PDA

View Full Version : Just played my first 40K game

TKitch
08-07-2006, 05:04
And didn't get wiped.

Was at a local GW store and one of the random other customers wanted to play. The emploiyees knew us both so they let us use store armies.

Choices:

Space Marines
Tau
Necrons

that was all the choices they had, oh well ;)

He wanted to play tau. Which was fine, and since I have a thing against marines, I went with Necrons. (Which I am also collecting, but haven't built enough to matter yet:()

ended up being a 1250 point game, based off of what we could field. (With some minor proxying for extra bases)

My Necron List:

Lord + Res Orb + Phylactery + Gaze of Flame
Lord + Veil + Phylactery
5x Immortals
1x Tomb Spyder
3x Wraiths
8x Scarabs
3 Destroyers
20 Warriors

That was what they had. (Well, they also had a Monolith, but I wasn't interested in fielding it)

We had a mess of city fight terrain on the table, but it was still cool. He set up his Fire Warriors inside of 2 buildings, and had a pair of tanks out, and a stealth suit squad, plus a deep striking unit of suits.

He got first turn and went out of his way to snipe my tomb spyder. *shrug*

like hardcore. Targeted it, and missiles and snipered with railgun. Totally sniped it. And was done. (just placement)

My first turn, my destroyers slipped out and glanced to death the broadhead. 6,6. BOOM. Fair trade. imo :)

Lord & immortals Veiled into the middle of their lines, and attempted to blast the Steal suits. Immortals: 8 hits, 6 wounds, all saved. For real. Then the lord tagged them with the Staff of Light. 2 hits, wounds, and 2 failed saves. WTF?!?! (Nuked both shield drones only, though.) Those saves shoulda told me what I was off to next...

I jetted my scarabs towards his lines, and moved my blocks of warriors up as well. (I forgot where my Wraiths were and didn't move them :/)

Deep strikes in his suits, and they land almost perfectly. Some other movement.

Shooting: He pins my scarabs multiple times over. (we forget to test for it, they just got pinned)

He shoots the hell out of my immortals, and 2 fall. *test* Boxcars. 8" run.

He starts eating at my warriors with his Suits, and 4 fall. *manage to pass ld*

My turn: Lord keeps failing the test. oi. Run some more.

Jet the Wraits across the table (yay! I remembered them), Scarabs are busy being stunned, Warrior keep marching around. Destroyers move toward his entrenched Fire warriors.

My warriors drop 2 of his 3 Steath Suits (yay!) and my Destroyers and Immortals shoot at the entrenched fire warriors. Damned cover save ate WAY too many wounds.

Now he's starts playing hide-n-go-seek on my guys. The last stealth suit starts jumping in and out of cover, and shooting everything they had at my guys. Drops a wraith, another immortal, another warrior.

My wraiths cover most of the distance to his suits. I'm taking them down as fast as I can.

My scarabs assault a unit of gunners with a lot of marklites. Tie up the entire unit.

Warriors shake his last tank, and I also manage to break his chaingun.

I then wear down his Suits with my Destroyers. Drop the shield drones, and take a wound off of one.

Wraiths do 2 more wounds, and take none in return. There goes one suit.

Scarabs kill 4 troopers, and only take a wound in return.

During his next turn the game gets called due to the store closing (oops!)

We called it a tie, but I was starting to get the upper hand.

Rolling was not going my way, though. I only passed like 1 or 2 WBBs, and I chain failed LD tests left and right. I made like 2 or 3 and failed a lot more of them.

Still it was fun. He never guessed it was my first game, until I told him it was ;)

Seth the Dark
08-07-2006, 05:51
Congratulations! You can only improve from here on.

Kamin_Majere
08-07-2006, 06:50
Excellent, welcome to the dark side of the force :p

Congradulations and welcome to the hobby

Harding xxx
08-07-2006, 09:56
If you use your army, next time take flayed ones with a lord, who has a veil and other awesome stuff. It kicks ass

Venomizer
08-07-2006, 11:07
Nice result...........and welcome to the Necrons :)

Overlord Krycis
08-07-2006, 12:06
Congratulations on your first game...and welcome to the complicated universe of Warhammer 40k!

TKitch
08-07-2006, 21:39
Thanks for the comments all! It was a lot of fun to actually get around to playing the game. I enjoyed it immensely.

Now I've just got to get off my lazy **** and actually do something with the thousands of points of necrons I've got in boxes. (sadly, I'm not kidding)

Excellent, welcome to the dark side of the force :p

Congradulations and welcome to the hobby

Sorry, I couldn't help but comment on this. Too funny ;)

I'm also an old school portenter, and have been doing GW stuff for years ;) *grins*

Just not 40K (until now)

Venomizer
08-07-2006, 23:02
Now I've just got to get off my lazy **** and actually do something with the thousands of points of necrons I've got in boxes. (sadly, I'm not kidding)

pretty juch the same thing here..............I've got all 2,500pts of my first Necron army built, I just can't get motivated to paint them, I'm hoping a deadline of the next carnage tournament will be the motivator I need

Slyde
08-07-2006, 23:52
Welcome to the hobby. For future reference, scarabs are fearless and thus cant be pinned, so maybe you could have gotten the upper hand a little sooner.

TKitch
09-07-2006, 02:33
Welcome to the hobby. For future reference, scarabs are fearless and thus cant be pinned, so maybe you could have gotten the upper hand a little sooner.

... damn. Thanks for the note! :)

Next time, I'm going to drop make some points for distruption fields. Those'd be helpful.

TKitch
09-07-2006, 02:34
pretty juch the same thing here..............I've got all 2,500pts of my first Necron army built, I just can't get motivated to paint them, I'm hoping a deadline of the next carnage tournament will be the motivator I need

heh, you've got me beat. The vast, vast, majority of mine aren't even built!

paddyalexander
09-07-2006, 03:42
Luckily Necrons are easy to paint quickly if you use a metalic paint scheame, simply under coat, dry brush & tidy. I managed to get 30 warriors, 3 Wraiths, 4 Destroyers, 6 scarb swarms & 10 flayed ones painted in less than two weeks.

I used:

Chaos Black undercoat => Drybrushed in batches of 10 boltgun metal => Shoulder pads painted Brazen Brass => Eyes & gun cable/exhaust painted scorpion green.

Welcome to the hobby :)

ffclubhero
09-07-2006, 04:15
Congrats! Necrons are a good army to start with (and keep if you enjoy them :) ).

british nut
09-07-2006, 17:46
as they say in CoD "for those who this was your first combat, welcome to the big time" ;)

TKitch
09-07-2006, 20:24
thx :)

Just finished the design for my bases, and I've gotten some in various stages of painting. Check P&T for that, about to post a thread asking for reccomendations.