PDA

View Full Version : House ruling Elves

Vulgarsty
21-10-2015, 23:12
Elves are somewhat OP in 8th, Would the following House Rules sort them out?

1) ASF requires greater Initiative to trigger re-rolls to hit
2) Models in an Elven Hosts army benefit from none of the Prowess rules rather than all of them
3) woodies are a bit hard done by with their prowess, I suggest giving them "Marksman's Prowess" (re-roll to shoot rolls of 1) as well as or instead of their conditional Prowess-es (any opinions on whether aswell or instead?)
4) Only the BSB may carry the BotWD
5) The ward provided by the BOTWD is capped at 4++
6) The Book of Hoeth may be used once in each players magic phase (ie both to dispel and cast each game turn)

theunwantedbeing
21-10-2015, 23:28
1. Yup, this was how it should have been to start with
2. That or just their own specific one
3. You could alter the conditional requirement to merely needing to be within 6" of a wooded feature, it largely depends on the number of those available.
The other option is as you say, having the Marksmans Prowess thing along with firing in an additional rank than normal would work, albeit being no benefit to the combat stuff.
4. That works I guess, the real issue is it's effect.
5. The obvious solution is merely that it provides a 2+ ward vs damage from magical spells and ranged weaponry, and does nothing whatsoever against close combat attacks.
Docking it to a 4+ feels too much like a band aid rather than a proper solution to the problem of the banner.
6. That works.

Vulgarsty
21-10-2015, 23:35
Thanks, would you still buy the book of hoeth? I think its still worth the current points even if you only get to use it 12 times a game

theunwantedbeing
21-10-2015, 23:43
Thanks, would you still buy the book of hoeth? I think its still worth the current points even if you only get to use it 12 times a game

After a bit of thought you could probably drop it by 5pts, just so a hero can carry it.

Spiney Norman
22-10-2015, 08:08
Personally I think warhammer as a game would be much better if ward saves in general were capped at 4+.

Regarding the BotWD you could double its current points cost and people would still take it on their BSB because the affect it generates is so absurdly powerful. I would prefer the option to keep it at its current points cost but change its effect to only works vs spell damage.

Katastrophe
22-10-2015, 15:38
Personally I think warhammer as a game would be much better if ward saves in general were capped at 4+.

Regarding the BotWD you could double its current points cost and people would still take it on their BSB because the affect it generates is so absurdly powerful. I would prefer the option to keep it at its current points cost but change its effect to only works vs spell damage.

I've never been bothered by low ward saves, but my thought on saves in general is that you only the get best one available. That you don't get multiple ones (except in the case of re-rolls). I think that would make the flow of the game better and low ward saves would not be much of an issue since you would not get your regular save as well as your ward save. That'd also fix units with 2+/4+ from being basically unkillable.

Aranel
24-10-2015, 10:52
Elves are somewhat OP in 8th, Would the following House Rules sort them out?

1) ASF requires greater Initiative to trigger re-rolls to hit
2) Models in an Elven Hosts army benefit from none of the Prowess rules rather than all of them
3) woodies are a bit hard done by with their prowess, I suggest giving them "Marksman's Prowess" (re-roll to shoot rolls of 1) as well as or instead of their conditional Prowess-es (any opinions on whether aswell or instead?)
4) Only the BSB may carry the BotWD
5) The ward provided by the BOTWD is capped at 4++
6) The Book of Hoeth may be used once in each players magic phase (ie both to dispel and cast each game turn)

1) see the ethos behind it. I would tweak the ASF rule in general as opposed to Elves though
2) Eternity King is wrong. I'd use the given roster without the special rules
3) WE don't need a boost, they're fantastic as they are!
4) potentially, see asterisk
5) if you want to cap the ward save at 4+ I would suggest keeping it as a unit banner upgrade
6) asterisk!

*the answers to 4-6 depend on what you are house ruling for other armies. Curtailing some of the excesses for 8th edition will only work if it is done fairly across the army range. Nurgle Daemon Princes, VP blender lords etc

TheSil
27-10-2015, 12:28
Just to clarify...
In the "new" book, Elfs with two handed weapons can no longer re-roll to hit due to AsF, right? Because I remember they could do so in the previous book, which was more badass than the extra rank of attacks.
Now, Swordmasters and White Lions depend a lot more on their hit rolls, while all other units get a boost, which makes them less attractive by comparison.

sigmarus
27-10-2015, 14:22
It depends on your playstyle. I played competitively (until AoS when the game died). I can tell you that a good daemon player can still wreck a high elf army with banner of the world dragon. If you play in a comped environment, then these house rules are not needed. If you are playing uncomped, the only one I can see makes sense is rule 1 where you need to beat the initiative to get the rerolls. And if you are playing an Eternity King list, well then you are just a dick.