PDA

View Full Version : How are chapters founded?

Gen_eV
07-07-2006, 23:37
How exactly does the process of founding a SM chapter occur?

I mean, Chapters have a homeworld, loads of equipment, vast numbers of vassals, and roughly 1000 members. All of which has to come from somewhere. I'm assuming that workers are drafted from the soon-to-be Home World, and that equipment comes from the nearest Hive World/Forge World.

However, I'm stumped as to what happens with the marines. Is the Chapter Fortress (or equivalent) set up and run to generate loads of marines, or are they created elsewhere and sent across once they have reached critical mass?

Another thing I'm pondering is this - are all the marines new troopers, or could the higher echelons of the new chapter be drawn from veterans of an older one? Say, 20-30 Ultramarines get granted the honour of running a brand-new chapter, with the others being created from the Ultramarines Geneseed in the big central repository?

nurgleman
07-07-2006, 23:50
New chapters are formed from multiple chapters that have lost too many gene seeds themselves to form an effective fighting force, but merge with others to form a new one that is large enough. Sometimes, the space marines canditates are taken from the imperial guard and sometimes from the homeplanet. A new chapter is closely observed. The newer chapters slowly earn the equipment from combat and it is rare for a new chapter to have dreadnaughts or terminator armor. This happens with the imperial guard too sometimes but its for losing too many soldiers and leadership instead.

Brother Othorio
08-07-2006, 17:41
New chapters are formed from multiple chapters that have lost too many gene seeds themselves to form an effective fighting force, but merge with others to form a new one that is large enough.

er, do you have a canon source for that? everything i've ever read has said new chapters are created from scratch by the admech.

general fan theory is that the newly created marines are trained by a cadre drawn from an existing chapter which may or may not form the chapters officer corps, but theres no evidence for or against this

as for the question of where they are founded, during the cursed founding multiple chapters were created in the same facility, then dispatched to their new homeworld ~ tho theres no evidence to say whether this is standard practice used in other foundings (tho likewise theres no evidence to say it isnt either)

nurgleman
08-07-2006, 20:12
I got that from one of the Armegeddon space marine series books.

t-tauri
08-07-2006, 20:22
New chapters are formed from multiple chapters that have lost too many gene seeds themselves to form an effective fighting force, but merge with others to form a new one that is large enough.
I think you have IG regiments with too many casualties in mind.

New SM chapters since the split after the Heresy seem to have been founded from the Gene seed tithe sent to the Adeptus Mechanicus. I suppose if a chapter like the Ultras gets a huge surplus of mature geneseed in their own apothecarion then there could be a direct founding of a new Ultras successor chapter, but I've no evidence for that.

Rabid Bunny 666
08-07-2006, 21:02
The AdMech also experiment with mixing Gene Seed to mould the chapters, but this is highly unusual, and has met with catastrophic effects.

Overlord Krycis
08-07-2006, 22:45
I mean, Chapters have a homeworld...

Er...I think you got that a bit wrong. Not all Space Marine Chapters have a Homeworld.
The Black Templars are a pure crusading chapter, the Fleshtearers were a crusading chapter and almost all Chapters are created as crusading chapters IIRC.

Inq. Veltane
08-07-2006, 22:50
Er...I think you got that a bit wrong. Not all Space Marine Chapters have a Homeworld.
The Black Templars are a pure crusading chapter, the Fleshtearers were a crusading chapter and almost all Chapters are created as crusading chapters IIRC.

I thought the reverse was true, that it was Crusading Chapters that were unusual and that having a homeworld from which to draw recruits was 'normal'. More first and second founding chapters have homeworlds than don't.

Inquisitor S.
08-07-2006, 22:52
and almost all Chapters are created as crusading chapters IIRC.
Well, then give us a source for that.

Rabid Bunny 666
08-07-2006, 23:05
New chapters aren't given a homeworld, they search for the hardiest worlds to inhabit, so they get toughened warriors adapted to combat and hardship.

Inquisitor S.
08-07-2006, 23:10
There is precious few fluff on new foundings, so where do these relatively absolute statements come from?

Rabid Bunny 666
08-07-2006, 23:26
Flesh Tearers IA
Red Corsairs/Traitor Marines IA

Binabik15
08-07-2006, 23:27
Erm, there was an excellent article in WD some years ago. I bet it was in every WD, not only the German one.

It deals with the creation of a Space Marine and AFAIK it also explains how new chapters are founded. I could be wrong, but I will look it up tommorrow.

Every chapter has to send a percentage of their geneseed to Mars where it is controlled and stored.

When the High Senat of Terra orders the founding of a new chapter a gigantic task begins. Forgeworlds produce tanks, speeders, weapons (for infantry and defensive weaponary). A fleet is build. A homeworld is chosen and a chapter monestary build.

And the adepts of Mars take lowly servants and workers and start their gruesome work. The poor souls get the zygotes (is this the right term or is it Germany only?I´m talking about the organs with the genetic informations inside) implanted. They spend the rest of their life in glass tubes, fed via injections, barely alive I bet and certainly not consicious. Then the two zygotes they produce are extracted and implanted in other "subjects" until there are the needed one thousand.

Then recruits from the homeworld get them implanted and are trained. Of course becoming a full SM battle brother is a bit faster (and easier!) during this time.

Like Brother Othorio said ther will most likely veterans of another chapter- normally from the first founding chapter the geneseed was taken from or one of their successor chapters that have the same genetic traits as our new shiny chapter.

The commander is a Marine chosen amongst those veterans and leads the chapter into training and later battle.

Well, don´t quote me on the veteran thing, I donßt know whether it is from the article or not.

Oh, and I´ll scan some charts at what time which organ can be transplanted. The carapax is one of the last at the age of 16-18! So no "chapter made from guard veterans"...but we know how consequent (and reliable) GW is with it fluff, err, background.

Sorry for the bad spelling, but it´s late (O rLY?!!1!11!!?) and I´ve just been to a "Heavy Metal Night" at gym...so good...

schoon
09-07-2006, 20:28
The short answer is that Foundings are directed by the High Lords of Terra, generated by the tithed geneseed kept by the Adeptus Mechanicus, and then trained by a cadre of Space Marines from (one would guess) the primogenitor Chapter.

GW has really said very little on the topic, and most of what's out there is fan supposition.