PDA

View Full Version : I've narrowed down my choices for second army.

gorenut
08-07-2006, 06:07
Heya all. I'm about finished with my Empire purchases until the new models come out. So in the meantime, I'm going to work on a second army. What army do you guys think would compliment an Empire army as a secondary army in providing with varying playstyle?

In my group, we already have:
Khorne mortals (backed by beastherds)
Dwarfs
Wood Elves
Dark Elves

I like High Elves, but don't like most their models and rules.
Brets might be too close to Empire, seeing that they are humans too and all cav force really isn't my style.
I used to play VC, not sure if I want to revisit them. The playstyle isn't "dynamic" enough for me. Raise raise, walk forward, raise. Though I might actually consider a Strigoi army that focuses a lot on ghouls which brings a lot more into an undead army (imho).

The armies I've kinda thought about:
DOW - Love the variety and I can probably also double up with a buncha Empire models.

Tzeentch or Nurgle beastmen or daemons (or both) - The concept intrigues me and it'll probably play drastically different from the Empire army and would make for interesting rivalry for Khorne. Plus it'd provide me to use an awe-inspiring character if I choose daemon prince (something Empire lacks)

Orcs - They're getting updated next. Depending on their new boar boyz and black orcs, they might be the winner for me. I'd definitely run a heavily orc army (particularly Black Orcs).

Ogre Kingdoms - Another army providing drasticly different playstyle from Empire. Again, being able to field a big, tough character.

Lizardmen - Carnisaur and Slann are just awesome models. Again, it'll let me field a big character. Plastics are decent, unfortunately, not a big fan of the Kroxigors and Cold One Riders (even though I like the fluff and rules for them).

So bottom line: I'm firstly looking for any army with atleast better characters than Empire (which isn't too hard). I want awe-inspiring beasts to monstrosities - something that can be a centerpiece. I also want something that brings something new not only compared to my army, but into the mix of the armies that already exist in my play group.

Any other suggestions appreciated. thanks,.

starlight
08-07-2006, 06:35
Orcs for the win.:D

Trunks
08-07-2006, 07:05
Since you like Dogs of War and Ogre Kingdoms, why not do both? Dogs of War Ogre Kingdoms units are special choices in a pure Dogs of War army (even maneaters). You could fill your special choices with Ogres, and then have the other aspects of dogs of war in your other army parts. The WD with the all gnoblar list includes a Dogs of War gnoblar unit if you want them too (no idea why you would other than for the fun of it though).

Your characters won't be all that much better than Empire characters, but you can get alot of pretty awesome unit champions that are better than empire characters (Mengil is awesome . . .).

For a "monstrosity", Dogs of War can have Giants as rare choices. You could use the Carnisaur as a giant if you want (the random things you roll on the chart for the "giant" could be renamed, like swing with club would be swing with tail, stuff in pants would be swallow whole, etc.,.). You'd probably want to give it some human rider, or some handlers on it's base though so that it'd at least fit in with the army. Or you could use any other monster like this . . . even a Giant . . . (I know, insanity to use the Giant rules for a Giant).

There are ALOT of options with a Dogs of War army, you can't really get bored (so many ways to play them). If you went with this route, you could even slowly eventually have seperate Ogre Kingdoms and "No Ogres" Dogs of War armies. Kind of a way to build two armies at once if you want.

gorenut
08-07-2006, 07:37
Thanks for the idea Trunks. Are you sure Maneaters are special for DOW? I could have sworn they were rares and still take 2 slots. Where can I find this info?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it in the OK rulebook. I might seriously consider taking a DOW army including just the bare minimum of characters so I can include more ogres.

starlight
08-07-2006, 07:37
While I agree that DoW would be great, I'm concerned about basing your core list on a non-*armybook* army. If that's not a concern, then go for it.:D DoW offer great diversity and allow a wide variety of options to keep it fresh.

I can say this after painting 3K each of Orcs, Goblins and Snotlings.:p

Trunks has some excellent suggestions if you decide to go that route.:D

gorenut
08-07-2006, 08:19
I'm not worried about that. I have already accumilated quite a few random models from Pikemen to Empire stuff. I also already have other DoW choices that I've used for Empire (such as Bronzino with 2 teams of galloper guns). Honestly, I don't think DoW list is going to become obsolete any time soon. I mean, it even mentions DoW armies in the OK army book. Even so, I don't play in tourneys anyways.

Ok, I've written a quick 2k list and I'm going to post it on the army list section of the forum. Feel free to give me advice there.

To the rest of you, I'm still taking army suggestions. Thanks for all the input so far.

Melchiah
08-07-2006, 08:23
I'ld say Lizardmen cuz a) dinosausars rock B) there old edition models arent that bad you can just mail order them C) dinos rock

Math Mathonwy
10-07-2006, 12:22
That DoW-OK army sounds extremely fun! If I weren't doing Dwarfs right now, I might consider doing that army myself. An OK Battalion will nicely fill up your special slots and then just add knights, duellists, pikemen and crossbowmen. And perhaps a giant. :cool:

One thing though:

I can say this after painting 3K each of Orcs, Goblins and Snotlings.:p
Each?!? You painted 3000 points of Snotlings? :eek:

Zilverug
10-07-2006, 14:04
Even Dwarfs can be combined with a Dogs of War army: I have used a very successful unit of Dwarf crossbowmen in my Dogs of War army (protecting my paymaster). Both paymaster and dwarfs are armed with handweapon, shield, heavy armour, crossbow, leadership 9 and toughness 4.

starlight
10-07-2006, 18:48
One thing though:

Each?!? You painted 3000 points of Snotlings? :eek:

85 Bases averaging 5 Snotlings to a Base.:D Rounded out with my Snotling Warboss:angel:, five Pump Wagons and three Giants. I have enough Snotties to do more bases, but I seldom play over 3K.

They aren't 'Eavy Metal or Golden Demon standard, but they get the job done.:D

HiredSword.
10-07-2006, 21:07
The advantage of DoW as trunks pointed out with the carnisaur idea is that you can pretty much use any theme. If you like the lizardmen minis so much then making reasonable substitutions would make a fluffy list and also unique.

Plus, because of the great range of units there is a pretty limitless amount of different army compsition.

gukal
10-07-2006, 21:26
I'll put in a vote for pure Ogre Kingdoms. As noted, you can use many of the OK units as DOW choices in other armies including your Empire. In this way, your first army and any subsequent armies can benefit from your current selection.

- Gukal

grimgorkgalle
10-07-2006, 22:48
85 Bases averaging 5 Snotlings to a Base.:D Rounded out with my Snotling Warboss:angel:, five Pump Wagons and three Giants. I have enough Snotties to do more bases, but I seldom play over 3K.

They aren't 'Eavy Metal or Golden Demon standard, but they get the job done.:D
:eek:
I know this is off topic, BUT I WANT TO SEE PICTURES of that!!! Love them little uns, and never had the time to get this huge amount of them!!!

Viskrit
10-07-2006, 22:55
I must ask you, starlight: WHY?! :)

All respect to you, though, for your dedication. :)

gorenut
11-07-2006, 04:37
That DoW-OK army sounds extremely fun! If I weren't doing Dwarfs right now, I might consider doing that army myself. An OK Battalion will nicely fill up your special slots and then just add knights, duellists, pikemen and crossbowmen. And perhaps a giant. :cool:

I thought so too, so I'm already starting it. I posted my list here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41458

Any input is appreciated. I have 2 lists in there.

TheWarSmith
11-07-2006, 04:53
I woudl say that DoW seems too similar to empire. The vast majority of your guys are vanilla humans. If you wanna do Ogre Kingdoms, then just do that. You'd probably beat the khorne player over the head with a decently constructed list.

Personally, I'd throw my vote for Tzeentch beast/daemon. It's just a fantastic list. It's got hard hitters, maneuvres, magic, staying power, and ambush tricks. It's all that and a bucket of chips.

If you're a conversion fan, I would suggest Ogres or chaos. They offer the easiest to think of and most fun conversions in my mind.

p.s. gorenut, where have i seen your name before? Seems WAYYYY too familiar.