PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven forge display table/mordheim table. (help me!!!)

idkiduk
19-10-2015, 14:33
Hi Folks!
So, I've already posted in the welcome page, as I'm new to this place, but I think this topic would be much better here, so I'm just gonna copy and paste it over. I don't know if that's against the rules? If so, I'll try to very it up a bit.

Hello Warseer!
Long time creeper, first time poster.
The reason I'm coming to you today is that I have decided to undertake a project of which i presently don't have the skills, and I hope to pick up from this fantastic group!
I will be building a Dwarven forge display box that doubles as a mordheim, or other skirmish game board. I don't have much space in my flat, so I will be uilding up instead of sideways.
This is what I'm starting with:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=221482&d=1445257962&thumb=1 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=221482&d=1445257962)

It's 76cm high and wide, and 40 deep.
My idea for the board is to keep it pretty open in the middle, with buildings going up the sides, and a couple bridges crossing the wall at the back. I will build these buildings with just three walls so from the front it all looks like part of the city, but you can get into them from the sides for playing.
Maybe a large crane going up the middle. All a little steam punkish.

Anyhow, question number one is, what is a good material to coat my walls in to make it look like a slate concrete walls? I was thinking Papier-Mache, but it might fall apart too easily? Or plaster, but I'm afraid of it cracking off and making a mess. The other idea was polyfiller, could I just spread that onto it?

Any other suggestions from people are much appreciated! I have never tried anything like this before....

Cheers!
Iain

SuperHappyTime
19-10-2015, 20:45
Hi Folks!
So, I've already posted in the welcome page, as I'm new to this place, but I think this topic would be much better here, so I'm just gonna copy and paste it over. I don't know if that's against the rules? If so, I'll try to very it up a bit.

Hello Warseer!
Long time creeper, first time poster.
The reason I'm coming to you today is that I have decided to undertake a project of which i presently don't have the skills, and I hope to pick up from this fantastic group!
I will be building a Dwarven forge display box that doubles as a mordheim, or other skirmish game board. I don't have much space in my flat, so I will be uilding up instead of sideways.
This is what I'm starting with:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=221482&d=1445257962&thumb=1 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=221482&d=1445257962)

It's 76cm high and wide, and 40 deep.
My idea for the board is to keep it pretty open in the middle, with buildings going up the sides, and a couple bridges crossing the wall at the back. I will build these buildings with just three walls so from the front it all looks like part of the city, but you can get into them from the sides for playing.
Maybe a large crane going up the middle. All a little steam punkish.

Anyhow, question number one is, what is a good material to coat my walls in to make it look like a slate concrete walls? I was thinking Papier-Mache, but it might fall apart too easily? Or plaster, but I'm afraid of it cracking off and making a mess. The other idea was polyfiller, could I just spread that onto it?

Any other suggestions from people are much appreciated! I have never tried anything like this before....

Cheers!
Iain

Hi Iain!

Your link doesn't appear to work, so I can't see anything, and this may belong better in the Fantasy Project Log Section.

On that, is this intended to be a single piece or entire game board? Only asking because 76cm by 40 is only 2.5x1.33ft and that's pretty small (unless the board is 76 inches by 40, in which case it's perfectly sized)

As for concrete walls, drywall plaster or "spackle". The Modeling board can definitely help you out there.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

idkiduk
22-10-2015, 12:12
Hmm.. interesting. I was looking for a page like like that, but couldn't find it. I'll go search again.
Nope, it is CM, I know it's small but I'm pretty limited on space, that's why I'm trying to build up instead of sideways. It'll have at least 3 levels to start, and once I've finished the dwarven forge part, probably another one and a half.
Hmm.. the link works for me. I just imported the picture using the warseer thing, but anyway, here's what the board looks like now:

Cheers for the advice. I'm looking for spackle, but can't find it in Czech stores (probably due to language barriers) so I was thinking about using Plaster-machet to shape, covering with plaser, and then sanding it down... not sure if it'll chip though.

idkiduk
22-10-2015, 12:32
Alrighty :-) I have continued this over here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?414453-Dwarf-forge-display-mordheim-board&p=7554885#post7554885
If there is a way to close this, it may as well be closed.
Cheers for the heads up!
Iain