PDA

View Full Version : An opinion is requested

jselvy
22-10-2015, 06:21
Now that I have far too much time on my hands, I am considering returning to the Imperial fold. I haven't played in two editions and even went so far as to sell my 7000+ point Imperial Guard collection. I truly love the Guard. The plucky lasgunner taking on the horrors of the universe with nothing but an underpowered rifle and a bayonet with some guts behind it speaks to me. It never has been the most tournament competitive army but very fluffy. Imagine my consternation when I found my way to the GW website and found that the IG were no more, and replaced with the pseudo latinate Astra Militarum. I began to doubt the wisdom of my return.
The opinion I ask of you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, is "is the IG still worth playing?" Please be courteous with your replies.

Angelwing
22-10-2015, 09:37
Yes!
I suspect they are due a new book within 6 months (my opinion, not substantial rumour) so I'd hold off buying the current book.

Denny
22-10-2015, 09:51
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
. . . Unless you call them stench-blossoms.

I wouldn't be put off playing an army because of a name change. To me and many other players they will always be known as the weak lapdogs of the false emperor anyway . . . ;)

Ironbone
22-10-2015, 11:27
The opinion I ask of you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, is "is the IG still worth playing?"
If only you like way that IG plays and feels, then I wholehearty say, "Yes it is". And that tl;dr wersion :p.

So explaing a bit more :

Powerwise, guard is now (as like it was for much of it's history ) kind of "lower Meh". Overall bit underpowered, but also not awfuly terrible by any mean. It's basicly in core the very same guard players love (and somtimes love to hate ;) ), with all traits that makes Imperial Guard the Imperial Guard ( tons of infantry and tanks that pour a lot of dakka ),...sadly with all issues that haunt guard since the dawn of time ( eveything kills us by dozens, lasguns suck, Ogryns suck, agrubably more than ever :shifty: ). We get some shiny new stuff (like awesome wywern, and not so awesome Bullgryns ), but also lose some shinly old stuff ( like half of the 5ed codex special characters ).

I haven't played in two editions
Well, suprise, supirse, a LOT of things changed. And don't be fooled by one thing - this may be "the shooting edition" but close combat is still, more often than not, a death sentence to guardsmen.

duz_
22-10-2015, 11:51
I love playing my guard

Yes there are plenty other more efficient and powerful armies but if you love ground on the feet and tanks you can't go past them.

I'm taking mine to the next tournament I'm going to in lieu of my grey knights

Cheeslord
22-10-2015, 12:01
I think the name change was just to make it a protectable, trademarkable name, which GW is very keen to do with all its lines these days. Still the same army... You can probably annoy games workshop employees by refusing to call it anything other than "Imperial Guard"

Mark.

Incarno63
22-10-2015, 14:29
A tactic I've used effectively as Guard, and one I still think is very good, is the Line-O-Lascannons.

Normally the weaknesses of Lascannons as heavy weapons are their low shot count, and lack of bulk availability in most armies (Space Marines can only fit a bunch of them in their heavy support slot). But, in a Guard army they can be taken on mass for a much lower tax then in Marines. A typical 1850pts list should ideally feature between 10 and 15 Lascannons, both inside combined squads and in a smattering of Heavy Weapon Teams. Use an Aegis Line and your horde of Guardsmen (say about 3x20 plus commands and HWTs) to guard against alpha strike such as Drop Pods. Back this up with some solid Heavy Tanks in your HS slot (read a Plasma Russ, Manticore, and Wyverns/Basilisks) and a great orders network (Creed is good for this) and you have a lot of army synergy.

Okuto
22-10-2015, 17:52
If you love the guard, why not.

We never traditionally had a strong army(until our last book) but then again if you played guard lovingly that wasn't really important. We're the underdogs, the redshirts of the 41st millennium and victory is doubly sweet for us.

So yeah if the guard was your first love then it really doesn't matter what I say.

(however I would highly and doubly suggest you seek alternative models for the bog standard guardsmen if you want to save some cash)

jselvy
23-10-2015, 10:47
Thank you for your considered responses.
I guess I'll raise the regiments again. It takes a fair streak of masochism to play the Guard, but it hurts so good.

Saunders
23-10-2015, 19:25
Guard is actually in a better place now than they've been at many other times. Heed the Wyvern.

Charistoph
24-10-2015, 04:39
Also consider that you can field other codices in your army. You can take a Raven Guard Librarian and Scout Squad (or two) to your army as some very tough and accurate Snipers. You can also add some Grey Knights, Assassins, and Inquisitors to your army and all playing buddy buddy. Of course, you can also add Chaos Marines or Daemons to your army playing a freshly turned IG group.

The Allied Rules do not make them the best option for IG, but it is a way to build your collection in the direction you want without having to discard everything you have.