PDA

View Full Version : What might Stormcast Eternals have been called under GW's old IP policy?

Karak Norn Clansman
16-11-2015, 12:01
Until recently, Games Workshop knew well how to make their worlds (and models) accessible and easy to get into, by for the most part using simple faction names that along with the cover art usually said it all by playing on archetypes: High Elves, the Empire, Dwarfs, Tomb Kings, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Ogre Kingdoms, Beasts of Chaos... Those human factions who used country names that not necessarily were self-explanatory (Bretonnia, Kislev) were spice to the simplicity, and any new hobbyist quickly got the hang of them.

As such, what might Stormcast Eternals, the angelic host of Sigmarines, have been called under the old naming policy?

Give us your guess! You may of course propose "Stormcast Eternals" if that's your hunch. The better and most likely proposals will be collected in a poll to see what people would have found most suitable. The top vote could even be proposed to the 9th Age team to use whenever they get around to include Sigmarine rules among their factions.

I'm personally suspecting something like Avengers of Justice, Eternal Warriors, Chosen of Sigmar, Stormwardens, Host of Light. Bot not Dragon Angels. :p

Cheeslord
16-11-2015, 12:07
Knights of Sigmar.

Arrahed
16-11-2015, 12:12
Foot-knights of the church of Sigmar.
Church of Sigmar military orders.

Or if you want to go by their look rather than their role: statues.

Herzlos
16-11-2015, 12:15
They'd fit something like Guardians.

Tyranno1
16-11-2015, 13:10
Space Marines.

Holier Than Thou
16-11-2015, 13:16
Necrons of Necronopolis

Clewz
16-11-2015, 13:25
celestial knights

Zywus
16-11-2015, 13:52
Fishmen

or alternatively: Menfish

Cheeslord
16-11-2015, 13:54
Automatons of Uncompromising Order...

akai
16-11-2015, 15:11
seems like a direct opposite of Daemons of Chaos...so Celestials of Order

Cutter
16-11-2015, 15:23
Until recently, Games Workshop knew well how to make their worlds (and models) accessible and easy to get into, by for the most part using simple faction names that along with the cover art usually said it all by playing on archetypes: High Elves, the Empire, Dwarfs, Tomb Kings, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Ogre Kingdoms, Beasts of Chaos... Those human factions who used country names that not necessarily were self-explanatory (Bretonnia, Kislev) were spice to the simplicity, and any new hobbyist quickly got the hang of them.

As such, what might Stormcast Eternals, the angelic host of Sigmarines, have been called under the old naming policy?

Give us your guess! You may of course propose "Stormcast Eternals" if that's your hunch. The better and most likely proposals will be collected in a poll to see what people would have found most suitable. The top vote could even be proposed to the 9th Age team to use whenever they get around to include Sigmarine rules among their factions.

I'm personally suspecting something like Avengers of Justice, Eternal Warriors, Chosen of Sigmar, Stormwardens, Host of Light. Bot not Dragon Angels. :p

Empirial SigMarines.

eron12
16-11-2015, 15:34
Space Marines.

Beat me to it

Shifte
16-11-2015, 15:45
Champions of Sigmar.

Karak Norn Clansman
16-11-2015, 16:05
Quite some nice ones, and some funny ones. The latter will be overlooked for the poll. Keep the proposals coming.

@Arrahed: That'd be too clunky for an army book name, though.

@Cutter: Not Empirical? :p

Soundwave
16-11-2015, 16:24
Myrmidons of skylight.

aprilmanha
16-11-2015, 16:55
Given GW liked to take an existing thing and add a name to it (Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs) and since Sigmarines are obviously the "Good" Chaos Warriors you are looking are either:

1. Sigmarines
2. Warriors of Sigmar
3. Holy Chaos Warriors (for the "add an name to a current army to make it new again!)

Arrahed
16-11-2015, 17:05
@Arrahed: That'd be too clunky for an army book name, though.

You're probably right. But wouldn't something 'clunky' be perfect for those guys? :)

de Selby
16-11-2015, 17:32
I think knights of sigmar about covers it. but I can't stop laughing at menfish. Finally an answer why they never take their helmets off: it lets the water out!

2DSick
16-11-2015, 18:14
I reckon Templars of <blank> or <blank> Templars would have about covered it. With the <blank>s taken from the fluff.. Which unfortunately leave us with some amalgamation or the word Sigmar...

If only Dan Abnett or Will King had any part in the fluff writing!

Philhelm
16-11-2015, 18:47
I would go with "XXXX of Sigmar." Perhaps Heralds of Sigmar, Warforged of Sigmar, Angels of Sigmar, etc.

Smooth Boy
16-11-2015, 20:05
Only problem with Knights of Sigmar is that it sounds like a knightly order. ie. Knights of Sigmar's Blood in Averland.

de Selby
16-11-2015, 23:51
I was going to make a comment about Averland and the floating islands of the Shimmertarn, but instead I'll point out that (at least as I understand it) fluffwise, it might be some of the same knights!

Col. Tartleton
17-11-2015, 07:53
Faction Name: Warriors of Order

Unit Name: Order Warriors

Cheeslord
17-11-2015, 08:49
We are the Knights that say ... "Sigmar!"

Azaireal
18-11-2015, 02:51
Sigmar's Wrath
Crusaders of the Celestial Order
The Knights Watch
Watchmen
Host of Sigmar
Inner space marines
Ultrasigmarines
Cathay

75hastings69
18-11-2015, 03:26
I was going to make a comment about Averland and the floating islands of the Shimmertarn, but instead I'll point out that (at least as I understand it) fluffwise, it might be some of the same knights!

that's what I thought too originally, however having read the "fluff" again I am now sure that rather than being any heroes of the wars of the old world/world that was these are in fact heros from the wars in the nine realms before sigmar retreated into his sigmarite castle and started the production line of sigmarines, although it doesn't make that much sense as if these guys had already died in the battles acroos the nine realms before sigmar made his sigmar forge how did he scoop them up during the battle to make them into sigmarines??

Anyway as for the name, I think a simple "champions of Sigmar" would have done.

bigbiggles
18-11-2015, 07:13
Golden weapon-swaps

Clewz
18-11-2015, 12:41
We are the Knights that say ... "Sigmar!"

Sigmaron, tis a silly place

Denny
18-11-2015, 14:18
Based on GW habit of stealing their names from other sources and disguising it with bad spelling, I'd suggest The Mjolnear

Led by Kris Helmsworth of course.

Freak Ona Leash
19-11-2015, 00:48
Based on GW habit of stealing their names from other sources and disguising it with bad spelling, I'd suggest The Mjolnear

Led by Kris Helmsworth of course.

If it was still 5th edition Warhammer writers, I could very well see this happening. Hell, I'm surprised we haven't seen a Kristoff Helmsworth, wielding a giant lightning hammer yet.

Denny
19-11-2015, 11:01
If it was still 5th edition Warhammer writers, I could very well see this happening. Hell, I'm surprised we haven't seen a Kristoff Helmsworth, wielding a giant lightning hammer yet.

I suppose GW IP paranoia cuts both ways; they are probably scared of getting sued by Marvel, whereas back in the day they were (allegedly) happy to lift the name of a prime minister to create Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka.

Herzlos
19-11-2015, 14:23
I suppose GW IP paranoia cuts both ways; they are probably scared of getting sued by Marvel, whereas back in the day they were (allegedly) happy to lift the name of a prime minister to create Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka.

I literally only just got that. I can see the the resemblence now!

Denny
19-11-2015, 14:58
I literally only just got that. I can see the the resemblence now!

I think the reference to Maggie a rumour rather than a fact, but its something I choose to believe 100%. :)
(and the name really does fit)

Herzlos
19-11-2015, 15:40
If you say it phonetically, you get Magaruk Thraka, which isn't far off how I'd expect and Ork to pronounce Margaret Thatcher (Magarut Thacha). She was regarded as a bit of a monster at the time, partilcularly oop north.

Denny
19-11-2015, 20:04
Yeah. GW used to be so much more fun with stuff like that back in the day.

theJ
21-11-2015, 21:06
"Storm Knights"?
"Angelic Host"?
"Warriors/Champions of Order"?

Self-descriprive? Check.
Evocative? Check.
Recognisable? Check.
Rolls off the Tongue? Check.

Krenz
22-11-2015, 06:47
Sigmaron, tis a silly place

*Patsy pipes up*

"It's only a model"

broxus
22-11-2015, 20:29
Knights of Sigmar.
That's the most likely one

MusingWarboss
22-11-2015, 21:58

I think the reference to Maggie a rumour rather than a fact, but its something I choose to believe 100%. :)
(and the name really does fit)

If you say it phonetically, you get Magaruk Thraka, which isn't far off how I'd expect and Ork to pronounce Margaret Thatcher (Magarut Thacha). She was regarded as a bit of a monster at the time, partilcularly oop north.

Probably why they only seem to refer to him as Ghazghkull now, just in case anyone still notices. Was Makeri supposed to be Dennis?

I suppose it's too early for a joke about the great Snakebite boss 'Ammer Groon and why we don't see boarboyz anymore... ;)

Voodoo1
23-11-2015, 05:35
Sigtonnia. The lady is dead, a new god in golden armor replaces her. All champions become primes, and they all transform and roll out.

Lord Damocles
23-11-2015, 09:56
Probably why they only seem to refer to him as Ghazghkull now
I mean, except for in Waaagh! Ghazghkull (pg.5)...