PDA

View Full Version : Korghos khul, lord of the goretide

KevinC
12-10-2015, 03:35
KORGHOS KHUL, LORD OF THE GORETIDE

Hey guys,

This PDF describes one of Khorne's greatest Champions, Korghos Khul, for WFB with full 8th Edition rules.
You can download the file and/or submit comments at the EEFL forum:
http://eefl.freeforums.net/thread/86/korghos-khul-goretide-playtest-version

Lars Porsenna
12-10-2015, 04:06
Cool! Might pick up the model now...

Damon.

Pojko
12-10-2015, 04:32
I think it's cool that they're doing this. But he seems grossly underpriced for what he's capable of. Basically 6 wounds, 8 attacks, MR 3, killing blow and HKB in challenges for 380 points?

Kherith
12-10-2015, 06:42
I think it's cool that they're doing this. But he seems grossly underpriced for what he's capable of. Basically 6 wounds, 8 attacks, MR 3, killing blow and HKB in challenges for 380 points?

Not sure as far as I can see he doesn't have armour of any kind so he's a bit of a paper tiger :p

Vazalaar
12-10-2015, 06:47
Not sure as far as I can see he doesn't have armour of any kind so he's a bit of a paper tiger :p

Surely this is a mistake.
He should atleast have Chaos Amour.

@Kevin, Great work!!
But don't forget the Chaos Armour and I would raise the point cost with 50 points.

ChaosGrobi
12-10-2015, 10:01
Isnt this model AoS starter set only?

Edit: Nevermind, stupid objection...

GrandmasterWang
12-10-2015, 15:16
Awesome.

Great job KevinC!

Will have to check this out for Chillhammer with my mate with the model.

Hopefully the rest of the Bloodbound are coming :)

In a few weeks when I'm back home ill have to playtest these new rules.

This is what I was hoping would happen with the starter set models, 8th rules

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

KevinC
12-10-2015, 15:29
Thanks for the comments guys.

FYI, I left his equipment out by accident. He does wear Chaos Armour.

Whirlwind
12-10-2015, 17:10
Yeah I think Heroic Killing blow is going to be too much (and even this many Killing blows may be too much) for the number of attacks he has. Playing mathammer with the high WS and I he is almost always going to hitting first with 3+ to hit (except in rare cases). Overall he'll have about a 55% chance of HKB anything before they even get to strike back unless they have a ward save (and then at most the save will only be 50:50 reliable).

HKB should be limited in my opinion. Maybe something along the lines of Korghos may swap all his attacks for one HKB attack at S10 with D3 wounds (i.e. even if HKB isn't successful it can still dish out damage, but you take the risk of fluffing and losing a lot of attacks) and not have limited to challenges only.

Spiney Norman
12-10-2015, 17:39
Am I the only one who doesn't think HKB in this context is a massive deal?

It only works in a challenge so basically won't be applicable to the majority of monsters or monstrous units in the game (it will only affect monstrous characters or characters mounted in monsters - which are generally never taken in wfb). So ok ogre characters won't like it but who else is it going to effect? How often do you see a togged up cc Lord on a dragon or similar? It's not like he's going to be ripping through units of MC with it.

Panzer MkIV
12-10-2015, 17:54
Yeah I think Heroic Killing blow is going to be too much (and even this many Killing blows may be too much) for the number of attacks he has. Playing mathammer with the high WS and I he is almost always going to hitting first with 3+ to hit (except in rare cases). Overall he'll have about a 55% chance of HKB anything before they even get to strike back unless they have a ward save (and then at most the save will only be 50:50 reliable).

HKB should be limited in my opinion. Maybe something along the lines of Korghos may swap all his attacks for one HKB attack at S10 with D3 wounds (i.e. even if HKB isn't successful it can still dish out damage, but you take the risk of fluffing and losing a lot of attacks) and not have limited to challenges only.

These are 8th edition rules: the KB and HKB only counts for Korghos' attacks. Grizzle-maw only has 3 str5 attacks

Nice rules :)

Vazalaar
12-10-2015, 17:57

It only works in a challenge so basically won't be applicable to the majority of monsters or monstrous units in the game (it will only affect monstrous characters or characters mounted in monsters - which are generally never taken in wfb). So ok ogre characters won't like it but who else is it going to effect? How often do you see a togged up cc Lord on a dragon or similar? It's not like he's going to be ripping through units of MC with it.

I also don't mind the Heroic Killing Blow, a character on a monster can easly avoide Korghos Kul. It's certainly a killing machine, which seems fitting to its fluff. Hopefully we will see more of this type of pfds with 8th edition rules for AoS units, monsters and characters.

I can't wait to see more! :D

Question, shouldn't have Grizzlemaw the Daemons of Khorne special rule (Hatred Daemons of Slaanesh and +1 strength when charges for the remainder of that turn). It's a Fleshound afterall.

KevinC
12-10-2015, 18:17
Thanks so much for the comments!

You can certainly expect to see more PDF files like this. Over on the EEFL forum, we are developing an 8th edition army list for the Stormcast Eternals and a Bretonnian army book. More new units like the Slaughterpriest will be coming as well.

Regarding Korghos, I see it like this: He is a standard Chaos Lord of Khorne with +1I, MR3, Killing Blow and 3 additional S4 attacks.

His major benefits are 6 Wounds and HKB in challenges. But I believe they are each, in turn, balanced. While he has 6 wounds, he only has a 4+ armour save, he is in serious trouble if he is taking S6 hits (or higher attacks). Further more, as a special character, his HKB is not a surprise. Your opponent will know about it. As a result, an opponent can steer their big character away from Khul if they choose, after all, Korghos is only an infantry model with movement 4.

But, please keep comments and suggestions coming. I'd be curious about hearing about him in actual games too.

Feel free to leave comments over on the EEFL forum too: http://eefl.freeforums.net

Thanks!

Whirlwind
12-10-2015, 19:14
These are 8th edition rules: the KB and HKB only counts for Korghos' attacks. Grizzle-maw only has 3 str5 attacks

Nice rules :)

Yes I know. 5 attacks hitting on 3+ (most cases) that's 3.33 hits. 1/6 of these will result in HKB = 0.555 of the wounds (i.e. in any round there is roughly a 50:50 chance of causing a HKB and over two rounds you will generally roll one 6). With his very high I in most cases he will also be striking first, again reducing return attacks

And with regards HKB it's not just special characters, every unit with monstrous unit with a champion is susceptible, for example demigryph knights, tomb king chariots, character with corpse cart (and in challenges he can protect himself from a significant fraction of return attacks anyway). In my opinion anyway monsters should be made more viable not even less so.

Other than the (H)KB his rules look fine, but I do think this needs to be toned down otherwise you're heading toward Herohammer (which may be what you are looking for in which case I'll rest my case).

ewar
12-10-2015, 19:43
Yes I know. 5 attacks hitting on 3+ (most cases) that's 3.33 hits. 1/6 of these will result in HKB = 0.555 of the wounds (i.e. in any round there is roughly a 50:50 chance of causing a HKB and over two rounds you will generally roll one 6). With his very high I in most cases he will also be striking first, again reducing return attacks

And with regards HKB it's not just special characters, every unit with monstrous unit with a champion is susceptible, for example demigryph knights, tomb king chariots, character with corpse cart (and in challenges he can protect himself from a significant fraction of return attacks anyway). In my opinion anyway monsters should be made more viable not even less so.

Other than the (H)KB his rules look fine, but I do think this needs to be toned down otherwise you're heading toward Herohammer (which may be what you are looking for in which case I'll rest my case).

I like running monster riding characters and honestly I don't see it as a big deal, any champion will decline his challenge. It's situational enough to be in the fun rather than OP camp. Watching Nagash flee from an infantry character would be pretty funny. Any dragon rider can avoid him, same for other monstrous characters who are nearly all flyers.

Skargit Crookfang
12-10-2015, 21:05

I'm with you.

HKB is a nice ability, but situational. It's not like trying to guess with Brett Lord/Pally has the virtue, you KNOW this guy has it, so plan accordingly. Also, he's infantry... not exactly all that mobile. It's fine as is.

Col. Tartleton
12-10-2015, 23:34
He's pretty expensive for a walking beat stick so I think it's okay.

GrandmasterWang
13-10-2015, 00:57
Also remember any costly character will likely have a ward save so can still potentially survive the HKB.

GrandmasterWang
13-10-2015, 14:27
Having read through his rules now i think he is pretty well balanced and I would have no problem using him in Chillhammer.

He can be easily countered and killing blowed himself so definitely not OP (i prefer custom stuff on the weaker side of things and Khorghos fits)

Another point is that if you field him in a regiment as some square basing him might.... you will lose 2 attacks from the Chaos warriors or whatever behind him due to his base size.

When i get back home I'm going to have to do a best of 5 series Khorne off between him and my custom Arbaal the Undefeated who clocks in at 325 points and also of course has his own flesh hound :). My Arbaal rocks a 1+ Armor Save and a 4+ Ward save but has 3 wounds vs the 6 so yeah we shall see...

Imo KevinC once Chaos Armor is added in these rules are fun, flavourful and ready to use. Kudos for bringing this mighty Skull Kollector to 8th.

A mighty effort!

GrandmasterWang
13-11-2015, 06:00
Anyone else playtested these rules?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

KevinC
18-12-2015, 23:33
Playtest Version II of Korghos Khul rules are up. Thanks for the comments.

http://eefl.freeforums.net/thread/118/korghos-khul-goretide-playtest-version

GrandmasterWang
19-12-2015, 00:32
Cool will check them out thanks. Love how professional you make it look.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk