PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions(little help please, Marine players...)

Yodhrin
08-07-2006, 22:53
Ive tried various truescale methods, and all of them are great, however all have limitations which annoyed me. Using Chaos Warriors with added plasticard spacers, for example, looks amazing for Space Wolves and certain Chaos Legions, but to my taste doesn't do well for the more clean-cut chapters. Adding various spacers to existing Marine plastics looks very good, and is a fairly simple process, but I always found them to be a little on the annorexic side and the process is very time-consuming.

I think I have finally found my ultimate truescaling method, thanks to Maelis over on the B&C. This (http://bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=85105&view=findpost&p=996152) being an excellent example. First, it reminds me of my favourite piece of Marine artwork; "Crimson Fist with bloody huge Powerfist (http://uk.games-workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/spacemarines/artwork/images/17-big.jpg)", one of the few which I feel really captures the immensity and raw power of the Marines. Second, it's the easiest truescale method for those of us who want a full army. Sculpt up five sets of the parts(torsos, upper and lower legs, crotchplate) and make two silicone moulds. Then you can quickly, easily and legally(sculpted by the caster and cast only for personal use, I'd just have to sculpt the torso from scratch instead of basing it on a plastic Marine one) cast up an entire Squad's worth of Marines. What's more the basic design can turn into any chapter you like with no more work than you would use detailing an ordinary plastic Marine kit.

And therein lies my problem. I recently got a complete model casting kit as a present from an old friend, everything from the mould materials to the resin mixture. I have a box full of my new, home-made sculpting tools and five packs of Brown Stuff. And no bloody clue what chapter to choose :cries: Im already working on a small force of 13th Company using the aforementioned Chaos Warriors and spacers method, so I dont want to do anything wolfy. I'd like to complete at least one loyalist army in this lifetime, so Chaos is out for the moment too.

Ive tried picking by fluff, by colourscheme, by what details I can sculpt on, even(and this is an anathema to a fluff/modelling gamer like myself) on the basis of how effectively I could beard the crap out of them, but I can't seem to make up my mind. So, I need a fresh perspecive: you lot's. Please suggest a chapter which you think would fit with the whole massive, bulky, imposing image and state a couple of reasons why. I should mention I have a liking for chapters which are stoic and firmly loyalist, but with a bit of a dark side for flavour.

Cheers.

ffclubhero
09-07-2006, 04:21
IMO, dark flavour aside, I'd go with a vanilla Marine chapter, just to make the army more flexible. Your style of play will determine which chapter you choose, but you haven't told us whether you prefer CC or shooty goodness. A little more idea of what style you have will help.

Yodhrin
09-07-2006, 10:02
IMO, dark flavour aside, I'd go with a vanilla Marine chapter, just to make the army more flexible. Your style of play will determine which chapter you choose, but you haven't told us whether you prefer CC or shooty goodness. A little more idea of what style you have will help.

Im not really bothered with style of play, to be honest, Im more interested in creating a visually striking army with a strong theme, although Im not a fan of armies which are hugely focused on one thing or another(for example, my favourite unit in the game is probably the Grey Slayers because of their versatility).