PDA

View Full Version : [Stormcast Eternals] Paladins and Starsoul Mace

Yrch
07-10-2015, 22:05
So i got my first box of Paladins for my army and now im thinking about what i should build and if i should add Star Soul maces.
So far i got the contet of the Start box plus 1 Lord-Castellant and a Knight-Vexillor.
These are my thoughts:

Build 5 Retributors and add 2 Star soul maces - these guys are every monsters bane cause of their chance to cause mortal wounds and having 2 star soul maces gives 2-6 Mortal wounds wich is pretty damn nice to get the HP of huge monsters down quick. on the other hand just having a lord-castellant in their back will make em hit on 2 and do mortal wounds on 5 making the Mace unattractive.

Build 5 decimators with no mace - these guys mow through large infantry units so adding maces would actually reduce their effectivness.

As much as i like the looks of Protectors, i dont really see any big use for them. their D6 to monsters on a 6 is nice, but imo Retris are better because they can make up to 4 wounds per model or even mortal wounds, making them more reliable in the monster killing department.

i'm really leaning towards the Decis for now to have some reliable crowd-pleasers and upping my retris to two units of 5 with maces for later, any idea or experience report appreciated :)

Deus_Vult
08-10-2015, 12:54
I've been having amazing success with my retributors. They are truly the best paladin-type.

But as for protectors vs decimators I'm leaining towards the protectors myself. I really like their "screening rule" because it lets me protect my characters from the endless shooting
I'm currently being subjected to by my O&G, HE and Dwarf opponents. Killing large groups of dwarf warriors or high elf spearmen is something I can handle without decimators and I don't really see a need for them, it's hard to get them into a position where all of them can utilize their "hit everyone in range" potential.

Grit
08-10-2015, 20:47
You cant have two star soul maces in a unit of 5!
Its one in 5 models can have one isnt it.

Kurtboard
08-10-2015, 22:58
Grit, redownload the warscrolls for the paladin units and you will see they increased the number of star soul maces to 2 per 5. This is in line with what is printed in the Stormcaste Eternal Battle Tome.

Also as a wood elf player, I fear the protectors far more than the decimators.

Kurt

Yrch
08-10-2015, 23:01
You cant have two star soul maces in a unit of 5!
Its one in 5 models can have one isnt it.

Battletome, App and the sheet within the box state its 2 maces per 5 models and the box comes with 2 starsoul mace heads so im pretty sure its 2.

@Deus_vult:
yeah after thinking about it today im leaning more and more towards building retris as they are more "allrounder" than the other options.
the main reason why i would build decis is because my main opponent uses beastmen on square bases in hughe numbers (i think they are in 25mm?). gibing them +1 save from the castellant and have him pile would ensure maximim carnage with minimum losses, but yeah after the cleaning the decis would have a hard time against the giant and other big beasts...

Lissė-Prime
10-10-2015, 19:59
on the other hand just having a lord-castellant in their back will make em hit on 2 and do mortal wounds on 5 making the Mace unattractive.

Lord-Castellant's Warding Lantern let you add 1 to save rolls (and heal if 7+) maybe you mentioned Lord-Celestant?

IMO each type of Paladin has their own use.
Retributors - Crush big guy, bring 2 maces
Decimators - Blend a group of small guys, bring no mace
Protectors - Protect your boss. Whether to bring mace or not is still up for debate. Can kill big guys if you are lucky.

So far I've seen Retributors' success than the others. There was once I rolled 4 dices that were 6 (became 8 mortal wounds) and that monster was turned into dust in a single blow. The other times they worked out on average but better than any other Paladins.

Yrch
11-10-2015, 21:32
yeah i meant the Celestant, god dman these names...

yeah seems like Retris are really the best choice overall....
maybe ill just build 2 units of 5 with 2 maces per unit for a strong core and then some decis or prots later for backup.