PDA

View Full Version : The Beast Arises - Confirmation and Schedule

Dragannia
07-10-2015, 13:16
http://www.blacklibrary.com/the-beast-arises.html

Very interesting, I've got pretty high hopes for this series. 12 books though, with only 5 detailed. Perhaps these are the 5 main ones and we're expecting some short stories/novellas later?

I'm also really, really happy Throneworld is going to be written by Guy Haley. He did a fantastic job on Last Days of Ector and Valedor, if he's handling eldar I think they're in good hands.

Marshal_Loss
07-10-2015, 14:43
I'd imagine that they aren't revealing past 5 because they don't want to spoil the plot too much, but I guess we'll see.

It is indeed interesting! I'd rather a bunch of HH novels, but hey. It looks like they've put a lot of time and effort into this so hopefully it's good.

Darke
07-10-2015, 15:59
Well, the tag line is "12 books, 12 months", so I guess there's a chance that we will see 12 "full novels" over the course of 2016 - and I'm guessing some short stories, audio dramas, and novellas as well.

Lord Damocles
07-10-2015, 17:31
Twelve?!

Way to wring it out Black Library :eyebrows:

Nitpick ahoy!

It's been 1500 years since the end of the Heresy according to the blurb.
Apparently (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:HHGoldenDemon.jpg) the Heresy ended in 014.M31.
So it must be 514.M32 (ish).
The Imperial Fists haven't left Terra in more than a thousand years according to the blurb for The Beast Arises.
Which would mean they camped out before 514.M31 (ish).
Dorn was lost in the first Black Crusade in 781.M31.
...but the Imperial Fists were with Dorn in the Cadian Gate...

Fen
08-10-2015, 01:22
Well,as long as some part of the chapter is garrisoning the walls,the Fists techically havent left Terra ;)

Anyway...Snark about the IFs being used as punching balls once again (it's our destiny i guess) aside this one might be interesting.If anything the authors they chose make it sound promising.

My fear,as always with BL lately,is the price they'll ask for it.

Nazguire
08-10-2015, 10:26
Well,as long as some part of the chapter is garrisoning the walls,the Fists techically havent left Terra ;)

Anyway...Snark about the IFs being used as punching balls once again (it's our destiny i guess) aside this one might be interesting.If anything the authors they chose make it sound promising.

My fear,as always with BL lately,is the price they'll ask for it.

By the sounds of it the Imperial Fists are going to lose close to 800 Space Marines to the Orks. Definitely a punching bag.

MadDokta
08-10-2015, 13:00
How can the Imperial Fists necessarily be considered the punching bags of this story when there are going to be ENTIRE chapters wiped out by the Beast? I mean, I get it, the Imperial Fists are often used only to get brutally massacred by villain of the week, but in this case at least they're surviving compared to, you know, the other chapters that will only be named just to have their worlds brutally invaded and destroyed by the Orks.

Marshal_Loss
08-10-2015, 15:12
His reference is mainly due to the long established role of the Imperial Fists punching bags in BL fiction. They regularly lose entire companies in a single read. I wouldn't say they're portrayed badly either, just that they die far more often than everybody else. ;)

Sure there will be other Chapters dying but will mostly be no-namers, none with the long and glorious lineage of losing masses of marines that the Imperial Fists can boast.

MadDokta
08-10-2015, 15:40
Yeah I know that, I did mention it in my post. But if the Beast is going to be laying siege to Terra itself as the books seem to hint at, then of course the Fists are going to take a beating. It's their home turf they're protecting. I think this is one of the cases where the wailing they will get will be entirely appropriate and proportional :)

And just think of all those poor Chapters that are going to get namedropped just to reference how terribly the Orks curbstomped and destroyed them. Poor fellas...

MasterCrafted
11-10-2015, 11:29
Do you think this will be supported with campaign books and models? From FW I'd assume?
I only ask cos me and my buddy just started IF and Orks respectively (spooky...), so some new stuff would be cool.
Surely they won't miss an opportunity to do a model of the Beast?

Nazguire
12-10-2015, 10:35
His reference is mainly due to the long established role of the Imperial Fists punching bags in BL fiction. They regularly lose entire companies in a single read. I wouldn't say they're portrayed badly either, just that they die far more often than everybody else. ;)

Sure there will be other Chapters dying but will mostly be no-namers, none with the long and glorious lineage of losing masses of marines that the Imperial Fists can boast.

Mostly? They will be ALL no-namers. They'll think up some awesome names for all of a page before the next big crazy Ork weapon demolishes them.

lredman
12-10-2015, 17:55
Apparently (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:HHGoldenDemon.jpg) the Heresy ended in 014.M31.
So it must be 514.M32 (ish).

Lexicanum has The Beast's Waaagh in 544.M32, but presumably it continued for some time after that date. Interestingly, 546.M32 is the year that the master of the officio assassinorum has the high lords of terra murdered.

MajorWesJanson
13-10-2015, 00:04
Lexicanum has The Beast's Waaagh in 544.M32, but presumably it continued for some time after that date. Interestingly, 546.M32 is the year that the master of the officio assassinorum has the high lords of terra murdered.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. Vangorich has been planning a coup for decades. Having the Beast besieging Terra and only stopped at great cost to the Astartes would be a great time to strike- the High Lords have been shown to be weak, and Astartes took a major hit, so it is the perfect time to make a play for power. Unfortunately the Astartes manage to take him out with a retribution force at a high price. Having that happen at the same time as the fallout from the Beast would justify the 100 years of political mess that follow until the Ultramarines gather 50 chapters and force a resolution.

Nazguire
13-10-2015, 11:42
Is anyone hoping the Orks won't be dominant cause of some crazy gadgets or doomsday weapons, but just because of sheer numbers and brutality?

Perfect opportunity to make these Orks mean and savage, rather than the often comical dolts they are usually...

blackcherry
13-10-2015, 13:16
Is anyone hoping the Orks won't be dominant cause of some crazy gadgets or doomsday weapons, but just because of sheer numbers and brutality?

Perfect opportunity to make these Orks mean and savage, rather than the often comical dolts they are usually...

I'm sure it will be a mix. The few times I've read Orks as 'serious' in BL fiction it has been effective, but I wonder how long it would work if stretched out over 12 books. There's not much you can do with a generic, unknowable hulking brute.

MadDokta
13-10-2015, 16:05
Guy Haley's doing some of the writing, so you will get a mix of comical and frighteningly scary Orks that he's done so well in Baneblade and his Ork related shorts. Hell, he's the only author I know in recent history that's written an entire novella from the POV of an Ork, and a Big Mek and his Stompa (or was it a Gargant, can't remember) crew at that.

Consequently, Evil Sun Rising (the Ork POV novella) is a great read. And Baneblade is as well. I highly recommend both!

Death Nikorps
26-10-2015, 18:14
Hi everyone, here the next 2 books in the series:

May 2016

The Beast Arises Tome 6 - Echoes of the Long War by David Guymer

June 2016

The Beast Arises Tome 7 - The Hunt for Vulkan by David Annandale

:)

Death Nikorps
29-10-2015, 14:03
One more:

July

The Beast Arises Tome 8 - The Beast Must Die by Gav Thorpe

:)

TheGreatestGood
30-10-2015, 07:26
The hunt for vulkan is an interesting title

williamsond
30-10-2015, 07:51
i like the idea that its a set ark from the start, its one of my gripes with HH series it just seems to be going for ever and never getting to the good stuff, here's hoping this is good.

Darke
30-10-2015, 14:18
Well, some people have asked why BL can't just do 12 new Horus Heresy books next year and finish it off.... it's a legitimate question.

MajorWesJanson
01-11-2015, 02:05
I'm hoping that GW will be releasing some models to piggyback on this series. IF, Salamanders, and Orks are all involved from the sounds of it, and could use some plastic love (upgrade sprues for the marines, the usual suspects for the Orks)

Given BL release methods, I may want to wait and see if they will come out with a 3-4 omnibus set after they are all released.

DarkChaplain
01-11-2015, 09:39
Seeing how Raven Guard and White Scars just got a big juicy update with Kauyon (including new fluff about the RG's Chapter Master and... new Chapter Master?), I'd say it is likely that there will be a sort of tie-in release from GW here too. BL has been far too much of an advertising arm of GW this past year to allow for anything creative to happen without it being tied to a major release.

reds8n
26-11-2015, 07:56
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/136827b843bb2808e5ae537dd/images/f8f2546c-2850-4623-8a39-745b4a541002.jpg

There are just three days to go until The Beast Arises event series begins. Today, we can reveal the artwork from two future covers in the series.

A grim looking Space Marine of the Deathwatch hoists a heavy bolter and a Sister of Silence charges into battle. Could we be seeing the origins of the Deathwatch and the reason the Sisters of Silence are no longer around in Warhammer 40,000?

There's only one way to find out. Subscribe to The Beast Arises to guarantee that you're amongst the first to read (or listen to) every book in the series – and if you pre-order before Saturday, you'll get all 12 for the price of 9!

Fen
26-11-2015, 15:22
Started reading the first book (subscribing to the ebooks = the first one is already avaiable,check inside the package file if you have it),4 chapters in

So far,some new bits on the IFs that sound strange (seems back in 32k IF companies were named after the walls of the imperial palace the fists held during the siege of Terra...And battle brothers are given "company names" instead of using their true ones),but i guess that's part of the point with the "past the horus heresy but far from present days" setting,and a description of the imperial senate with main focus on the grand master of the assassinorum (well,Vangorich IS the only one we already knew of from older background...)

DarkChaplain
26-11-2015, 19:32
I wouldn't even think of subscribing to this the way BL has handled itself these past two years, let alone before all authors are announced, I can read blurbs and make sure that its actually decent.
12 books are a damn commitment - heck, I can't see how that wouldn't get tedious halfway through. They're committing to a series that is a third of the Horus Heresy. And we all know how quality varies in that, their flagship series.
Spending 150+ bucks ahead of time seems like madness to me.

But hey, Abnett changing and adding Legion/Chapter fluff? Who'd have thought... Not like we've seen that before with Space Wolves, Ultramarines, Dark Angels....

Fen
26-11-2015, 19:37
Spending 150+ bucks ahead of time seems like madness to me.
I usually reserve 100€ each year to catch up with BL stuff when they do christmas free shipping

But this year,save for Asurmen,there was nothing new that interested me so....I took the bullet and i'll pray for the best :D The discount means "only" 20€ more than what i planned for after all

I mean,the setting is interesting,there are fists in it ( :p )...Yeah,if they don't mess up the writing this might be good

But hey, Abnett changing and adding Legion/Chapter fluff? Who'd have thought... Not like we've seen that before with Space Wolves, Ultramarines, Dark Angels....
First thing that crossed my mind too

Killgore
26-11-2015, 20:28
is it a full size novel?

Fen
26-11-2015, 20:39
Calibre reports it as 308 (legal-pages and previews excluded) pages

For comparison,it reads the ebook version of The emperor's gift as 607 pages (again,without the legal part)

Doing ebooks to real books translations is always a mess >.> but i'd say far from a full standard novel judging from that

P.s:thanks to the "Abnettism" above,the book could really use a Dramatis personae list...With an added translation to current index astartes..

I mean....

Second captain of the Daybreak Wall (i guess that's the second company?who knows...) Koorland, known by the wall-name of Slaughter

With more IF character named as such showing up,THIS WILL GET MESSY :D Hope there will be one in the books to follow

DarkChaplain
26-11-2015, 22:41
Should be pretty much a full novel. The hardback on Amazon is apparently 336 pages, which is the same as, for example, Asurmen or the latest Yarrick novel. The ~80 pages less than a trade paperback are down to the format being larger as far as I can tell. Once they're in paperbacks, they're going to be around 400 pages again.

And yeah, I really feared Abnett would pull this stuff again. As brilliant as his works can be, especially Eisenhorn and Ravenor, I don't think he really gets being a tie-in writer nowadays. He takes readily available and pre-assembled pieces of background and mixes them up to be quite different from their previous incarnations, which results in disconnects with the rest of the works. It is mostly fine when it comes to his own works like Gaunt's Ghosts, Eisenhorn and co, or the Sabbath Crusade in general, but when it is so closely linked to other authors' interpretations of the same factions and characters, it is jarring. See: The Lion and Curze in The Unremembered Empire, or how his Know No Fear Ultramarines stack up next to Battle for the Abyss's (no matter how mediocre the novel was, it had the first Ultramarines in the HH) or McNeill's Rules of Engagement in Age of Darkness.

Abnett has the habit of imposing his own spins and ideas on everybody else who tackles the same factions after him. That is not to say that his ideas aren't pretty damn good for the most part, but it makes me think of him as somebody who can lay a good foundation but doesn't work well in tandem with others. Prospero Burns alone has a big disconnect from A Thousand Sons, even though Graham and Dan got the assignments at the same time, and traded jobs, and worked together afterwards. Heck, I thought that Nick Kyme wrote a more convincing Lion El Jonson in Deathfire than Abnett did in TUE.

And then there's always the dangling plotpoints he introduces, which others have to try and fit into their stories too. Having one semi Perpetual in Legion was one thing, and well done, because it was left ambiguous as to why he came back exactly. But then there's also ties to his Inquisition novels in Prospero Burns, and various contrived other things he puts in, which detract from the actual plotline he is supposed to progress. And in the end, the final chapters are being rushed, wrapped up unsatisfyingly, and others need to pick up the parts to carry on.

Here's hoping that the same won't be happening with I Am Slaughter, but from the looks of it, I am not too confident about it...

Fen
28-11-2015, 04:53
Finished reading.At some points,it felt like i was back reading Necropolis.And i mean that as a plus.It's very much an Abnett's trademarks filled book (cant be more specific because well...spoilers) but it's a good read,also because of that.Oh,and yes,the fists die....They really do....

Inviato dal mio K00Z utilizzando Tapatalk

DarkChaplain
28-11-2015, 10:48
Looks like Amazon's page count was wrong. The hardback has 238 pages according to Black Library, and the audiobook isn't even half as long as a typical Horus Heresy adaptation....

No wonder Abnett actually managed to finish this one!

Fen
28-11-2015, 12:14
Yep,seems calibre was right on that front.

Included in the book:how orks build megaphones.It's very orkish :D

Nazguire
30-11-2015, 00:17
I read this in a night - I quite enjoyed it apart from a few things that are really inconsequential at the end of the day.

The sheer complacency of the Imperium and its politicians was refreshing to read - this was an Imperium 'only' a few hundred years fresh from defeating the Heresy, and the wars of the galaxy are far away on the frontier. The Terran system is enjoying centuries of peace, and the Imperial Fists are fighting to survive political pressure, rather than any external military threat.

The political structure of the Imperium is interesting - when the words 'Lord Guiliman' appeared, I thought 'how and why? Isn't he dead?" until they cleared up the honorific. No doubt this ceased being used very quickly after The Beast, and it was interesting to see.

The Imperial Fists and their structure and organisation was cool, though annoying at first - wall names for their Companies was a left field thing to do, but since they had spent all their time in force on Terra since the Heresy, never leaving, you can understand how their Chapter essentially developed into worshiping their past glories rather than fighting onwards. I think that, once the Fists are rebuilt, they'll realise that they were too tethered to their past battle on Terra, and that they need to become more like what Dorn had them initially - a mobile crusading force. That's when we'll see them leave the wall company names behind, and Terra behind. It makes sense that way.

Vangorich was cool, and you can see his intentions of 'whats best for the Imperium' already being distorted. It'll be interesting to see how critical he is to defeating The Beast.

That the Orks are viewed as just a minor nuisance until the end of the book is a cool indicator of the time the novel is set - Ullanor truly smashed the Ork menace for centuries, and that they are seen as no more than pests on the frontier by the Terran elite speaks volumes of how close to extermination (at least, as close as Orks can be) the Orks were during the GC. It also tells us how massive the battle for Ullanor had to have been to truly this - also how united the Orks could have been in Ullanor, hence the Emperor's desperation in defeating them

kamedake88
30-11-2015, 02:40
Cheers, Nazguire. I just finished it too and your post saved me from writing essential what you did.

What I enjoyed the most was the description of the Ork Warboss and how utterly shocked everyone was at seeing how immense he was. In keeping with what you said about Ullanor, I always thought an Ork giving the emperor a problem was a bit weird. I know that piece of fluff is anchient and origionates long before the emperor is as we know him now but still. Now though if the Warboss at Ullanor was even more of a slab faced giant than this one is then damn no wonder it took the Emperor and Horus all they ahd to beat it.

DarkChaplain
30-11-2015, 07:24
I'm still chuckling about people on BoLS trying to argue with me about the Beast not being around anymore by the time Vangorich starts his coup. He's obviously being set up for it to happen during the Beast's Waaagh.

By the way, kamedake, there is a short story about the whole Ork vs Emperor thing. A Wolf of Ash and Fire by Graham McNeill. It might not be entirely satisfying on the fight part, but at least they elaborated on that ancient fluff.

TheGreatestGood
30-11-2015, 19:27
So scale wise how big is the beast
Roughly?

kamedake88
30-11-2015, 21:17
So scale wise how big is the beast
Roughly?

I don't have the exact quotes but a lot of hyperbole was used. Big as a housing block was one and made the nobz around him look like children. In universe the average ork boy is the size of a space marine in armour so 7 to 8 feet tall and has the mass to match. The emphasis was placed on the children quote as being the more believable one. So my guess is take a contemptor dreadnought, slap some green paint and tusks on it and you're good.

It must be said though that I think Abnett most likely thinks Orks look more like the Ork from the pic bellow than the center of the chest head gorilla Boyz model.

http://i.imgur.com/sc6hrYR.png

Nazguire
30-11-2015, 21:21
I don't have the exact quotes but a lot of hyperbole was used. Big as a housing block was one and made the nobz around him look like children. In universe the average ork boy is the size of a space marine in armour so 7 to 8 feet tall and has the mass to match. The emphasis was placed on the children quote as being the more believable one. So my guess is take a contemptor dreadnought, slap some green paint and tusks on it and you're good.

Pretty much how I saw it too - the thing is a beast, and clearly head and shoulders above any other Ork ever encountered by the Imperium - and smart too!

M'ichal
01-12-2015, 14:44
Finished reading.At some points,it felt like i was back reading Necropolis.And i mean that as a plus.It's very much an Abnett's trademarks filled book (cant be more specific because well...spoilers) but it's a good read,also because of that.Oh,and yes,the fists die....They really do....

Inviato dal mio K00Z utilizzando Tapatalk

mmmm, will be on my to-read list then. Necropolis was...awesome!

Given my backlog the series will be in collected editions by the time I get to it.

DarkChaplain
01-12-2015, 19:15
I'm about halfway through I Am Slaughter, and find the Imperial Fists parts significantly less interesting than the petty politics on Terra. Stylistically, though, you can tell it is an Abnett novel. Plenty of tells all over the place.

dram
01-12-2015, 20:16
I had one big problem with the novel. The way the majority of the Imperial Fists Chapter was destroyed by a gravitational storm, instead of in battle with the Beast, was really disappointing. After I read that it became a real chore to finish the novel.

Fen
01-12-2015, 20:38
Honestly,ity makes sense

They are killed while fighting a more numerous enemy (fighting for survival) on a planet that's self-destructing and where one of the basic laws of the universe has gone completly crazy ("be in the wrong place at the wrong time and you are dead" crazy at that)

It's not one of those that kills them,it's the sudden manifestation of all of them at the same time

Nazguire
02-12-2015, 05:47
I had one big problem with the novel. The way the majority of the Imperial Fists Chapter was destroyed by a gravitational storm, instead of in battle with the Beast, was really disappointing. After I read that it became a real chore to finish the novel.

In my opinion,

...that's what makes it so good - it's the complete waste of life - the whole Chapter sent to this world for no reason other than politics, runs into unexpected well... everything. The gravitational storm was created by The Beast as well, btw. They died in a completely random disaster caused by the Ork moon appearing that they had no control over whatsoever and could not fight against at all. Not boring, it's eyebrow raising in a good way. Sets the tone for what type of power the Orks have under their control - they can wipe out a Chapter and battle fleet without a problem.

Warhams-77
02-12-2015, 12:16
Thank you all for your reviews, this looks promising.

DarkChaplain
02-12-2015, 15:44
About two thirds through now and still the short chapters with Vangorich are the best thing about the book. Even the fleet in orbit parts are pretty good and interesting.
The Imperial Fists though have been pretty disappointing to me so far. Not that they're really doing much at this point...
Still haven't encountered any orks.

MarcusAurelius
03-12-2015, 01:16
Could someone spoiler the crap out of this?

DarkChaplain
03-12-2015, 04:23
Up to chapter 27:

Imperial Fists are fighting a Xenos species called "Chromes" in a system near Terra. This is down to politics and a need to prove that maintaining the Imperial Fists isn't a waste of resources. There hasn't been any real threat to Terra since the Heresy/1st Black Crusade, and the High Lords are complacent and involved in petty politics. One example given is that a High Lord called in favors to get a law passed that would make his family business rich, while depriving the Imperium of greater resources.

The Chromes are seen as nothing but vermin, and the Fists are close to wiping them off one world as gravitational fields pop up and basically terraform the planet, tear down ships and the IF in orbit have to teleport down onto the world where this is still occuring for months. The changes are heralded by noise bursts that nobody can place but an adept of the Biologis believes to be of biological nature. First he thinks it is the Chromes trying to communicate, then later it turns out to be something else announcing itself ("I am Slaughter", which one of the Imperial Fists called himself too, ironically).

Thing is, it was pretty much the WHOLE Chapter there, fighting Chromes. Most of them get wiped out, and even the reinforcements from Terra (50 or so veterans who were supposed to man the walls of the Imperial Palace) get torn to bits. Their Chapter Master is dead, too.
Turns out that a black moon is trying to translate into orbit, which caused the anomalies.

The Inquisition is concerned about the High Lords' ability to rule, but doesn't play it straight. They warn of the threat, but don't want to provide details. The Inquisition High Lord tries to play Drakan Vangorich, Master of Assassins and not part of the High Twelve anymore due to organisational shifts, to change imperial policy. He isn't amused, and he also sees that the High Lords are buffoons. We all know where that's gonna be heading...

So basically, dead Imperial Fists all over. They even doubt they'll be able to rebuild from the remnants they have at this point.

DarkChaplain
03-12-2015, 11:11
Finished it, and wrote a review.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1453887251

nazrag
03-12-2015, 20:07
Sooo...is it worth the cash?
The plot and writers sounds good, but the covers are god damned awfull imo...

DarkChaplain
04-12-2015, 13:22
Worst part is, the actual cover art they have up for sale is far, far superior.

As for worth the cash, I really can't tell yet. Abnett's novel is a massive introduction to the series, so you should be aware of the kind of commitment you'd have to make to see it through til the end.
Give it a few more books, or wait for the paperbacks, is my suggestion. 200 or so pages for the given price is pretty ridiculous.

sheppe
06-12-2015, 13:15
The eBook could do with a proof read, quite near the end a dialogue is repeated straight after itself, I reread it 3 times to see if it was meant to.

if every imperial fist ended up on the planet, including those from Phalanx and Terra, aren't the imperial fists extinct by the end of the book?
The original fleet was smashed apart and the reinforcement fleet was destroyed and everyone left on the planet dies eventually

Fen
06-12-2015, 13:33
The eBook could do with a proof read, quite near the end a dialogue is repeated straight after itself, I reread it 3 times to see if it was meant to.

if every imperial fist ended up on the planet, including those from Phalanx and Terra, aren't the imperial fists extinct by the end of the book?
The original fleet was smashed apart and the reinforcement fleet was destroyed and everyone left on the planet dies eventually
Remember
They still have the teleport homer

My bet is some of them (< than a company in number) either manage to teleport on the surviving,half-wrecked ship of the original fleet and jump away blind with it,ending emperor knows where,or find themselves on an ork ship,steal it and do the same

I mean,the fact that Slaughter salvages the beacon from the dead first captain (and that they couldn't use it before because the grav-tempest was messing up with it) can't be there for nothing

DarkChaplain
06-12-2015, 17:47

Do you mean the "‘This is a crisis of unparalleled proportions,’ replied Wienand, ‘not a game. As for the minor pieces, they will be brought to terms, or contained. Or they will be silenced.’" part? That was on purpose. One scene is the conversation happening, the follow up is it being observed on a recording.

Brother Hermiad
13-12-2015, 09:52
I read this in an afternoon on my Kindle - it didn't seem like a full length book at all?

I liked it as its more from Dan, though it seemed less like a 40K book (excluding setting and protaganists) and more like a generic Sci-Fi book. I almost felt like i was reading his generic book Embedded - with Space Marines subbed in for the Colonial Marines in that book. Again, if you ignore Marines, nothing really screamed 40K (or more properly 32K). I guess thats down to the main enemy the Fists are fighting for most of the book being non-40K miniature races.

The whole adoption of second names, and naming the companies after walls etc seemed kind of pointless as thats not how it worked in the Heresy, and from existing fluff, its not how it works in 40K. Seemed an odd thing to try and be different. Same with some of the attempted humour and chit-chat between Slaughter and the Magos - it didnt read like nearly any other Marine v Non-Marine engagement I can remember and again put me in mind of a non 40K-esque Sci-Fi setting.

It wasn't bad, just not at all what I was expecting.

jareddm3
13-12-2015, 14:40
You went in with the assumption that it would be like 30k or 40k when there is no reason for it to be like either. The book is over 1,000 years later than the Heresy and 9,000 years before modern 40k. We've known since the first rulebooks that there have been dozens of ages the Imperium has gone through of which nothing at all remains and of which there are no records. This is one of them. It's a completely new setting in the same way that the Age of Apostasy or the Nova Terra Interregnum would be completely new settings. It doesn't have to follow the rules of M31 or M41 because they're neither the legions nor the hard-line codex-worshipping chapters.

Darke
13-12-2015, 16:22
Anyone notice the print version is extremely small sized? It's smaller even than the already book club sized hardcover releases for the Horus Heresy and novellas - probably a good 20% smaller in size. Consequently, it doesn't even look good on a bookshelf...

Promethius
13-12-2015, 20:53
I enjoyed it. I knew the fists would get decimated before I bought it as, you know, it's black library. In all honesty it's nice to see them release a new series with some effort behind it rather than quick new release cash ins. It was a promising start but may depend on the next author as to how well received the series is.

Mellow
15-12-2015, 08:12

There are a couple of parts where it's repeated. The first I can remember is the recording of the distress message, which was being played back (hence the repeated text) and the second I can remember is when the Inquisition are having a meeting and a question is asked and then asked again in the next paragraph. I believe this is because the Assassin high Lord is watching a playback of their discussion.

My opinion on the book is that it's thoroughly refreshing to see the Senatorium shown to be so stagnant and concerned about its own agendas. I'm guessing that the IF don't get completely wiped out because that would be difficult to explain. It was interesting seeing how they are so totally out of touch with warfare though and probably explains why they got owned. Other than there being so many Orks that is.

nagash66
15-12-2015, 10:33
Well having just finished it i liked it. The Terra court intrigue was admittedly the finer part of the read, but the spiritual degradation of the Fists was also interesting to see. I feel like many have said that this was mostly written to set up the era and story for the other 11 books to then flesh out. But based off it i look forward to the second one.

I also really enjoyed the orcs, even tho they were not on screen so to speak much. Their tech level was fun to witness ( would love to see orc units modeld with shields), and i believe it set the techo-barbarian tone well for them.

Nazguire
15-12-2015, 23:04
Well having just finished it i liked it. The Terra court intrigue was admittedly the finer part of the read, but the spiritual degradation of the Fists was also interesting to see. I feel like many have said that this was mostly written to set up the era and story for the other 11 books to then flesh out. But based off it i look forward to the second one.

I also really enjoyed the orcs, even tho they were not on screen so to speak much. Their tech level was fun to witness ( would love to see orc units modeld with shields), and i believe it set the techo-barbarian tone well for them.

That's why I think that this event is what gets them off Terra - they feel that they have lost their roots and become more focused on remembering past glories than fighting wars.

The orks were cool to see as more than just clumsy humorous monsters. They seemed deadly and intense, and an actual genuine threat rather than just a speed bump to the real enemy, as they are often portrayed.

DarkChaplain
16-12-2015, 09:36
So basically, they were the real enemy with the Chrome being the speed bump.
Honestly, I didn't feel that impressed with the Orks apart from what little we saw of the Beast itself. They had so little page presence here, only entering the fray at the very end of the book, that they didn't appear significantly different from the ones in, for example, The Siege of Castellax.

Dragannia
17-12-2015, 09:31
So basically, they were the real enemy with the Chrome being the speed bump.
Honestly, I didn't feel that impressed with the Orks apart from what little we saw of the Beast itself. They had so little page presence here, only entering the fray at the very end of the book, that they didn't appear significantly different from the ones in, for example, The Siege of Castellax.

The suspense building is part of what was great about the book. I loved it, I thought it was really well written and shows a part of the imperium that hasn't really been written about, an Imperium at peace. Plus the politics was really interesting, and it's a part that I think Abnett excels at.

Remember it's a small cog of a whole so on that note I thought it was a fantastic start, much like Horus Rising was. If you need something to get to a rocking good start, to build suspense and mystery for the rest of the series, get Abnett.

DarkChaplain
17-12-2015, 10:03
I literally mentioned those points in my own review, yes. But that really doesn't contribute anything to how the Orks were portrayed. No matter the amount of suspense, I didn't think the Orks to be anything special outside of having a huge warboss and unknown tech. The boyz themselves had so little page time, it was ridiculous.

The book was decent enough, thanks to the politics parts on Terra. They were vastly more interesting than anything involving the Fists, though.

Fen
05-01-2016, 18:34
Book 2 confirmed out this friday

Good

Fen
09-01-2016, 14:27
Spent the last 2 hours reading the first 1/4 of it.

So far not bad

The opening chapters deal with 3 different fronts of the rapidly collapsing segmentum solar...A hive world,a pair of forgeworlds and a space marine homeworld.That means that while we get different situations,none of them is explored in real depth yet.Still,i think the various parts work (and i guess at least some of it will turn out again later [quite sure regarding the space marines,since that chapter is mentioned by name in one of the yet-to-come books' synopsis])

Then it's back to the political mess of the senatum...

So,good start,now off to read the rest

P.s: more imperial fists off to die (successors but...) :p

Fen
10-01-2016, 10:10
Half way in.There the book gives an important number

One.Guess what is that....

Vangorich still stealing the show and running with it

Fen
10-01-2016, 19:50
Oh,i completly forgot

During an interview (linked on his blog) Guy Haley confirmed he's writing the 12th book of the serie (so,the finale) in addition to beng the writer for the 5th.

So now we are missing infos on book eight to eleven only

DarkChaplain
10-01-2016, 21:59
Awesome news there. The best author in BL's stable gets to write both a halfway piece and the finale.

Number 8 is The Beast Must Die by Gav Thorpe, and #9 is Watchers in Death which cites "TBC and David Annandale" on Amazon

Valrak
11-01-2016, 05:41
Finished the book, found something very interesting...

Maximus Thane is a Captain (Becomes the leader after his superiors are killed) of a new successor Imperial Fist Chapter called the Fists Exemplar, the name stuck in my head through the entire book as I knew I've read it somewhere else.

Anyway, after some digging I found it.

The novel Space Marine by Ian Watson which is focused on the Imperial Fists, Maximus Thane is one of be names that is scrimshawed on the skeletal hand of Rogal Dorn, which is only reserved for Chapter Masters of the Imperial Fists. This adds to the theory that the successor Chapters are the ones that re-build the Fists.

veterannoob
11-01-2016, 11:19
Cool! No we are just missing 10 & 11 authors. I'm betting David Guymer and maybe Rob Sanders again, but who knows:) Happy with it so far.

Duke_Leto
11-01-2016, 17:55
Oh damn it BL have GOT me hooked. I was determined to wait for this series to come out in paperback, especially when I knew they were short novels/long novellas. But there I was in a Games Workshop over Xmas and saw the shiny I Am Slaughter with "Abnett" on the cover and well I just had to buy it.

Really enjoyed it too but was then going to stick to the "wait for paperbacks" plan justifying to myself that I only bought this one hardback as it was Abnetg.

Now across all the forums people are praising Rob Sanders book 2. So I HAVE to buy it.

Damn you BL you are like crack!

Lupe
14-01-2016, 17:27
Am I reading this right, or at that point in time, did the Fists still have use of their Sus'an membrane?

Fen
14-01-2016, 19:16
Am I reading this right, or at that point in time, did the Fists still have use of their Sus'an membrane?

They did.

Another interesting hint comes out of that

We know the Fists still had the sus-an membrane working

The homeworld of the Fists Exemplar is bathed in heavy sun radiations (so much that everything outside a power armor or other protection evaporates under direct sunlights)

Radiation doesn't play well with geneseed

40k Imperial Fists have "mutated" out of 2 space marines organs

P.s: i created a topic in the other BL section regarding the second book,better move discussions on the contents there (so no one gets unwanted spoilers ) and leave this one for news on the actual serie (this one is in the news and rumor section after all :p)

Lupe
14-01-2016, 19:38
They did.

P.s: i created a topic in the other BL section regarding the second book,better move discussions on the contents there (so no one gets unwanted spoilers ) and leave this one for news on the actual serie (this one is in the news and rumor section after all :p)

Fair point, I'll take it there if anything else springs to mind.

MajorWesJanson
19-01-2016, 11:42
My biggest problem with these books is that they feel so short for novels. I've just blown through the first two and wanted more. Yes, they are set-up, but they feel shorter than normal.

DarkChaplain
20-01-2016, 08:41
That's because they are. The pagecount is somewhat blown up in the hardbacks, I'd argue even.

For comparison: The audiobooks of the two so far have been about half (or less) of what you'd expect from a Horus Heresy novel's content. 5-6 hours vs ~12-15. That seems like a more accurate way of measuring the length of these books, considering it is the same narrators and pacing.

Fen
12-03-2016, 00:08
The last wall is up,for anyone subscribed to/buying the digital edition that is

Fen
14-03-2016, 01:00
Seems they released more covers (those of book 6 to 8)

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/BL/product-pages/2016/12-03-beast4-landpage.jpg

Also,yes,the blurb we had for book 7 was a bit vague but this seems to confirm that yes,Vulkan...lives (still) at the time of the Beast

Also,as expected,we'll get the birth of the Deathwatch

With The Beast Arises now a third of the way through the series, it seems a good time to announce future titles in the series. After next month's 'Throneworld', the series will continue in May with 'Echoes of the Long War', which sees the Fists Exemplar ally with an old enemy in common cause. June's 'The Hunt for Vulkan' brings the Salamanders primarch back into the Imperial fold, while 'The Beast Must Die' will see Vulkan lead the Imperium to war on the orks' home world in July. And in August, ' Watchers in Death' will reveal for the first time the secret origins of the alien-hunting elite of the Imperium, the Deathwatch.

P.s: if the "old allies" end up being....i dont know,the squats,i say we'll be done,best serie forever,full stop :shifty:

TheGreatestGood
14-03-2016, 11:13
Let's hope that every chapter of the hunt for vulkan involves a character saying 'vulkan lives' and then the big reveal later on of vulkan himself shouting at the top of his voice "VULKAN LIVES"! jokes aside though I do look forward toi seeing a primarch in a non HH series book.

Fen
14-03-2016, 17:39
:rolleyes:

ReconTrojan
14-03-2016, 22:29
I have a question on the Ork invasion of Terra, how come no one is worried about losing the Emperor ? Doesn't he control the choir and if they lose that they lose warp capability? Also the defenses of Terra are insanely stupid in this series so far. But my primary concern is the loss of the golden throne and the choir which no one mentions once. Am I missing something?

Saunders
15-03-2016, 17:02
It's entirely possible that the Emperor's withered corpse might play less of a role in the running of the 32k Imperium than in the 41st millenium. No real insight beyond speculation though. The reality that Terra may very well fall to the orks hasn't been acknowledged by the characters yet. With book 5 ushering in an Eldar attack within the Imperial palace itself, I would imagine that the perceived threat to the Emperor may surface in there.

Terra's defense sucks because of political machinations in the books. The Imperial Fists regarded the defense of Terra as their personal charge, and they were sent off enmass to fight elsewhere in a political manuever. Ditto the sector fleet. Ditto much of the astra militarum garrison.

One could say the first four books have spent the bulk of their pages devoted to illustrating how Terra has been made vulnerable through the selfish actions of the High Lords.

ReconTrojan
16-03-2016, 04:35
It's entirely possible that the Emperor's withered corpse might play less of a role in the running of the 32k Imperium than in the 41st millenium. No real insight beyond speculation though. The reality that Terra may very well fall to the orks hasn't been acknowledged by the characters yet. With book 5 ushering in an Eldar attack within the Imperial palace itself, I would imagine that the perceived threat to the Emperor may surface in there.

Terra's defense sucks because of political machinations in the books. The Imperial Fists regarded the defense of Terra as their personal charge, and they were sent off enmass to fight elsewhere in a political manuever. Ditto the sector fleet. Ditto much of the astra militarum garrison.

One could say the first four books have spent the bulk of their pages devoted to illustrating how Terra has been made vulnerable through the selfish actions of the High Lords.

I have finished the 5 books and while I agree the bulk is spent on the political machinations of what has become of Terra and without giving away spoilers I still think the absurdity of the defense is breathtaking. Yes the Imperial Fists run off because they are bored but one Chapter should never be left to guard all of Terra and Solar System, a legion yes, chapter no. It seems the authors have spent sometime reading about the Northern Army during the American Civil War, the DC defense and the generals afraid to use their shiny armies.

I would have preferred book one at least describe that the HH left the system in shambles and because of X & Y the defenses not properly rebuilt...of course this would make the last Wall Guards of the IF running off look even more foolish.

Saunders
16-03-2016, 06:40
Except they had been more worried about internal than external threats. The codex astartes broke up the legions for that express purpose. Remember that first book? The Imperium had not been threatened seriously for over a thousand years, which is why the bulk of the Imperium's military power was out on the frontier chasing scattered bands of orks and pirates. There hadn't even been a peep from the traitor legions in the Eye of Terror since the Scouring.

Raga88
16-03-2016, 15:52
There hadn't even been a peep from the traitor legions in the Eye of Terror since the Scouring.
I didn't started the series yet but because of the absent of Rogal Dorn I thought that the story takes place somewhat after the First Black Crusade where he gone lost. Are there any mentions about where is he than? The Hunt for Vulkan states that the Salamander Lord is the last living primarch.

nagash66
16-03-2016, 17:22
I didn't started the series yet but because of the absent of Rogal Dorn I thought that the story takes place somewhat after the First Black Crusade where he gone lost. Are there any mentions about where is he than? The Hunt for Vulkan states that the Salamander Lord is the last living primarch.

A peep is the wrong word for it, there has not been a incursion which waranted Imperium wide alert. The Cadian systemwas not yet fortified, it was significant in its suprise once that went the crusade dealth with in short order, on a Imperial Galaxy wide scale it was a not majorly significant. Since then the Imperium has fortified Cadia and its surounding systems. in the context of the first black crusade the Imperium feels ready, in context of the Beast the first black crusade was a skirmish.

Fen
16-03-2016, 17:30

Nope,nothing regarding Dorn.

Thank god btw,they'd probably end up crafting even another conflicting story about his end/supposed end :D

And Vulkan has always been the last primarch to disappear in the lore (even if the time period he left hasnt been exactly well defined...If i'm not remembering it wrong some places say roughly a millennium after the HH,and that would be right in line with seeing him here,other say even later)

ReconTrojan
16-03-2016, 20:38
Except they had been more worried about internal than external threats. The codex astartes broke up the legions for that express purpose. Remember that first book? The Imperium had not been threatened seriously for over a thousand years, which is why the bulk of the Imperium's military power was out on the frontier chasing scattered bands of orks and pirates. There hadn't even been a peep from the traitor legions in the Eye of Terror since the Scouring.

Agree. yet that still does not account for Terra being basically defenseless. The Core world of humanity should have a home fleet that NEVER leaves the system. Not to mention orbitals extending out. Then of course there is Mars as there no mention of aid coming from them. You have the IF calling out for all their brothers but there are still over 2 million Space Marines and their ships that should have started to rally to Terra. The other thought that came to me is the Emperor himself. Dead but not dead...speaking to us through tarrot cards and dead chickens over peoples heads and everything in-between. Was he caught unawares? The warp is his domain now just odd that some psychics were not made aware of the threat. Of course the whole thing with him is a mystery and I get that but he seems to make his presence felt occasionally and one would assume he felt his dead body about to be ripped from the golden throne he would send out some May days.

Its an interesting series but from a military standpoint I find it laughable. Humans got their asses handed to them by the Legions so you would think they would have a massive human military presence to guard their high lord asses. An OT thought, are the Custodies still around?

Fen
17-03-2016, 00:00
SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

The Core world of humanity should have a home fleet that NEVER leaves the system
They had it, part of the IFs and the core of the coreward fleets

Problem is,the IF moved away with all the fleet because reasons
And the imperial navy was moved out of position during the events of the previous book because....The high admiral was forced into doing it to salvage his political plays. (same thing that happened with the guard regiments on Terra...Part of them are wasted in the second book on the relief fleet for Ardamantua,what was left in the forth with the people crusade)

So,it's not that they dont have it,it's that they mismanaged it tragically because....The senatum sucks badly at everything.

Then of course there is Mars as there no mention of aid coming from them
Well,that's plainly stated in this book.Mars isnt sending any help because they dont plan to help.The Admec has considered Terra "lost-and-we-dont-care-bye-gotta-jump-mars-away" even before the attack moon showed up

You have the IF calling out for all their brothers but there are still over 2 million Space Marines and their ships that should have started to rally to Terra.
Again,the last book kinda answers it,i dont remember the exact point but the BT marshal says that other chapter have received news of the threat to the core systems and are responding to them but most are either too far to respond quickly (Ultramarines) or already engaged by the orks swarming all over the galaxy

Also,remember that even the 7th legion reborn forces (that are the closest to Terra) receive news that Earth is besieged directly DAYS after the attack moon reaches it,so probably most of the chapters have no idea yet.

The point i can concede is that no-one on Terra itself seems concerned about the Emperor...But still,for most he's a god,so probably the idea he could be destroyed isnt even in the realm of possibilities

Also,Terra seems to have no orbital defenses (not that they could use them to blow up a moon but still...)

ReconTrojan
17-03-2016, 03:15
SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

They had it, part of the IFs and the core of the coreward fleets

Problem is,the IF moved away with all the fleet because reasons
And the imperial navy was moved out of position during the events of the previous book because....The high admiral was forced into doing it to salvage his political plays. (same thing that happened with the guard regiments on Terra...Part of them are wasted in the second book on the relief fleet for Ardamantua,what was left in the forth with the people crusade)

So,it's not that they dont have it,it's that they mismanaged it tragically because....The senatum sucks badly at everything.

Well,that's plainly stated in this book.Mars isnt sending any help because they dont plan to help.The Admec has considered Terra "lost-and-we-dont-care-bye-gotta-jump-mars-away" even before the attack moon showed up

Again,the last book kinda answers it,i dont remember the exact point but the BT marshal says that other chapter have received news of the threat to the core systems and are responding to them but most are either too far to respond quickly (Ultramarines) or already engaged by the orks swarming all over the galaxy

Also,remember that even the 7th legion reborn forces (that are the closest to Terra) receive news that Earth is besieged directly DAYS after the attack moon reaches it,so probably most of the chapters have no idea yet.

The point i can concede is that no-one on Terra itself seems concerned about the Emperor...But still,for most he's a god,so probably the idea he could be destroyed isnt even in the realm of possibilities

Also,Terra seems to have no orbital defenses (not that they could use them to blow up a moon but still...)

Yes. I have read the books but my point is that even the Admiral who got hoodwinked into going out with his " Grand" fleet should have asked the question " who is going to mind the store if we fail?" He is described in the last book as a master strategist and even does well in the attack the destroys a smaller moon but this isn't just some world and I find it fascinating for all the time spent on the political intrigue none of these High Lords seem much concerned about a moon just showing up on Terra. Just does not seem plausible.

fluxdeluxe
23-03-2016, 13:32
Yes. I have read the books but my point is that even the Admiral who got hoodwinked into going out with his " Grand" fleet should have asked the question " who is going to mind the store if we fail?" He is described in the last book as a master strategist and even does well in the attack the destroys a smaller moon but this isn't just some world and I find it fascinating for all the time spent on the political intrigue none of these High Lords seem much concerned about a moon just showing up on Terra. Just does not seem plausible.

The whole point is he doesn't care if he fails as he'll be dead. These guys are decadent, selfish, self serving and cowards. They'd be ripe for corruption by the forces of chaos if they'd ventured out of the eye. They are Vainglorious fools and the only people who seem to have any real handle on what should be going on are the SM, The assassins and elements of the inquisition.

The other thing to bear in mind is that most of them are so inflated by self importance that they don't think mere orks will be able to damage them, yes Terra may be devastated, billions may die, but ultimately none of them believe that the palace would ever be breached.

The only thing that i haven't seen adequately explained is the absence of the grey knights, they are in situ in the same solar system, they could be out warring some war or another but it's not really been explained in anyway.

nagash66
23-03-2016, 15:43
ReconTrojan i feel you are missing key element of the series, in that the Imperium could and should have many of the things you mention, but because of its own political nature does not. As fluxdeluxe says, Terra had many of things you would expect it to have, but they were sacrificied by petty men who their own goals and ambitions. And for me that is part of the charm of the series, seeing the Imperium waste a period in which it should have been dominating and re taking all it lost in the HH, not because of chaos plots or xenos manipulation, but instead as a result of the lesser aspects of human nature being allowed to take root int he heart of the imperium.

ReconTrojan
23-03-2016, 22:53
You guys make good points.

The Grey Knights, if they showed up based on their stories they would have to exterminate the population of Terra because they saw them in action.

It's funny while I usually like the political goings on in this series I kept thinking of Horus Lupercal and his views of the administrators of Terra calling the shots. I guess he was right.

Duke_Leto
08-04-2016, 18:18
So just finished book 4 The Last Wall. I am so pleasantly surprised by the high quality and standard being maintained in this series. It really is, for me, one of the best things BL have done in years. I truly hope the quality is maintained. Book 5 is Guy Haley and Book 6 is David Guymer then the authors start on their second books, so then we shall see!

Interesting as well, to me, is that Abnett's book was my least favourite and possibly the weakest. Understandable as it was all about set up and being the "first act" but as Abnett is my absolute fav BL author by far, this just surprised me!

I wonder whether the Horus Heresy would have benefited from this sequential series approach (I guess HH is far grander with multiple stories and thus is a setting rather than a single story)

DarkChaplain
08-04-2016, 20:10
Every book was better than the last, with Abnett's easily being the weakest for me. David Annandale managed to make the fanaticism and desperation of Terra's population tangible and frightening, and then played with our expectations and turned everything on its head.

Fen
11-04-2016, 17:35
The posted a pick of throneworld on the fb page,should be out this friday if they keep the pace with the previous ones

Tichey
13-04-2016, 07:16
Yeah, the quality of these books has been really good so far. Makes me hope that maybe they will do one of these style series every year. Year of necrons, year of books on hive fleet leviathan.

DarkChaplain
13-04-2016, 09:44
I really doubt it. A bunch of the books seem to date a long time back, like Abnett's. A lot of work goes into it - too much to make it an annual thing with so many authors involved. Some of the novels aren't finished yet, too.

I'd like it, don't get me wrong. Having a well planned out series like that is cool. Six books would be fine already, centering around Black Crusades or events like the escalating Damocles War (which they haven't covered at all with new material, for some reason, even though the background books were great).
At least we're getting The Primarchs for the foreseeable future. The first one will release as limited edition this month, too!

veterannoob
13-04-2016, 10:15
We should be seeing presale of book 5 this weekend, right? Recording The Last Wall episode with David Annandale for release this Sunday so those dates should line up. Can't wait to see Throneworld!! :)

nagash66
13-04-2016, 10:54
Can't wait to see Throneworld!! :)

Yeah, Custodes and Sisters of silence in a non Heresy setting is gonna be kick ass.

MajorWesJanson
14-04-2016, 08:59
At least we're getting The Primarchs for the foreseeable future. The first one will release as limited edition this month, too!

Well, that means decent versions in what, a year?

DarkChaplain
14-04-2016, 18:56
Well, that means decent versions in what, a year?

Amazon's launch date for volume 1 is in October. They're usually a month later than the GW/BL dates, though. I'm actually surprised they're releasing the limited edition this early.

veterannoob
14-04-2016, 19:38
Yah, I expect wide BL release in September. David talked about what he could today but glad to know the length and hope BL keep audio same pricing with TBA since books will be same length. If they are pumping their authors at this rate I can understand the 50K word books. Used to them by name, the golden age of $8 paperbacks of early HH are long gone.

MajorWesJanson
15-04-2016, 06:26
Yah, I expect wide BL release in September. David talked about what he could today but glad to know the length and hope BL keep audio same pricing with TBA since books will be same length. If they are pumping their authors at this rate I can understand the 50K word books. Used to them by name, the golden age of $8 paperbacks of early HH are long gone.

I'd be fine with the $10 MMPBs. I just don't want these $14-$18 TPBs or $17-$25 Hardbacks, much less $40 or $50 special Malibu Hardbacks with Hat!

veterannoob
15-04-2016, 07:22
I'd be fine with the $10 MMPBs. I just don't want these $14-$18 TPBs or $17-$25 Hardbacks, much less $40 or $50 special Malibu Hardbacks with Hat!
Free hat, free hat! Lol, glorious.
i have no insight in this but my prediction is $65-85 for first edition (29th) then Fall wide release $18ish hardbacks.

Fen
16-04-2016, 10:37
Throneworld is out

The first chapter opens on the fists and already adds a bit to the lore (the iron knights are called to the last wall,that means they were from an early founding while they were marked as unknown so far) and drops another known name...One of a chapter in purple and gold :D

MajorWesJanson
18-04-2016, 20:18
Throneworld is out

The first chapter opens on the fists and already adds a bit to the lore (the iron knights are called to the last wall,that means they were from an early founding while they were marked as unknown so far) and drops another known name...One of a chapter in purple and gold :D

Too bad custodes get a rather harsh worf effect.

ReconTrojan
19-04-2016, 04:22
Yes but I love the fact they are talking about Big E's power in his current state.

Dragannia
19-04-2016, 08:59
Reading through Throneworld. So far, it's quite good.

Interestingly enough, Harlequins appear to be ramped up in power. A handful (like 5 or 6) enter the Imperial Palace. 2 of them slaughter their way through DOZENS of Custodes before one is killed and the other is captured.

nagash66
19-04-2016, 09:23
Reading through Throneworld. So far, it's quite good.

Interestingly enough, Harlequins appear to be ramped up in power. A handful (like 5 or 6) enter the Imperial Palace. 2 of them slaughter their way through DOZENS of Custodes before one is killed and the other is captured.

Remember book chatting has dedicated spot (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?417608-Throneworld-TBA-5).

Dont want to clog the News thread about the entire series with single book chatting.

Nazguire
11-07-2016, 07:39
The Beast Must Die has been released.

I've only just started reading it, but it definitely has the vibe of the Assault on Klandathu in Starship Troopers....

nagash66
11-07-2016, 08:09
I've only just started reading it, but it definitely has the vibe of the Assault on Klandathu in Starship Troopers....

This...this can only be a good thing. It's an ugly planet, a ork planet!

TheGreatestGood
12-07-2016, 05:58
Looking forward to hearing more about the new book!

Nazguire
12-07-2016, 09:24
So the way i understood it after reading is that

The Great Beast is the Ork equivalent of The Emperor - not just a big Ork like Ghazgkull. He is bristling with psychic energy and the living embodiment of their gods. Plus a legit 10 meters tall and scares the living Jesus out of Beast Krule.

Vulkan is now, the way I understood it, legit dead too now. Completely. No Perpetual stuff with him anymore. By siphoning and sponging all the Ork psychic energy into his soul and then re-directing it at The Great Beast, he's now dead. He certainly seemed to suspect a permanent death for himself and his whole attitude was that this was his final charge.

TheGreatestGood
12-07-2016, 15:25
Big stuff happening then! Especially considering there are still another 4 books to go.

MajorWesJanson
13-07-2016, 06:28
Big stuff happening then! Especially considering there are still another 4 books to go.

Well, just because it is call the Beast Arises doesn't mean that the last 4 books can't be about the resolution of the Beast, Babylon 5 style. Remember the event that follows directly after is the Beheading, which could easily take up 1-3 books

iceviper
13-07-2016, 11:28
Can someone please put full spoilers up for The Beast Must Die. I really want to know how the battle goes down between the Beast and Vulkan. Thanks

veterannoob
13-07-2016, 13:13
Can someone please put full spoilers up for The Beast Must Die. I really want to know how the battle goes down between the Beast and Vulkan. Thanks
Read the book ;) ebook or audio or hardback even, this Saturday.

iceviper
13-07-2016, 14:29
I plan too. However im miles behind. Only just finished book 4.

DarkChaplain
13-07-2016, 16:21
Vulkan apparently actually dies this time. Beast is big and crazy awesome. Well praised book so far.

Saunders
15-07-2016, 17:30
Regarding the end of The Beast Must Die,

Vulkan is a Perpetual, so for all we know he will rise again. As far as the Imperium at large is concerned, he died.

Also worth noting that it was mentioned in the book that the Sisters of Silence are no longer around.

Nazguire
16-07-2016, 02:43
Regarding the end of The Beast Must Die,

Vulkan is a Perpetual, so for all we know he will rise again. As far as the Imperium at large is concerned, he died.

Also worth noting that it was mentioned in the book that the Sisters of Silence are no longer around.

yeah Vulkan is a Perpetual. But the way Vulkan was talking about his battle with the Beast and for the entire book it was clear, at least to me, that this was going to be where he is gone for good.

“Such power could not be destroyed, only diverted. Feeling the last gasps of breath escaping his body, Vulkan let his thoughts flow again. He reached out into the undulating waaagh, tapping into that warp-born part of himself that had been for every primarch a blessing and a curse. He allowed his primal essence to mix with that of the orks, his Emperor-created body absorbing the surge of energy like a sponge.
He allowed the pure orkishness that had killed so many Librarians to infuse his body. Vulkan felt the Great Beast tense, its thoughts moving to him with tectonic slowness as it realised something was amiss. It tried to pull back the waaagh, to wrest the raw orkish power from the mind ”

Excerpt From: Gav Thorpe. “The Beast Must Die.” iBooks.

Seems like he absorbed the Great Green into his soul. And throughout the book, Vulkan's attitude is that this is his last hurrah. I don't think he's coming back, but we won't ever know one way or the other.

Mellow
17-07-2016, 13:47
Well his sacrifice seems to have been in vain. As the Beast is still alive!

BlackJuju
10-12-2016, 12:21
http://www.blacklibrary.com/the-beast-arises.html

"I've got pretty high hopes for this series" .
Thank you for providing the link really helpful:D, but PLEASE better give me(us) a good explanation about how Eldar are capable to infiltrate the Imperial Palace, and what the High Lords of Terra will do about this, from the author(s) of book 5. The whole "Alliance" "thingie" that is going on lately is starting to be a bit of antiquated.

nagash66
10-12-2016, 14:28
Thank you for providing the link really helpful:D, but PLEASE better give me(us) a good explanation about how Eldar are capable to infiltrate the Imperial Palace, and what the High Lords of Terra will do about this, from the author(s) of book 5. The whole "Alliance" "thingie" that is going on lately is starting to be a bit of antiquated.
Well things to remember the Palace is continent size. Eldar use the webway to get on terra, from there they make a run to the throne room, splitting up into ever smaller teams as they go. They make it to the eternity tate where the custides swarm them.

Also worthy of note, a bug theme of the series is how bad leadership has left the Imperium open to attack on all levels.

Personally other the custodian vs eldar power level weirdness i like the whole incident.

BlackJuju
11-12-2016, 12:25
This whole "Eldar super usage of webway" forced in our neck ..come on is the Holy Imperial Palace !Is just here to make Eldar relevant. Well thats my opinion.

Voss
11-12-2016, 17:15

Well, not sure where the Beast books are going with it, but the HH books are pretty clear that the Emperor was mucking about with the Webway in the basement of the Imperial Palace when Magnus barged in warning about Horus (and got his homeworld burned for his trouble).

Presumably it ties in with however Master of Mankind ends. Even if it's just seals/door/wards weakening after 1500 years or so.

Hellebore
12-12-2016, 02:48
I can say that I'm happy this project was developed. Although it had the Imperium as its protagonists as usual, making the orks a real apocalyptic threat and the subsequent devastation wrought seemed like an actual tangible thing as opposed to another one off skirmish where everyone is stomped by the bestest marines.

I'm not immediately anti- prime-orks either, even if a 10 metre tall ork warboss wearing a gargant for armour does seem ridiculous. It still fits into the ork paradigm pretty well.

Now if they'd some more around the other aliens and even do an alien vs alien mega destruction (maybe eldar vs nids) with the imperium playing a secondary role that would be good.

Incinerating Kaldor Draigo from the background would also be nice.