PDA

View Full Version : Want to start Black Templars,What should I get?

ReallyUsefulSpaceMarine
09-12-2015, 18:12
Hi,
ReallyUsefulSpaceMarine here. I recently chose to start a Space Marine army and have more or less chose the Black Templars chapter. For my birthday I got the Storm Wing (2 Stormtalons and 1 Stormraven) and aside from that have nothing. So this is where you wonderful people come in, what should my next purchases be? Bare in mind my birthday and Christmas are both in December so I have a fair amount to spend. I particularly like the Sternguard models but are they plausible fluff wise? You can recommend GW or Forge World stuff as I am going to Warhammer world in the new year.
Thanks in advance

ReallyUsefulSpaceMarine :D

A.T.
09-12-2015, 21:00
The chapter upgrade pack - gets you a big set of shoulderpads, robes and weapons. The kit is designed for the old tactical sprue though.

Daenerys Targaryen
09-12-2015, 22:11
The chapter upgrade pack - gets you a big set of shoulderpads, robes and weapons. The kit is designed for the old tactical sprue though.

The kit is easy enough to convert to fit the new stuff.

Sternguard = Sword Brethren in a Black Templar army. A couple kits of them + a couple Vanguard kits will get you all the Sword Brother bitz you'll ever need.

A Chaplain is absolutely mandatory as well! ;)
The Emperor's Champion is also pretty beastly, and then you've got Captains to stand in as a Marshal/Castellan.

You'll need at least a couple boxes of Scouts in order to take advantage of how Crusader Squads function... Either a small 5-6 man w/Special+Heavy weapons, or else you can run large close combat oriented blobs of 15-20 men!

A 5 man Assault squad w/2x Flamer + Eviscerator Sergeant is about as epically "burn the witch, purge the Heretic!" as you can get!;)

If you want to go the super fluffy route, you should avoid units such as Devastators & Whirlwinds. (dishonourable units who don't fight the enemy up close face-to-face)

Arthanor
09-12-2015, 23:07
The upgrade pack is a great kit and pretty much mandatory to make templars that look like templars. I prefer to paint the shoulderpads on most of my tactical/crusader squad marines though, and keep the tabards (not robes! That's for DA, people who have something to hide) for more special marines (like squad leaders and power weapon initiates, and veterans), so that I don't need too many upgrade kits (otherwise it gets costly).

BT have a preference for close-combat, so don't try to build too shooty of an army otherwise that will raise eyebrows. The bias against devastators and whirlwinds comes from their last dedicated codex (still the reference in terms of Templar fluff, and read Helsreach, by all means, if you haven't). In that codex, devastators and whirlwinds were not available, but it was never said that BTs don't use them (there was even a whirlwind in the units listing of a crusade in that codex...), just that they don't use them as much, because they favour close combat. So don't overly restrict yourself, it's just a matter of "army feel", much like you see more bikes in white scars, jump packs in blood angels, you should see more units dedicated to close combat (of all kinds) in BT.

Sternguards are fine. BTs have a slightly odd organization, and veterans are in their marshal's (captain equivalent) household. They are all called sword brethren. Because BTs prefer close combat, people tend to run more vanguard and honor guard for veterans, even though nothing prevents them from using fancy bolters. Some people will try to tell you that the only BT army is the stereotypical frothing at the mouth horde of walking marines with chainsword, but that army is ridiculous and does not do well, so it's probably better not to build it. Templars favour orbital assaults (drop pods) and armored spearheads (land raiders, they discovered the Land Raider Crusader), so those are good themes for you. In either case, your flyers can fit well as support elements, as well as sternguards.

To get started on your "core" troops, I would get something like 1 emperor's champion (the quintessential BT character), 1 tactical marines box, 1 assault squad, 1 dev squad and 1-2 scout squads and two upgrade kits. Use the marines to build a selection of units that will cover your troop choices, as:
- a mix of small crusader (shooty) squads (1 special+1 heavy, often plasma gun + lascannon, but could also be other longer range stuff, especially grav)
-10 men squad (any mix from 5 marines and 5 scouts up to 10 marines, no scouts, works, depending on what you want them to do. That's for if you intend to get rhinos or drop pods)
- big cc crusader squad (usually flamer/melta, sword brother with power weapon, initiate with power weapon + a bunch of neophytes/scouts)
- assault/devs if you like either (devs are not bad, but not great and not super fitting, assaults fit well with the theme, but are not really good).

Asi the Red
09-12-2015, 23:22
One of these, by monday...
https://teespring.com/black-templarsltd

ReallyUsefulSpaceMarine
10-12-2015, 07:51
The kit is easy enough to convert to fit the new stuff.) How easy is it to convert, I am terrible at convesion and would be scarred to ruin the models

ReallyUsefulSpaceMarine
10-12-2015, 07:52
Thanks for all you help guys :angel:

Lord Damocles
10-12-2015, 09:57
If you want to go the super fluffy route, you should avoid units such as Devastators & Whirlwinds. (dishonourable units who don't fight the enemy up close face-to-face)
Whirlwinds are so unfluffy that they were allowed under the Codex: Armageddon list (and included in the studio army), and pictured in Codex: Black Templars.

...huh.

A.T.
10-12-2015, 10:25
How easy is it to convert, I am terrible at convesion and would be scarred to ruin the modelsThe torso front/back mounting pins don't match but that shouldn't present any problem - just use decent glue and make sure they aren't skewed when you put them together.

The weapons in the kit are designed for the old arms with the hands attached so you'll either need to clip hands free of some of the guns in the new tactical box (a little fiddly) or grab some of the old arms from a bitz site / ebay. Or you can just ignore the templar themed melta/flamer/plasma gun.

ReallyUsefulSpaceMarine
10-12-2015, 16:14
The torso front/back mounting pins don't match but that shouldn't present any problem - just use decent glue and make sure they aren't skewed when you put them together.

The weapons in the kit are designed for the old arms with the hands attached so you'll either need to clip hands free of some of the guns in the new tactical box (a little fiddly) or grab some of the old arms from a bitz site / ebay. Or you can just ignore the templar themed melta/flamer/plasma gun.

Hmm sounds easy enough, I will probably just ignore the templar themed guns as I want to have a small detachment done by February for a club tournament.

A.T.
10-12-2015, 16:39
Hmm sounds easy enough, I will probably just ignore the templar themed guns as I want to have a small detachment done by February for a club tournament.IIRC the marine command box still comes with old arms, so if you ever pick one of those up in the future you can do a quick bit of mixing and matching to make use of the special weapons.

ReallyUsefulSpaceMarine
10-12-2015, 17:58
Thanks for all the help dude:angel:

Bender
11-12-2015, 14:44
Have you by any chance consider buying the templar upgrade kit from FW + 5 mkiii legs on ebay?!

That would be nice in a templar army to make the swordbretheren!

That would be around 30 quid for 5 guys!

ReallyUsefulSpaceMarine
11-12-2015, 19:40
[QUOTE=That would be around 30 quid for 5 guys![/QUOTE]

Wow, little expensive, but when I look it would look hella sexy

Bender
11-12-2015, 20:10
Wow, little expensive, but when I look it would look hella sexy

still better than buying the templar upgrade sprue + 5 mkiii space marines

but the point is to say it would be very sexy, expensive, but sexy!!!

And you could keep the imperial fists iconography to show they are proud of being sons of dorn!

Marshal
12-12-2015, 20:52
They are super easy to attach the torsos to the new ones. All that they did was change which direction the little stabalizer pegs go. They went from front to back on the old ones and go from back to front on the new ones. Just a little trimming of those on both sides and you're good to go. As for the guns, with the exception of the heavy weapons, the bolters from the templar upgrade sprue work the exact same as it gives you the full set of arms to work with. The only problems I had was with the built in shoulder pads on the heavy weapons, those require a lot of trimming to get the templar pads on. As for the special weapons in the templar upgrade box, which by the way comes with 2 meltas, 2 flamers and 2 plasmas, they're super easy to clip in combination with clipping one of the bolter arms that also come with the box.