PDA

View Full Version : Ork questions?

Webwolf
08-07-2006, 21:54
Hi all,

I have some questions about the Ork army:

1. Why has the armour save of Orks got to be 6+? In 2nd edition, the Orks had the same armour as the IG, even the Gretchins had armour, as far as I recall, so should the save not be like the IG's (5+)?

2. Where have the Wierdboys gone? Are the Orks without psykers?

3. Ork BS of 2, why? (maybe give the Grots and/or Shoota Boys BS 3)?

4. Why does the Shoota boyz have 2 attacks, because you can't shoot 2 times in the shooting phase, as far as I recall?

5. Does the Slugga boy attack of 2 include the fact that he has two ccw? Should he not have 3 attacks because of that?

6. How come are the new Ork models in metal, as the plastic ones are more convertable in my eyes?

7. How about "kustom" Clan rules in the new codex?
Something like:
Spezul Trainin' = +2 points/model, gives +1 BS to selected mob.
Scrap Boyz: 0-3 'ard Boys as Troops.
Shoota Upgrade: Rapid Fire becomes Asassult 2.

Of course the standard clans (goffs, blood axes, and so on) should have their own rules.

Strikerkc
08-07-2006, 22:12
1) game mechanics more than likely, the rules are so different from 2nd that stats are bound to change one way or the other.

2) they're curently in the feral ork list. Still in the background plenty, just not in the standard codex.

3) Becuase they didn't want the army that were far worse shots than IG to shoot just as well as them. Granted, the standard Ork boy isn't all that great stat wise, but they'd have been a bit over powered in 3rd at BS 3 (especialy if all their guns and options had been done the same way as they curently are)

4) the attack characteristic is only used in hand to hand, it has nothing to do with the shooting phase

5) look at the unit entry, if it does not specificaly say that the close combat weapon is taken into account in the profile, then they gain the attack in addition to their profile (so 3 attacks, 4 on the charge).

6) Becusae most of the new ork models are very rarely used units so people wouldn't buy very many of them reguardless, and metal costs much less for GW to make.

7) closest thing to custom clan rules are the ones published in a white dwarf a while back. No word as of yet about how they'll work in the future codex.

Unseeing Eye
08-07-2006, 22:15
As an addition to 4:

4) It doesn't matter in the shooting phase. However, it means Shoota Boyz can put up a fight in close combat.

Damien 1427
08-07-2006, 22:44
1) They'd be tougher guardsmen with better guns. With the numbers to match. And better HTH ability. Game balance, and lets be honest, orks aren't known for their armour.

2) To the Feral list.

3) Balance. 30 Shoota boys hitting 50% of the time as opposed to 33.3%? Again, they're be superior to guardsmen in every way, with the numbers to match. Also, Orks aren't immaculate shots. They go for dakka over accuracy.

4) They're still orks. Just orks with guns as opposed to choppas.

7) Klan Rulez are on the GW website.

Latro_
08-07-2006, 23:32
eek where have you been for 7 years? hehe.

1. Why has the armour save of Orks got to be 6+? In 2nd edition, the Orks had the same armour as the IG, even the Gretchins had armour, as far as I recall, so should the save not be like the IG's (5+)?

Simply because they totally redid orks. They also used to have bolt guns, melta guns and Ogryn allies in 2nd ed :P. To be honest the 6+ save is only a negative in combat since most shooty weapons are AP5.

2. Where have the Wierdboys gone? Are the Orks without psykers?

Hopefully they will be back in the new codex. I expect GW left them out first time round as they already had 3 HQ units and didnt want 4.
Of late GW seem to be bringing psykers back into fashion after a big slump in the 3rd Ed so fingers crossed.

3. Ork BS of 2, why? (maybe give the Grots and/or Shoota Boys BS 3)?

When they redid orks they wanted to portray them as firing lots of dakkary shots in the general direction of the enemy as they rush forward into combat. Basically bringing them away from the 'Imperial guard with green faces' style shooty armies of 2nd ed.

4. Why does the Shoota boyz have 2 attacks, because you can't shoot 2 times in the shooting phase, as far as I recall?

All orks have 2 attacks, its to keep their profiles the same. As in an ork is an ork if he holds shoota, a bannan, a stick etc...

the last part of your question is a bit confusing as attacks have nothing to do with shooting. A shoota as in the weapon can fire 2 shots in the shooting phase 'see rapid fire weapons in the main rule book'

5. Does the Slugga boy attack of 2 include the fact that he has two ccw? Should he not have 3 attacks because of that?

Yep they have 2 basic + 1 for an extra close combat weapon. This means each slugga boy will have 4 attacks if he charges :P

6. How come are the new Ork models in metal, as the plastic ones are more convertable in my eyes?

There are a mix. Generally like most armies these days the main regiment box of boys is plastic. Units like Ard boyz, storm boyz etc use the main regiment sprues with additional metal bits.

7. How about "kustom" Clan rules in the new codex?
Something like:
Spezul Trainin' = +2 points/model, gives +1 BS to selected mob.
Scrap Boyz: 0-3 'ard Boys as Troops.
Shoota Upgrade: Rapid Fire becomes Asassult 2.

There are already clan rules on the GW website (http://uk.games-workshop.com/orks/) for all the major clans. There is also the Feral ork army list pluse the Cult of speed list available in codex armageddon.