PDA

View Full Version : Master of mankind

ReconTrojan
12-10-2015, 17:54
The author posted a small blurb on FB of the Emperor having a conversation with......Ra?

So the whole notion of Gods & Imperial Truth is a real mess in my opinion. I do understand that a possible explanation is eliminating the masses feeding the Chaos Gods but did he really think he could fully extinguish man's need for worship? I mean hell he couldn't even do it on his own creation like the Word bearers.

fluxdeluxe
12-10-2015, 18:54
The author posted a small blurb on FB of the Emperor having a conversation with......Ra?

So the whole notion of Gods & Imperial Truth is a real mess in my opinion. I do understand that a possible explanation is eliminating the masses feeding the Chaos Gods but did he really think he could fully extinguish man's need for worship? I mean hell he couldn't even do it on his own creation like the Word bearers.

its well established that the Emperor told a pack of lies in this respect. What's not particularly clear is why. Also the quote could be taken out of context we don't know who 'Ra' is.

it could be the deity, a shard of himself as a gestalt, a human, a neutral warp entity, a human, trans-human or Xeno.

The why is the real question, hopefully MoM will start to shed real light on some of His true motivations, he knew the heresy was coming, he planned Nicea decades before any censure to Magnus, he knows what's going to happen to himself and Horus at the end of the Heresy. There's also the question of what the golden throne is and where it came from.

A relic of the dark age of technology? Something of Xeno origin like the Eldar? Necrons? Even the old ones. Can't wait for this book to be honest even fit hints at some of the above it will be great and, well, it's by ADB 😍😍

Giledan
13-10-2015, 11:52
A relic of the dark age of technology? Something of Xeno origin like the Eldar? Necrons? Even the old ones. Can't wait for this book to be honest even fit hints at some of the above it will be great and, well, it's by ADB 

Something like this perhaps... (bored at work)
A silence had settled. The few humans present were barely breathing, suddenly aware they were one of the few sources of sound in the chamber. Even the priests of the mechanicum had silenced their noospheres and shut their servitors down to idle.
The custodians had shut off the power to their armour and halberds, an action almost unheard of when in the presence of their liege lord. Valdor. Must have been his command, allowing himself a rare moment of confidence in their safety. The custodians were still ready to face any threat, they would be fully back to readiness in less than a tenth of a second should the need arise.
There it was. ‘The Golden Throne’. A stupid title for a machine, a relic, a … turning point in humanities history. From here nowhere would be beyond their reach. It was finished. At last.
Even Malcador had fallen silent, the old man had to much too say these days. Usually wise words that needed to be said, words that could not be said by Him.
After a while a few pair of eyes started flickering from the Throne to Him. It was time to speak, say the words that would start the new age of humankind. He drew a breath.
“So Mal, how are you?”

ReconTrojan
13-10-2015, 23:36
its well established that the Emperor told a pack of lies in this respect. What's not particularly clear is why. Also the quote could be taken out of context we don't know who 'Ra' is.

it could be the deity, a shard of himself as a gestalt, a human, a neutral warp entity, a human, trans-human or Xeno.

The why is the real question, hopefully MoM will start to shed real light on some of His true motivations, he knew the heresy was coming, he planned Nicea decades before any censure to Magnus, he knows what's going to happen to himself and Horus at the end of the Heresy. There's also the question of what the golden throne is and where it came from.

A relic of the dark age of technology? Something of Xeno origin like the Eldar? Necrons? Even the old ones. Can't wait for this book to be honest even fit hints at some of the above it will be great and, well, it's by ADB 

While true we don't know the context I think based on the comments after everyone believes it to be the Egyptian God, Ra.

I'm with you, I find E the most interesting of everything and also the most frustrating because as you said he knows for the most part how its going to play out. They have stolen so much from Dune I just don't know if he is Muad'Dib or Leto II and is messing with us for our own good.

This book cannot get here fast enough.

Graeme
14-10-2015, 13:25
...I think based on the comments after everyone believes it to be the Egyptian God, Ra.

Speak for yourself. I'm still holding out for this guy to be revealed as one of the two missing Primarchs. It all makes sense!

narradisall
14-10-2015, 14:52
This book could give some awesome insight but I wonder how much they'll keep deliberately vague and ultimately add nothing.

ReconTrojan
14-10-2015, 15:03
This book could give some awesome insight but I wonder how much they'll keep deliberately vague and ultimately add nothing.

True, very true. Add the fact we are getting it in the 3rd person and not from the Supreme being himself only confirms your suspicions. That is the most frustrating for me and I know its been discussed and all the reasons for keeping the mystery but its still frustrating because of the mess 40k has become because of his bad choices.

narradisall
14-10-2015, 15:50
It'll all be some sort of "God works in mysterious ways" but I am hoping they will answer some questions.

DarkChaplain
14-10-2015, 22:11
Well, for now there's something else teased as the next novel. Looks to me like Imperial Fists & Ultramarines vs Night Lords at Sotha, and (what I assume to be) the title would imply that the Pharos is gonna end up shut down.

ReconTrojan
15-10-2015, 00:50
Well, for now there's something else teased as the next novel. Looks to me like Imperial Fists & Ultramarines vs Night Lords at Sotha, and (what I assume to be) the title would imply that the Pharos is gonna end up shut down.

Yeah BL seems to be getting a thrill with these surprises. I mean first we heard MoM was delayed, not started etc and the the author announces...surprise I'm 1/2 way done. Then today a picture of a powered fist and a statement that this is the next HH novel. They even said it pushes it closer to Terra but of course they said that about the last two as well and frankly I don't see Terra anywhere in sight. But we already have a thread on that issue.

DarkChaplain
15-10-2015, 11:07
Deathfire *definitely* got the Salamanders closer to Terra, and Imperium Secundus is shown as quite strained. Are they *at* Terra yet? No. Are they aware that Terra still stands and Dorn calls for them? Yes. They got Vulkan back and Terra beckons.

This "Dying of the Light" novel might actually manage to break the dull Imperium Secundus arc by killing off the Pharos on Sotha (which they're definitely talking about judging from the "this rings out 10,000 years into the future" stuff - Tyranids) and thus destroying the guiding light to Macragge.

There's already been a short story to set up the Night Lords at Sotha. It was by Guy Haley, and he's also written a piece of Imperium Secundus before. If this novel is also by him, I got high hopes.

ReconTrojan
15-10-2015, 14:32
Deathfire *definitely* got the Salamanders closer to Terra, and Imperium Secundus is shown as quite strained. Are they *at* Terra yet? No. Are they aware that Terra still stands and Dorn calls for them? Yes. They got Vulkan back and Terra beckons.

This "Dying of the Light" novel might actually manage to break the dull Imperium Secundus arc by killing off the Pharos on Sotha (which they're definitely talking about judging from the "this rings out 10,000 years into the future" stuff - Tyranids) and thus destroying the guiding light to Macragge.

There's already been a short story to set up the Night Lords at Sotha. It was by Guy Haley, and he's also written a piece of Imperium Secundus before. If this novel is also by him, I got high hopes.

Truthfully as much as I have complained about it ( the slow march to Terra) if the stories were good I could care a less how long it takes because we all know how it ends. Of course reading a 3 book arc on the Terra invasion and outcome will be awesome with filled in details never mentioned before will
be fantastic the sad truth is when its done...its done. Of course I think they are already laying the ground work for 32k but that is less interesting to me as perhaps pre-Crusade stories would be with the Thunder Warriors ( which does make me wonder about my two favorites we left back on terra 15 books ago) but ultimately I wonder if the ending of the HH arc will compel BL to finally do something about 40k and the " the last great war" which brings everyone back for some 10 year 100 book climax. From a business model that would get the current management through retirement. They could follow the Hollywood script and just re-write everything all over again with new youthful writers in 2030.

narradisall
15-10-2015, 15:55
Three books for the siege of terra? I expect they'll make much more of a meal of it than that.

Darke
16-10-2015, 10:45
Why do an "End Times" with 40k when they can just do a "Lost Legions" series set before the Horus Heresy/during the Great Crusade and continue to print money? Horus, the Emperor, and the other 17 Primarchs vs. the two Lost Legion Primarchs...

narradisall
16-10-2015, 10:57
I do think they could easily do the lost legions. I know it was originally allowing players to make up their own legions but with so many chapters founded later and varying so much after 10,000 years you could still do that and have the lost legions explained. Plus it would be awesome.

ReconTrojan
16-10-2015, 19:04
Three books for the siege of terra? I expect they'll make much more of a meal of it than that.

I'm on record that the HH series will be over 100 books. But if BL writes a book for every legion's involvement at Terra than yes...25 books to close it out. But really does one need more than 2000 pages to describe and fill out the invasion of terra and the battle between E and Horus?

ReconTrojan
16-10-2015, 19:05
Why do an "End Times" with 40k when they can just do a "Lost Legions" series set before the Horus Heresy/during the Great Crusade and continue to print money? Horus, the Emperor, and the other 17 Primarchs vs. the two Lost Legion Primarchs...

That would be a pretty short series, I mean two legions versus 18 and the entire Imperium?

Snake Tortoise
17-10-2015, 08:46
They could bring the HH series to an end but then allow authors to continue writing novels set during the Heresy, just not as part of the HH series of books. Why not?

Animal310
17-10-2015, 16:28
They could bring the HH series to an end but then allow authors to continue writing novels set during the Heresy, just not as part of the HH series of books. Why not?

I'm in no hurry to get to Terra but I don't see why, once Terra is done they could not do further books set anytime during the HH and still be part of the series.

narradisall
17-10-2015, 18:23
Having only just read through most of the series there are gaps id like to see. More on Mortarian and the traitor primarchs that have been absent for a while.

Even after terra and Horus falls, they could milk a dozen or so more books out of the retreat to the eye as I think it took a few years for them to remove the traitors entirely.

Mellow
18-10-2015, 07:56
They will probably make the final battle between Horus and The Emperor either:

a) A single line "weapons clashed, The Emperor fell but with a final tear in his eye he obliterates Horus' soul"

or

b) A limited edition book priced 70 ... for 10 pages

DarkChaplain
18-10-2015, 20:06
Yeah.... No.

ReconTrojan
19-10-2015, 14:55
They will probably make the final battle between Horus and The Emperor either:

a) A single line "weapons clashed, The Emperor fell but with a final tear in his eye he obliterates Horus' soul"

or

b) A limited edition book priced 70 ... for 10 pages

LOL! Sad but true. But as DarkChaplin says no, they are not that callous.

Lupe
26-10-2015, 12:48
LOL! Sad but true. But as DarkChaplin says no, they are not that callous.

Indeed. They're probably going to cover from various POVs it in at least three novels (like they did with Istvaan III), a limited edition novella, several overpriced e-shorts and two time-limited 12 to 15 page e-shorts from Horus and the Emperor's POVs.

And they probably don't even need me to give them ideas...

MarcusAurelius
05-11-2015, 02:50
I understand profit-maximizing and pleasing the shareholders...but BL's money-grubbing seems to be damaging in the long-run

narradisall
05-11-2015, 07:52
BL has been expensive compared to other books for some time. I read through the whole HH series recently but didn't buy anything first hand, and I buy a lot of books generally.

ReconTrojan
07-11-2015, 13:55
Indeed. They're probably going to cover from various POVs it in at least three novels (like they did with Istvaan III), a limited edition novella, several overpriced e-shorts and two time-limited 12 to 15 page e-shorts from Horus and the Emperor's POVs.

And they probably don't even need me to give them ideas...

Exactly, so 35 books to cover the siege :) ? Didn't it last a few months anyway. I will be curious if in MoM if they offer any insight to the Emperors state of being in 40k? He knows whats going to happen so I wonder if there is a sentence or two that offers any insight to the end-game in his mind.

MarcusAurelius
08-11-2015, 14:47
I think a trilogy for the Siege would suffice

narradisall
08-11-2015, 16:10
Three would probably suffice but you know we'll get more. I wouldn't mind the siege from multiple pov, purely because there's a lot of different rivalries going on. Five full novels max would do, but yeah we're going to get short stories, everything probably like 10+

ReconTrojan
10-11-2015, 00:37
Three would probably suffice but you know we'll get more. I wouldn't mind the siege from multiple pov, purely because there's a lot of different rivalries going on. Five full novels max would do, but yeah we're going to get short stories, everything probably like 10+

Looking at what BL calls getting " closer" to Terra we still have a ways to go.....