PDA

View Full Version : What was "clipping" and how was it resolved?

Vulgarsty
31-10-2015, 10:15
I seem to recall clipping being a gamey issue in 7th, I think it was something to do with corner to corner shenanigans. Anyone recall exactly what the problem was and why we didn't seem to hear about it in 8th?

theunwantedbeing
31-10-2015, 10:30
I seem to recall clipping being a gamey issue in 7th, I think it was something to do with corner to corner shenanigans. Anyone recall exactly what the problem was and why we didn't seem to hear about it in 8th?

8th has rules in place that all but prevent clipping from happening. (maximise frontage and essentially infinite charge movement)
7th did not. (neither did 6th for that matter)

Clipping was simply having 1 model from your unit only ending out in contact with 1 model from the enemy unit, in a frontal charge.
Often this was deliberate to allow a unit to win the ensuing combat by default as there weren't enough attacks able to be made by either unit to change the result of the static combat bonus.

Mr_Rose
31-10-2015, 10:41
Note that, despite the flexibility of charges in 8th, offset charges (like a clip, but thicker) can still occur due to terrain and whatnot. This is normal and should not be "corrected" by sliding units to full facing, at least not in the initial round of combat; should the combat last more than one round, the post-resolution manoeuvres will usually take care of that.

Vulgarsty
31-10-2015, 17:20
thanks both. the maximising frontage rule seems more bloody, more satisfactory (as we are in the business of fighting rather than exploiting poorly written rules - or should be and like you say largely eliminates this. I think the terrain bit is fair enough as that is more due to circumstances than gaminess.

Greyshadow
01-11-2015, 21:26
I thought the 8th Ed solution to this was very elegant. The sliding convention in 7th is a good way to sort out clipping issue I found.