PDA

View Full Version : "Army book" scenarios. Yay or nay?

SimaoSegunda
16-10-2015, 21:40
I recently bought the Battletome for the Khorne bloodbound, and as you may (or may not) know, it contains three characterful scenarios that are designed to be used with Bloodbound armies against other forces.

Has as anyone else tried these out yet? If anyone has the Stormcast Battletome, I believe it has scenarios in too, how do they play? I've only played one of the scenarios so far, Clash of Heroes, and it's been great fun. It seems to be a really characterful mission, and really encourages you to play as a bloodbound general would. I can't wait to try out the other ones. Do you think this is a good direction for AoS to continue to go?

Dosiere
16-10-2015, 22:20
Man, I played the first handful when the game came out. They are pretty good, but I hope they realize people aren't going to pay $75 for a half dozen scenarios every month. They should either be free, or say $1 a piece on their app.

Also, scenarios only get real play time when everyone has access to them. When they hide them in an army book that only a very small percentage of the player base is going to have its kind of a waste. What they should continue to do is release campaign supplements with twice the content they have now for half the price.

So, to answer your question, I guess yes and no.

SimaoSegunda
16-10-2015, 22:23
I see what you're saying, but I'm meaning specifically scenarios that are aimed at specific armies and show the way those armies tend to wage war. I found it to be a much more characterful way to fight a battle. I like the idea of scenarios in an army book, tbh.

Red Skullz
16-10-2015, 23:59
I have both of the big books not the tomes. I think playing with scenarios AND time of war rules is where it's at. Great fun and a ton of playability just from one book!

Spiney Norman
17-10-2015, 00:13
Man, I played the first handful when the game came out. They are pretty good, but I hope they realize people aren't going to pay $75 for a half dozen scenarios every month. They should either be free, or say $1 a piece on their app.

Also, scenarios only get real play time when everyone has access to them. When they hide them in an army book that only a very small percentage of the player base is going to have its kind of a waste. What they should continue to do is release campaign supplements with twice the content they have now for half the price.

So, to answer your question, I guess yes and no.

I don't see why 'everyone' needs access to the scenarios, surely only one person in any given gaming group really needs a copy of the book, can't you let your opponent look over the battle plan before you start your game?

Choombatta
17-10-2015, 00:19
In my last order from GW, I received a pamphlet scenario designed for 4 players called Convergence of Fate.
I am sure we could play this scenario without each person having to make an order to GW to get the pamphlet.
We just need the one I received to play.

Voss
17-10-2015, 02:27
I don't see why 'everyone' needs access to the scenarios, surely only one person in any given gaming group really needs a copy of the book, can't you let your opponent look over the battle plan before you start your game?

I think the point is more that that behavior doesn't benefit GW. It is the same problem RPG companies have with Game Master only products. If only a small percentage of people need buy the overpriced book, the company has a sales problem for that product.

Dosiere
17-10-2015, 03:15

My point is that if a bunch of people have a book and have the scenarios it's much more likely the scenarios or that setting/army whatever are going to get more play time. If everyone in the group has access to good scenarios more are likely to agree to play them. Of course they only require one person to have them, but the more the merrier. Considering how much they add to the game they should either be free with the rest of the rules or in much more affordable packages.

It's my opinion that GW really screwed up in not realeasing a few good scenarios for people to play through when they dropped the rules and war scrolls. They left all these old WFB players to try to play a series of awkward pitched battles which of course went poorly overall. So in regard to the OP, I do believe scenarios are the future for AoS, but the current way they are releasing them is no Bueno.

Jind_Singh
17-10-2015, 06:56
Yes - I really like the scenarios and don't mind book specific ones

No - it's better for these to be more open access even via E-purchases for a nominal fee. The scenarios is what makes the game a decent game, so to lock them up in expensive books is perhaps not the smartest move!

Spiney Norman
17-10-2015, 08:53
Yes - I really like the scenarios and don't mind book specific ones

No - it's better for these to be more open access even via E-purchases for a nominal fee. The scenarios is what makes the game a decent game, so to lock them up in expensive books is perhaps not the smartest move!

You mean by making them available individually or via the battle packs in the AoS app?

I guess it's a good job they thought of doing that then ;)

Sorry but this just smacks of wanting something for nothing, clearly we've been a bit spoilt by the free rules and Warscrolls they've been putting out.

MOMUS
19-10-2015, 07:47
I hope they bring out a compendium of all the missions, is snap that up.

Spiney Norman
19-10-2015, 08:52
I hope they bring out a compendium of all the missions, is snap that up.

Is that not essentially what the battle packs are? Get the battle plans, battalion war scrolls and time of war rules from a book for a fraction of the cost. I guess it's a somewhat bigger fraction than most people would like (they're usually about 1/3 the price of the print book depending on how much content they contain), but the option is there.

Lissė-Prime
19-10-2015, 11:29

You can purchase "Battle Packs" in WH AOS app for $12.99+ each instead of buying a book.
While I think it's way much overpriced, it's still much cheaper than buying the book.

There are 6 Times of War and 27 Battleplan so far.
I read all of them at my local miniature store.
I didn't buy any book except SE Battletome.
Don't your stores let you use the book while you're in store?

I think most of the battleplans are very fun to play, while a few are quite meh because I can't think a way for a side to win. (Anyone who play Hoth campaign in Star Wars Battlefront will know.)

My favourite Battleplan is A Convergence of Fate. The pamphlet you may get when order AOS items.
This rules is perfect in balance in itself if every player aim to win because if one player lose, the game will end and there is only one winner.