PDA

View Full Version : What's the Imperium got against spectacles?!

Bronka
07-07-2006, 21:48
Here's a poser for you all.

I was sitting in the garden earlier, casually smoking a cigarette, when it suddenly occured to me that no models in 40K are ever wearing glasses. There's the accassional 'robo-eye' or 'cyber-monacle', but not one example of good old fashioned specs! At least none that I can remember.

Why do you think that is?

IJW
07-07-2006, 21:50
Because they don't generally look very good on minis? And would you really want to risk your glasses falling off during CC...

Kymar
07-07-2006, 22:00
Can you imagine how tiny and fragile they'd be? Sure they could just be round extensions on the model's head, but those would be more goggles then glasses, and many models already do have goggles.

Some guy (UK)
07-07-2006, 22:03
Because Specsavers got shut down.

Later, Some Guy

Maleficum
07-07-2006, 22:09
Imperial Guardsmen get the laser-treatment when enrolled. ;)

ArtificerArmour
07-07-2006, 22:13
they're notoriously difficult to paint.

Anyone, brains from the last chancers have some on.

Steel_Legion
07-07-2006, 22:15
an imperial guard commisar has sunglasses i think... and i think one of the Schaffers last chancers has glasses, apart from that, your correct! maybe the have contact lenses?

Damien 1427
07-07-2006, 22:19
Contact lenses, advanced surgery, implants, and bionics seem to cover it.

Lostanddamned
07-07-2006, 22:20
You issue every man in your army with a low powered laser, its only a matter of time until none of them are myopic anymore.

Overlord Krycis
07-07-2006, 22:20
Imperial Guardsmen get the laser-treatment when enrolled. ;)

You wouldn't think so from their shooting phase...:evilgrin:

Insane Psychopath
07-07-2006, 22:47
I thought Brains from Last Chancher (sp) had them or what about the Necromund gang??? There also the Jungle fighters where sun specs if that counts.

IP

Steel_Legion
07-07-2006, 23:15
yeah brains does, i checked it out when i posted (didnt wanna be seen as a fool!) dont know much about necrominda, so cant back that up

Chem-Dog
07-07-2006, 23:25
Delaque House has a congenital sensitivity to light, most of it's members have some for of eye protection, be it goggles, contacts or some similar filtering device.

Spectacles are used by characters in quite a few BL books, ones that deal with Civilians especially. One assumes that to get into the PDF and or IG you need to pass an eye test, Marine Implants and autosenses will probably correct any sight problems etc.

With the advent of bionics the need for specs is greatly reduced, especially amongst the military classes.

Piku
07-07-2006, 23:52
Good point. Time was it was de rigeur to have a speccy as part of the squad, along with 'The Sarge', 'Radio guy', 'Girl back home guy', 'Token joker' and 'Big guy and little guy'.

Warboss Grimmtoof
08-07-2006, 00:01
None of them would. They would have implants for space marines, and most of the IG could have a cheap form of lasik, scratch that just normal lasik...

Minister
08-07-2006, 00:28
No sensible military lets anyone who needs spectacles in a combat unit anyway. They're far too easy to loose or damage.

Bronka
08-07-2006, 00:33
What about the Tau? I heard they're extremely short-sighted....

Chem-Dog
08-07-2006, 00:38
No sensible military...

We are talking about the Imperial Guard here ;):D

Gen.Steiner
08-07-2006, 00:44
Tallarn Lieutenant has sunglasses, one of the Commissars (#2 IIRC) has specs, Brains has specs, the Catachans have spectacles/sunglasses, Tank Crew plastics have sunshades or visors, Captain Al'rahem has sunglasses...

Specs and sunglasses are not as rare as you think. :)

Minister
08-07-2006, 01:54
There's a difference between corrective spectacles and sunglasses/dust goggles though.

And I will point out that the Imperial Guard is not stupid by any means, and anyone who critisizes them is liable to get bayoneted to death by eight year old Cadians.

notdakuningist
08-07-2006, 02:02
I'm thinking something like sport glasses or goggles would be worn by the I.G.

intellectawe
08-07-2006, 02:57
Squats have TONS of sunglasses and shades. They look good too!

But no reading glasses as I can tell.

Wraithbored
08-07-2006, 03:07
Meh simple answer IF you are a guardsman just grab your handy dandy lasgun and shoot yourself in the eye. Voila presto instant eye surgery :p.

Chem-Dog
08-07-2006, 03:13
And I will point out that the Imperial Guard is not stupid by any means, and anyone who critisizes them is liable to get bayoneted to death by eight year old Cadians.

Been IG since RT days :p

Griefbringer
08-07-2006, 08:04
I am quite sure that most (if not all) of my RT era IG models are wearing shades.

Gen.Steiner
08-07-2006, 12:48
True, sunglasses are different to spectacles, but at least two Guard models are wearing spectacles, one of whom is a Commissar - and they often to do time with the Stormtroopers.

I suspect that corrective eye surgery may be too expensive at times, so specs work just as well. PDFs will almost certainly have men with specs in them, as will militias.

And don't forget, the Imperial Guard isn't too fussy... if you have to make tithe, and you need to fill your quota with people with specs, you do it. Or else the Munitorium has Strong Words with you.

Minister
08-07-2006, 13:00
It also occurs to me that the RT era Guardsmen come from the era of the Photon Flash grenade.

Gen.Steiner
08-07-2006, 13:05
The Photon Flash grenade still exists!

I refuse to let it die... :(

MadJackMcJack
08-07-2006, 13:12
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only contact lenses.

Zingraff
10-07-2006, 13:48
This has bothered me as well. Lack of sunlight, and spending too much time indoors and in darkness, is often assumed to cause myopia or at least worsen the condition. And in 40k there are numerous examples of planets and hives bathed in eternal darkness, like with Mordia. It's only natural that people living in conditions like these should develop severe myopia, like we see in Japan or Taiwan. In my opinion, models representing Guard regiments raised on hives or such like, should reflect this, by having one or two models wearing glasses.

Besides, many modern armies still make use of soldiers with glasses, and the US Army is by no means an exception.

I've been wearing glasses all my life, and arguments such as glasses being to frail, easy to damage or lose, or in some other way being unpractical in the field, make very little sense to me. If my glasses don't fall of my head when I bow forwards to tie my shoes, then why should I lose them when I run through the woods or crawl around in mud? The only disadvantage as far as I can see, is the limited side-vision caused by the glasses, and an overall smaller field of vision, but if you have worn glasses all your life, then you'll also have learned to work around this.

Does the Imperial Guard perform or offer laser surgery? If we assume that the relatively large number bionic eyes seen on many models are intended to replace myopic eyes, then obviously laser surgery is not available.

Gen.Steiner
10-07-2006, 13:51
Bionic eyes are replacements for missing eyes, or, in the case of the Skitarii and AdMech, improvements to the weak flesh.

I think this is a case where the models fail to reflect the fluff. Either that or everyone gets laser corrective surgery!

Lastie
10-07-2006, 14:26
I think this is a case where the models fail to reflect the fluff. Either that or everyone gets laser corrective surgery!

Well, we all know the Imperial Guard offers an excellent medical package to go with the A* pension sceheme and support for your loved ones should you snuff it. :D

Gen.Steiner
10-07-2006, 20:27
IIRC, the 'support' is "we may or may not send a little note to your next of kin informing them of your death." :p

Pensions? Pensions!? Good grief! I should hope not! That would encourage them to think they might survive!

Tanith Ghost
10-07-2006, 21:32
So what happens if they do? :p

Gen.Steiner
10-07-2006, 21:43
They either go home, or found a new world.

Or, if they're INSANE, which they may well be, they re-enlist or wind up in an Inqusitor's retinue.

Colonel_Kreitz
10-07-2006, 23:34
Tallarn Lieutenant has sunglasses, one of the Commissars (#2 IIRC) has specs, Brains has specs, the Catachans have spectacles/sunglasses, Tank Crew plastics have sunshades or visors, Captain Al'rahem has sunglasses...

Specs and sunglasses are not as rare as you think. :)

Quite right on all accounts. As for guardsmen from some planets (such as Armageddon, Cadia, Mordia, etc.), it's obviously one of the benefits of joining the Guard.

What, you tought men joined up for love of the Emperor? Certainly that's a factor, but the bulk of Guardsmen enlist because they get free Lazik surgery and a great dental plan.;)

Gen.Steiner
10-07-2006, 23:41
In fairness it's hard to tell with the Steel Legionnaires, they could easily have glasses on under their gas masks...

Easy E
11-07-2006, 01:12
I think Brains of the Last Chancers had specs.

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947010513308&orignav=301117&ParentID=9584&GameNav=301115&ItemNav=301361

Gen.Steiner
11-07-2006, 04:38
Indeed he did - and very nice specs they are too.

Duel_Crisis
11-07-2006, 05:16
This has bothered me as well. Lack of sunlight, and spending too much time indoors and in darkness, is often assumed to cause myopia or at least worsen the condition. And in 40k there are numerous examples of planets and hives bathed in eternal darkness, like with Mordia. It's only natural that people living in conditions like these should develop severe myopia, like we see in Japan or Taiwan. In my opinion, models representing Guard regiments raised on hives or such like, should reflect this, by having one or two models wearing glasses.

Besides, many modern armies still make use of soldiers with glasses, and the US Army is by no means an exception.

I've been wearing glasses all my life, and arguments such as glasses being to frail, easy to damage or lose, or in some other way being unpractical in the field, make very little sense to me. If my glasses don't fall of my head when I bow forwards to tie my shoes, then why should I lose them when I run through the woods or crawl around in mud? The only disadvantage as far as I can see, is the limited side-vision caused by the glasses, and an overall smaller field of vision, but if you have worn glasses all your life, then you'll also have learned to work around this.

Does the Imperial Guard perform or offer laser surgery? If we assume that the relatively large number bionic eyes seen on many models are intended to replace myopic eyes, then obviously laser surgery is not available.
I think in all fairness that the Hive Worlds are big enough in terms of population to reject those with bad enough eyesight. I'm sure some make do with squinting though.

Sai-Lauren
11-07-2006, 12:57
The real reason is that they would be an utter nightmare to paint properly - and chances are they'd all wind up as shades anyway.

And let's not even consider 28mm scale etched brass parts - far, far, far too fiddly.:eek:

Minister
11-07-2006, 13:49
Indeed he did - and very nice specs they are too.
However Brains was also assigned to the last chancers from an administrative position. He was not originally combat personell.