PDA

View Full Version : AOS Advent Calender releases - discussion

ArtificerArmour
01-12-2015, 18:08
Well today is the 1st, and our first release is Path to Glory - a pdf detailing how you can play AoS with warbands of chaos vying for supremecy.

I really like this release, its had a fair anmount of effort put in, and harks back to the original path to glory from nigh 15 years ago.

The random chart return, including an updated champion name generator!

Love this addition, although my concerns are you still need at least 5 units (of course, this could actually mean 5 characters as you choose what table to generate your warbands from).

Anyone else bought it yet?

Darth Alec
01-12-2015, 18:18
Looking forward to reading these. Need to buy them first, but I'll post an update once I have.

BTJ
01-12-2015, 19:03
Need to wait till thursday to get it, but looking forward to it

OGforMe
01-12-2015, 22:06
I was looking at that. Does it have everything you need to play the basic with AoS or old rules? I see it said more items to come, so wanted to make sure it is in a playable form with the basics and didn't have to invest more if I didn't want to.

ArtificerArmour
01-12-2015, 22:26
You need AoS rules and the unit warscrolls, all free on GW website, its ready to go really, just need an army

nanogasn
02-12-2015, 02:50
I can't help but feel we're getting bombarded with these addons. There are already 30 battleplans available. Now they are pumping out another round.

I'm not against the system of addons. The price tag is a bit steep, but conceptually they are good. If anything, AoS kinda needs these in its current form as the base game doesn't feel polished as a raw skirmish. My issue is that with so many choices I'm getting lost in a lack of feedback about what is what. So I'm starting to just shy away from it all.

There is very little info on these addons, at least from what I've seen so far. Would be nice if they offered a bit more of a description of how each addon plays. Currently the battleplans provide more of a lore description for flavour but don't hint at the actual mechanics of the scenario. It's like inserting a coin into those gumball-like machines at the supermarket where a little plastic ball rolls down with a random toy inside - you don't really know what you're going to get.

What would be even better is a simple 5-star review system where we can cast our score on each scenario. Not only would it provide valuable feedback for GW on what kind of scenarios to develop going forward but it would give us a bit more selective discretion as opposed to randomly throwing our money at them - which from my experience in business, tends to result in less sales over the long haul.

Curious to hear feedback on the advent scenarios. Also, are these going to be for sale individually afterwards, or is this a bulk thing only?

Spiney Norman
02-12-2015, 09:58
I can't help but feel we're getting bombarded with these addons. There are already 30 battleplans available. Now they are pumping out another round.

I'm not against the system of addons. The price tag is a bit steep, but conceptually they are good. If anything, AoS kinda needs these in its current form as the base game doesn't feel polished as a raw skirmish. My issue is that with so many choices I'm getting lost in a lack of feedback about what is what. So I'm starting to just shy away from it all.

There is very little info on these addons, at least from what I've seen so far. Would be nice if they offered a bit more of a description of how each addon plays. Currently the battleplans provide more of a lore description for flavour but don't hint at the actual mechanics of the scenario. It's like inserting a coin into those gumball-like machines at the supermarket where a little plastic ball rolls down with a random toy inside - you don't really know what you're going to get.

What would be even better is a simple 5-star review system where we can cast our score on each scenario. Not only would it provide valuable feedback for GW on what kind of scenarios to develop going forward but it would give us a bit more selective discretion as opposed to randomly throwing our money at them - which from my experience in business, tends to result in less sales over the long haul.

Curious to hear feedback on the advent scenarios. Also, are these going to be for sale individually afterwards, or is this a bulk thing only?

To be fair I think the price appears to be reasonable enough for what you're getting, a couple of quid for a building campaign system seems like a pretty fair deal. The only thing I dislike about it is it's entirely chaos centric (and when I say chaos I mean big four, not including skaven) so it's inherently limited in appeal to a fairly small fragment of the AoS fan base (which is by no means extensive in the first place). If they had included rules for Stormcast, elves, dwarfs, orcs & goblins etc then it might've had legs.

Clewz
02-12-2015, 12:13
They could so easily port the format over to the other factions for quick list building

Wishing
02-12-2015, 12:30
To be fair I think the price appears to be reasonable enough for what you're getting, a couple of quid for a building campaign system seems like a pretty fair deal. The only thing I dislike about it is it's entirely chaos centric (and when I say chaos I mean big four, not including skaven) so it's inherently limited in appeal to a fairly small fragment of the AoS fan base (which is by no means extensive in the first place). If they had included rules for Stormcast, elves, dwarfs, orcs & goblins etc then it might've had legs.

I dunno, I think it is pretty cool with an update to the classic chaos narrative campaign concept from the old Realm of Chaos books. It has more theme and character than a generic warband expansion to cover all factions in the game would have.

Not that a generic expansion wouldn't be cool too. But I think the themed chaos one is special. Really hardcore GW nostalgia.

Spiney Norman
02-12-2015, 13:02
I dunno, I think it is pretty cool with an update to the classic chaos narrative campaign concept from the old Realm of Chaos books. It has more theme and character than a generic warband expansion to cover all factions in the game would have.

Not that a generic expansion wouldn't be cool too. But I think the themed chaos one is special. Really hardcore GW nostalgia.

Maybe, but the problem I have is that we only have four people playing chaos armies for AoS at our club and two of them are skaven, a campaign with two people is going to get old really fast, throwing it open to other factions would have actually made it useful in places where not everyone owns a chaos army.

Clewz
02-12-2015, 13:38
I think with it being minimum sizes for the initial start up its not too heavy on the bank balance to knock the starter warbands together. I'm taking a break from building my death army to give it a go

eron12
02-12-2015, 15:56

But Chaos has been one of two armies getting almost all the new stuff, I think it's time to spread things around rather than one more thing for chaos.

Lord Dan
02-12-2015, 16:16
So...it's an advent calendar, but you have to pay for each release?

pox
02-12-2015, 17:26

Maybe its a Krampus advent calendar?

OGforMe
04-12-2015, 01:23

Really?!?! We can't have a thread to discuss a $4.99 product without it devolving into this?

Lord Dan
04-12-2015, 01:53
Really?!?! We can't have a thread to discuss a $4.99 product without it devolving into this?

Yeah, I've about had it with this. I wander into Fantasy General for the first time in 4 months, post in exactly two threads, and get accused of trolling in both. This needs to stop now, because it's presumptive attacks like this which are driving people away from our forums.

Please go back and reread my post, but this time I'd ask that you not assume the worst of me. It was a question, not a criticism.

scruffyryan
04-12-2015, 02:41
Yknow what killed d+d 4th ed? 8 million small addons to a system that didn't feel at all like the one it was ostensibly based on.

Dosiere
04-12-2015, 03:27
When I first saw this I thought maybe they were finally going to give away some of this for free. They really should, it would be a great time to do it and would encourage people who try AoS to play something other than the 4 page rule pitched battle thing.

Allen
04-12-2015, 11:18
When I first saw this I thought maybe they were finally going to give away some of this for free. They really should, it would be a great time to do it and would encourage people who try AoS to play something other than the 4 page rule pitched battle thing.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong but actually...you know...they gave away AoS rules for free. Anyway, I'm not really a fan of microtransaction but lately, at least from a business point of view, that seems to be the most cost effective way to rack up profits in wargaming, videogaming and other kind of -gaming. If done well it's a system that can go on almost indefintely. If not, it crash on the ground really quickly togheter with customer loyalty.

I hope GW will be able to manage it well: at least for now the cost is reasonable and the product is worth it.

Malagor
04-12-2015, 11:30
Wasn't some of the items for free last year ?

El_Commi
04-12-2015, 11:35
Wasn't some of the items for free last year ?

No. To my knowledge the last few years have all been paid. It's why I never bothered.

Folomo
04-12-2015, 11:50
Yknow what killed d+d 4th ed? 8 million small addons to a system that didn't feel at all like the one it was ostensibly based on.

IME it wasn't the addons that killed 4th, it was changing the feel of the game. Most people I know that transitioned to pathfinder (the competition) played with tons of addons.

Dosiere
04-12-2015, 12:51
Maybe I'm reading that wrong but actually...you know...they gave away AoS rules for free. Anyway, I'm not really a fan of microtransaction but lately, at least from a business point of view, that seems to be the most cost effective way to rack up profits in wargaming, videogaming and other kind of -gaming. If done well it's a system that can go on almost indefintely. If not, it crash on the ground really quickly togheter with customer loyalty.

I hope GW will be able to manage it well: at least for now the cost is reasonable and the product is worth it.

I am referring to scenarios and such. It's true the 4-page rules are free but there are no scenarios or campaigns for free, and I think there should be. Releasing the part of the rules they did for free without any scenarios and such for people trying the game was a huge mistake and I thought this advent calendar mini release schedule would be a great way to entice people to try it again for free with more structure than the pitched battle rules in the 4-page rulebook. It just makes sense, and would probably spur people that are trying it out to buy a few miniatures.

Captain Marius
05-12-2015, 23:18
While i would of course prefer more free rules, im pretty much ok with how GW is selling the add ons to AoS. What would be really handy is reviews from the AoS community for each release, small or large, but the community on Warseer seems to be only a few people unfortunately (yeah i know thats ultimately GWs fault). The advent calendar stuff has been micro payments for the last few years, but thats just a reflection of modern digital gaming trends. If they package all the rules together for a sensible price i may be tempted, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

2DSick
05-12-2015, 23:26
what I don't get, is that little gems like this are perfect for getting people into just getting a little warband together... then you know it's gonna escalate XD it always did.

These were just the kind of mini-content things that were 10 a penny in white dwarf and on the old website.

It's stuff like this that would pay off to be free rather than these micro-transactions as it would encourage sale of minis... that's what they want right?

I remember the 40k monster mash article... I ended up buying all the bits to make an imperial carnosaur >:D infact the dude on the phone (yest phone mail order was a thing once XD) ended up takling to me for half an hour about the article when he realised what bits I was buying...

...I degress. Long story short. Micro-transactions bad. Mini-games good.

Darth Alec
06-12-2015, 23:11
So, this calender priced me out (I have mini's to buy!). But I wouldn't be adverse to pick up the occasional part of it. Any must haves?

I'm especially curious about the warband stuff. Seems like a great way to run a little campaign, even if it does have to be adapted to other armies.

Clewz
07-12-2015, 19:17
So, this calender priced me out (I have mini's to buy!). But I wouldn't be adverse to pick up the occasional part of it. Any must haves?

I'm especially curious about the warband stuff. Seems like a great way to run a little campaign, even if it does have to be adapted to other armies.

Path of glory definitely. Out of the stories so far By The Horns is the best, infact it might be one of the best stories so far for AOS

DarkChaplain
08-12-2015, 07:30
The Unending Storm was just plain awful. Easily the worst AoS short to date.