PDA

View Full Version : Small scale AoS (scaling down)

rmeister0
23-10-2015, 19:26
Taking the opposite approach of another thread, I ask this: has anyone tried AoS using just single model units? Five or six at the most, on a 4x4 board with a lot of terrain. How does that work?

MLP
23-10-2015, 19:30
Not tried it, however there is a campaign pack being developed for this sort of thing. I imagine using AoS rules it would work however there will be no bravery mechanic and certain things could end up overpowered.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?413803-Mordheim-Age-of-Sigmar-(alpha-v-0-5)-launches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vladyhell
23-10-2015, 21:15
You can use Aos with single models and have fights in dungeons and all sorts of places.The rules are so flexible you can fight anywhere and with anyone.

Okuto
23-10-2015, 21:37
Taking the opposite approach of another thread, I ask this: has anyone tried AoS using just single model units? Five or six at the most, on a 4x4 board with a lot of terrain. How does that work?

Yep, the most satisfying game of AoS I had was an army of 7 heroes v 30-40 guys with monsters on a 4x4. IMO AoS is optimal on a 4x4, its quick to set up and play and requires little commitment. Others have found it works fine at larger scale but I don't feel that was AoS's original intent nor does it do it that great.

If you ever played Mordheim, smaller scale AoS feels pretty much like it.

The_Real_Chris
24-10-2015, 23:07
I have heard of it being used in a dungeon terrain set up. The terrain is restrictive so that compensates for the lack of tactical manoeuvre you normally get.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kherith
25-10-2015, 11:43
I like the game at all scales, but seven samurai type scenarios, hero on hero duels, or border skirmish games are really good fun and can be super quick. I think personally they're a really good way to kick off a campaign with 3-4 games in a single evening to start establishing the story and characters and get some momentum going, or keep some momentum when the group is short on time.

My favourite scenario is a nightfight with 2-3 heroes and 1-2 5 man units, or just 5-10 independent troop models trying to scout out a large enemy army of 50+ models.

The aim is to discover as many units as possible and escape of the board.

With the up shot that you get +1 to wound any unit you discover in the next game, and you only get the bonus if the model which spotted the unit survives.

You have to get within D6" to discover something but when spotted an enemy unit has a 6+ chance of spotting you. The enemy also has a patrol unit which can spot you within D6". The first two to three turns are usually very cat and mouse before all hell breaks loose and you try to get as many guys with info as possible off the board usually sacrificing everybody else.

Lastly you can't use any mounted units and for both sides any model you lose can't take part in the next battle.

Spiney Norman
25-10-2015, 22:14
Yep, the most satisfying game of AoS I had was an army of 7 heroes v 30-40 guys with monsters on a 4x4. IMO AoS is optimal on a 4x4, its quick to set up and play and requires little commitment. Others have found it works fine at larger scale but I don't feel that was AoS's original intent nor does it do it that great.

If you ever played Mordheim, smaller scale AoS feels pretty much like it.

I remember a very enjoyable WD battle report from the mist of time when WD still did proper batreps which was a fantasy game called 'the seven Knights' or some such, which was basically seven human characters (as I recall a mixture of Empire and Bretonnians) taking on an equivalent points value chaos army. It strikes me that that kind of game would work much much better with AoS than it did with wfb, when I've painted up enough characters for my bloodbound I'll have to give it a go.

Dosiere
26-10-2015, 05:31
Hmmm yes and no?

I found heroes and small elite units work just fine. You can have an AoS game with 2 hero models if you want, and it works.

The issue I found though is that the little guys really require large numbers and buffs, and when those buffs come from large numbers they just don't work.

I played a few intro to AoS games where we used 5 strong units of state troops as an example, and a few lower power level heroes. It was not uncommon for a whole bunch of dice to be rolled but almost no wounds being done. It was very boring, despite trying to use scenarios and/or objectives. The culprit is the unnecessary 3 stage attack process. By the time you roll to hit, to wound, and then saves its actually damn difficult for something like a swordsmen to do a wound. At low model count, it feels like a bunch of guys whacking each other with Styrofoam blades rather than a battle. Should have made it more interesting (opposed dice rolling?) or more bloody (just remove either of the hit/wound rolls from the equation).

The other real issue is that there is just no character modification. Again, it's just boring. The battle Spiney is talking about for example would be a lot more interesting if the hero army players could kit out his knights like they did back then. It's part of what made characters well... characters in WFB. Small little skirmish games would be more interesting with more customization options.

So, my opinion is that it works for all the things being discussed, just not that well compared to other systems designed for those things. I would take LoTR rules for a small little skirmish game any time over AoS, and a proper dungeon crawl RPG or boardgame if I was doing that type of game.