PDA

View Full Version : Do you have house rules for using 30k in 40k and vice versa?

murgel2006
07-11-2015, 19:33
Hi there,

I was wondering what house rules do you use when using 30k equipment/units in 40k games and do you use 40k rules/equipment or units in 30k games?

i.e.
we have a rule that any equipment from 30k can breakdown during use in 40k. So you can use a Volkite weapon but the house rule forces you to roll an extra die, on a 1 it breaks down and will not function after this shot for the rest of the game.
30k Tanks etc. are treated as always being in dangerous terrain.
And so on.

What are you using?

Banville
07-11-2015, 20:55
Nothing. No house rules needed. The points cost of most stuff is all the balancing we need in our club. Also, Legions don't benefit from atsknf so watch as that twenty man Marine squad gets hit by dedicated assault units, loses the combat and then gets run down. That's a lot of points wiped off the table.

Navar
07-11-2015, 23:58
I agree with Banville I will post a longer message later but I have been running Iron Hands from 30K for years and my main opponent is Orks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

murgel2006
08-11-2015, 08:40
Nothing. No house rules needed. ...
Agreed, there is no need to have them for a balanced game. However this is not merely about balance but mostly about how to make it "fluffy", to make it feel right. The narrative if you want.

*a 30k army just came out of Warp* sure gets boring soon.

melgorth
08-11-2015, 10:05
Before I say too much, can I ask do ye use any other house rules for 30K armies in addition too those two? Because if it's not a matter of balance, it's nice how these 'fluffy' rules are conveniently detrimental, especially considering that 30K lists generally built far more fluffy than a lot of 40K lists I see these days. I mean if you are going by fluff, then you should be using Movie Marine stats as well.

Anyways, one house rule I would like to try out when playing against Orks with my 30K forces would be to give Ork Boyz the Nobz stats, give the Nobz and Meganobz the Warboss stats, and then have custom Warboss rules with close to Primarch stats, all with appropriate cost increases. Increase all min and max unit sizes as well. This would represent the Orks as they were during the Great Crusade Era and would make for some great battles I think.

murgel2006
08-11-2015, 16:20
Before I say too much, can I ask do ye use any other house rules for 30K armies in addition too those two? Because if it's not a matter of balance, it's nice how these 'fluffy' rules are conveniently detrimental, especially considering that 30K lists generally built far more fluffy than a lot of 40K lists I see these days. I mean if you are going by fluff, then you should be using Movie Marine stats as well.

Anyways, one house rule I would like to try out when playing against Orks with my 30K forces would be to give Ork Boyz the Nobz stats, give the Nobz and Meganobz the Warboss stats, and then have custom Warboss rules with close to Primarch stats, all with appropriate cost increases. Increase all min and max unit sizes as well. This would represent the Orks as they were during the Great Crusade Era and would make for some great battles I think.

Well those two rules were the ones a friend used when he played my 40k vanilla marines. And I didn't think them to be detrimental to anything.
Perhaps I was not clear, fluff in this case is not "written" but along the lines of "this stuff is in use for a few thousand years! Its not in prime condition any more".
We do know that there is no issue in going 30k vs. 40k when it comes to playability or balance and we have straight games as well as those "modified".
I do not own any 30k stuff currently, besides a few models (dreaghnouts). Frankly I don't even know much about the rules besides some a few pdfs from FW.

Okuto
09-11-2015, 04:37
We usually don't house rule anything....my regular opponents are 30k players, iron hands, emperor's children and ultramarines. Fluff-wise it isn't much of any issue to throw my renegade guard at them, I'm either a non compliant human faction or cultists. It really hasnt been much of an issue

I'm in the process of building a "proper" 30k militia list to convert over but one project at a time. The militia list is just a nice way to dip my toes in

HammerofThunor
10-11-2015, 23:13
I generally play my 30k against 40k. But nids are just a random alien force, etc. Don't really worry about it.