PDA

View Full Version : 8th edition respected house rules

Replicant253
10-12-2015, 01:52
I've searched and failed so apologies if this is common knowledge but is anyone aware of a set of 8th edition house rules that is moderate in scope and respected?

I really liked 8th edition and my friends and I have decided to continue with that in perpetuity. Between core rules, almost complete set of army books, storm of Magic, Monstrous Arcanum, Blood in the Badlands and the box with multiplatey rules (names escapes me) we think we are set for a long time to come.

However i do think 8th edition could do with some tweaking to make it perfect but all the PDFs i can find go too far for my liking.

A 2-4 page document is all i am really after. Of course i could have a go by myself but their are brighter minds than me so preference would be to use something that has been tested and agreed upon.

Cheers.

ElOrso
10-12-2015, 07:32
We played it RAW except for LOS, for us a forest etc blocked LOS even though branches didn't reach the bottom of the tree for example.

All other rules were fine for us.

Dosiere
10-12-2015, 08:04
Aside from tournament comp sheets I don't really know of any that were common or widespread. We played it RAW as well, except for the scenarios and sometimes the terrain. Some players tended to dislike that every river/hill/tree was a blood infused magical poisoned river/hill/tree and would often discuss not using the mysterious terrain tables for everything. Even that stuff was pretty rare though, usually it was just RAW. It looks like you're not talking about the tourney comps though?

Spiney Norman
10-12-2015, 08:26
There is no standardised document that I am aware of, there are a few rule changes that we used locally
1. The rules for mysterious terrain were not normally used (unless players really wanted to)
2. Ward saves were allowed against 'remove from game' spell effects
3. LoS - we used the (6th ed?) rules for LoS through woods, if you are inside woods you get light cover, if you are more than 3" from the boundary or behind the woods they block LoS.

We also moaned constantly about how badly costed certain units were, but no-one had the stomach for completely reposting every unit in wfb so we just made do ;)

Replicant253
10-12-2015, 15:01
Many thanks for the responses. We ignored mysterious terrain from day one. I will pull together something, magic resistance and ward saves working against remove from play spells is definitely a start. Once you start meddling too much you unleash a Pandora's Box of problems.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Folomo
10-12-2015, 15:11
Be careful with the changes. Letting units use ward save against unit wounding spells makes deathstars really hard to stop and incentivates big killy deathstars.

HelloKitty
10-12-2015, 15:17
Our 8th edition campaign packet house rules:

* forests block line of sight
* Magic Resistance may be used against all spells, even those that say no save at all
* double 1s were miscasts and took priority over double 6s, which helped the "six dice tactic for the win" issue quite a bit

that was pretty much it.

Vulgarsty
11-12-2015, 23:15
I too loved 8th and was especially gutted it didn't get the official 9th "tidying up" edition it needed to remove some of the rough edges before GW shelved it.

I have worked on these with my group - not a wholesale re-write like 9th age but a comped 8th.

http://www.north-herts-wargamers.webspace.virginmedia.com/WFB%20House%20Rules.html

scruffyryan
11-12-2015, 23:38
If flanking was enough to remove ranks it removed steadfast
Magic resistance was its own ward save that applied to test or die spells

There was debate about limiting dice useable per spell to 1+level of wizard but the scene died off before we settled that.

Thats basically it. we were hoping skaven would get an 8th book that mitigated slaveblock play.

Tokamak
11-12-2015, 23:44
End Times solved a few problems. Beasts of Chaos received a much needed buff so for Beasts we're now using the End Times rules. Can't remember which book.

GrandmasterWang
12-12-2015, 01:37
End Times solved a few problems. Beasts of Chaos received a much needed buff so for Beasts we're now using the End Times rules. Can't remember which book.
Glottkin let them take marks of Chaos. This let me field my Khorngor as Khorngor! !

I don't play with End Times rules for the most part however use this addition for Beastmen.

In Chillhammer which is tweaked 8th we also adjusted the challenge mechanic so that ridden monsters aren't shafted so hard.

Also I'm not sure if RAW you can get +2 combat res for double flank charges? We allow this as it makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk