PDA

View Full Version : Collecting daemons in 40k

Grarik
30-10-2015, 08:02
I've been collecting tyranids for quite a while, but I've reached a bit of an impasse, so I've decided to start a new army. I've been somewhat interested in daemons for a while, and where I play has a fairly decent following of AoS, so now seems to be a good time to start them up.

The theme I was thinking of going with is that 4 heralds, eager to gain more favour in the eyes of their god, have essentially formed a loose alliance to increase their ability to cause chaos and destruction. As such, I have two questions:

1. Is is better to go multi-god, or to focus on one or two? and
2. how important is it to have greater daemons?

The first question is fairly self-explanatory due to my proposed theme. The second question is due to the fact that if the theme has my army led by 4 heralds adding a greater daemon, which would technically outrank a herald, wouldn't quite fit the theme.

So essentially, I'm wondering am I hamstringing myself by following this theme? Where I play tends to be fairly casual, but I still don't want to play an army that is essentially designed to lose.

Latro_
30-10-2015, 10:41
you will have a bit of a job making an effective army balanced between the 4 gods and not including big beasties. This is often the case with a themed fluffy army its the creativity tax :D

It sounds a bit like anything you add to one quarter you are gonna have to kinda fluffy counter balance in the other three to make it 'look right'.

Why not just take all 4 GDs :D you could probably get that in an 1850 list and still have enough pts over for gribblies and it'd look awesome.
S'like 840pts, call it 950 for some added gifts/levels etc.
run as two combined arms detachments
4 big unit of troops from each god - say 600pts

300pts left, grab a unit of flesh hounds, skreamers, drones and fiends... prob gonna adjust the pts of the above to make these more effective.

be a balanced, themed, awesome looking army that should be pretty good with all those troops and big beasties

The other option you could do is go for two gods that hate each other, e.g. khorne + slannesh or Tzeentch + Nurgle and focus a rivalry army around that.

Grarik
30-10-2015, 12:25
That's a bugger, what about a khorne/tzeentch list? Both gods have a very different playstyle, so I was wondering if the ranged spellcasting of tzeentch would match up well with the melee hitting power of khorne

Talon of Anathrax
30-10-2015, 13:22
Khorne/Tzeench isn't bad, but if you're looking to play an alliance of rival gods I'd play Khorne/Slaanesh.
Fast Slaanesh troops as the Hammer: to summon, grab objectives and play the mobility game (hopefully with an Icon on some Seekers to help put the Khornate Anvil in place).
Deadly Khorne troops as the Anvil.

It works quite well, actually!

Grarik
30-10-2015, 16:07
That's not a bad idea, I'd imagine it'd still be worthwhile to have a greater daemon for each god?

wyvirn
30-10-2015, 17:43
I'm I the same boat. My gut instinct is a Khorne Hammer with a Nurgle Anvil. Not trying to win tournaments,but to have a ok W/L ratio in friendly games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grarik
31-10-2015, 12:47
Just out of interest, whats mono-slaanesh like?

CrownAxe
31-10-2015, 13:00
Just out of interest, whats mono-slaanesh like?
Quite playable. Daemon of Slaanesh is just a good versatile rule. The mass amount of rending attacks makes slaanesh effective at dealing with most targets in the game, the extra mobility from fleet and +3" to running makes theme great for objective grabbing and getting into combat reliably. They have easy access to Telepathy which has some of the best psychic powers in the game. And they even have a couple build options that are quite effective (such as slaanesh flying circus)

Inquisitor Kallus
31-10-2015, 14:57
KoS with lvl 2 and 2 greater rewards can be nice, especially if you swap out one for lash of despair. 2D6 str6 shooting attacks is nice at BS6. Ive also had the Masque cause some shenanigans, her songs cant be nullified either, shes a bit tricksy. If you combo her units of Daemonettes and a KoS with some Telepathy powers together they can be really nasty, you just need to get there. Deepstrike and their speed helps. I used seekers, instruments and icons and the look on your opponents face when you drop multiple units around a fast moving unit thats right up in their face on a flank is really cool

gwarsh41
02-11-2015, 19:38
I'm I the same boat. My gut instinct is a Khorne Hammer with a Nurgle Anvil. Not trying to win tournaments,but to have a ok W/L ratio in friendly games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dropping a 15 strong hound squad with a herald, then backing it up with a soul grinder or two, unit of plague drones, some PB, and say, a Dthirster, or max GUO. You have a pretty sweet list.

Eldartank
02-11-2015, 22:00
I've been collecting tyranids for quite a while, but I've reached a bit of an impasse, so I've decided to start a new army. I've been somewhat interested in daemons for a while, and where I play has a fairly decent following of AoS, so now seems to be a good time to start them up.

The theme I was thinking of going with is that 4 heralds, eager to gain more favour in the eyes of their god, have essentially formed a loose alliance to increase their ability to cause chaos and destruction. As such, I have two questions:

1. Is is better to go multi-god, or to focus on one or two? and
2. how important is it to have greater daemons?

The first question is fairly self-explanatory due to my proposed theme. The second question is due to the fact that if the theme has my army led by 4 heralds adding a greater daemon, which would technically outrank a herald, wouldn't quite fit the theme.

So essentially, I'm wondering am I hamstringing myself by following this theme? Where I play tends to be fairly casual, but I still don't want to play an army that is essentially designed to lose.

I really like Khorne, and I really like the Pink Horror models. So I have a mainly Khorne army with all the various types of models, including two units of 20 Bloodletters each. I'm working on a full unit of Pink Horrors, and I have the Changeling (the fancy Pink Horror character with the robe). My army is mainly what I think looks really cool.

Grarik
11-11-2015, 07:07
So I had decided on starting a mono-slaanesh army, but since my brother has a mono-nurgle army, it's gotten me thinking of how a mono-tzeentch force would work. I know that they can be horrible to play against if you go the summoning route, but is that the only way to have a viable tzeentch army?

CrownAxe
11-11-2015, 10:06
So I had decided on starting a mono-slaanesh army, but since my brother has a mono-nurgle army, it's gotten me thinking of how a mono-tzeentch force would work. I know that they can be horrible to play against if you go the summoning route, but is that the only way to have a viable tzeentch army?

Yes that is the only way. 7ed made witchfires focused lists awful since you just can not get enough damage for the points

Kingrick
11-11-2015, 16:13
Yes that is the only way. 7ed made witchfires focused lists awful since you just can not get enough damage for the points

Ya I could see mono tzeentch being hard to play, but I've been debating taking a bunch of Tzeentch heralds for easy divination and supplementing an army without going the summoning route, might work?

Grarik
13-11-2015, 09:48
Ok, I've asked about slaanesh and tzeentch, so I guess I should probably cover all bases and ask about mono-khorne. How does khorne do by itself? I'd imagine that it be similar in style to slaanesh, although not as fast

youngsamwise
13-11-2015, 17:58
Mono khorne is better left to daemonkin as they get a lot of army wide buffs and their detachment allows for spamming heavy support options. If you don't enjoy walkers that is a moot point of course. The biggest drawback is lack of rewards which wrecks heralds and champs.

The best thing in mono khorne based purely on my anecdotal evidence is the axe of khorne. A large unit of flesh hounds with a few buffed up juggernaut heralds wielding an axe and greater etherblade and a locus is terrifying, especially buffed by the grimoire. Support them with a few small units of bloodcrushers with axe wielding champs and a Dthirster. Sprinkle in soul grinders and letters to fill it out...

Your biggest drawback compared to other gods is getting manhandled in the psychic phase. A tzeentch contigent is really a necessary evil to get the mileage out of the other gods. Pink horrors are fantastic for summoning, and heralds are dirt cheap for the divination buffs. Between forewarning and cursed earth you have survivability and with misfortune you have a deadly combo for all those flesh hound attacks. Not to mention prescience for your soul grinders and flesh hounds/kheralds/Dthirster. Just summon the letters and crushers or small flesh hound units if they will be situationally useful. And the tzeentch herald can carry the grimoire so the khorne herald gets his needed weapons.