PDA

View Full Version : If you bought a Limited Edition book, did you also buy a reguar book?

Herzlos
10-12-2015, 09:12
So there's been a bit of debate about whether the LE sales mean anything for AoS with the argument that they aren't selling out because the core rules are free (essentially, it's easier to spend $100 on a book if you needed to spend $50 than $0).

But I'm curious how many people buy just the LE book, or if they buy an LE book and a regular book?

I've never bought an LE book, but I have a copy of Bolt Action signed by Rick P, so I also have another copy that I take to games, purely because I don't want to damage the good one.

Spiney Norman
10-12-2015, 09:15
I bought the Ltd ed lizardmen army book for wfb, I didn't buy the regular edition as well, partly because it would have meant forking out another 30 for something I didn't need and partly because one of the reasons for having a Ltd ed book is so you can show it off.

Buddy Bear
10-12-2015, 09:28
I'm all for showing off a limited edition, but at home where I can't risk damage to it. When I go elsewhere I'll want a regular codex for that. I also ended up with the iBook, but that was a particular set of circumstances and not something I'd normally do.

Allen
10-12-2015, 09:37
So there's been a bit of debate about whether the LE sales mean anything for AoS with the argument that they aren't selling out because the core rules are free (essentially, it's easier to spend $100 on a book if you needed to spend $50 than $0).

But I'm curious how many people buy just the LE book, or if they buy an LE book and a regular book?

I've never bought an LE book, but I have a copy of Bolt Action signed by Rick P, so I also have another copy that I take to games, purely because I don't want to damage the good one.

I never bought a GW Limited Edition book and then doubled the expense buying a normal rulebook: the price tags are way too high. For less costly rulebooks I've happily done so, however. About AoS limited edition books...really, I can't see how they should be taken as proof of anything - except GW scarce business acumen.

Not only those are extremely pricey books that details rules freely (and legally) downloadable, but they're rules for a game that was launched a few months ago and is still building its customer base. For the average wargamer it's way too early to shell out so much money for a product that he/she still don't know if will catch on. I understand that LEs don't come with an expiry date and they could be sold later on, when the customer base of AoS will be more solid...but really? 200-ish quids for a LE book of a game launched five/six months ago? Madness.

Spiney Norman
10-12-2015, 12:48
I'm all for showing off a limited edition, but at home where I can't risk damage to it. When I go elsewhere I'll want a regular codex for that. I also ended up with the iBook, but that was a particular set of circumstances and not something I'd normally do.

Ahhh, now I understand why you and I disagree so often buddy, you're an Ultramarine player :D

akai
10-12-2015, 14:59
The only limited book I bought was the 8th Edition main rule book. I did not buy a regular book, but I did get the starter box which would just have the rules-only small book.

HelloKitty
10-12-2015, 15:02
Its missing "i buy the normal edition" as I've never bought a limited edition book, but I voted for the first because it seems the question is really asking "do you buy both limited ed and normal version or just one or the other".

If thats not what it means then ignore my vote for "i buy the limited ed" and my vote would turn to "i just buy the normal version".

The other FB polls that were geared specifically for Age of Sigmar had "i have not bought any books at all", and "I have bought the normal version of the books" to their poll for whatever that is worth.

Herzlos
10-12-2015, 15:05
The aim was to only get votes from people who'd bought an LE book, so I didn't think an option for "I only bought the regular book" made sense. I can try and add one?

The only limited book I bought was the 8th Edition main rule book. I did not buy a regular book, but I did get the starter box which would just have the rules-only small book.

Did you put it as you only bought the normal or bought both? I'd assumed starter box edition would count as normal, but it wasn't clear.

akai
10-12-2015, 15:09
Did you put it as you only bought the normal or bought both? I'd assumed starter box edition would count as normal, but it wasn't clear.

I voted limited edition only since the mini-rulebook lacks the background/fluffy section of the large hardback rulebooks (regular and collectors/limited).

Zywus
10-12-2015, 15:11
Its missing "i buy the normal edition" as I've never bought a limited edition book, but I voted for the first because it seems the question is really asking "do you buy both limited ed and normal version or just one or the other".If you never buy limited edition books you shouldn't vote in the poll.
I thought the question was pretty clearly stated in the topic?

"If If you bought a Limited Edition book, did you also buy a regular book?"

Folomo
10-12-2015, 15:13
Its missing "i buy the normal edition" as I've never bought a limited edition book, but I voted for the first because it seems the question is really asking "do you buy both limited ed and normal version or just one or the other".

If thats not what it means then ignore my vote for "i buy the limited ed" and my vote would turn to "i just buy the normal version".

The other FB polls that were geared specifically for Age of Sigmar had "i have not bought any books at all", and "I have bought the normal version of the books" to their poll for whatever that is worth.

I think the intent was pretty clear, for people who actually bought a LT edition to answer. Sadly, adding answers from people who haven't bought a lt edition book will muddle the pool. So probably the results are invalid already (unless you can undo the vote)

EmperorNorton
10-12-2015, 15:16

I voted limited edition only since the mini-rulebook lacks the background/fluffy section of the large hardback rulebooks (regular and collectors/limited).

Same for me on both counts.

MohRokTah
10-12-2015, 15:23
It's been years and I've only bought limited edition books twice, but both times I bought the regular books too.

I got over LE books pretty quickly when I realized the books were made obsolete about every two years.

Herzlos
10-12-2015, 15:37
Same for me on both counts.

Does that need a different entry or rewording then? Because I'd have grouped the mini book and the normal book together i.e. LE book for the fluff and the other book to take to games.

akai
10-12-2015, 16:13
Does that need a different entry or rewording then? Because I'd have grouped the mini book and the normal book together i.e. LE book for the fluff and the other book to take to games.

I don't think so, since the limited edition book is not really the limited version of the mini-book but is the limited version for the regular-book.

Now if for whatever reason I decide to buy LE army book, I don''t think I would buy a regular version of the book. I will just go copy the relevant rule page sections for use in games.

2DSick
10-12-2015, 16:52
"I've not done anything your talking about but I like pressing buttons and watch numbers go up!"

... I've never bought a limited edition book so I haven't voted.

Hey! That wasn't as hard as it seemed XD

Holier Than Thou
10-12-2015, 16:59
Post removed as my computer was having a paddy. :eek:

Folomo
10-12-2015, 17:35
I think this pool really needs to be redone, specifing that people who haven't bought the LE books shouldn't vote (kind of obvious, but it appears being reiterative is needed) and specifing if a mini version of a LE books counts as a non-LE version of said book.

MLP
10-12-2015, 18:11
I buy every regular book for AoS(and used to for 8th) even for armies I don't collect for the background, art and scenarios.

If I could afford to I would buy limited editions for all books and not buy regular ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herzlos
10-12-2015, 20:48
Do you play using those books or do you just collect the fluff?

I think this pool really needs to be redone, specifing that people who haven't bought the LE books shouldn't vote (kind of obvious, but it appears being reiterative is needed) and specifing if a mini version of a LE books counts as a non-LE version of said book.

Agreed, how about these options:

1. I bought the Limited Edition book in addition to some other source of rules (standard book, mini book, digital book)
2. I bought the Limited Edition book instead of some other book
3. I've never bought a Limited Edition book, but still want to take part.

Alternative text for 1: I bought the Limited Edition book and have another source of rules for playing with.

Vazalaar
10-12-2015, 20:55

I did exactly the same thing.:) With the only difference that I also bought the ibook 8th edition ruleset.

I never bought a limited edition book and once GW started with ibook armybooks I only bought that.

Imo limited edition books are a waste of money and not only for GW systems, but for all systems. I vastly prefer limited edition miniatures than limited books...

akai
10-12-2015, 23:34
Imo limited edition books are a waste of money and not only for GW systems, but for all systems. I vastly prefer limited edition miniatures than limited books...

Me too. The only reason I purchased the limited edition of 8th was that it was very aesthetically pleasing to me. I refer to it as the "Tome of Warhammer" to my nephew whom was very wide-eyed when he first saw the book and removed the clasp :D. Most of the limited edition books released by GW are not significantly different and aesthetically pleasing enough compare to the regular books.

Jind_Singh
11-12-2015, 08:26
I bought the limited Ed 8th Ed rule book - and one of my fave book buys of all time, to this day, I cherish and love that book! Which I backed up for normal gameplay with a mini-book - just for transportation ease (and to help preserve the book).

Also got the Khorne Daemons cover ltd Ed 8th ed book - and was very disappointed with it

I REALLY like the look of some of the limited ed books - and if it was the right army at the right time - I'd probably go for it.

There is a certain satisfaction that I get from collecting that can't be justified or explained - it just is....