PDA

View Full Version : Post your reviews of Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth!

The_Real_Chris
16-11-2015, 11:41
There is a smattering of reviews out there, I thought it would be helpful for those thinking of getting the game (like me) to read others thoughts on it in one place. (A thread with prices and where to buy would also be good rather than it being lost in the price moaning thread. Darksphere seems the best int eh UK btw, but are sold out it seems currently.) And no comments on the future of GW being just space marines...

I dropped into GW Uxbridge on Saturday, picked up the two white dwarfs to drop in the box for if/when I do get it. Saw a game in progress just before closing. Seemed straight forward, fairly simple moving, shooting and combat, mixed up with the cunning use of cards. Nothing innovative, then again Marine vs Marine rarely is! I thought it gave a good sense of legion marines battling it out and hope to get a play soon.

The special weapon effects seemed quite important and I suspect multiple extras/mag weapons would give the best selection options. Though as this seems destined for seperate plastics release, that could be sorted later.

The models were the normal quality associated with GWs marine plastics, and probably to my jaded self seemed a bit bigger than before (scale creep is hard wired into my brain when looking at GW stuff). If I can afford the plunge I will see if I can re-base on either clear plastic bases or failing that the sci fi plastic bases I have left over from doing Space Crusade (http://www.champindustries.net/bases.html).

jamesmhebert
16-11-2015, 17:45
Here's the most thorough review I've seen yet

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/back-in-the-future-a-review-of-the-horus-heresy-betrayal-at-calth-from-games-workshop/

memitchell747
16-11-2015, 20:09
I've fondled the components and played the introductory scenario. If you want the miniatures (and they are mighty nice), the game is a bargain! You not only get 38 excellent, plastic Horus Heresy vibe mini's, they are generic. You don't have to trade your Ultramarines to your buddy for his Word Bearers. You can use them all. Or, paint them up as Salamanders or Emperor's Children (the Horus Heresy happened before Chaos took full hold of the traitor legions. It's quite plausible they haven't grown spikes and tentacles, etc.). It's also plausible your Chaos marines have retained their original "look" in the Warp and can still play as CSM's in 40K. If you want the mini's the game is a good deal

If you don't, it's up to the person to determine if $150 for a game with miniatures is worth the money. If GW had made the game with recycled Dark Vengeance miniature sprues, it would have still cost $100. If anybody else made a similar game, it would cost $75 to $100. Me, I bought just the game without miniatures for $20, because I have enough 40K mini's to make it work.

The "forget the miniatures" answer is the game is slick and quick. It's fun. It's somewhat challenging. Some folks will love it. I suspect most will like it at best. I don't think it will be the new Space Hulk. It will be the most accessible recent boardgame, because it plays like a boardgame, not a miniatures game on a board. Ironically, I think 40K is so abstract it plays more like a boardgame on a tabletop, than a miniatures game. I really believe it will be easy to port Betrayal at Calth to the tabletop (Age of Sigmar style).

You have been warned.

Obake123
16-11-2015, 21:19
I'm being cautious, bought the game without the figures. I'll play it with my existing collection, then go out and get the full set if I like the way it plays.

Is this a stand alone game or is GW intending to bring out expansions?

I'm hoping for more cards / characters from the other legions and plenty of scenarios in White Dwarf or available to download. Does anyone know if this is planned or not? Can't seem to find out one way or the other.

de Selby
18-11-2015, 21:44
Did WD have a scenario this week? Or last week? Or next week? I'm sure I remember seeing there was going to be one but I don't buy WD.

Played the first scenario last night, with the ten marines I'd had time to assemble and ten hastily labelled bases. Traitors and loyalists have to get as many guys as possible off the far end of the board and into the deeper tunnels before the surface of the planet is incinerated. The doors start closing end of round three but with everyone acting twice per round it was basically over by then. Bit of a bloodbath, I was able to ensure victory by getting three marines away but they left a few of their brothers behind to get blown up by a vengeful word bearers missile launcher dude.

Played very smoothly except I found the combat resolution slightly unintuitive. You have to overcome the stamina stat of a marine to remove him (2) so odd hits are discarded. That means one guy firing a bolter at another guy has little chance of hurting him (roll two hits, then no shields). Conversely with more firepower death becomes near certain, because the target tactical marine can only roll enough shields to negate two hits at most and then he takes damage. I started out thinking it was like rolling to hit to wound and to save and later realised how different it is.

I kept forgetting to use my cards.

The kits are lovely, I'm going to turn them into an alpha legion army. The dreadnought is a bit dull, I may convert him.

Overall I think this is a great product if you can afford it.

Smooth Boy
18-11-2015, 21:52
Don't own a copy but as Selby said if you 360 the Dreadnought on the website the knees look awful. You'll probably want to still get a forge world one.

narradisall
18-11-2015, 22:22
Well the dreadnaught isn't as nice as the forge world ones but it's like a third of the price. So nice entry model

Wolf Lord Balrog
18-11-2015, 23:57
Well the dreadnaught isn't as nice as the forge world ones but it's like a third of the price. So nice entry model

And if you want the BaC Contemptor to be at all poseable, or compatible with Forge World accessories, you are going to need to do some cutting and remodeling.

Smooth Boy
19-11-2015, 00:18
Yeah, well I am impressed with what they've managed to do with it since it's essentially in two halves. But when you're getting into 30K I think you're already accepting it's going to be expensive, so you might as well get one of the nice legion specific ones.

The_Real_Chris
19-11-2015, 00:24
Yes the current white dwarf - I picked up a copy to place in any eventual box set.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

memitchell747
19-11-2015, 06:48
Did WD have a scenario this week? Or last week? Or next week? I'm sure I remember seeing there was going to be one but I don't buy WD.

Played the first scenario last night, with the ten marines I'd had time to assemble and ten hastily labelled bases. Traitors and loyalists have to get as many guys as possible off the far end of the board and into the deeper tunnels before the surface of the planet is incinerated. The doors start closing end of round three but with everyone acting twice per round it was basically over by then. Bit of a bloodbath, I was able to ensure victory by getting three marines away but they left a few of their brothers behind to get blown up by a vengeful word bearers missile launcher dude.

Played very smoothly except I found the combat resolution slightly unintuitive. You have to overcome the stamina stat of a marine to remove him (2) so odd hits are discarded. That means one guy firing a bolter at another guy has little chance of hurting him (roll two hits, then no shields). Conversely with more firepower death becomes near certain, because the target tactical marine can only roll enough shields to negate two hits at most and then he takes damage. I started out thinking it was like rolling to hit to wound and to save and later realised how different it is.

I kept forgetting to use my cards.

The kits are lovely, I'm going to turn them into an alpha legion army. The dreadnought is a bit dull, I may convert him.

Overall I think this is a great product if you can afford it.
The bolter has better than a "little chance" to kill a brother marine (that's HH talk). Two hits is like rolling 4+ on each of two dice. And, then the target failing two 5+ saves. Not great, but not little, either. Yes, it is possible to have more hits than possible saves. But, cards can change that. Cards are the levelers that make the impossible improbable, and the improbable likely.

The_Real_Chris
19-11-2015, 13:10
Is there a restriction on special and heavy weapons? Is it for every squad 1 special and 1 heavy, or can i simply have nothing but powerfists and melta guns...

For those that have played are their go to options?

(For those more interested in the game it can be had cheaply on ebay - the trolltrader has sold me one for 7.)

MagicHat
19-11-2015, 13:41
Is there a restriction on special and heavy weapons? Is it for every squad 1 special and 1 heavy, or can i simply have nothing but powerfists and melta guns...

For those that have played are their go to options?

(For those more interested in the game it can be had cheaply on ebay - the trolltrader has sold me one for 7.)

The squads have reference cards and the back of them shows the equipment options. So 1 special/heavy, sergeant with gear and vexillia for 10 man veteran squad. Terminators are pretty flexible as I recall it, although only 1 heavy flamer.

de Selby
19-11-2015, 23:47
The squads have similar options to tac squads in 40k. I didn't see anything I thought was obviously useless, but then I will not be optimising my model assembly for this game anyway.

The bolter has better than a "little chance" to kill a brother marine (that's HH talk). Two hits is like rolling 4+ on each of two dice. And, then the target failing two 5+ saves.

Well that's 1/2 * 1/2 * 2/3 *2/3 = 1/9

It's the same chance as 1 shot from a bolter in 40k (2/3 * 1/2 * 1/3). It's up to you if consider that 'little chance', given that it uses up an activation. The marine killing in our game was nearly all done with special/heavy weapons, but 2 or three marines firing together in a unit do much better than if they fire separately. Which is fair enough.

I forgot to mention the alternating activation, which worked pretty well. Without alternation I think games would be very one sided. Also there is a suppression mechanic! woooo!

Although I've only played one game, I currently think the game itself (without models) is worth 7 pounds if you just want a new way to play with space marine models you already have. Particularly if you want to play it against people who don't know 40k.

danyboy
20-11-2015, 07:56
The new WD scenario require two copies of BaC - two tiles sets and more marines is needed.

Kerrahn
20-11-2015, 08:42
Would be interesting to see if GW or some players with spare time will make cards for other units, could be a bit of fun.

Still assembling mine since I need some RG shoulder pads, torsos, and helms. I like the models, although I had a little trouble putting the Dreadnought and Terminator Captain together (few gaps that I'll need to fill later).

I plan on buying a 2nd box because 40 Tactical Marines and 20 Veteran Tactical Marines are what I planned on using in 30k. The Tac squads will just be getting RG shoulder pads (the Sergeants might get more), while the Vet Tacs will get the full helm, torso, and shoulder treatment, that way I can differentiate them on the battlefield, but also allows me to play Betrayal at Calth because I can just give the 'Ultramarines' the Vets and the 'Word Bearers' the Tacs. Will basically play like a RG combat training simulator.

baphomael
23-11-2015, 21:45
I'm one of the multitudes that bought this purely for the models. However, I'd actually really like to give the game a go. It looks like it could be a decent little straight forward beer n' pretzels game.

memitchell747
23-11-2015, 23:02
Go easy there, Hoss! Many 40K V2 players considered V3 and beyond a beer and pretzels game. And, don't be surprised if BaC don't remind you of an Age of Sigmar version of 40K. What 40K could be, or should be.

Dreadknight
24-11-2015, 16:40
I can keep my review simple: although my wife doesn't like 40K at all, se likes HH and we're even playing the campaign together now! :D

Novacane
24-11-2015, 23:32
Will basically play like a Alpha Legion combat training simulator.

Fixed for accuracy ;)

Age of Sigmar version of 40K.

While I do not want 8th Edition to be "Black Crusade Simulator 40999", I love how easy it is to play this game, and seriously think the way that vehicle damage is worked out in BaC should be the new chart. It isn't too hard to get your head around and makes more sense than needing a 7 on a D6 to explode you