-2015, 08:41
If you were going to do a Crusade SM army, but choose one of the first founding chapters and then do squads and such from their successor chapters which would you do?
Dark Angels, but not because they are, like, totally working together, or anything (their armor colors are totally different!). :p

insectum7
08-10-2015, 16:55
I think my choice would depend on how similar I wanted all the various schemes to be...

Unforgiven and Ultra Successors tend to have similar colours (green/bone/black; blue/white/red). . .

I got the feeling that the Ultra successors were all over the map in terms of colors, even silver and gold. I think in-universe the color options for any successor chapter from any original legion are wide open, considering the ten thousand years of chapter spawning.

Don't mind me, I'm just a old fashioned resentful smurf hater;), Gulliman's ok in my book but the rest of them can go save the day else where, there's other marines out there doing just as good work as those holier than thou blue locust known as the ultramarines

Bahh, you're just envious 'cuz you know you want to be one :P

Charistoph
08-10-2015, 17:16
I got the feeling that the Ultra successors were all over the map in terms of colors, even silver and gold. I think in-universe the color options for any successor chapter from any original legion are wide open, considering the ten thousand years of chapter spawning.

"Ultramarines are Tervigons!"

Bahh, you're just envious 'cuz you know you want to be one :P

Sorry, didn't hear you, too busy Crusading! No time to be envious of anything but the Marshalls leading the charge.

Dr.Clock
08-10-2015, 18:47

Yeah - looking into it on Lexicanum, there are a coupe greens and reds and metallics. There are also a few that are largely indistinguishable from UM aside from some trim details and chapter symbols.

Unfortunately, to my mind, many of the UM successors fall into the 'boring' category of just a single colour for armour generally... they do have some of my favourite schemes, though... notably for the Mortifactors. Imperial Fists are guilty of this as well, in places... I think it's partially a symptom of the design studio just wanting to avoid overly complex schemes. But there's also the issue of 'temperment and attitude'. From Ultras and Unforgiven, you get the sense that the 'true successors' of the first few foundings really act in ways similar to the parent chapter. The IF pseudo-schism, however, leads you to a less than simple 'Legion-to-Successor cultural transmission', and thus for greater variety, and potentially interesting dynamics among those chapters.

This is one of the reasons I like the Badab schemes... they all feel different, and have 'properly developed' heraldic styles/cultures.

If I were to create a crusading force 'from whole cloth' so to speak, I'd definitely go for a more varied approach for each chapter... from 'paragon of virtue' bright and shiny chapter through to 'vicious insano' hard bitten raggedy chapter. There's no reason you can't just invent a few schemes to go where your paint brush takes you...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Okuto
08-10-2015, 21:08
IBahh, you're just envious 'cuz you know you want to be one :P

Of course;) who wouldn't want to get out of this dump they call the CSM codex and move into that shiny trendy neighborhood GW keeps raining funds on:(

unwanted
11-10-2015, 10:08
Yeah - looking into it on Lexicanum, there are a coupe greens and reds and metallics. There are also a few that are largely indistinguishable from UM aside from some trim details and chapter symbols.

Unfortunately, to my mind, many of the UM successors fall into the 'boring' category of just a single colour for armour generally... they do have some of my favourite schemes, though... notably for the Mortifactors. Imperial Fists are guilty of this as well, in places... I think it's partially a symptom of the design studio just wanting to avoid overly complex schemes. But there's also the issue of 'temperment and attitude'. From Ultras and Unforgiven, you get the sense that the 'true successors' of the first few foundings really act in ways similar to the parent chapter. The IF pseudo-schism, however, leads you to a less than simple 'Legion-to-Successor cultural transmission', and thus for greater variety, and potentially interesting dynamics among those chapters.

This is one of the reasons I like the Badab schemes... they all feel different, and have 'properly developed' heraldic styles/cultures.

If I were to create a crusading force 'from whole cloth' so to speak, I'd definitely go for a more varied approach for each chapter... from 'paragon of virtue' bright and shiny chapter through to 'vicious insano' hard bitten raggedy chapter. There's no reason you can't just invent a few schemes to go where your paint brush takes you...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

But then, with Ultramarines, you'd also have the Mortifactors, Silver Skulls, and a few others with wildly divergent styles, and that's just the GW-acknowledged successors.

I'd probably do IF-successors, but that should be obvious :D Likely throw in a couple of squads from the Executioners, as they're my favourite Successor-Chapter, hands down.

Perth
12-10-2015, 20:59
I'd have to cast my vote in for the Raven Guard, but not a whole lot of them. A few Tac squads, a couple assault squads and a command squad, with air support. They'd be backed up by Raptors Scouts, Tacs, and Sternguard.

And guardsmen. Lots and lots of guardsmen.

iamcjb
13-10-2015, 11:45
I play Crimson Fists, but for this I would go Ultras, as they just have so many successors that I really like (Black Consuls, Howling Griffons, Hawk Lords, Novamarines, Mentors), and there's plenty of fluff that describes the UMs and their successors fighting wars together.