PDA

View Full Version : What to ally with SW... Dark Angels?

sturguard
21-10-2015, 21:13
Hey folks,

I need to add some units into my existing SW army. I have a very large SW force, but just one unit of thunderwolves and I dont feel like getting more. I play against a primarily Daemonkin player and we have found our games to be extremely lopsided. If I play my eldar army and get a few good rolls, I can take care of his bloodthirsters without too much problem, however my SWs just dont fare well against him. SW dont have enough concentrated firepower and with a bit of luck his one thirster can dispatch my unit of thunderwolves and with the other, roll right through my army. I really don't want to discuss my tactics in this thread, I have played SWs for the past 20 years, I feel pretty confident that I know what I am doing. I also dont want to discuss terrain- we use alot and really it just helps him get into combat with fewer casualties but we use what we have. I want him to use the list he wants, which is a very tough list as he has converted his models very well and is painting the models up. So- I have a few options.

I could count my GHs as generic SMs and add some centurions and add some grav to my army, maybe add a storm talon.

I could add a SM ally force and paint it up as a different faction- this I really dont want to do as I am going to eventually do a legion army and can ally that later (I am waiting to see if they do 1k sons soon)

1 could add in some Dark Angels- why- because they are cheap as chips on ebay- at least the bikes and termies from the sets. I dont know the DA codex well, so are there cheap units I could add to make my army more mobile and shoot alot more?

I am pretty ignorant of the DA book so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Harwammer
21-10-2015, 21:24
The best part of allying Dark Angels and Space Wolves is if you use CADs you can have the leader of each faction battle it out in a ritualised honour duel before the game starts to decide who gets to be warlord :D.

sturguard
21-10-2015, 21:42
Is that actually in the rules?

Wolf Lord Balrog
21-10-2015, 21:50
Just for fun I sometimes add a couple units of Stormtroopers in Vendettas with a Commissar as allies. Perhaps not the most super-effective choice, but the only one I've found so far that I like.

sturguard
21-10-2015, 21:59
Wolf Lord,
As much as I like the BL HH novels (and others) and realize how easy it would be to add in some SW auxiliaries, I just dont like any of the models at all. You know anything about Dark Angels?
Thanks

Mr.Sparkle
21-10-2015, 23:12
SW.. and Dark Angels?? I know its only a game and fluff shouldnt really matter, but SW... and Dark Angels??

sturguard
22-10-2015, 00:32
Mr. Sparkle- why not? I mean there is actually plenty of fluff that Space Wolves and Dark Angels have worked together many times as they have the ritual of dueling before working together. Do they like each other, of course not, but is Eldar and Tau fluffy in any way? How about SM and Tau? Or Chaos and Orks - not much literature in the BL novels of these groups working together. Necrons and Orks? My point is even though SW and Dark Angels aren't best pals, they have worked together on several documented occasions. Many of the other lists that people build are something straight from their imagination that holds little actual fluff value at all.

AngryAngel
22-10-2015, 08:34
SW and DA aren't buddy buddy, but they are still both space marines. They will work together and respect each others skills.

Karhedron
22-10-2015, 09:58
Chaos is not particularly strong on the air-power front. Adding a SM Stormwing formation would give you a lot of mobile firepower that your opponent will struggle to bring down. Remember that the Stormwing is a Formation so you can field it on its own without having to bring an allied detachment.

He could try flying his Blood Thirsters at them and Vector striking but he is still only getting D3 hits rather than his full weight of attacks and he is not pinning anything in CC if he does that. More crucially, Vector Strikes must be made at the base strength of the model! So if he tries to assault them in the air, he cannot use that lovely Axe of Khorne and is reduced to attacking at S6. This means it will only Pen the Stormtalons on a 6 and cannot pen the Stormraven at all.

If your opponent lets the Stormwing go unchallenged, you can rain death from above on him (at +1BS). If he flies the Blood Thirsters up to engage them, he is still not guaranteed a quick kill and your ground forces can lay some more serious smack-down into their foes.

Inquisitor Kallus
22-10-2015, 10:58
Guard and Wolves, because SWs appreciate humans and have worked with them a fair bit. It looks cool on the battlefield and gusrd has some cool and fairy cheap shooty units

sturguard
22-10-2015, 21:05
Kallus- such as?

Inquisitor Kallus
22-10-2015, 22:50
Depends what you want really. A platoon of guard will give you some really cheap expendable firepower for dealing with the masses with lots of S3 lasgun shots. some tanks to add some heavier firepower and so on. Depends what you guys usually take, id suggest having a shifty through the guard dex

AngryAngel
23-10-2015, 07:26
Kallus- such as?

It is true, and this wasn't asked to me but I'll comment as well as I play guard a good amount. It is true a guard platoon can offer alot of expendable bodies that wolves lack. If alot of semi durable fire power is what you crave, I will say why not try some punisher tanks ? A squadron of them will put a hurt in most peoples locker, they should really hose down a blood thirster on the ground. Maybe pask with a punisher wing man or two ? Or maybe Pask in a punisher with a demolisher or standard battle tank for split fire options, even executioners aren't half bad for such.

However that is a fluff choice, and less an exciting choice. Your choosing to amass many bodies and pack some heavy tanks for close range shooting goodness.

sturguard
23-10-2015, 23:56
Honestly, I am not really a fan of many of the IG models. Big infantry blob isnt inspiring to me at all, I always wanted a LR Exterminator in my army (since SW used to be able to take them) but just dont see how it would help my army much. I am a fan of the HH novels and bringing that into my lists- on several occasions the SW fought with Sisters of Battle, I cant remember which novel but one of the Sister leaders ended up getting housed in an engine of pain for her transgressions. So would sisters give me any sort of mobile firepower? Are the engines of pain any good?

Malakai
24-10-2015, 00:23
Honestly DA & SW, just wrong. In the last edition they were allies of convenience and not battle brothers.

Harwammer
24-10-2015, 06:21
Honestly DA & SW, just wrong. In the last edition they were allies of convenience and not battle brothers.
Which was 1) obviously something that needed to be corrected, hence the correction and 2) still evidence that they are capable of allying with each other instead of either fighting or one side packing up and leaving.

How could a ritualised honour duel develop if they refuse to work together?