PDA

View Full Version : Rules for a 'simple' campaign?

Feral_80
07-12-2015, 14:38
Greetings,

I have recently come back to the hobby and I am quite interested in trying a campaign with my mates. However, we are a bit unsure on how to start. The GW campaign supplements seem only really good if you are playing with the armies they were designed for. We are a small group and do not have all of the relevant armies, plus some players would be inevitably excluded.

We would like to devise a simple system: map or extra rules, as in Planetary empires, should either be absent or extremely limited. Basically, we are interested in an effective way to chain together a series of standard missions and to somehow take into consideration the win or loss of a game by a player in the following game(s), without creating excessively complicated and unbalanced situations, possibly affecting the choice of the armies in the following games. Also, a sort of mission tree based on the win/loss of each player or faction would be important. We plan to play this in just 4 players (hopefully in a very basic 1v1 factions), but even an asymmetric situation like 3v2 or 2v1 would do.

As part of the above, I was thinking to a simple system of benefits ('tactical assets' vaguely inspired by those of Apocalypse, but on a much smaller scale) to select from spending some ad-hoc points (earned e.g. 3 for the winner, 1 for the loser): things like 'spend to reroll 1 dice in a game'; 'spend to resurrect a character on a 3+ (Yarrick-stile)', 'spend to deploy a small barrage bombardment', etc. But balancing and devising a set of these might not be so easy.

I could find nothing similar on the web. Do you have anything in mind? Any suggestion would be very welcome.

Lord Damocles
07-12-2015, 15:59
If you can, perhaps try to get hold of the 4th or 5th edition large format rulebooks (5tn is probably better if you want to avoid a map-based campaign), which contain example campaigns.

The campaign outlined in the 5th edition book is a series of games linked together in a rough narrative with the winner of each game getting a bonus in the next game - for example the winner of a battle in no-man's land getting to choose the deployment type in the next battle attacking the defender's lines.

=Angel=
07-12-2015, 16:29
Tree campaign.
You generally hammer out the narrative in advance.
In its simplest form, each battle has two possible outcomes- which result in a specific mission.

They don't require any other special rules or bonuses- unlike the ladder campaign described above.
They can if you wish- and can be as complex as required.

Feral_80
07-12-2015, 23:14
Thanks to both! =Angel=, strangely enough I cannot open those linked images..could you link them from another site?
Thanks,

M

=Angel=
08-12-2015, 08:14

Try now?

Feral_80
08-12-2015, 14:38
Nope :( I only get the very tiny thumbnails, and when I click on them the window loads and loads and eventually stops, showing nothing.

Bonzai
10-12-2015, 17:01
I ran a map based "Dawn of War" style campaign about a year ago. There are some minor changes I would make, but overall it was a lot of fun.

I think the rules are on the second page, but you can find them here;

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?396793-The-Hydraphur-Campaign-(Iyanden-Eldar)

Ace Rimmer
12-12-2015, 17:37
I'm currently taking part in a campaign with a friend based on a minimised version of Bonzai's campaign above, it's fairly easy to adapt to whatever you'll want to do.