PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to GW models

Sir Arkalots
18-10-2015, 16:10
Now, this isn't to say I don't like GW models. 95 percent of the time I really do, hence why I'm in this hobby. It just I've always loved the idea behind the mechanicus and was super excited when GW announced they were making armies for them. Skitarii were ok, and i got them because they didn't look that bad, but when the cult mechanicus came out I got disillusioned. They looked soooooo stupid to me that I lost nearly all interest in the army thanks to those models. I even sold my skitarii to a friend for most of his nid models. Then yesterday i was browsing around the internet and discovered this page.

http://z4miniatures.blogspot.com/2010/04/online-shop-28mm-sci-fi.html

In particular, the Type-32(G) 'Pendekar' Battlesuit. They look awesome! And they look like something we would make in the near future, so it fits in with the "super old style tech" that the Kastellans are supposed to be. So I want everyones opinion here. 1) would these work as Kastellans, both in size and practice. 2) is this site a trustworthy seller? cause It does look a little sketchy to me. and 3) does anyone have an idea as to where or what I can find to use as replacements for those ***** kataphrons.

Thanks ahead of time!

Inquisitor Kallus
18-10-2015, 17:21
They look awful, not really in the style of the AM at all. They seem slightly closer to Tau

blackcherry
20-10-2015, 11:00
Now, this isn't to say I don't like GW models. 95 percent of the time I really do, hence why I'm in this hobby. It just I've always loved the idea behind the mechanicus and was super excited when GW announced they were making armies for them. Skitarii were ok, and i got them because they didn't look that bad, but when the cult mechanicus came out I got disillusioned. They looked soooooo stupid to me that I lost nearly all interest in the army thanks to those models. I even sold my skitarii to a friend for most of his nid models. Then yesterday i was browsing around the internet and discovered this page.

http://z4miniatures.blogspot.com/2010/04/online-shop-28mm-sci-fi.html

In particular, the Type-32(G) 'Pendekar' Battlesuit. They look awesome! And they look like something we would make in the near future, so it fits in with the "super old style tech" that the Kastellans are supposed to be. So I want everyones opinion here. 1) would these work as Kastellans, both in size and practice. 2) is this site a trustworthy seller? cause It does look a little sketchy to me. and 3) does anyone have an idea as to where or what I can find to use as replacements for those ***** kataphrons.

Thanks ahead of time!

They do look more in the style of Tau than anything the Imperium would produce. Of course, its your army at the end of the day, but no I don't think they would work as Kastellans either. Even the most advanced Imperial stuff has a blockyness to it that tech the Tau produce don't have.

stroller
20-10-2015, 18:01
You did ask ..... yegods they're ugly. One headless, another with a monstrous codpiece, and the last a bit space marine-like for my taste. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

OK, I agree, the Kastellans ain't pretty (Robbie the Robot comes to mind), and beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I guess your awesome is different to mine.

If YOU like them - go for it. 55mm tall seems fair in terms of bulk and model replacement. They would "work" in that sense, but I'd never buy them.

As an aside, the female titan appears to be a "Frozen" character (?!?)

Reliability ? UK seller so perhaps some comeback under distance selling - and he takes PayPal, so some protection there too. Beasts of War seemed to like them when they came out 4 years ago, so I guess that shows stickability.

As for Kataphrons, I LIKE the GW version - though might be also tempted to field them as ground based Necron destroyers. Hope the reliability answer is more helpful than the "Would they work?" question.

Dryaktylus
20-10-2015, 22:29
3) does anyone have an idea as to where or what I can find to use as replacements for those ***** kataphrons.

Thanks ahead of time!

Maybe these (http://hitechminiatures.com/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=Annihilator+Ceta+Horder&submit_search=) (you can find them in other shops too) - they look a bit more "Sci-Fi".

If you don't like the Dominus I guess you'll find some bulkier alternatives in the Bio-Tech Covenant range (http://hitechminiatures.com/8-bio-tech-covenant#).

I'm not a fan of the Electro priests, but replacing their heads with those from the Vanguards improves them a lot in my eyes (you need to cut a bit to make them fit). I used the collar from the Fulgurites as a crest on the helmet (like that from the Vanguard Alpha) - now they look like a mix of... um... temple guard and gladiators. That's for the Fulgurites - with the Corpuscarii I think I'll do some conversion with Arco-Flagellants (slightly more ambitious...).

Sir Arkalots
20-10-2015, 22:35
I kinda like those "kataphrons" drya, but they are still only meh. Maybe I just don't like that kind of design entirely for the models lol.

And how tall are the kastellans? I'm finding a lok of options around but their height varies and I'm not sure how big the kastellans are to compare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk