PDA

View Full Version : Just arrived in the UK, is fantasy alive here?

Lance Tankmen
17-10-2015, 23:01
Hello gents,

i just arrived in beautiful GB and am currently at an RAFB for the next two years and saw some warhammer models, in left my chaos army back in the states and figured id start a dwarf army but wanted to know if there was any life here for it. Also AoS is hell spawn and should be damned, so dont say its played here or just as good etc.

Vulgarsty
17-10-2015, 23:27
Well its alive and well in Hitchin, but we are also looking at 9th age, KoW and a mordheim campaign. I think the picture is mixed in the uk as a whole though although it is pretty obvious there are fewer people playing AoS and fantasy than there were just playing fantasy before GW decided to make the equivalent business decision to crapping in their own bath (fantasy wasnt so totally in 40ks shadow in britain so that is quite a lot of people who have ragequit)

As an iconic, grimmer british export i should love gw - and did. Now i just want them to go bankrupt and hope some at least semi intelligent venture capitalists can pick over the wreckage to salvage something.

2DSick
17-10-2015, 23:34
Hello gents,

i just arrived in beautiful GB and am currently at an RAFB for the next two years and saw some warhammer models, in left my chaos army back in the states and figured id start a dwarf army but wanted to know if there was any life here for it. Also AoS is hell spawn and should be damned, so dont say its played here or just as good etc.

so... Wittering, Marham, Odiham, Waddington or........ Benson?...

MOMUS
18-10-2015, 11:25
Hello gents,

The UK has one of the most active independent tournaments scenes in Europe.Throughout the tourney scene a mix of games are played, probably because one of the defining qualities of the UK is it's tolerant and accepting people, we don't mind if someone wants to work here and they're from the EU or somewhere further afield else like.. the US.
Hopefully a little bit of that mentality will rub off on you.

Toodle pip.

Kyriakin
18-10-2015, 12:00
The UK has one of the most active independent tournaments scenes in Europe.Throughout the tourney scene a mix of games are played, probably because one of the defining qualities of the UK is it's tolerant and accepting people, we don't mind if someone wants to work here and they're from the EU or somewhere further afield else like.. the US.

Toodle pip.
I'm confused. You don't seem very tolerant or accepting of his opinion on a game you happen to like, or does it only apply when in full agreement with you?

2DSick
18-10-2015, 12:29

Toodle pip.

...er... really? Quite sure 'hellspawn' is tongue in sheek for, "I don't like it"

Luckily most normal Brits are tolerant.

Oh well, I'm serving forces too mate. The RAF are very supportive of tabletop wargames. Whilst working at RAF Cottesmore, our CO granted 2 days booksheet leave to go play an interservices tournament at Warhammer World Nots'

Holier Than Thou
18-10-2015, 12:49

Toodle pip.

And once again, somebody says something bad about AOS so one of it's defenders says something bad about the person.

To the OP, if I were you I'd ask around and make sure enough people are playing in your local area before you make a sizeable investment in a new army. Oh, and eBay is your friend.

Lance Tankmen
18-10-2015, 14:09

Toodle pip. you completely lost me, never once was i intolerant of people, i just don't want to have 1-2 people comment about "oh well at this place AoS is pretty big you should get into it". i also hate that it killed fantasy, and gave me something i view as worse and less than fantasy. again no where did i attack a group of people, only a game. So either you have a quick kill switch or you misunderstood me, Bit of both id assume.

Lance Tankmen
18-10-2015, 14:09
so... Wittering, Marham, Odiham, Waddington or........ Benson?...

also im at Lakenheath

Spiney Norman
18-10-2015, 14:18
I'm confused. You don't seem very tolerant or accepting of his opinion on a game you happen to like, or does it only apply when in full agreement with you?

I'm not sure calling someone out for not tolerating intolerance really makes much sense (kind of like telling a civil rights activist they can't be critical of the KKK), the OP is welcome to not play AoS if that is his desire, but unnecessarily slagging it off with cries of hell spawn and damnation is completely unnecessary. I'm pretty sure that if I started posting that Warmahordes was the faeces of dogs just because I don't like the game I'd be immediately mobbed by a pack of PP fanboys, but somehow that kind of hilarious mockery is considered acceptable when it is targeted at AoS?

Plenty of people still play wfb in my neck of the woods, more than play AoS in fact (and plenty of people, like me, play both), but Lakenheath is a long way from me, maybe try and find some gaming clubs in the area and ask some questions on their Fb pages. I think Cambridge is fairly close by, I imagine they'd probably have some clubs you could plug into there.

EDIT: with Google assistance, this might we worth exploring -> http://www.sonsofwar.org.uk

Note: I know nothing about this club and don't live anywhere near Cambridge but it looks pretty legit

Francis
18-10-2015, 14:40
Both AoS and warmahorde are horrible games that should never be played, can everybody pls go back to fantasy and KoW now?

2DSick
18-10-2015, 15:04
Yeah... you'll notice that Lance.

Those that love it tend to jump down your throat when you say it's crap... then pull out 3 pages of excusses as to why they were right to do so...

Lakenheath! You must be with 48th Fighter Wing then? Pity, 71Squadron deal with the fixed win repair over there... thgough they did lose their DAOS cert' so you never know. If I get tasked over your way, I'll be in touch.

Kyriakin
18-10-2015, 15:10
Hello gents,

My advice to you would be to watch out for Josh Hartnett sniffing around your special lady back home.

Lance Tankmen
18-10-2015, 16:28
I'm not sure calling someone out for not tolerating intolerance really makes much sense (kind of like telling a civil rights activist they can't be critical of the KKK), the OP is welcome to not play AoS if that is his desire, but unnecessarily slagging it off with cries of hell spawn and damnation is completely unnecessary. I'm pretty sure that if I started posting that Warmahordes was the faeces of dogs just because I don't like the game I'd be immediately mobbed by a pack of PP fanboys, but somehow that kind of hilarious mockery is considered acceptable when it is targeted at AoS?

EDIT: with Google assistance, this might we worth exploring -> http://www.sonsofwar.org.uk
Note: I know nothing about this club and don't live anywhere near Cambridge but it looks pretty legit no they said they tolerate people from other countries, the way they worded it they made it seem like i didn't tolerate germans or people from other countries. i dont tolerate AoS because it killed Fantasy, no new books no new models for fantasy anymore, so i have a base for the dislike. If they didn't stop fantasy i probably wouldn't care one way or the other but any way you cut it AoS ended fantasy.