PDA

View Full Version : primarch names

It's also a hammer
19-11-2015, 17:51
Hi was just wondering if people knew the origin of the names of the primarchs?

Some are straight forward like ferrus mannus which i believe is almost latin for iron man or man of iron. But what of the others?

Foulacy
19-11-2015, 18:46
Ferris manis is Latin for Iron Hand

Vulkan is the god of fire/blacksmithing can't think of the godly name for blacksmith haha

Corvus corax - I think is Latin for Raven bird

Perturabo is a closeness to perdurabo which means to endure I believe

Foulacy
19-11-2015, 18:52
Alpharius omegan is obviously alpha and omega..

Jaghatia Khan is a play on ghengis Khan who the character is based off.

Horus is obvious based off the god by the same name.

Sanguinas is based off sanguine which is Latin for blood

Mortarion means death

And my favourite name Konrad curze is based off the author Conrad kurtz and the character is based off his character from the book "heart of darkness"

Foulacy
19-11-2015, 18:53
God knows how that ended in a triple
Post. Sorry.

Aranel
19-11-2015, 20:27
Lion El Jonson - the poet Lionel Johnson
Fulgrim?
Petarabo - as above
Jaghatai Khan - Genghis Khan
Leman Russ - ?
Royal Dorn - ?
Konrad Kurze - as above
Sanguinius - from the Latin 'Blood'.
Ferris Manus - from the Latin 'Iron Hand'
Angron - Sounds like Anger / Angry!
Roboute Guilliman - ?
Mortarion - 'Death' in many languages
Magnus - Latin for 'great'
Horus - Egyptian God of the sky (amongst other things!)
Lorgar - ?
Vulkan - Roman God of smith work
Corax - Latin for 'Raven'
Alpharius & Omegon - Greek alphabet first and last letters

Lord Damocles
19-11-2015, 20:58
Iron Hand, leader of the Iron Hands, with the iron metal hands.

But apparently Stormcast are a problem... :shifty:

The Black Shield
19-11-2015, 21:04
His hands are not cybernetics they are living metal like the Necrons.

bittick
19-11-2015, 21:06
Alpharius omegan is obviously alpha and omega..

Jaghatia Khan is a play on ghengis Khan who the character is based off.

Horus is obvious based off the god by the same name.

Sanguinas is based off sanguine which is Latin for blood

Mortarion means death

And my favourite name Konrad curze is based off the author Conrad kurtz and the character is based off his character from the book "heart of darkness"

Joseph Conrad was the author of "Heart of Darkness". The character was Mr. Kurtz. In Apocalypse Now, it's Col. Kurtz played by Marlon Brando. The Primarch is killed by the assassin M'Shen (Martin Sheen in the movie).

Jaghatai Khan is an alternate spelling of Chagatai Khan, second son of Genghis Khan.

Perturabo makes me think of "perturbed", meaning upset or irritated.

Horus, in Egyptian mythology, was the son of Osiris. Osiris is the god of the dead, and the afterlife. His body was cut up and scattered throughout the land, but he continued to rule in the afterlife. This is an obvious parallel to the Emperor.

Lion El'Jonson is named after the poet Lionel Johnson, who wrote the poem "The Dark Angel".

Ferrus Manus means "iron hand" in Latin.

Corvus Corax comes from corvus, the Latin word for "raven" or "crow", and corax, the Greek word for "crow". So his name is Crow Crow. Stupid Emperor picking dumb names.

Magnus is a regular name. He's probably named after Magnus Maximus, a Roman general who rebelled against the emperor and seized control of Britain.

baphomael
19-11-2015, 21:09
Lion El Jonson - the poet Lionel Johnson
Fulgrim?
Petarabo - as above
Jaghatai Khan - Genghis Khan
Leman Russ - ?
Royal Dorn - ?
Konrad Kurze - as above
Sanguinius - from the Latin 'Blood'.
Ferris Manus - from the Latin 'Iron Hand'
Angron - Sounds like Anger / Angry!
Roboute Guilliman - ?
Mortarion - 'Death' in many languages
Magnus - Latin for 'great'
Horus - Egyptian God of the sky (amongst other things!)
Lorgar - ?
Vulkan - Roman God of smith work
Corax - Latin for 'Raven'
Alpharius & Omegon - Greek alphabet first and last letters

Russ is named after his tribe, the Russ. This could be loosely derived from the Rus, who some scholars suggest where Varangian Norsemen who founded the early Slavic polity of the Kievan Rus after capturing Kiev (although, this theory has been subject of much debate and both Normanist and Anti-Normanist arguments have been used as political fodder further muddying the water).

narradisall
19-11-2015, 21:24
Isn't Angron basically "anger" in Greek or Latin? I forget but in sure it's that straightforward

Romanov77
19-11-2015, 21:44
To any Italian speakers, Perturabo would sound like a name for someone who is prone to mighty rages.

Foulacy
19-11-2015, 21:54
Dorn is Irish for fist - not sure where rogal is from

Jack of Blades
19-11-2015, 22:35
Dorn is Irish for fist - not sure where rogal is from

I don't know if exactly Rogal is a word in a language, but it sounds like a modification of regal (adjective 1. of or relating to a king; royal: the regal power.). It'd make sense that his legion is called the Imperial Fists and his name is Regal/Royal Fist (of the Emperor).

Dryaktylus
19-11-2015, 22:58
Roboute Guilliman - ?

Roboute - Robert? (diminutive: Robin)
Guilliman - Guillemin (diminutive version of Guillaume - english William)

So: Robin Williams. :p

Foulacy
19-11-2015, 22:58
I don't know if exactly Rogal is a word in a language, but it sounds like a modification of regal (adjective 1. of or relating to a king; royal: the regal power.). It'd make sense that his legion is called the Imperial Fists and his name is Regal/Royal Fist (of the Emperor).

Yeah that sounds believable.

Snake Tortoise
20-11-2015, 12:01
Wait... Leman Russ isn't named after the IG tank? :eek:

He should have been called Devil Dog

Roboute - Robert? (diminutive: Robin)
Guilliman - Guillemin (diminutive version of Guillaume - english William)

So: Robin Williams. :p

Brilliant :D

Karhedron
20-11-2015, 13:30
Horus, in Egyptian mythology, was the son of Osiris. Osiris is the god of the dead, and the afterlife. His body was cut up and scattered throughout the land, but he continued to rule in the afterlife. This is an obvious parallel to the Emperor.

Although interestingly, the Horus of Egyptian legend was a loyal son who avenged his father after Osiris was murdered by Seth.

I think that games workshop simply liked the alliteration of Horus Heresy. :p

Aranel
20-11-2015, 14:46
Although interestingly, the Horus of Egyptian legend was a loyal son who avenged his father after Osiris was murdered by Seth.

Indeed. I always thought Horus was a strange name choice for the Arch Villan.

It does role off the tongue a lot better than Loki / Set / Chronos / Baphomet Heresy though!

Interesting to hear about Rogal Dorn; I find it hilarious that Lysander's Thunder Hammer is 'The Fist of Fist!'

Lupe
20-11-2015, 15:55
So was Horus. Except he sort of nearly got murdered first...

Well, given that the whole setting was meant to be a dystopia, I think it's appropriate nonetheless. It feels a lot more poetic than, say the Baphomet Blasphemy. We know who Baphomet is. He's evil, we expect betrayal from him. We're not expecting someone named Horus to backstab his father, though...

Aranel
20-11-2015, 16:10
True Lupe, but considering the close resonance that other primarchs share with their names, legions, home worlds etc it's very much an odd one.

Also, whilst I agree with your point regarding Baphomet, good god or bad God is a bit irrelevant when you have 'Horus Heresy' scrawled over the entire range.

Bit of a spoiler that ;)

hellharlequin
20-11-2015, 16:35
Isn't Angron basically "anger" in Greek or Latin? I forget but in sure it's that straightforward
more closer to germanic Angir is the spear of odin
the character is spartacus

I think they choose horus because it asociates with lightbrinhger lucifer

Narf
21-11-2015, 10:04
pretty sure fulgrim now is based off "The picture dorian grey" by oscar wilde, however not sure what he was based off originally.

However the emperors children were always based off Art for Arts sake, perfection for perfections sake, and taking things too far, which relates back to the dorian grey parable again.

Snake Tortoise
21-11-2015, 13:11
pretty sure fulgrim now is based off "The picture dorian grey" by oscar wilde, however not sure what he was based off originally.

However the emperors children were always based off Art for Arts sake, perfection for perfections sake, and taking things too far, which relates back to the dorian grey parable again.

Maybe he was always based off of that book, but I suspect he wasn't really based on anything initially, other than being the slaanesh primarch. In any case Dorian Gray is a brilliant character to inspire the Horus Heresy series Fulgrim. Otherwise I'm not keen on the noise marine and sonic weaponry fluff and wish the Emperor's Children had stayed a bit more true to their pre heresy depiction, retaining the purple and gold armour instead of black and pink. Then again I suppose there's nothing in the fluff to prevent someone building a classic EC army in 40k that disdains the path the rest of the legion have gone down

sunborn
21-11-2015, 15:00
Corvus Corax comes from corvus, the Latin word for "raven" or "crow", and corax, the Greek word for "crow". So his name is Crow Crow. Stupid Emperor picking dumb names.

This is true, but the E-dogg is not so stupid. Corvus Corax is the Binomial Scientific name for the common raven as given by Carl Linnaeus in 1758, and still the scientific name today.

Leman Russ could have a connection to a common surname of Russell that may have derived from russet hair. Russ did have red hair. Russ could also mean reference to the Russ Slavic people but I don't see a connection. Leman is an archaic English word for a sweetheart; lover; beloved; mistress. Leman was certainly beloved, but the word leman is derived from the words lief and man, which mean (gladly) willingly man. That fits his description pretty good.

Roboute Guilliman should be Anglicized as Robert William. The most famous Robert William on Google is Robert William Service (who wrote the awesome The Cremation of Sam McGee) but this may be coincidence.

As for Lorgar, his name probably comes from the concatenation of two words, lor and gar. Gar is easy, it has been used as a euphemism for God since 1598. Lor could be from Lore, you know, being word bearing about God and all.

baphomael
21-11-2015, 15:12
This is true, but the E-dogg is not so stupid. Corvus Corax is the Binomial Scientific name for the common raven as given by Carl Linnaeus in 1758, and still the scientific name today.

Leman Russ could have a connection to a common surname of Russell that may have derived from russet hair. Russ did have red hair. Russ could also mean reference to the Russ Slavic people but I don't see a connection. Leman is an archaic English word for a sweetheart; lover; beloved; mistress. Leman was certainly beloved, but the word leman is derived from the words lief and man, which mean (gladly) willingly man. That fits his description pretty good.

Roboute Guilliman should be Anglicized as Robert William. The most famous Robert William on Google is Robert William Service (who wrote the awesome The Cremation of Sam McGee) but this may be coincidence.

As for Lorgar, his name probably comes from the concatenation of two words, lor and gar. Gar is easy, it has been used as a euphemism for God since 1598. Lor could be from Lore, you know, being word bearing about God and all.

Considering one of the classic theories for the origins of the early Kievan Rus polity, going back to the Primary Chronicle and the writings of early Arab traders and Byzantines, is that the Rus where Varangian Norsemen - that is, Vikings - I can totally see the connection between Leman Russ (and his own tribe, the Russ) and the mytho-historical Varangian Rus.

sunborn
21-11-2015, 15:25
Considering one of the classic theories for the origins of the early Kievan Rus polity, going back to the Primary Chronicle and the writings of early Arab traders and Byzantines, is that the Rus where Varangian Norsemen - that is, Vikings - I can totally see the connection between Leman Russ (and his own tribe, the Russ) and the mytho-historical Varangian Rus.

Good call! I did say I didn't see, I didn't say it wasn't there. I didn't know about the Norsemen connection until you pointed it out.

baphomael
21-11-2015, 18:56
Good call! I did say I didn't see, I didn't say it wasn't there. I didn't know about the Norsemen connection until you pointed it out.

Its one of those little cool easter eggs. Some of the references GW use are obvious and smack you in the face, others are a touch more subtle. I quite enjoy those "oh, thats where I recognise it" moments :p

sunborn
21-11-2015, 20:57
So I think we have a pretty good idea on every single primarch name except Big Poppa Smurf himself.

Roboute Guilliman comes off as French to me because Guillaume is the French version of William. However, French is a Romance language and we know that the chief smurf landed in a Roman-style culture.

Ro is Gaelic for very, too, much, exceedingly. Bouté is French for goodness (google translate) strike, hit .

Could Guilli come from a reference to guile; with man meaning man?

Anyone else have ideas?

Sai-Lauren
21-11-2015, 21:05
Just to point out, Leman Russ originally appeared as a Space Marine Commander in Rogue Trader, before the primarchs started to appear in the fluff. I've no idea where his name came from before that though.

blu
21-11-2015, 21:49
I think that Fulgrim name is a tribute to italian poet Gabriele D'annunzio.
In Italian literature the italian word "Folgore" (means lightning, from latin fulgurem) was introuced by poet Gabriel D'annunzio for describing a person "wonderful to look" , also this poet was one of the main exponent of Decadent movement and in some way ( don't know if truth or not) considered a pervert.

Lupe
21-11-2015, 22:52
Just to point out, Leman Russ originally appeared as a Space Marine Commander in Rogue Trader, before the primarchs started to appear in the fluff. I've no idea where his name came from before that though.

Well, to be fair, a primarch is actually a (or, better said, THE) commander for a force of Space marines, by virtue of job description. Nothing changed there. They only added the part where they were even more superhuman than the superhumans they commanded :)

EDIT: Meaning that, even now, a statement such as 'Rogal Dorn was the commander of the defenders at the Siege of Terra" is 100% correct, even though that command extends over mortals, Astartes and even two of his brothers.

Dryaktylus
22-11-2015, 01:48
Well, to be fair, a primarch is actually a (or, better said, THE) commander for a force of Space marines, by virtue of job description. Nothing changed there. They only added the part where they were even more superhuman than the superhumans they commanded :)

Sure, but the original Leman Russ was just an ugly dude with iron lungs from a time before they made the Space Wolves Viking.

Razios
22-11-2015, 17:32
Magnus also sound like magus, which is where the world "mage" come from, dosent it?

Plague Lord
22-11-2015, 23:09
Rogal is actually a word in a language - Polish. In polish it's a sickle-shaped sweetbread so I doubt he was named after that :P
Magnus is pretty common - my second name is Magnus for instance and it means Great, in this case I think it refers to Magnus' great hight.

Oh and I remember reading somewhere in an intrerview (i think it was with allessio) that Angron was named after one of the creator's mates Angry Ron :)

BadOmen
23-11-2015, 03:58
I always thought Jaghatai Khan was just Jackie Chan having been put though the GW Name-o-matic machine.

The Black Shield
23-11-2015, 06:18
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Jaghatai_Khan

Still Standing
23-11-2015, 07:52
Magnus is also an et'Ada whose domain emcompases magic in The Elder Scrolls. He is the achitect of creation. The two are probably linked.

Additionally, Albertus Magnus was a 13th century scholor who wrote on on subjects such as astrology and magic.

Jack of Blades
23-11-2015, 08:32
Combining the words magus and magnus (ie. just putting an n in magus :p) gives you "great mage". I think there could be several influences... many of which are surely meant by the Father of Lies to mislead us.

totgeboren
23-11-2015, 10:57
I can't remember where I heard it, but I think Angron was actually based on a guy from a local pub the early GW guys hung around at. They called him "Angry Ron", and as an internal joke he got made into the super-angry Primarch Angron.
It's kinda in the same league as the Rainbow Warriors (who got killed by the French, no!, Sister of Battle), or Zoat who only ate Zoatibix or the planet Birmingham. I quote; "Birmingham is also known as the Black Planet, as it receives almost no visible light from its system's sun. As a result, the planet receives few visitors, and its inhabitants have become linguistically and culturally isolated."

In the early days there was quite a bit more of dry British humour in the setting.

Tastyfish
28-11-2015, 20:10
Magnus is also an et'Ada whose domain emcompases magic in The Elder Scrolls. He is the achitect of creation. The two are probably linked.

Additionally, Albertus Magnus was a 13th century scholor who wrote on on subjects such as astrology and magic.

First Elder scrolls game came out six years after the first book detailing the Horus Heresy, both probably draw on the second thing - if it's not just simply names sounding right for the person.

Kodanshi
02-12-2015, 22:24
I see bittick has already explained Konrad Curze, but I'd like to point out something else about the Night Lords. The Atramentar take their name from 'atramentous', which means 'as dark as ink'.

inq.serge
08-12-2015, 20:36
Lupercal is the name of the cave where Remus and Romulus where raised by a wolf.

Otherwise I'm not keen on the noise marine and sonic weaponry fluff and wish the Emperor's Children had stayed a bit more true to their pre heresy depiction, retaining the purple and gold armour instead of black and pink. Then again I suppose there's nothing in the fluff to prevent someone building a classic EC army in 40k that disdains the path the rest of the legion have gone down

Sounds like you guys neither are nor hang around art-students of the skilled kind. :P

I also assume you haven't heard about Berghain either.

Skilled art-students/Emperors children work hard to be the best, which is hard and painful, both physically and mentally. So we party hard. It helps. And people who want to be the best almost always want more, that's why they become the best in the first place, otherwise they'd be content being losers. And they usually want more in everything, 'cause too much is never enough.

BrainFireBob
09-12-2015, 05:35
I cannot accept but that Roboute Guilliman is somehow a reference to William the Marshall, the Flower.of Chivalry. Not in a Brit product.

The Black Shield
09-12-2015, 06:39
Yeah, I do not know any art students, nor have I ever known any. Most people I know go to school to get a job.

Finn
12-12-2015, 07:11
Russ is named after his tribe, the Russ. This could be loosely derived from the Rus, who some scholars suggest where Varangian Norsemen who founded the early Slavic polity of the Kievan Rus after capturing Kiev (although, this theory has been subject of much debate and both Normanist and Anti-Normanist arguments have been used as political fodder further muddying the water).

I thought this was actually pretty well settled as fact... the Norse peoples traveled through eastern Russia to the Middle East. I read a very well-sourced book about 3 years ago, but I forget if it was Jonathan Clements or Robert Ferguson... but essentially, there's a lot of evidence (archaeological for sure, but I think also DNA) that the Vikings spread out to the east and south as well as to the west, which is more well known.

I'm down with the Russ being related in some way to the Rus tribe, but no idea on where Leman comes from. Minor googling gets me nowhere.

When I read 'Fulgrim', that's actually what I thought also.

So I think we have a pretty good idea on every single primarch name except Big Poppa Smurf himself.

Roboute Guilliman comes off as French to me because Guillaume is the French version of William. However, French is a Romance language and we know that the chief smurf landed in a Roman-style culture.

Ro is Gaelic for very, too, much, exceedingly. Bouté is French for goodness (google translate) strike, hit .

Could Guilli come from a reference to guile; with man meaning man?

Anyone else have ideas?

Why do you think they're called Romance languages? :D And that the 4th (Romanian) is spoken in a comparatively isolated region with respect to the main 3 (French/Italian/Spanish)? It's because they're all derived from Latin. France was/is itself heavily influenced by classical Roman culture. I mean, Napoleon imitated the triumphal arches for his own giant monument...

Yeah, I do not know any art students, nor have I ever known any. Most people I know go to school to get a job.

All you need is a shiny piece of paper that you paid a lot of money for. Doesn't matter what it's actually in, these days, unless you're specializing.

Sounds like you guys neither are nor hang around art-students of the skilled kind. :P

I also assume you haven't heard about Berghain either.

Skilled art-students/Emperors children work hard to be the best, which is hard and painful, both physically and mentally. So we party hard. It helps. And people who want to be the best almost always want more, that's why they become the best in the first place, otherwise they'd be content being losers. And they usually want more in everything, 'cause too much is never enough.

I get what you're saying, but the way that reads is that all "skilled art students" are super good and the best at art and just so driven and party so hard and so on. That's not really true, at least in the sense that it's unique to "skilled art students", because it's not.

Related: somebody told me once "Contentment is a kind of complacency creative people rarely have." I don't think it applies only to creatives (I think it applies to ambition in general), but there is a specific kind of creativity, that not tied to ambition, that I think this applies to.