PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel you will buy the new models?

Immortus
13-10-2015, 13:23
I'd rather this didn't fall into a debate about aos on its own, rather can you imagine yourself buying new models?
Obviously nothing has been announced, i've not seen leaks either. However, new models are coming for the rebranded race's. Do you foresee yourself buying in?

I can see many reason too and not to but what are you doing and why?

To be up front i ask because; until recent press release (back peddle)GW ignored its gaming customers stating it is a modeling company and to my opinion, has had aweful business practices towards its player base.

I don't forsee myself buying any new models regardless of aesthetics purely on principal as a scorned player. Though i do know people that will as they are only interested in the models and how they can fit into the rules they do use.

HelloKitty
13-10-2015, 13:33
I buy products based on how I feel about the product; I don't care about the company. I bought most of the khorne models because I have been a chaos player for a very very long time and I liked how they look.

I've been using them for AoS as well as Frostgrave.

Katastrophe
13-10-2015, 13:44
Units, very unlikely. A random model here or there to use as characters or champions, maybe. It partially depends on scale, aesthetic and cost.

I have zero interest in AoS so it would just be a model purchase where I particularly like the sculpt and, most importantly, believe it's worth the money. Thus far, and for recent years, GWs value has been declining to me and it's been difficult for me to make any purchases.

Herzlos
13-10-2015, 13:48
I'll go as far as saying maybe. But they'd need to be pretty special to get me to part with whatever outlandish prices they want. I'd probably also be using them for Frostgrave, where I already have plenty of minis.

Smooth Boy
13-10-2015, 13:50
I wouldn't dismiss them purely on the fact that I disagree with GW's business practices, after all it's not like they're tea companies paying the plantations pennies or battery farming etc. But I would really really REALLY have to love them to buy them since they'll basically be display pieces for I have no desire to play AoS. I guess like most people I tend to only buy models for the race's I play/collect which was Dwarfs and Undead and is now only the Empire which I'm in the process of finishing off. So I would only consider new human models and since I can guess that they won't be Renaissance themed the short answer is probably not.

Tokamak
13-10-2015, 14:08
If they fit the old army books and match my army, sure. Not looking forward to ordering square bases alongside it though.

Soundwave
13-10-2015, 14:15
I do not wish to turn this into a pricing thread but facts are facts and the 40/50 % increase here in Australia is a real kick in the ghoulies.
Aside from the price though the biggest issue I have with the new designs are the lack of "real" feel. The new models especially the sigmarines are so transparently digital design.
It is so obvious especially in the ones with the bows. Also skarbrand looks like he is made of lego being so square and blocky. Maybe just a personal gripe, although the overall feel is not quite "right" for me.
Mix this with a hefty price tag and I can not see myself picking any up in the future.

ATAC2
13-10-2015, 14:15
Scale will be a big issue for me. If they are bigger than the previous scale it creates problems with the overall aesthetic. I will probably get the Slaughter priest as he is supposed to be taller, but if the rank and file have crept I won't want them. Rumour has it that Tzeentch might be coming, alongside the lizardmen. If so I will certainly take a look.

UndeadKing
13-10-2015, 14:27
Scale hasn't changed. A standing blood warrior is the same height as a chaos warrior. Its the poses that make the look bigger even though they are not.

As for buying new models. Of course. No reason not too

vlad78
13-10-2015, 14:40
Nope. It's over.

CountUlrich
13-10-2015, 14:56
I won't say never but it would have to be EXCEPTIONAL, and for an army that I love.

For one, their current design aesthetic to menis utter pants. WoC was one of my two loves army wise, and both WoC and Sigmarines there is NOTHING in AoS sculpts that even tempts me or attracts menon any level whatsoever.

Secondly, given the way they screwed us, and their utterly horrible business model, commujication, support and customer care they would have to be utterly stunning and exceptional for me to even co sidernit becauss I don't want to give GW another cent.

That said, if there was some exceptional dwarf sculpt AND I could reasonably incorporate it to Kings of War I MIGHT consider it.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

MLP
13-10-2015, 15:13
I will likely buy new models I like. I have bought the AoS box set because I liked the chaos for conversions. I've bought two boxes of Blightkings and Gutrot Spume recently because they're amazing models. I will continue to buy GW models as they make the best models in the world(opinion). I'm in this hobby primarily for the models and secondly for gaming with them.

Price will always be controversial and subjective. I want a model I will weigh up if I think it's worth the price for what it is compared to how much I want it, maybe I'll look for a deal. This is the same process I use for buying almost anything that isn't essential to life.

I'll use the models for whatever game they fit in to that I enjoy playing. Not buying models on principle because you're a scorned player only hurts your own hobby and potential enjoyment, which then builds in to resentment, anger or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okuto
13-10-2015, 15:24
Unlikely, I don't foresee GW keeping the Bret/Empire aesthetic and also the new hero prices don't look competitive compared to alternatives(Avatars of War come to mind).

Geep
13-10-2015, 15:44
Buying bits- almost certainly. I'd like a Gryphound, or that little phoenix-thing. Buying whole models- possibly. Buying a full unit- possible, but unlikely. I have no interest in AoS, or any of the 'new' factions (including the old factions stripped of flavour), but I could be tempted into adding AoS models into a proper Warhammer army. Unfortunately the changing aesthetics don't appeal to me, but a few things barely creep into my 'acceptable' range.

I've been tempted by the Lord with flesh hound (though put off by whatever is happening to his middle), and the new Chaos Warriors would make great Khorne Chosen. I probably would have ordered a few of them, if it wasn't for the insane price costs (I'm kicking myself now, as stuff I wanted has been re-released with a hefty price rise). Unfortunately, due to price, I probably will never get these few models of interest- especially since I need to get square bases to go with them.

Tokamak
13-10-2015, 15:56
Also skarbrand looks like he is made of lego being so square and blocky. Maybe just a personal gripe, although the overall feel is not quite "right" for me.
Mix this with a hefty price tag and I can not see myself picking any up in the future.

I love Skarbrand, huge imporvement on the previous bloodthirster.

TheLionReturns
13-10-2015, 15:57
Whether I add anything new to my wood elves will depend on whether the new stuff fits with the old stuff both in scale and style. Much as I mourn the death of warhammer and, while playing the odd game, don't find AoS is for me I would not boycott GW products as a result. If GW produce something I like I will buy it, if not I won't. I don't feel tied down to certain sets of rules. There are plenty of games out there that cater for models from different manufacturers or can be easily adapted in order to do so. The quality of the game has little bearing on my purchases. The quality of the models is far more important. Price plays a role too, but that is more a case of how many rather than whether to buy them or not.

Col. Tartleton
13-10-2015, 16:06
I have plenty of unfinished models, but I've decided to base them on rounds and use circle slot movement trays.

It'll be worth it when its done. It's a pain but its a better basing system, the only drawback is it takes up slightly more space.

UndeadKing
13-10-2015, 16:41
Buying bits- almost certainly. I'd like a Gryphound, or that little phoenix-thing. Buying whole models- possibly. Buying a full unit- possible, but unlikely. I have no interest in AoS, or any of the 'new' factions (including the old factions stripped of flavour), but I could be tempted into adding AoS models into a proper Warhammer army. Unfortunately the changing aesthetics don't appeal to me, but a few things barely creep into my 'acceptable' range.

I've been tempted by the Lord with flesh hound (though put off by whatever is happening to his middle), and the new Chaos Warriors would make great Khorne Chosen. I probably would have ordered a few of them, if it wasn't for the insane price costs (I'm kicking myself now, as stuff I wanted has been re-released with a hefty price rise). Unfortunately, due to price, I probably will never get these few models of interest- especially since I need to get square bases to go with them.

10 blood warriors are cheaper than 10 chosen. None of the rereleases have had a price rise either. Assuming you count the dryads and skullcrushers as more expensive they are infact not. You get more models for less than you used too

Folomo
13-10-2015, 17:03
I don't like the aesthetic of either of the new models. One looks a bit bland, the other too over the top IMO. Also, there are a ton of models to be painted yet. Without an interesting game to back the models up, I don't feel too motivated to buy the new models.

Lars Porsenna
13-10-2015, 17:23
I've thought of buying some of the Khorne models from the starter to use in a WoC army. I've found the basic troops (sorry don't know the names) to be used as marauders for as low as a little over $20 on Ebay. For future models, however, it will entirely depend on their utility in either past versions of WHFB or in other wargames.

Damon.

Lissė-Prime
13-10-2015, 17:34
I found I spent 10+ times the last year budget to buy new models since July ...*

*Mostly for some Elven stuff that became cheaper to buy from Ebay and some Stormcasts.

Spiney Norman
13-10-2015, 17:51
I'd rather this didn't fall into a debate about aos on its own, rather can you imagine yourself buying new models?
Obviously nothing has been announced, i've not seen leaks either. However, new models are coming for the rebranded race's. Do you foresee yourself buying in?

I can see many reason too and not to but what are you doing and why?

To be up front i ask because; until recent press release (back peddle)GW ignored its gaming customers stating it is a modeling company and to my opinion, has had aweful business practices towards its player base.

I don't forsee myself buying any new models regardless of aesthetics purely on principal as a scorned player. Though i do know people that will as they are only interested in the models and how they can fit into the rules they do use.

I don't know it completely depends on what they look like, I'm currently painting up a Khorne bloodbound army because I love the models they've done for them, especially the characters, I'm intending to paint up some Khorne daemons to go with them. I might be interested in AoS aelfs when they get around to them, it depends what they look like, I'd also like to see what they do with AoS duardin because I always found warhammer dwarfs to look a bit too cartoony and 'gnomish', a darker, grimmer version of dwarfs would really appeal to me.

Pojko
13-10-2015, 17:55
Quite the opposite. I scour eBay for deals on old GW models to finish the three armies I have. Old 90s and early 2000s models look much better to me. I can't see myself buying many, if any of the current CAD models they throw out.

Captain Idaho
13-10-2015, 17:57
2nd hand for me. GW can suck a lemon. Bridges burnt and all that.

Except Argellen Earth - that stuff is amazing

Choombatta
13-10-2015, 18:10
2 sets of Goreblade warbands from the Stater set and a Slaughterpriest and Exalted Deathbringer.
So I have purchased more this year than the previous 2 years combined.

I did buy my stater set off Amazon, for about $80, and my main opponent and I split the models between the sets we each bought.

Gorthor21
13-10-2015, 18:20
ive enjoyed painting the stormcast eternals, they are kinda bland but its their uniformity and ease of painting that makes it enjoyable. i plan on buying quite a bit more of them and i rather enjoy this new background. i could care less about the rules so i guess that's why im not as bothered by it as others have been. in particular i think the knight-venetor is the best model in the stormcast range they have released so far

Captain Marius
13-10-2015, 19:17
Definitely, i prefer the round bases and the better poses they allow. Im looking forward to seeing which of the old models they release with rounds as there are plenty of oldies id like to pick up.
AoS seems to be about getting multiple small factions of themed models rather than massive blocks of the same damn core troops, so im looking forward to getting what i fancy rather than what i feel i need to be competitive.
Example, i used to have OCD about each of my armies having 25% core if i used them all at once. Now i dont!

samael
13-10-2015, 21:11
Nope, decided to finally start working on my backlog which will keep me busy for years. Anything I still need/want I'll buy from other companies, there's choice enough these days.

Wurfelrolle
13-10-2015, 21:50
Not likely for me as I only buy models that I need to play games with. After Uncharted Empires for KoW ships next month I might look for some old stuff on eBay, but I think my ex-WHFB armies are pretty well stocked. I'll most likely buy minis for my new planned KoW armies from Mantic, which offer more value for my money. Plus I actually enjoy supporting a company that supports it's player base.

muiz_void
13-10-2015, 22:11
As long as they produce eye catching models..especially chaos faction, they will have my money

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

GrandmasterWang
13-10-2015, 22:17
I do not wish to turn this into a pricing thread but facts are facts and the 40/50 % increase here in Australia is a real kick in the ghoulies.

Indeed!

I would have purchased many more $ of minis from GW (AOS and otherwise) has the AUD prices been more sane.... like the excellent Slaughterpriest for example.

I would absolutely potentially but upcoming AOS models if i like them and the price is not too offensive.

Any models i really like by any manufacturer i will potentially purchase and i can always potentially play them in Chillhammer/ 8th once their rules are done/pointed up.

For example I have my eye on the upcoming Hordes Glacial King for Trollbloods even though i don't play Hordes. That thing will make a superb Warhammer miniature.

I am in fact eagerly awaiting the upcoming AOS releases.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Whirlwind
13-10-2015, 22:26
Not many of the models I really like so that is discouraging me from buying them. Apart from the Thundercat model and the Slaughterpriest (which are decent models from my perspective) the rest are too bland and too CADish in that I can see the basic design in in a lot of the models (Stormcasts are particularly bad for this). The overall design has gone way too cartoony for my liking. I didn't mind WFB as they seemed exaggerated mythology style but now they are just too Warcraft/StarCraft. The lack of any painting challenge fro most of the Stormcasts doesn't help either. My fear is that a lot of future models will be like the stormcasts (all based of the same design) as we seeing this more and more now (I suppose it keeps overheads down for GW) unlike say the old metal Brets/DoW which had much more individuality.

Voss
13-10-2015, 22:41
Well, A) what new models? and B) I've taken several looks at the box of painted models from the AoS boxed set casually tossed in the corner of the LGS, and can't really believe how shoddy they are. They're horribly uninspired CAD mediocrity, and look like someone skimped on proper details (and in the case of the khorne models) proper anatomy.

Geep
14-10-2015, 01:01
I don't want to detour too much into pricing, but still want to reply to this- I won't drag it out.

10 blood warriors are cheaper than 10 chosen. None of the rereleases have had a price rise either. Assuming you count the dryads and skullcrushers as more expensive they are infact not. You get more models for less than you used too
There's a good reason I never bought any chosen models- though I do think they're great. I much prefer them over the new Khorne warriors. Still, current 'Chosen' have no marks- they're good for a Chaos Undivided unit. The new Khorne models are much better for being Chosen of Khorne. I hope they do something similar for Tzeentch warriors- that may be enough to get me.
The re-releases have had price rises compared to what I want. I want 3 Skullcrushers, not 6. I sure don't want 6 when I then have to also buy 6 rectangular bases as well! For the Dryads, I already have more than enough, but even if not- the savings from the new bigger box are more than lost through needing to buy square bases!

They're horribly uninspired CAD mediocrity, and look like someone skimped on proper details (and in the case of the khorne models) proper anatomy.
For the most part I agree with this. Of all the new models there's maybe 5 sculpts that I think are decent, a few more are 'passable', and if I ever do buy any I'll definitely be breaking out the greenstuff for them.

Rogue
14-10-2015, 02:35
I have not seen a single model that has been put out for AOS that I have liked. Even when I started collecting GW's models twenty years ago, I would have passed on them. So basically not now and not ever.

ShruikhanTK
14-10-2015, 02:55
Necrolith Colossus?...yes please. Ugggh...the round base though. If the rebranded races can be used in 8th books I'll consider buying them.

lbecks
14-10-2015, 06:07
Not for the prices they're selling them for. But I do like some of the new models and i'm interested in what they'll be releasing in the future.

Wesser
14-10-2015, 07:01
Depends

My current armies are pretty much as complete as armies can be, but if 9th age can keep up the momentum and GW produce some good models that I can put on square bases.. then maybe I'll start a new army

I'm a gamer only and not being interested in AoS at all means that only 9th can push me to new purchases now... pretty ironic rly

Mawduce
14-10-2015, 07:37
for fantasy, there is no point. I can get other lines that look nicer for far less or just as much brand spanking new. for 40k, on and off depending on what I need. Vehicles its hard to find substitutes I like, infantry... hit or miss.

Jind_Singh
14-10-2015, 08:30
Sure - why not?!

I've enjoyed buying a few of the Storm Cast kits to supplement my Starter box (which I was lucky enough to trade away the Chaos for the Storm Cast!), and added:

5 archers
5 Liberators
Lord on foot
Banner bearer
Horn Blower
Lord Castellant and Gryph hound

I'm REALLY tempted to buy my mates starter set off him so I can start Khorne as a lot of the new minis look great - and I've been looking for an excuse to buy Skull Crushers & Valikia since those models were 1st released - along with some Chaos Knights - so if the other factions are as appealing I'd be down.

The nice thing about AoS, for me, is that there is no pressure to collect an army to a certain points value - so my collections are more warband settings, just enough in the collection to get a few fun hours of gaming, but not so much that I run out of cash or time to make them table top ready.

Really scared to see what the new Orcs & goblins will look like as I REALLY like the Old World look

Horace35
14-10-2015, 08:50

Yet both are unreasonably priced in my book.

For me it really depends on a decent model: price ratio. I thought Skarbrand was quite nice and I don't have a thirster, but no way would I drop that much on him. Half it and perhaps we could talk.

The aesthetic would also have to fit my existing models which seems unlikely for most of the new races, but may be possible with some of the chaos stuff

UndeadKing
14-10-2015, 09:32
Yet both are unreasonably priced in my book.

For me it really depends on a decent model: price ratio. I thought Skarbrand was quite nice and I don't have a thirster, but no way would I drop that much on him. Half it and perhaps we could talk.

The aesthetic would also have to fit my existing models which seems unlikely for most of the new races, but may be possible with some of the chaos stuff

I'm not disagreeing with you. Prices are silly just pointing out they could be hell of a lot worse. Skarbrand while cool is ott price wise. If I bought from gw id probably pay £60 for him or the regular one and it would be £54 from a online shop or there abouts but at the price they are just not feasible as cool as they are.

Aesthetic wise chaos will always fit. I also imagine the undead, skaven and the two destruction races wont change either. Dwarfs, humans and aelfs now those could be vastly changed

EagleWarrior
14-10-2015, 11:02
It depends. I don't play AoS, so I would only buy them if they had uses somewhere else. So far, they've been way too expensive, even by GW standards, and not close enough to anything I wanted to make.

However, if they did bring out something I found interesting and was priced comparative to 'proper' warhammer stuff, I'd consider buying them.

Urgat
14-10-2015, 12:29
If they fit the old army books and match my army, sure. Not looking forward to ordering square bases alongside it though.

Same here. We can always write new rules if there's something I want to include in my army.
Just a thing: don't know about you, but I have dozens of square bases lying around, I won't need to buy any anytime soon :)

ToLongDidntRead
14-10-2015, 13:01
If it fits with my oldhammer stuff, or I like the model I might by some stuff for display.

GW would be stupid not to release new slayers and treekin in the near future tbh.

Captain Marius
14-10-2015, 18:43
Im looking forward to the first dwarf and elf releases as i reckon theyll simply repack a lot of the recent releases like witch elves, rangers and ironbreakers. I wouldnt miss the old high elf spearmen and dwarf warriors, but they did repackage the skaven plague monks so who knows what theyre planning? If anything im expecting realm specific factions eg fire dwarfs, shadow elves etc that will be wildly different but still fit alongside the newer uh old stuff!

stroller
14-10-2015, 21:07
If I like the models, and I think I'll get value for my money, sure. If not, no.

jet_palero
15-10-2015, 03:18
GW's newer models are too big. I don't mind one or two centerpieces in an army, but lately GW just makes everything huge and I'm not a fan.

Immortus
15-10-2015, 10:38
Im looking forward to the first dwarf and elf releases as i reckon theyll simply repack a lot of the recent releases like witch elves, rangers and ironbreakers. I wouldnt miss the old high elf spearmen and dwarf warriors, but they did repackage the skaven plague monks so who knows what theyre planning? If anything im expecting realm specific factions eg fire dwarfs, shadow elves etc that will be wildly different but still fit alongside the newer uh old stuff!

I hadden't even considered this! I thought they would simply have all new lines coming out ... Maybe i have given them to much credit

Kahadras
15-10-2015, 11:00
Nope. GW charge far to much for their stuff and I'm not going to shovel money into a game like AoS.

Ponge
15-10-2015, 11:09
Nope, I'm done with GW.

Herzlos
15-10-2015, 12:27
GW would be stupid not to release new slayers and treekin in the near future tbh.

I'm not sure they'll do slayers as we know them - they'd struggle to beat the Avatars Of War ones for detail/versatility/value.

smaxx
15-10-2015, 12:44
GW's newer models are too big. I don't mind one or two centerpieces in an army, but lately GW just makes everything huge and I'm not a fan.
I believe this will be the case for me too. If the new models are for AoS only by looks and size, then I won't buy. I am interested to see what the not-elves and not-dwarfs will look like though. But if the models, and to be honest when the models are not suitable for Kings of War or WHFB, I have no use for them. I've bought some nice GW models like the elven flying chariot just for the looks, and used for some random gaming, but without any use for the miniatures I really don't bother.

peukestas
15-10-2015, 13:33
I bought 7 dark elf boxes from ebay at half their initial price. If such opportunities rise again I will probably buy :):):).
I am also looking forward to wardancer models. Hopefully they will not be out of proportions like the chaos marauders (excellent models but too bulky).

Soundwave
15-10-2015, 14:32
I bought 7 dark elf boxes from ebay at half their initial price. If such opportunities rise again I will probably buy :):):).
I am also looking forward to wardancer models. Hopefully they will not be out of proportions like the chaos marauders (excellent models but too bulky).
Even with cheap stormcast on ebay I couldn't do it. I collect several different armies and just do not have a place for them. Of all the races to create they give us these non fantasy non sci-fi stuck in limbo warrior's.

Gorthor21
15-10-2015, 17:24
Even with cheap stormcast on ebay I couldn't do it. I collect several different armies and just do not have a place for them. Of all the races to create they give us these non fantasy non sci-fi stuck in limbo warrior's.

id say they are very much fantasy in every way. if u disassociate them from space marines then they are far more fantasy than scifi

jet_palero
16-10-2015, 05:12
id say they are very much fantasy in every way. if u disassociate them from space marines then they are far more fantasy than scifi

I haven't seen the kits for Sigmarines, but going by the models I see online I really think they needed more customization. They all look just way too much the same. Space Marines come with so many gubbins you can add. Extra weapons, pockets, scrolls and such, it lets you personalize every marine if you want to. Meanwhile the sigmarines look like they came out of a cloning vat.

They just need more detail work, and options. They should be channeling Tyrael from Diablo 3, with his exaggeratedly ornate armor and weaponry. I mean, especially if they're working for sigmar. But there's no trace of the Empire's style in them (or really any style at all). Its just such a wasted opportunity. All the surfaces look like they came out of CAD.

Voss
16-10-2015, 05:38
Aesthetic wise chaos will always fit.

Profoundly disagree. There are huge differences in different generations of chaos warriors and beastmen alone. Take the original metal line, then the hunched over plastics, and then the nearly monopose plastics of the final batch. The new khorne stuff looks like it wandered right out of Codex: World Eaters rather than bearing much relationship to the chaos marauders that came before it (particularly the horsemen). Even the war altar as the 'transition' piece for old chaos aesthetic and a harbinger of AoS was a sheer :wtf moment when it was released.

Getifa Ubazza
16-10-2015, 05:59
I have always liked Chaos. When I saw the Khorne models in AoS I had to have them. I now have a 90 wound army of them and intend to get 2 more Heroes to take the army to a nice round 100 wounds. I already owned a Slaanesh Daemon army of 108 wounds that I use as a 1000pt 40k army, but will also be used to fight my Khorne AoS army.

If GW release a proper Battletome for Tzeentch and Nurgle, I will get a 100ish wound army for each of those too. I already plan on getting the Glottkin, Morbidex Twiceborn, a box of Putrid Blightkings and 4 boxes of Plaguebearers. I'm hoping that GW release a plastic GUO and will buy that when it comes out. If they don't, I will just get the Forgeworld one instead. I have no idea what I want for Tzeentch yet.

These armies will mostly just sit in a display case, but if I get the chance to use them in a game of AoS or indeed any game that let's me use them, I will be very happy to do so. If I like the models, I will buy them. I don't care about GW's stupidity, although I fully acknowledge it. Once I have 2 armies and the rules needed to use those armies, GW can carry on flushing itself down the drain.

If I'm lucky enough to get all 4 of my chaos armies and their rules before that happens, I will consider that a bonus. As I said, I only need 2 models to complete my Khorne army. Beyond that? I don't care that much.

snyggejygge
16-10-2015, 06:17
I“d buy if the models were nice, fit in my army & had some use in KoW.

Abaraxas
16-10-2015, 10:44
The last miniature I bought from GW that was an actual new sculpt/release was "the chase" (Night Gobbo chasing a squig, larger Squig chasing the Gobbo) back in 09.
With the advent of AOS and an even further leap towards "that" style of miniature I have next to no faith or hope that a new release will do it for me.

Horace35
16-10-2015, 13:12
Profoundly disagree. There are huge differences in different generations of chaos warriors and beastmen alone. Take the original metal line, then the hunched over plastics, and then the nearly monopose plastics of the final batch. The new khorne stuff looks like it wandered right out of Codex: World Eaters rather than bearing much relationship to the chaos marauders that came before it (particularly the horsemen). Even the war altar as the 'transition' piece for old chaos aesthetic and a harbinger of AoS was a sheer :wtf moment when it was released.

This is true, never liked the war altar. Will probably just construct my own if I ever feel the desire to have one

Shardik the Bear
16-10-2015, 16:16
No. I rather suspect not.

tw1386
16-10-2015, 19:54
It really depends on how well the new elves / other races look. If it's anything like the khorne stuff and the sigmarines, then no.

mbh1127
17-10-2015, 02:12
Anything is possible

But I don't see it happening. I'm just worn out by GW's decision making and pricing.

Soundwave
18-10-2015, 14:49
Anything is possible

But I don't see it happening. I'm just worn out by GW's decision making and pricing.
Totally agree and understand. I am feeling burnt out and empty about the whole g.w thing. Some what feeling liberated as well now knowing that there B.S marketing and pricing affect me less than when I cared.

mbh1127
18-10-2015, 15:23
^^^
Hit the nail on the head

I wonder if GW anticipated that outcome. I'm sad to see fantasy die but it feels pretty great not being tied to a company that has abused (for lack of a better word) its customers from time to time.

I'm a miniature history nerd, so I'm going to add to this.

It's actually even worse if you start at the beginning.

1) first slotta base warriors were definitely on the small side and a bit more rough
2) Jews Goodwin warriors and champions (realm of chaos)
3) 90's metal warriors from marauder I think. These were huge compared to the previous dudes.
4) mono posed plastics were mixed in at some point
5) hunchbacks
6) chaos warrior kit

Almost none of it can be mixed.

Grim1
18-10-2015, 15:52
I'd only go for GW if it were worth the price it is sold at and fits my personal taste.
I have bought at above-the-odds out of a loyal duty to them up till now, but no longer.
This AoS stuff so far is so "not me" that I don't think they will ever produce something to persuade me to come back.
Hence I believe that I will not because they currently think that they are better than they really are, and have divorced themselves from their history when they really were the best out there... both in games and miniatures.
Lots of others have overtaken them, and now less people are going to follow them slavishly taking whatever they produce.
They pushed the reboot button, and then didn't deliver anything worth buying....

Grim1
18-10-2015, 15:56
I'd only go for GW if it were worth the price it is sold at and fits my personal taste.
I have bought at above-the-odds out of a loyal duty to them up till now, but no longer.
This AoS stuff so far is so "not me" that I don't think they will ever produce something to persuade me to come back.
Hence I believe that I will not because they currently think that they are better than they really are, and have divorced themselves from their history when they really were the best out there... both in games and miniatures.
Lots of others have overtaken them, and now less people are going to follow them slavishly taking whatever they produce.
They pushed the reboot button, and then didn't deliver anything worth buying....

thesoundofmusica
18-10-2015, 16:42
I will be buying both Stormcast and Bloodbound. Just a small force of Stormcast, they seem really powerful compared to "legacy armies". The Bloodbound I havent decided what I want to do with just yet. I love Korghos and the Slaughterpriest. Skullgrinder looks good, bloodwarriors look great. But I want to incorporate daemons and use these with my planned 40k daemonkin as much as possible.

The Dreadhold is also on my shopping list. Scaled down of course. The whole thing is just ridiculously expensive :P

Rhaivaen
18-10-2015, 18:07
Havent spend anything as yet, and don't intend to,
I got the free Sigmarine for a painting competition, converted it into
an inquisitor, thats all so far,
Hope some form of fantasy continues, but without AoS.

DinDon
18-10-2015, 18:59
If i like the model, Yes. If i dont, i wont. The death of WH wont affect whether i like a mini or not.
So far i bought all the Khorne Models as i like their aesthetics.

ihavetoomuchminis
18-10-2015, 20:23
Probably not. I don't bother with GW anymore due to aos. My interest is in other games and companies.

Spiney Norman
18-10-2015, 20:33
I finally caved in and bought a Malefic gate, the dread hold scenery really is excellent

NagashLover
18-10-2015, 23:43
I might. I bought the Undead Legion releases because I liked them.

It depends on how they plan on handling the rest of the Undead options in the AoS setting.

isthatnew?
19-10-2015, 00:01
I considered it, tried it with old models, bought a starter box which is still untouched and will be returning it to the local GW store to exchange for a HH box in a couple of weeks if rumours are true :shifty:

MagicAngle
19-10-2015, 04:38
The AoS releases are some of the least inspiring GW minis I've ever seen (that and the miserable Tau). Unless they do a 180 on mini design, for me GW will forever more be a company that makes nice washes and nothing else.

So, no, I guess.

Skywave
19-10-2015, 06:49
If they release some models that I can use under 8th edition, maybe I will still buy them (the recent price race being crazy, that might just not happen at all though). I'd take some sexy Tzeentch models for my Chaos if they release some (to use as Warriors and/or Chosen), or some other good Undead stuff (Bone Giant please?).

Right now I only buy a few older kits to finish the armies I want, but I haven't bough anything they released since AoS. I have a backlog big enough to last me for years and there's a lot of alternative out there now too, so I don't really care if GW release more models for me to buy or not.

Urgat
19-10-2015, 07:32
The new khorne stuff looks like it wandered right out of Codex: World Eaters rather than bearing much relationship to the chaos marauders that came before it (particularly the horsemen).

Isn't it obvious? A khorne guy won't look like an unmarked guy. You can also compare the Tzeentch and Nurgle plastic heroes clampacks, they were released at the same time and look nothing alike yet they're the same entry with a different option.
Sorry, but that's quite a "d'huh" statement there.

Khaines Wrath
19-10-2015, 07:47
The AoS releases are some of the least inspiring GW minis I've ever seen (that and the miserable Tau). Unless they do a 180 on mini design, for me GW will forever more be a company that makes nice washes and nothing else.

So, no, I guess.

Slightly OT but have the new Tau mini's been received badly?

MOMUS
19-10-2015, 07:56
The AoS releases are some of the least inspiring GW minis I've ever seen (that and the miserable Tau). Unless they do a 180 on mini design, for me GW will forever more be a company that makes nice washes and nothing else..

What was the last model GW released that you did find inspiring?

CountUlrich
19-10-2015, 12:47
I'm not the person you asked, but I do hate the Sigmarines, and although I am a huge chaos fan with tens of thousands of points of WoC, I hate virtually all of the AoS Khorne sculpts too.

In answer, I liked a few of the ET sculpts, all of the WE ones, the longbeards and ironbreakers, the dark elf releases were great ... that said the AoS releases have been simply awful. I GUESS I can understand why some like the Khornemodels, but they are completely not what I want in my WoC. The Sigmarines are just awful, i don't understand anyone having any affinity for them.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

aprilmanha
19-10-2015, 12:54
I doubt it, AOS is dead here to begin with.

If they change the Aesthetic then it won't match my existing collection, and I'm not looking to begin a new collection on top of my existing ones.

If they don't change the Aesthetic, then what was the point in killing the world and rebranding everything?
Still this is the best chance they have for getting more interest from me since I can get something as just a paint project to add to my existing models.

Knowing GW prices though, it'll be £30 for 10 basic warrior models which is way to expensive as always, and will continue to out price my interest.

Tokamak
19-10-2015, 13:17
AoS is GW's exit strategy. At some point they probably found out that they couldn't sustain such a wide range with so many armies which are so unevenly distributed among the players. 8th edition wasn't a product that you could slowly taper off and it's also not something that you can dial to a low boil in harsher times.

AoS however, a game without complex rules, without the need for robust armies, where you can just play with your entire collection, that's something that people can occasionally buy models for. It gives GW a lot of resilience as they can release miniatures and rules at whatever pace they like. They can grow or shrink the product either way and they get to sell off their old stock.

At least, all of that is the theory of course. They've pivoted on a terrible cost and highly overestimated the goodwill of the players they could withdraw on. Economically the game makes sense but they've turned it into a game that people no longer want to play.

ewar
19-10-2015, 13:24
I'm a miniature history nerd

Don't be so hard on yourself, your stature doesn't have any impact on your hobby.

OT: I have no idea whether I will buy them or not... it's quite a visual medium to judge without knowing what they look like! If they release the best model I have ever seen at a price that doesn't make me sick in my mouth, then I'll consider it.

However the truly abominable sigmarine crap that has come out so far doesn't fill me with confidence. I'll be sticking with 40k and Infinity purchases as my main hobby spend for the foreseeable future.

artisturn
19-10-2015, 23:33
Once stuff starts coming out for Vampire Counts and Orcs and Goblins ,I would be happy to buy new models but so far it has only been Stormcast and Khorne stuff so far.

But I am spending money on old models,My Wife bought me the VC Battalion box for my birthday and I bought Her models for an all female Elf army for her birthday.

MagicAngle
20-10-2015, 00:15

Good question. Of the ET stuff, Nagash was decent, though I am still puzzled about his small head. In terms of real inspiration - a model that made me want get painting and gaming - it would be the Empire General on Griffon. This is, I appreciate, a very marmite choice.

I'm sure there are a ton of folks out there who love all things AoS (and Tau), and that's great too. The latest GW aesthetic just turned me off completely, sadly.

jet_palero
20-10-2015, 00:54
Good question. Of the ET stuff, Nagash was decent, though I am still puzzled about his small head. In terms of real inspiration - a model that made me want get painting and gaming - it would be the Empire General on Griffon. This is, I appreciate, a very marmite choice.

I'm sure there are a ton of folks out there who love all things AoS (and Tau), and that's great too. The latest GW aesthetic just turned me off completely, sadly.

Nagash seems so fragile. How do people transport him without all the spindly bits he's standing on breaking? So many of the recent GW models just look nightmarish to take to game night.

MagicAngle
20-10-2015, 01:36
Yeah - this whole trend for spindly bits is a very aesthetically-pleasing pain in the ass. Between Nagash and the mortis engine, there's always a few lost souls broken off at the bottom of my army bag after a session.

Voss
20-10-2015, 02:13

Ah. Most recently? The Vampire Counts Wight King, 2012. Actually epitomizes the army line with out being silly or bad (which seems to be in the interchangeable descriptors for anything after that)

I found Nagash and the other ET releases ridiculously silly and over the top. The obsession with a 'flying pose' and a tiny ankle attached to the base actively annoyed me, and kept cropping up in fantasy and 40k during that period. The models are rather horrid and all the junk floating around serves no purpose at all. Impractical is ugly.

Which explains my terrain reaction as well. The Garden of Morr was excellent, as you'd expect to find a detached, enclosed, cemetery somewhere near where people actual go (and thus, near where they fight). Rather more ornate than what is around locally, but it is suitably 'fantasy' in exchange. Floating stairs, random archways and so on just dropped in the middle of a battlefield? Dumb.

Geep
20-10-2015, 06:12
Nagash was decent, though I am still puzzled about his small head
I forget where I read it, but this came up in the design notes of a GW sculptor once. Supposedly a small head gives the illusion that the model as a whole is larger, somehow. I think it looks silly, but it's a common thing now- take a look at the Empire Griffon (I haven't seen it in person, but in photos it appears to suffer tiny-head syndrome). I'm currently building some of the newer Dragon Ogres, and they also have small heads- though it's less pronounced than in larger models.

benvoliothefirst
20-10-2015, 18:03
That new Khorne priest is pretty awesome.

I loved Nagash and the Mortarchs... having assembled Mannfred from the Mortarchs kit, I agree that the model is too spindly to transport safely, so I'm probably going to add a brass rod to him somewhere to add some stability. But I don't feel that makes it a "bad" kit, especially since it's certainly not aimed at newbie players in my opinion. Haven't we all had to pin a big metal model at some point?