PDA

View Full Version : GW public relations?

Mawduce
22-10-2015, 22:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfH4aU7P0w

I can't see this going the way they planned.

EDIT 1: I think if they wanted real feedback they would open up the comments. This way, they can control the narrative.

Llew
22-10-2015, 22:19
"I'd love to hear about how you can declare that your IP is the most valuable thing to your company, and then take a huge chunk of it and trash it and have success."

NCO
22-10-2015, 23:11
Will anyone be e-mailing them with the question
"How to sculpt in Warhammer style so we don't have to pay GW prices for the minuatures?"

You can't blame them for trying, I agree that this is not going to go the way they expect, is it me or is this effort a little passive?

Malagor
22-10-2015, 23:21
"Is gold paint really the top 3 reason why AoS is considered great?"

Skargit Crookfang
23-10-2015, 02:02
I wrote them an e-mail.

Basically, give us the option of square bases, and give props to community projects like 9th Age and FurionHammer etc.

If they don't want to write the rules for the game, but continue to sell models, let us do the heavy lifting on the former.

A little goodwill can go a long way!

mrtn
23-10-2015, 02:15
They ask for ideas for painting tutorials and you guys want to send them questions like that? :eyebrows:

I'm about as brutally cynical as anyone posting in the "GW General Discussion" forum, but I doubt we'll see the video "Today we'll paint all the abuse you guys sent us"... It's totally off topic and should go directly to the junk folder.

I'm not saying GW PLC doesn't deserve a lot of abuse, but sending it via Warhammer TV seems to be the wrong way to go about it.

Mawduce
23-10-2015, 02:41
They ask for ideas for painting tutorials and you guys want to send them questions like that? :eyebrows:

I'm about as brutally cynical as anyone posting in the "GW General Discussion" forum, but I doubt we'll see the video "Today we'll paint all the abuse you guys sent us"... It's totally off topic and should go directly to the junk folder.

I'm not saying GW PLC doesn't deserve a lot of abuse, but sending it via Warhammer TV seems to be the wrong way to go about it.

That's what I'm saying. No matter how or where they take this kind of thing, they need to be ready for the abuse. I feel they want e-mail so they can hide all that abuse and filter out all the other stuff they are asking for. Which isn't so bad in the short term goal of they are "asking for", but I doubt that's the full story on what they are trying to accomplish. It's better that adverts in magazines though. Dying medium as it is. I'm sure we'll never hear anything outside of exactly what they asked for though, despite all the abuse that is coming. Not posting it here or anywhere wouldn't stop it.

EDIT: They could have opened the comments on that video and got the same result if it was just about the information they wanted. They could just as easily sift through it all. But they really want to hide all the bad stuff. They want their South Park safe place so they can hang reality.

Losing Command
23-10-2015, 03:06
Now that you mention South Park : is there an episode in which GW gets ripped a new one ? Because I would love to watch that :D

But with 3k views, I don't think they'll have that much feedback to go through just yet. But then again GW does not listen to "the noisy few"

Mawduce
23-10-2015, 04:16
I don't expect much feedback really. They need something like what Mantic has for its feedback. I know people from here are going to be rude as all get out, but at the very least if one person is anywhere near professional, maybe... just maybe.

Greyshadow
23-10-2015, 05:02
Ah, I reckon this is brilliant. Duncan Rhodes is a seriously, seriously good painter who makes excellent tutorial videos. What is more they are free. His videos are just as good for Warmachine players as they are for Warhammer miniatures. Duncan and co are not the ones making the strategic decisions at Games Workshop, they are employees who are doing a great job. Credit where credit is due people. There are plenty of other email addresses that you can send constructive criticism to if you are so inclined.

Mawduce
23-10-2015, 05:26
Ah, I reckon this is brilliant. Duncan Rhodes is a seriously, seriously good painter who makes excellent tutorial videos. What is more they are free. His videos are just as good for Warmachine players as they are for Warhammer miniatures. Duncan and co are not the ones making the strategic decisions at Games Workshop, they are employees who are doing a great job. Credit where credit is due people. There are plenty of other email addresses that you can send constructive criticism to if you are so inclined.

I do like his work. But to do something like this, they need corporate approval. So in the end, the bobble heads are still running the show. Mad props to the painters though. I would like to see them do more battle damage though.

ehlijen
23-10-2015, 06:40
That's what I'm saying. No matter how or where they take this kind of thing, they need to be ready for the abuse. I feel they want e-mail so they can hide all that abuse and filter out all the other stuff they are asking for. Which isn't so bad in the short term goal of they are "asking for", but I doubt that's the full story on what they are trying to accomplish. It's better that adverts in magazines though. Dying medium as it is. I'm sure we'll never hear anything outside of exactly what they asked for though, despite all the abuse that is coming. Not posting it here or anywhere wouldn't stop it.

EDIT: They could have opened the comments on that video and got the same result if it was just about the information they wanted. They could just as easily sift through it all. But they really want to hide all the bad stuff. They want their South Park safe place so they can hang reality.

As wrong as I think GW is on almost everything, I don't blame them one bit for not wanting to open the floodgates of a toxic community. There is disagreeing with them, there is disliking them and there is complaining about how they helped create this community or lack thereof. But flooding them with unrelated 'you sucks' every time they ask for anything is failing to be a decent gamer.

Free painting guide videos are one of the few decent things they still do, do we really want them to stop that, too?

And I can see how they might prefer an anonymous poll: that way everyone will send their own choice, rather than being influenced what's been posted before, in addition to letting them sort it more easily on their end.

Avian
23-10-2015, 08:16
Maybe they'll work on getting a less toxic community.

mikesmight123
23-10-2015, 08:28
I really hate how this community is reacting, its a step in the right direction yet all people are saying is hate. I'm no gw fanboy but I can appreciate what they are trying to do.

jtrowell
23-10-2015, 08:31

I happen to think that this is easier when you don't dump toxic waste on said community on a regular basis. :angel:

Zywus
23-10-2015, 08:44
As wrong as I think GW is on almost everything, I don't blame them one bit for not wanting to open the floodgates of a toxic community.Although, if they haden't refused to communicate with their customers for the last years and perhaps listened to feedback (!) there would presumably be a less toxic commiunity.

That said, I don't see much point in sending complaints about pricing, changed background or anything here, since that's not what they ask for. Just send such suggestions to the studio. (or to save postage, send them directly to your own trashcan. It'll accomplish as much. GW has been quite clear that they care not for customer input in these matters)

Mawduce
23-10-2015, 09:54
I really hate how this community is reacting, its a step in the right direction yet all people are saying is hate. I'm no gw fanboy but I can appreciate what they are trying to do.

Well, they are responsible for this community so it's really on them. I understand the need to control the narrative at this point, but for many, the ship has already sailed.

Allen
23-10-2015, 10:07
Although, if they haden't refused to communicate with their customers for the last years and perhaps listened to feedback (!) there would presumably be a less toxic commiunity

Yet I can't avoid pointing out there's shared responsability for the level of toxicity of the community. GW choose to be unprofessional and to avoid any kind of criticism (both constructive and destructive), but many in our community choose on a daily basis to be petty, childish and generally immature when dealing with something that is, all frills removed, a simple toy company. And all that with the supposed alibi of "but I've invested so much in this hobby!". Yeah, because that's a valid excuse for mailing to Warhammer TV questions like "I'd love to hear about how you can declare that your IP is the most valuable thing to your company, and then take a huge chunk of it and trash it and have success". Of course.

On GW side you have bad public relation/marketing procedures and worse business practices. On our part, you have rudeness and immaturity - I frankly don't know what side is more wrong (if any, of course).

That said, I don't see much point in sending complaints about pricing, changed background or anything here, since that's not what they ask for. Just send such suggestions to the studio. (or to save postage, send them directly to your own trashcan. It'll accomplish as much. GW has been quite clear that they care not for customer input in these matters)

I agree with you here.

The_Real_Chris
23-10-2015, 10:22
I have no sympathy for GW getting a toxic response. Maybe one day it will become a loverly little case study on how to take a group of 'fan' customers and make them enemies that always stand ready to talk negatively about you in any medium in which discussion or messaging reaches.

BFalcon
23-10-2015, 11:42
I do think that, in this case, it might be better to stay quiet and let them do their thing - let them see that reaching out to the community is, by and large, safe and sensible so that (hopefully) they'll expand a bit more.

Just sending emails to them isn't doing much more than helping you vent, which you could just as easily do by never sending that mail.

If they do expand, perhaps then you can make your feelings known (and in a mature, grown-up way, trying to be constructive).

Perhaps then, they might start to listen?

Lord Damocles
23-10-2015, 12:38

This.

The very fact that the first five posts in this thread all completely fail to answer the question posed in the video (what would you like to see in a painting tutorial?) doesn't seem to offer a great incentive for GW to talk more openly with the community.

Bloodknight
23-10-2015, 12:45
I feel they want e-mail so they can hide all that abuse and filter out all the other stuff they are asking for.

No, because the signal-to-noise ratio is less crappy even when the tiny hurdle of opening an email client has to be taken. Means people will put at least 30 seconds of thought into what they're writing and it makes finding the replies to the asked question a lot less time consuming.

All these guys want is for you to take a minute and tell them what you want in a free goodie, not sending them **** about things they can't influence. *shrug*

reds8n
23-10-2015, 13:40

Well said.

Emma is also a very accomplished painter, she'll do well too.

blackcherry
23-10-2015, 13:42
There is a reason comments are disabled on the GW youtube channel. Before they were people use to post some of the most vile, hateful and off topic things in the comments section. This thread hasn't really differed from that.

There is a middle ground between the polar opposites of "GW doesn't ever communicate with us" (they had forums - they became toxic so were closed) and the personal interactions that some smaller companies manage. Even then, those communities are usually heavily moderated (those thinking the Mantic/PP forums aren't are kidding themselves - the mods are just smart about it). GW is trying some of that middle ground, which is nice.

So to respond with such hostility really does show how toxic parts of the community can be - some of the posts in this thread alone would have me avoiding a person if they said anything like it face to face. So why should people just doing the job they are hired to do be subjected to it, just because people have anger issues they can't resolve themselves?

The Clairvoyant
23-10-2015, 14:17
Well said.

Emma is also a very accomplished painter, she'll do well too.

Indeed she is. Her Tzeentch daemons were very nice and her harlequins with glitter on the base rims "because I'm a girl" were awesome. I think she finally got jetbike thingy in Visions this month after 3 or 4 months of waiting.

HelloKitty
23-10-2015, 14:57
There is a reason comments are disabled on the GW youtube channel. Before they were people use to post some of the most vile, hateful and off topic things in the comments section. This thread hasn't really differed from that.

There is a middle ground between the polar opposites of "GW doesn't ever communicate with us" (they had forums - they became toxic so were closed) and the personal interactions that some smaller companies manage. Even then, those communities are usually heavily moderated (those thinking the Mantic/PP forums aren't are kidding themselves - the mods are just smart about it). GW is trying some of that middle ground, which is nice.

So to respond with such hostility really does show how toxic parts of the community can be - some of the posts in this thread alone would have me avoiding a person if they said anything like it face to face. So why should people just doing the job they are hired to do be subjected to it, just because people have anger issues they can't resolve themselves?

Pretty much this. Well said.

MDSW
23-10-2015, 15:06
Nothing wrong with putting something out there and asking for feedback/comments on a particular item or area - painting in this case. I think all the anger is because so many people have so much to say to GW if they had their ear for a moment. Unfortunately, painting is not one of the things they want to discuss.

Kind of like this typical scenario:

W: "What is the matter with you?! You tracked mud all over the floor I just cleaned because you could not take a moment to wipe your feet and now the carpet is totally ruined!!!!!!!"
H: "What would you like to watch tonight on the TV?"

M'ichal
23-10-2015, 15:20
When they ask for suggestions for painting projects, what result do you think sending emails with complaints about their business practices will have? If it was me, it'd be automatic trash.

It's cool they're doing this, I'm gonna think of some stuff I'd like to see demonstrated and send it to them. I'd really, really, really like to see some good painting like the old Masterclasses, rather than just more 3-colour schemes but lets see.

Allen
23-10-2015, 15:48
When they ask for suggestions for painting projects, what result do you think sending emails with complaints about their business practices will have? If it was me, it'd be automatic trash.

It's cool they're doing this, I'm gonna think of some stuff I'd like to see demonstrated and send it to them. I'd really, really, really like to see some good painting like the old Masterclasses, rather than just more 3-colour schemes but lets see.

Those mails WILL be trashed - it's like writing angry posts on the facebook page of a car company because their engine is giving you problems: wrong topic on the wrong medium, you're not speaking to the right people and your comments will find their way to the bin.

Sometimes I fear that members of this community complain about the lack of GW engagement/dialogue with us just because doing so GW is robbing them of the opportunity to be hatemailed/rageposted. Go figure.

Kahadras
23-10-2015, 15:51
they had forums - they became toxic so were closed

Could there possibly be a reason why they became so 'toxic'? Most online forums have a section of the community that are never happy with what a company does. GW could produce the best games in the world, with the best models in the world, at the lowest prices in the world and those people would still find something to be cross about. Unhappiness is always going to be there. If what you say is true and the forum was closed due to an increase in unhappiness (toxicity) do you think that it would suddenly all go away? When the forums were open people at least felt that they had the ability to talk to (at) GW about their grievances (real or imaginary).

HelloKitty
23-10-2015, 16:00
The GW forums were filled with bile that make most of the nasty posts that you read here or dakka seem like rainbows and puppies. This was back in 2002 or 2003, the golden age of warhammer.

Honestly I feel that GW just didn't want to have to employ moderators. If it had been moderated properly it may not have been so ....nasty - but it is what it is.

Kahadras
23-10-2015, 16:06
The GW forums were filled with bile that make most of the nasty posts that you read here or dakka seem like rainbows and puppies. This was back in 2002 or 2003, the golden age of warhammer.

Imagine the amount of hatred there would have been now...

I never really visited the GW forums. I started off on Portent and have stuck with it ever since.

Honestly I feel that GW just didn't want to have to employ moderators. If it had been moderated properly it may not have been so ....nasty - but it is what it is.

Meh. So it wasn't really toxicity that killed the forum but more GW not bothering.

HelloKitty
23-10-2015, 16:09
The lack of moderating just let the trolls on that forum jump down any conversations and turn it nasty. The moderators would slap them on the wrist but do nothing. It was pretty bad.

Kahadras
23-10-2015, 16:30
The lack of moderating just let the trolls on that forum jump down any conversations and turn it nasty. The moderators would slap them on the wrist but do nothing. It was pretty bad.

Yeah this is sounding more and more like GW needing to police it's forum better.

Bloodknight
23-10-2015, 16:54
Meh. So it wasn't really toxicity that killed the forum but more GW not bothering.

There were quite a few moderators around, they just couldn't keep up, they would have needed a hundred trusty people to do that. Banning people helps for about 5 seconds till they have a new account and catching the re-re-re-re-re-registerers can be quite a job for a mod team before the jerk loses his patience and stops trying.

Those mails WILL be trashed
Yup. But by then they have already wasted precious time that could have been used to read an e-mail that is actually on-topic. Now multiply that by 1000 and you're getting in range of serious man-hours. :)

Katastrophe
23-10-2015, 17:03
Yeah this is sounding more and more like GW needing to police it's forum better.

It was less a need to moderate as it was that they did not like criticism. They had a tendency to give ridiculous answers to rules issues or completely fail to comprehend the rule problem that was being asked about. A lot of the flame wars generally started over how a rule was supposed to work versus how it actually worked or how much a unit cost vs how effective it actually was. Like here, you had those that would be absolutely blindly pro-GW and personally attack people for questioning GW, and there was a faction that was pretty much in the "GW are idiots category", and then the GW staff that would respond were really no better generally speaking. So there was lots of break down in the discussions/arguments/etc

In other parts of the forum, akin to General Discussion, particularly when a new book or unit was introduced, there was plenty complaining and complaining about complainers, much like here. The GW staff would interject with the kind of we are better than you attitude which would explode the forum. Unfortunately, what generally destroyed most conversation, like here, is the whole - well GW did not intend for you to play that way or use the unit for that or for you to create that combination, etc.

Instead of GW taking from those complaints that maybe they needed to "fix" the issue that was being discussed in an FAQ or ADDENDUM, their attitude was "we don't like to hear about our mistakes" so they closed the forums. Were GW ever interested in actually improving their products, they could have limited the forum to rule discussions and made that the place where FAQs were worked out and continued with annual updates through a compendium.

Bloodknight
23-10-2015, 17:08
"fix" the issue that was being discussed in an FAQ or ADDENDUM

Dunno, one of my questions on the forum made it into the 3rd edition Dark Eldar FAQ in exactly the way I phrased it.

HelloKitty
23-10-2015, 17:59
Typically how I saw it was that someone would complain about something in a non constructive way, get shut down, then that person would ignite the flame thrower and rage that GW didn't care about his opinion. While they may or may not have had a valid criticism, when they would come off as hostile the way that a lot of posters do, they aren't going to be listened to while in that mode.

I found like I do here that those that are less hostile got listened to more.

And then there's just sometimes you aren't going to get your way - and a lot of people really really hate when they don't get their way and go off on forum-rants.

I have a personal experience about that with our aos comp pack. A poster gave a hostile reply something about how the points were "just plain stupid" and that our team should try his formula instead. We passed it along, it was rejected, poster was responded to with a "thanks but right now that doesn't fit what we are doing".

Poster was found on another board a day later going off on our group saying that he tried to give constructive feedback but the response he was given was that we are gaming gods that know everything better than anyone else and that he'd never consider using our trash because we were so arrogant, or something like that. He passed it off that we had responded like that - which of course generated this massive negative backlash. It was also wholly false but that's how the internet works.

All because we said "thanks but what you are proposing doesn't fit what we are doing".

I find a lot of complaints aimed at GW fit that same criteria, that the responses get twisted into this legendary and epic response that never happened but make for good stories to pass around the internet forum camp fires.

The pricing complaints were legendary as well. To the point where I remember some of the gw moderators had in their sig a disclaimer stating they would not be able to respond to pricing complaints. The giant rage in the cage when the land raider was released at $45 was pretty epic.

BFalcon
23-10-2015, 18:04
Could there possibly be a reason why they became so 'toxic'? Most online forums have a section of the community that are never happy with what a company does. GW could produce the best games in the world, with the best models in the world, at the lowest prices in the world and those people would still find something to be cross about. Unhappiness is always going to be there. If what you say is true and the forum was closed due to an increase in unhappiness (toxicity) do you think that it would suddenly all go away? When the forums were open people at least felt that they had the ability to talk to (at) GW about their grievances (real or imaginary).

I dunno - people online (as a collective group) these days seem FAR more nasty than they used to be... and they could have had manual approval of accounts with an automated suspension system in place, had they been bothered to spend a little money and time on it.

One way to deal with it would have been a simple "3 months unable to post to anything other than the "Sin Bin" forums on their site where the moderators only spend a short time making sure that they're not posting any threads in there that are blatant advertising or defamatory and leaving it at that. Anyone banned gets that email address added to the do-not-allow-to-re-sign list and all accounts need to be a valid GamesWorkshop website acccount email in order to be signed up. The hassle of having to sign up to a website with a new email before you can apply to the forums each time might discourage people from doing it more than once - it would certainly slow them down.

But I do agree that people need a chance to vent, which we see on here quite a bit - the main difference these days is that people have lost a LOT of the respect they used to show online and some of the twitters that get reported are just vile in their personal attacks. Props to the guys here who allow arguments and counterviews without being heavy handed - I've grown to like these forums as somewhere we can debate and argue without fear of getting our posts deleted, except when we go too far off topic (in which case we probably deserve it). :)

BFalcon
23-10-2015, 18:08
Typically how I saw it was that someone would complain about something in a non constructive way, get shut down, then that person would ignite the flame thrower and rage that GW didn't care about his opinion. While they may or may not have had a valid criticism, when they would come off as hostile the way that a lot of posters do, they aren't going to be listened to while in that mode.

I found like I do here that those that are less hostile got listened to more.

And then there's just sometimes you aren't going to get your way - and a lot of people really really hate when they don't get their way and go off on forum-rants.

The pricing complaints were legendary as well. To the point where I remember some moderators had in their sig a disclaimer stating they would not be able to respond to pricing complaints. The giant rage in the cage when the land raider was released at $45 was pretty epic.

Yeah... GW do NOT like pricing complaints... I remember that much...

It's like life - if you construct an argument and reason it through, people will listen (like people do on here). If, on the other hand, you sound like you're foaming at the mouth already (like I've seen elsewhere) and starting to swear every few words, then people are going to walk away (either literally or figuratively). It's one reason I like these forums.

Deadhorse
23-10-2015, 18:42
Seriously, if you want to spam some GW adresses, do what sales pros do and guess the executives e-mail.
These poor painters are actually friendly and good at their jobs, leave them alone!

I think something like 90% of business e-mail addresses are either name.lastname@company (in this case, gwplc.com) or initial+lastname@company.

So look up the names of people who have offended you and give them feedback if you must vent at someone.

shelfunit.
23-10-2015, 18:45
Seems like a reasonable video request from them, they'll get a few needless emails about other things, but nothing is stopping people sending those now. I might pop a cheeky mail asking about painting techniques for a few Epic minis though...

M'ichal
23-10-2015, 19:10
Seriously, if you want to spam some GW adresses, do what sales pros do and guess the executives e-mail.
These poor painters are actually friendly and good at their jobs, leave them alone!

Yeah, Duncan seems like a really nice fella!

BFalcon
23-10-2015, 19:48
Seems like a reasonable video request from them, they'll get a few needless emails about other things, but nothing is stopping people sending those now. I might pop a cheeky mail asking about painting techniques for a few Epic minis though...

Yeah... they'll probably read the first few words or lines and if they hit anything suspect, it'll be the DEL key and onto the next.

LOL... that'd be mean... :)

Or Blood Bowl team paint schemes - how to get that clean Blood Bowl look... :)

NCO
23-10-2015, 20:11
I might pop a cheeky mail asking about painting techniques for a few Epic minis though...

That sound a lot better than what I came up with.

ebbwar
23-10-2015, 22:56
Ask them for some Mordheim/Necromunda/BFG painting guides as well :D

ehlijen
24-10-2015, 00:05
I have no sympathy for GW getting a toxic response. Maybe one day it will become a loverly little case study on how to take a group of 'fan' customers and make them enemies that always stand ready to talk negatively about you in any medium in which discussion or messaging reaches.

Or maybe it'll become a case study of how a toy company's poor decisions was taken as a blanket permission to be rude on the internet by an army of terrible people.

GW treats us like dirt, sure. But it remains our own free choice whether to be that dirt. If we do, GW will be right to treat us this way.

It doesn't matter who started the mud fight, everyone involved got dirty.

Skargit Crookfang
24-10-2015, 02:33

Reap what you sow.

Mawduce
24-10-2015, 03:13
Or maybe it'll become a case study of how a toy company's poor decisions was taken as a blanket permission to be rude on the internet by an army of terrible people.

GW treats us like dirt, sure. But it remains our own free choice whether to be that dirt. If we do, GW will be right to treat us this way.

It doesn't matter who started the mud fight, everyone involved got dirty.

Yea, that's how disputes go. No one walks away from an argument or a fight without a little mud or blood on them. At the end of the day, GW were the ones that hurt the community then shut it out when the community started pounding on the doors of GW's safe place. Bully safe windows and troll locked doors don't solve problems they create new ones while allowing the first set of problems to fester. While I do want this attempt to talk to the community to succeed and be civil, they need to just rip off the band aid and prepare for the initial response. No matter how they announced this or where the trouble makers were going to rear their ugly heads because they themselves can't see past their own little worlds much like GW.

The_Real_Chris
24-10-2015, 22:55
Blood bowl paint schemes would have been interesting - very different because the football strips should be bright and eye catching mixed with the damage of the blood bowl pitch.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Harwammer
25-10-2015, 02:52
I know people complain GW are soulless and charge too much. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Poor Duncan seems enthusiastic, caring and his videos are free to watch. He represents the exact opposite of GW that people complain about, so why try break his spirit with negativity instead of encouraging this side to grow by playing the game and making painting suggestions to him?

Personally I'm going to think of some suggestions to make to him in the hope he will get at least one on topic email.

ToLongDidntRead
26-10-2015, 13:54
I know people complain GW are soulless and charge too much. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Poor Duncan seems enthusiastic, caring and his videos are free to watch. He represents the exact opposite of GW that people complain about, so why try break his spirit with negativity instead of encouraging this side to grow by playing the game and making painting suggestions to him?

Personally I'm going to think of some suggestions to make to him in the hope he will get at least one on topic email.

Make that two emails. Just sent mine. While the troll posts in this thread have been nothing short of hilarious. Taking your anger out on Duncan really isn't fair tbh.

Mawduce
26-10-2015, 16:40
Make that two emails. Just sent mine. While the troll posts in this thread have been nothing short of hilarious. Taking your anger out on Duncan really isn't fair tbh.

I don't think anyone is going after Duncan. From what I've seen here it's mostly his bosses that people have a hard time with. The Duncan love seems to be universal on mots standards. I asked for more weathering and battle damage. Everything they do seems too clean for Warhammer.

Ben
26-10-2015, 19:41
I sent a list of techniques I'd love to see and even tied them to miniatures they could use. Though I would bet against them explaining ice palettes to people.

duffybear1988
27-10-2015, 16:11
I want to see week after week of Sisters of Battle painting guides. What we lack in model support WILL be made up for in beautiful painting. :cool:

SuperHappyTime
27-10-2015, 20:37
I want to see week after week of Sisters of Battle painting guides. What we lack in model support WILL be made up for in beautiful painting. :cool:

This.

Oh, and Bretonnians too.

ebbwar
27-10-2015, 22:41
Sisters of Who? ;)

jtrowell
28-10-2015, 10:04
John Rockfeller Battle, he was a great name of wargaming in the 70s. (joking :p)

Tyberos
29-10-2015, 03:46
I think a number of people are reading too much into this video posting. All they're saying is that they'll be doing some painting guide videos of some of their products, no doubt with the hope it will inspire you to buy some over the Xmas period. Same as many other companys. In this case they've asked for some input on thinhgs to paint from people who watch their Youtube channel.

I do get the hate, and the negative comments directed at Games Workshop. However I don't think they're worth wasteing your time over.

Greyshadow
31-10-2015, 10:14
This.

Oh, and Bretonnians too.

Duncan has a beautiful Bretonnian Army. I bet he was sad no new book was coming out for them too.

NCO
31-10-2015, 15:10
Maybe if everyone send in a request for how to paint 2nd and 11th legion then every body wins.

ebbwar
31-10-2015, 21:28
Maybe if everyone send in a request for how to paint 2nd and 11th legion then every body wins.

Please do. I've been looking for their company markings for a while.

Skargit Crookfang
01-11-2015, 01:44
Just in case it wasn't mentioned here... everything from WHFB 8th ed. is available for D/L from Black Library, currently. The rulebook is something like $35....

So... is this a partial "..oops" admission?

Lord Damocles
01-11-2015, 09:37
The 8th Ed rulebook was still available from Black Library before the site redesign anyway.

And what does that have to do with painting videos?!

Mawduce
01-11-2015, 10:48
The 8th Ed rulebook was still available from Black Library before the site redesign anyway.

nothing. One question they should answer is, why are the air brush paints in pots?

ebbwar
01-11-2015, 12:30
nothing. One question they should answer is, why are the air brush paints in pots?

To avoid the effort of coming up with something better.

Mawduce
01-11-2015, 14:11
To avoid the effort of coming up with something better.

but droppers are known to be better. If they said, to get rid of the pots because we want to switch over to droppers for most of our range outside of a few paints that are better in pots (dry brush paints) then I could accept that answer. I would be funny trying to watch them use them with an air brush. Having to use a dropper all the time to make it work lol.

Skargit Crookfang
01-11-2015, 20:36

Weird- I didn't see it up there prior.

Not saying it wasn't, just perusing it, the book never came up recently.

Well, considering we're talking about PR, and the reappearance (if it was not, I do apologize) of the book caught me as an interesting PR point. Not sure why I have to justify that, but hey, it's WarSeer.

Lars Porsenna
02-11-2015, 01:17
but droppers are known to be better. If they said, to get rid of the pots because we want to switch over to droppers for most of our range outside of a few paints that are better in pots (dry brush paints) then I could accept that answer. I would be funny trying to watch them use them with an air brush. Having to use a dropper all the time to make it work lol.

Let me just say, as someone who has been airbrushing since around 1990, I'm not sure I would want airbrush paints in dropper bottles. I normally don't airbrush paints that come in dropper bottles to begin with, but if I did I'm pretty sure I'd pop the nipple off and just dump the paint into the paint jar on the airbrush (I use a Paasche VLS airbrush, with a siphon feed from a glass jar...yes I know gravity feed airbrushes can be sprayed at lower pressures, I just am not crazy about the ergonomics). Droppers are fine for hand-brushing paints, but IMHO pointless for airbrushing paints, unless you're doing really small jobs...

Damon.

ehlijen
02-11-2015, 01:37
Let me just say, as someone who has been airbrushing since around 1990, I'm not sure I would want airbrush paints in dropper bottles. I normally don't airbrush paints that come in dropper bottles to begin with, but if I did I'm pretty sure I'd pop the nipple off and just dump the paint into the paint jar on the airbrush (I use a Paasche VLS airbrush, with a siphon feed from a glass jar...yes I know gravity feed airbrushes can be sprayed at lower pressures, I just am not crazy about the ergonomics). Droppers are fine for hand-brushing paints, but IMHO pointless for airbrushing paints, unless you're doing really small jobs...

Damon.

I think the advantage for airbrushing is that dropper bottles, even with the dropper removed, have smaller openings and can thus be poured more easily than open GW pots, in addition to not having the lid flop around while attached.

I don't think dropper bottles are ideal for filling airbrush pots, but neither are GW pots.

Lars Porsenna
02-11-2015, 01:53
I think the advantage for airbrushing is that dropper bottles, even with the dropper removed, have smaller openings and can thus be poured more easily than open GW pots, in addition to not having the lid flop around while attached..

I would cut the lid off if I were to use GW paints for airbrushing. I generally do not use the same paint for both airbrushing as well as hand painting, since I dump leftover paint back into the same container, and the ratios are all off after that for hand painting (not to mention choice of thinners...rubbing alcohol as opposed to plain distilled water)

Damon.