PDA

View Full Version : Rule Clarification - AoS - Skull Cannons of Khorne

nanogasn
04-11-2015, 00:44
Have a question regarding the Skull Cannons of Khorne for Age of Sigmar.

On its stats page it has a Missile Weapon - Burning Skull and two Melee Weapons - Hellblades and Gnashing Maw.

Here is the ability from the warscroll which I'm trying to figure out..

"Grind their Bones, Seize their Skulls: Enemies seized by a Skull Cannon's jaws are used to power the infernal machine, their skulls taken and used as fiery munitions. If the Skull Cannon's Gnashing Maw causes any wounds in the combat phase, at the end of that phase you can make a Burning Skull attack as though it were your shooting phase."

My questions is, can the Cannon shoot its missile weapon normally during the Shooting Phase, or can it only use its shooting ability at the end of the combat phase and if its Gnashing Maws wound an enemy?

Curious to hear your interpretations.

bigbiggles
04-11-2015, 00:53
It takes a shot in the shooting phase just like all other models with a ranged attack. It also gets an extra shot in the combat phase if it causes wounds with its jaws.

Yrch
04-11-2015, 01:03
Yep, it can shoot its canon like a normal missile weapon during the shooting phase, and an additional shot if it wounded with its maw during combat.
Most important thing, it just has to wound unlike a bunch of others abilities that have to kill a model.

nanogasn
04-11-2015, 03:00
Thanks for the info. The line, "Enemies seized by a Skull Cannon's jaws are used to power the infernal machine" was throwing me off as it kinda implied it needed to kill first in order to fuel the cannon. Then again, just bring some severed heads and you're good to go! :evilgrin:

Venoms
04-11-2015, 09:44
Hi guys,

I've have some Warhammer 8th edition questions, but was unable to start a new thread, so I hope I can find some help here.

Questions:

Characters –Are there any limitation on characters joining another unit? Can a character on a monstrous mount like a Black Dragon join a unit of foot soldiers? The purpose would be to gain protection from archers or being targeted? Everything I've read indicates this is ok, and can also be done during the movement phase. But I never see folks bring their monstrous mounts into units of infantry in battle reports, so I can't help but wonder if I'm missing something? To me it seems like it could be good protection at the cost of mobility?

Characters – Other than close combat, how can characters that are within other units be targeted? Some characters have the "Sniper" skill. War Machines can trace a line to hit them? Same with Direct Damage or Magic Missile Spells? But they should be safe from archers or most ranged weapons while within a unit correct? I know archer fire takes from the rear first when it comes to hitting a champion, standard bearer, etc. so I assume the same logic applies to characters and they would be normally hit last once everyone else is dead? Although the down side is high armor characters would be much more likely to deflect incoming attacks as well. How does this work out?

Line of Sight – Can archers shoot through other units (enemy or their own) to another target unit on the other side of them? Do forests count as soft or hard cover?

Mounts – Mounts have their own Wound total, do you have to roll to see if you hit the rider or the mount for Calvary as you would do with characters? Or are the Mount’s Wounds irrelevant and hits/deaths are only based on the rider (unlike characters)?

Overrun – If killing an entire enemy unit on the first round of a charge, but not all your units got to attack yet, when opting to overrun, do the remaining attackers still get their opportunity for attack if charging into a second unit in the same round?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!!!

SimaoSegunda
05-11-2015, 16:46
Hi guys,

I've have some Warhammer 8th edition questions, but was unable to start a new thread, so I hope I can find some help here.

Questions:

Characters –Are there any limitation on characters joining another unit? Can a character on a monstrous mount like a Black Dragon join a unit of foot soldiers? The purpose would be to gain protection from archers or being targeted? Everything I've read indicates this is ok, and can also be done during the movement phase. But I never see folks bring their monstrous mounts into units of infantry in battle reports, so I can't help but wonder if I'm missing something? To me it seems like it could be good protection at the cost of mobility?

Characters – Other than close combat, how can characters that are within other units be targeted? Some characters have the "Sniper" skill. War Machines can trace a line to hit them? Same with Direct Damage or Magic Missile Spells? But they should be safe from archers or most ranged weapons while within a unit correct? I know archer fire takes from the rear first when it comes to hitting a champion, standard bearer, etc. so I assume the same logic applies to characters and they would be normally hit last once everyone else is dead? Although the down side is high armor characters would be much more likely to deflect incoming attacks as well. How does this work out?

Line of Sight – Can archers shoot through other units (enemy or their own) to another target unit on the other side of them? Do forests count as soft or hard cover?

Mounts – Mounts have their own Wound total, do you have to roll to see if you hit the rider or the mount for Calvary as you would do with characters? Or are the Mount’s Wounds irrelevant and hits/deaths are only based on the rider (unlike characters)?

Overrun – If killing an entire enemy unit on the first round of a charge, but not all your units got to attack yet, when opting to overrun, do the remaining attackers still get their opportunity for attack if charging into a second unit in the same round?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!!!

You probably should have put these questions in an 8th ed thread, rather than an AoS one. That said...

All these answers are in the rulebook.

1) Monsters cannot join units, whether there is a character riding them or not.

2) Ballistic Skill based shooting targets the unit, not individuals within a unit, unless there are fewer than 5 rank and file models left (including musician and standard, but not champion), after which hits are assigned equally to each model in the unit, and a model cannot be assigned a 2nd hit until everyone has been assigned one.

Template weapons, on the other hand, target models under the template. However, characters caught by one get to make a Look out, Sir! test against being hit. Read the Look out, Sir! rules for more details.

3) The game uses True Line of Sight (TLoS). So you should always get down for a models-eye-view to see what they can see.

4) Mounts wounds are only counted separately for characters riding Monsters. Any other model, including Characters on Monsterous Beasts etc, just uses the highest toughness and wounds characteristic they have, usually the mounts.

5) It doesn't matter who has fought previously, an overrun is treated as a new charge, and no attacks from either unit can be made until the following combat phase. The exception to this is if you overrun into an existing combat that hasn't been fought this round, in which case the charging unit will get to attack normally, even with models who have already attacked this phase.