PDA

View Full Version : HH board game and a gaming question(s) relating to HH

Herkamer63
30-10-2015, 21:19
Well, this has been somewhat of an emotional week for some people. With some happy to see some HH stuff coming in one way or another from GW (in this case a board game), while others are angry because GW has not taken that away from FW fully. Some people like the models and others are not so thrilled about them. All I can say is with this board game, you can make this a start, at least, to get into 30k. My thoughts on the models and game itself? I'm sure the game will be similar to space hulk, which I don't mind at all since I liked SH, and the models look great. Not as posable, but that's of little concern to me. So yeah, this'll be a step in the right direction to get in on HH.

Now, for the second part of the thread. I have been toying around with the idea of getting into 30k. Only problem I have, other than money but that's not an issue, no one in my group is in it, so I haven't bought any of the models for myself. That's until the board game comes out of course, for me and the group. First off, is book one of HH also the main rule book or does the whole FW series, each book, have all the rules? Second, is there an army that is smaller but pretty tough and fun to use? Like I've done with AoS, I would prefer to keep my army small but effective. Storage and cash would be less of a burden. Just let me know and post your thoughts about GW'S HH game. Thanks!

Spiney Norman
31-10-2015, 00:17
Well, this has been somewhat of an emotional week for some people. With some happy to see some HH stuff coming in one way or another from GW (in this case a board game), while others are angry because GW has not taken that away from FW fully. Some people like the models and others are not so thrilled about them. All I can say is with this board game, you can make this a start, at least, to get into 30k. My thoughts on the models and game itself? I'm sure the game will be similar to space hulk, which I don't mind at all since I liked SH, and the models look great. Not as posable, but that's of little concern to me. So yeah, this'll be a step in the right direction to get in on HH.

Now, for the second part of the thread. I have been toying around with the idea of getting into 30k. Only problem I have, other than money but that's not an issue, no one in my group is in it, so I haven't bought any of the models for myself. That's until the board game comes out of course, for me and the group. First off, is book one of HH also the main rule book or does the whole FW series, each book, have all the rules? Second, is there an army that is smaller but pretty tough and fun to use? Like I've done with AoS, I would prefer to keep my army small but effective. Storage and cash would be less of a burden. Just let me know and post your thoughts about GW'S HH game. Thanks!

Okay -> first off books, FW has produced five big black books so far with various rules scattered between them, they are insanely expensive (something like 70+ a time) and while I do think they are worth it I would recommend picking them up as and when you can afford them if you want the background/scenarios they contain.

The essential army list information is collected together in FWs "Red Books", of which there are three, one which contains the space marine legion army list, one that contains the rules for the first twelve legions to get rules (Sons of Horus, Emps Children, death guard, world eaters, word bearers, alpha legion, iron warriors, night lords, Ravenguard, salamanders, iron hands and imp. Fists) and a third one which contains all of the mechanicum stuff.

Word bearers have had their list updated as of book 5 (Tempest) so if you want to run them with the most up to date rules you will need that book instead of the Legions of Istvann red book. The ultramarine legion rules are also contained in book 5 which is the only place you can currently find them.

Now for a small-model count army there are two things I would recommend;
Firstly you could go for a space marine army using the pride of the legion rite of war, this allows you to field terminator and veteran squads as troops choices and has often been regarded as the cheapest/quickest way to get into heresy gaming. Pretty much any legion will work with this Rite, add a few vehicles and you're good to go.

Your other option would be to go for a mechanicum force that majors on castallax and thallax, the downside here is that you would not be able to use the plastic betrayal of Calth box to kick-start your force, so it would most likely end up costing you a lot more.

Ben
31-10-2015, 11:26
Betrayal at Calth using the Pride of the Legion Rite of War easily gets you the following:

Praetor in Cataphractii armour - about 150 points
Chaplain - about 100 points
Terminator squad - about 225 points
Contemptor - about 200 points
10 man veteran tactical squad - about 250 points
20 man tacti blob - 260-270 points.

You can make about a 1250 point force from the Battle for Calth set. Add a rhino for your vet squad and an apothecary for your tacti blob and then thinking about adding some tanks and then a second termi squad, tacti blob or heavy support squad.

Veteran tactical squads being able to take two heavy or special weapons at ten men (so two heavy bolters with suspensors or two missile launchers with suspensors or two heavy flamers). They come with additional close combat weapons as standard, making them good in assaults.

Veteran tacticals with the right weapon options are like standard marines on steroids. Choosing a special rule, being able to fire heavy weapons on the move at half range, being able to take two heavy flamers in a squad.

Bob Hunk
03-11-2015, 12:57
With some happy to see some HH stuff coming in one way or another from GW (in this case a board game), while others are angry because GW has not taken that away from FW fully.

:eek:

If you're talking specifically about the rules, then I haven't seen a single person express that opinion! :eek: Personally I was relieved that GW seem to be leaving FW to carry on with the rules rather than taking it over themselves. I know a lot of other people feel the same way too. :)

And yes, as Spiney says, 30K rules-wise you could get started with the 30 "red book" Space Marine Legion list. :)

agurus1
04-11-2015, 21:58
Seconded very relieved to see the rules seem to be left to FW.

Spiney Norman
05-11-2015, 08:59
Yeah, I mean is there really anyone who has read a rule book (or rules 'page' in AoS' case) produced by the GW design studio in the last five years that didn't think 'I hope that these people never again write rules for a game I actually care about'?

Forgeworld seem to be the last bastion of hobbiests left in a company enslaved to soulless corporate targets, if I received an email today from Alan Bligh telling me he was planning a coup d'etat to take over GW main and would I join the cause, I would be on the first train to Nottingham.

williamsond
05-11-2015, 10:05
Yeah, I mean is there really anyone who has read a rule book (or rules 'page' in AoS' case) produced by the GW design studio in the last five years that didn't think 'I hope that these people never again write rules for a game I actually care about'?

Forgeworld seem to be the last bastion of hobbiests left in a company enslaved to soulless corporate targets, if I received an email today from Alan Bligh telling me he was planning a coup d'etat to take over GW main and would I join the cause, I would be on the first train to Nottingham.

I 100% agree with Norman (this may be a sign of the impending apocolypse I'll have to check with the local shaman) rules are best taken away from the corporate bean counter and left with the genuine hobbiests. my only worry is that GW will see the success of teh HH game as a reason to start messing with forgeworld more than they have in the past, the last thing we need is that bunch of muppets sticking their ore where its not needed.

agurus1
05-11-2015, 21:41
We should form a volunteer brigade to stand watch outside FW headquarters and beat off any GW scrubs they send our way ;)

DuskRaider
05-11-2015, 22:36
The last thing we need is HH turning into a cheese fest garbage that 40K is.

de Selby
06-11-2015, 00:04
Can you field a 30k veteran tactical squad with a sergeant, heavy weapon, and special weapon?

Depending on the painting, that unit would be a wysiwyg legal troops choice in 30k space marines, 40k space marines, 40k dark angels, 40k blood angels, and 40k chaos space marines (I think)???

Spiney Norman
06-11-2015, 00:24
Can you field a 30k veteran tactical squad with a sergeant, heavy weapon, and special weapon?

Depending on the painting, that unit would be a wysiwyg legal troops choice in 30k space marines, 40k space marines, 40k dark angels, 40k blood angels, and 40k chaos space marines (I think)???

Yes I'm certain you can (that's actually part of the point in veteran squads, they get the heavy/special options which regular tactical squads don't).

In addition, if you are using the 'Chosen Duty' or 'Pride of the Legion' Rites of war, you can take veteran tacticals as troops.

de Selby
06-11-2015, 01:14
Huh. If they release the tacs separately that would make it the most widely usable (in terms of number of armies that can field it straight out of the box) troops kit they have ever made.

logan054
07-11-2015, 18:09
For me the set looks like a nice way to get into 30k. The price has always put me off. I could see me being very tempted by a world eaters or blood angels army

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Pink Horror
08-11-2015, 04:49
We should form a volunteer brigade to stand watch outside FW headquarters and beat off any GW scrubs they send our way ;)

To paraphrase Peter Griffin:

I'll beat a guy, off a guy, but not beat off a guy. I'm married.

Sotek
08-11-2015, 12:24
My only concern about the Calth box is that while its a nice starting point you still need the $$$$ vehicles from FW

Getifa Ubazza
08-11-2015, 14:00
I have never really been interested in 30k to be honest, but I could see me getting 2 of these boxed sets and doing one as Ultras and one as Bearers and just using 40k rules for them. If the 30k rules are not to expensive, I might get them.

With that in mind, someone mentioned that book 5 had the lists for Ultras and Bearers in it. What about the 30k rules themselves? Are they in book 5 or would I need to get them separately?

Thanks

BTJ
08-11-2015, 15:30
Book one or the red book are mandatory, the rest just add to them

logan054
08-11-2015, 16:01
My only concern about the Calth box is that while its a nice starting point you still need the $$$$ vehicles from FW
Rather than just needing Fw for everything

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

TwistedBishop
08-11-2015, 16:35
Speaking of the rule books, wasn't there an announcement that the red books will get new editions in 2016?

I'm also looking to get into 30K with Betrayal at Calth. The only problem is I'm concerned that buying the Horus Heresy books will end up being a waste if they'll be getting revamped editions alongside the red books as well.

agurus1
08-11-2015, 17:56
Revamped probably just means "edited for FAQ's and some of the few units that came out after the originals were published

MasterCrafted
08-11-2015, 21:03
Do the red books have any missions or are they just army lists?

DuskRaider
08-11-2015, 21:25
They'll be updating the Red Book to include any new generic units that have been released post-Isstvan as well as any Legions released after that point. Both the Crusade Book and the Isstvan Legions Book only include the rules, no fluff (other than a little blurb on the side bar) or missions / scenarios. Which really sucks, because I guess there's a great Kill Team style game in Extinction.

Spiney Norman
08-11-2015, 22:13
They'll be updating the Red Book to include any new generic units that have been released post-Isstvan as well as any Legions released after that point. Both the Crusade Book and the Isstvan Legions Book only include the rules, no fluff (other than a little blurb on the side bar) or missions / scenarios. Which really sucks, because I guess there's a great Kill Team style game in Extinction.

Have they actually said that they will update the red books with new legions? It makes sense to update where rules have been superseded by more recent ones (thinking word bearers here), but if they're intending to end up with the rules and unique units for all 18 legions in one volume that's going to be a very big red book indeed, the Isstvan legions book is already quite a bit thicker than the legion army list book and it only contains around half the legions.

I assume when they've got rules out for all the legions they'll probably put out a 'Loyalist Legions' and 'Traitor Legions' red book to keep them a bit more portable.

DuskRaider
09-11-2015, 23:33
Yeah, at some point they'll be re-releasing it. I'd say post-Prospero, though, so we have at least a year. I was hoping for something cheaper, as I just bought the Isstvan & Crusade books this past spring, but if it has the updated rules and whatnot, whatever. I'm still hoping for a Questoris Knight book at some point, since they're not in the Red Mechanicum book.