PDA

View Full Version : New Tau codex usable without Kauyon?

Dkoz
31-10-2015, 20:02
So I was thinking of purchasing the new Tau codex but I wanted to know if it's usable without the Kauyon supplement or do I need the supplement so I can know what formations I'm allowed to use etc....?

Okuto
31-10-2015, 22:31
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/10/gws-change-the-tau-rules-experiment.html

Read the above, it'll answer all your questions

MajorWesJanson
01-11-2015, 01:53
Personally, I find 6th Ed Tau codex + Kauyon a better value. Fluff book, rules for everything new Tau get, and rules for Marines (if you play them)
I'm not sure if the new Tau codex has the fortifications, but it has everything else Tau rules wise from Kauyon.

lantzkev
01-11-2015, 08:43
doesnt' really answer the question, most bols articles are just reashes of bs **** from forums or uninformed guesses.

the article author specifically didn't actually read both books.

SuperHappyTime
01-11-2015, 18:05
doesnt' really answer the question, most bols articles are just reashes of bs **** from forums or uninformed guesses.

the article author specifically didn't actually read both books.

The legitimate question isn't whether it is or is not usable. The question is whether Kauyon + Old Codex really has everything the 7th Ed book contains for a Tau player, and vice versa. (Codex Bike and Jump Pack Marines withstanding)

From what I heard, there were formations in the Codex not present from the book. Again, rumor speak though.

Gangremond
02-11-2015, 00:19
The legitimate question isn't whether it is or is not usable. The question is whether Kauyon + Old Codex really has everything the 7th Ed book contains for a Tau player, and vice versa. (Codex Bike and Jump Pack Marines withstanding)

From what I heard, there were formations in the Codex not present from the book. Again, rumor speak though.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Codex-Tau-Empire-2015-EN

Description
For the Greater Good!

An update/expansion to the currently-existing Codex: Tau Empire, this book contains rules and backgrounds for several new experimental weapons platforms - should you already own Codex: Tau Empire, we recommend purchasing War Zone Damocles: Kauyon - this features all the new expanded content, totally unabridged, with an awesome narrative campaign!

Using speed, resilience and hyper-advanced technology to win their carefully-chosen battles, the Tau Empire brings enlightenment at the barrel of a gun, absolutely convinced of the justness of their cause. Striving for the Greater Good, they venture ever further on their mission to assimilate or annihilate everything that stands in their path. Guided by their secretive Ethereal caste, led by immense battlesuits and supported by graceful, sleek gunships, the Tau use their cunning and tactical nous to catch enemies in carefully planned traps and lightning ambushes, obliterating the foe before they even realise war is upon them.

This 128-page hardback book contains:

The story of the Tau Empire, their philosophies, technologies and their rapid ascension to the status of galaxy-striding warriors;
A showcase of beautifully-painted Citadel miniatures, demonstrating colour schemes used by the Tau and their auxillaries;
A comprehensive army list, helping you to bring the enlightenment of the Greater Good to the battlefields of the 41st millenium;
Lists of stunningly advanced wargear - pulse weaponry, drones, massive walking tanks - the Tau have it all;
New formations, detachment and Warlord Traits.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/War-Zone-Damocles-Kauyon-EN

Description
Already a hardened Tau Empire collector? We recommend purchasing this, rather than the updated Codex: Tau Empire - this book contains ALL the new rules and formations for the new miniatures, totally unabridged.

The Tau Empire has invaded Prefectia with an unprecedented display of force, intending to harness the incredible geo-electric potential of this fortress world to power their increasing incursions into the domain of the Imperium. Of course, this aggression cannot go unanswered - the Adeptus Astartes soon launch a blistering planetstrike that quickly becomes an uncontrollable, world-spanning war. They may have met their match, however, in the Fire Caste’s greatest mind; Commander Shadowsun, heroine of the Greater Good and master of the strategy known as Kauyon.

This two-book set contains a 120-page hardback narrative book, detailing the struggles over the fortress world of Prefectia between the forces of the Tau Empire and the Adeptus Astartes; and an 88-page hardback rulebook containing all the new rules content from Codex: Tau Empire - buy this, and you’ll be totally up to speed with all the new Tau miniatures.

Read less -

So the way I read it, 6th edition Tau + Kauyon has everything in the 7th edition Tau codex + extra fluff and stuff for Raven Guard and White Scars

Losing Command
02-11-2015, 07:15
The local Tau player told me that some adjustments to weapon profiles, and to which models they are available, are only in the 'updated' Tau codex and not in the campaign book.

red_drake
02-11-2015, 16:10
As someone who has both.
The only thing the Kauyon book has that the new 7th ed codex doesn't is the tidewall and its formations.

Everything else is the same (old codex + kauyon vs new codex)