PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Troop-Heavy Wood Elves....

Your Mum Rang
08-07-2006, 12:28
Okay. A simple no muss no fuss army. Strong and able to both take damage and dish it out!

Characters:
Atler Noble: Great Weapon - Helm of the Hunt - Hail of Doom Arrow - Light Armour @ 156pts
Branchwraith: Lvl 1 - Cluster of Radiants @ 140pts

Core:
10 Glade Guard: Musician @ 126pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts

Special:
5 Wild Riders @ 130pts
5 Wild Riders @ 130pts
4 Treekin @ 260pts
4 Treekin @ 260pts

Rare:
Great Eagle @ 50pts
Great Eagle @ 50pts

Your Mum Rang
10-07-2006, 19:08
No takers?

Wreckage
10-07-2006, 21:26
Okay. A simple no muss no fuss army. Strong and able to both take damage and dish it out!

Characters:
Atler Noble: Great Weapon - Helm of the Hunt - Hail of Doom Arrow - Light Armour @ 156pts

Core:
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
That's a lot of Dryads. The field will basically be covered in them.
Special:
5 Wild Riders @ 130pts
5 Wild Riders @ 130pts
4 Treekin @ 260pts
4 Treekin @ 260pts

Rare:
Great Eagle @ 50pts
Great Eagle @ 50pts

This list actually looks more "Special" heavy even though you have more core units. 780 points is a lot to spend on special. Im not really sure how you intend to line this army up for battle. Glade Guard, Tree Kin and Dryads all take up tons of deployment room, and you have tons of them. Before buying the models make paper cut-outs of each unit and try to deploy them in a typical deployment zone (1'x6'). I think you'll have a tough time.

I would probably drop a bunch of dryads (3 units), 1 unit of Tree Kin, 1 Great Eagle, and buy yourself a Lord (of choice) and a Treeman.

Your Mum Rang
11-07-2006, 14:26
To make things easier on setting up how about swapping the Treekin for Treemen and dropping the Eagles?

But as for deploying them I was thinking of setting it up like this:

Wild Riders - Dryads - Glade Guard - Treekin - Dryads - Treekin - Glade Guard - Dryads - Treekin

...with the rest behind this line. But I'll take up your idea of making cut-outs!

Wreckage
12-07-2006, 03:26
To make things easier on setting up how about swapping the Treekin for Treemen and dropping the Eagles?

But as for deploying them I was thinking of setting it up like this:

Wild Riders - Dryads - Glade Guard - Treekin - Dryads - Treekin - Glade Guard - Dryads - Treekin

...with the rest behind this line. But I'll take up your idea of making cut-outs!

I think you should keep one unit of Tree Kin and swap the other for a Treeman. You could make him an Ancient, which would open up some other doors.

You may find yourself wanting some fast cav, or flying cav. Then again you may not.

I would keep one Eagle, they are easy to deploy and move, and come in handy a number of times disproportionate to their cost.

Glad I could help. :)

shadowprince
12-07-2006, 03:38
Your gonna get smoked u have a wopping three dispel dice, low toughnees, this is completly unoriginal and poorly done. Drop some drads and get a mage, So far you have he worng mentality for elfs if you want a lot f troops go get skaven or orcs. Swarms do not work for any elfs. Most of this will be dead beofre it sees combat.

Your Mum Rang
12-07-2006, 13:02
Well the majority of the army is toughness four. Only T3 things are the Wild Riders and Glade Guard so erm.... whatever.

But I am concerned about magic defense. How about swapping the Atler for a Spellsinger w/ Scroll and Stave? Then again I HATE having to spend points on magic defense.

Could you elaborate on "unoriginal and poorly done". I AM trying a horde of Dryads approach. It boots nothing to all go for the same approach to an army resulting in every army looking the same =/

Now as for magic defense. Here's a new list that relies on 4 things to help against magic: Magic Resistance on main CC units (Wild Riders and Wardancers, mage hunting ability (Pageant of Shrikes, Waywatchers, Atler Noble), numbers (Dryads) and tough screens (Dryads again).

Characters:
Atler Noble: Light Armour - Great Weapon - Hail of Doom Arrow - Helm of the Hunt @ 156pts
Branchwraith: Lvl 1 - Cluster of Radiants - Pageant of Shrikes @ 165pts

Core:
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts

Special:
8 Wardancers: Musician @ 151pts
8 Wardancers: Musician @ 151pts
5 Wild Riders @ 130pts
5 Wild Riders @ 130pts

Rare:
6 Waywatchers @ 144pts
6 Waywatchers @ 144pts

1999pts

shadowprince
13-07-2006, 00:45
It is a run of the mill forest spirit army pretty much, with a few slight changes. Instead swaping the unit of treekin for wardancers. It is a very nice, but by now good players quikly recognize the problem with these. The Wardancers and wildriders which I assue are there for flanking purposes will be nuked due to your complete lack of magic defense. Then you completly rely on wounds for the win which isn't a bad thing, but with your lack of magic and only minimul shooting I am doubtful of the ability to wittle your opponents down. Likewise, Dryads are good. but a horde tactic for skirmishing elfs is not. A shooty army such as Skaven Empire or dwarfs have the strngth to quikly do away with the dryads, were as calvary army such as Brettonia, Empire, high elfs, and Chaos can ignore a lot of their damage. Also finally magic heavy armies, such as SAD, Seer council, Tzeentch, will utterly desimate. And unded will also drastically hurt your forces now being able to summon at will.

The idea of a large amount of elfs is good in thought but rarly in practice. You picked elfs it isn't about the numbers but how the units work together.

Suggestions at this point you have lost the ability to stay out of combat, till when you want to, becuase with the lack of magic defense it is the safest place. I suggest getting a treeman at least as this will draw a lot of fire and can take it so mabey it will by you time. Also pick up at least 1 elf mage with two dispel scrolls. I know this is cliche but it will also help to by you enough time to try and get into comabt. also drop 1 unit of drayds and spread them around, then drop something else and get two small 3 units of eight and 4 units of 10

Your Mum Rang
13-07-2006, 13:06
Good point about magic defense. I forgot that some armies rely on it (undead) and a good magic defense can help a lot. Very good advice too!

A lot of players tend to prefer Treekin to Treemen as you ahve more wounds/attacks to go around for fewer points which I think can be very handy.

WE also have a good, solid magic defense if you take a Lvl 3/4 with Wand of Wych Elm (re-roll all dispel attempts) and a Dispel Scroll so I'll probably integrate these into the list. How's this list?

Characters:
Spellweaver: Lvl 4 - Dispel Scroll - Wand of Wych Elm @ 330pts

Core:
5 Glade Riders: Musician @ 129pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts
8 Dryads @ 96pts

Special:
5 Wild Riders @ 130pts
5 Wild Riders @ 130pts
3 Treekin @ 195pts
3 Treekin @ 195pts

Rare:
Great Eagle @ 50pts
Great Eagle @ 50pts

Leaving me 15pts to spare...

Wreckage
13-07-2006, 21:27
Good point about magic defense. I forgot that some armies rely on it (undead) and a good magic defense can help a lot. Very good advice too!

A lot of players tend to prefer Treekin to Treemen as you ahve more wounds/attacks to go around for fewer points which I think can be very handy.

WE also have a good, solid magic defense if you take a Lvl 3/4 with Wand of Wych Elm (re-roll all dispel attempts) and a Dispel Scroll so I'll probably integrate these into the list. How's this list?

In my limited experience, I've regretted taking the Wand of Wych Elm over 2 additional dispel scrolls. If you roll the correct number of dice to dispel a spell a reroll is not usually needed. I found myself trying to skimp on on dice per spell, figuring I got two tries at it. (And subsequently not rolling high enough either time) All in all I think this item is hyped-up more than it ought to be.

Tree Kin indeed have more attacks and wounds, but they are considerabley less maneuverable, not stubborn, have no shooting attack, have no bound spell, and do not cause terror. I find the Treeman the better performer.

shadowprince
14-07-2006, 00:34
that is much better. I like the divination orb though as it really helps against magic heavier armies. Giveing you an unlimeted dispel dice for spells useing four dice or more.

Dwarf pound for pound
14-07-2006, 05:42
I agree with shadowprince, it is quite easy to kill dryads with a shooty army, from experiance, picking up a good magic Defense is a good start to any army

popisdead
14-07-2006, 22:51
You're goign to get pwned in the magic phase unless you dont' play people with magic. You dont' get your Forest Spirit save vs magic.

Give your alter a sheild for a 4+ vs missle fire.

4 strong treekin might be excessive, take musicians in the WR unit they are free.

No treeman is weak as you're replacing them witt a lot of frontage.