PDA

View Full Version : Speculations on new factions/sub-factions in AoS

Darth Alec
10-12-2015, 16:20
I've been having fun speculating on possible new factions and subfactions for AoS lately, and it seems GW is going the route of dividing a lot of factions into specific chunks. The Khorne Bloodbound, Everchosen, Clan Pestilence, Rotbringers etc are all part of the Chaos main faction, yet seperate. They have their own synergies, units and fluff.

What I think is interesting is that most of these are hinted at in the Warscrolls we already have. And there are a lot we haven't seen any hints of.

Just scrolling through the Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings compendium, I found these:

Deathlord (Nagash)
Soulblight (Vlad)
Vampire (vamps)
Malignent (Coven throne, various ethereals)
Deadmage (necromancer, Liche Priest)
Deadwalker (zombies)
Deathrattle (skeletons, wights)
Mordant (crypt Ghouls)
Nighhaunt (spirit hosts)
Flesh-Eater (Ghoul King)
Mummy (Settra)
Reanimant (Necropolis Knights)

That's a lot of under-categories for the Death allegiance. Several of these could be spun into their own faction, such as Deathrattle (skeletons, Wights, constructs) or Flesh-Eater (Ghouls).

I have no doubt there are more of these possibilities in other compendiums, I just haven't seen so thoroughly through them. Anyone else seen something interesting in their compendiums?

ScruffMan
10-12-2015, 16:27
I've been having fun speculating on possible new factions and subfactions for AoS lately, and it seems GW is going the route of dividing a lot of factions into specific chunks. The Khorne Bloodbound, Everchosen, Clan Pestilence, Rotbringers etc are all part of the Chaos main faction, yet seperate. They have their own synergies, units and fluff.

What I think is interesting is that most of these are hinted at in the Warscrolls we already have. And there are a lot we haven't seen any hints of.

Just scrolling through the Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings compendium, I found these:

Deathlord (Nagash)
Soulblight (Vlad)
Vampire (vamps)
Malignent (Coven throne, various ethereals)
Deadmage (necromancer, Liche Priest)
Deadwalker (zombies)
Deathrattle (skeletons, wights)
Mordant (crypt Ghouls)
Nighhaunt (spirit hosts)
Flesh-Eater (Ghoul King)
Mummy (Settra)
Reanimant (Necropolis Knights)

That's a lot of under-categories for the Death allegiance. Several of these could be spun into their own faction, such as Deathrattle (skeletons, Wights, constructs) or Flesh-Eater (Ghouls).

I have no doubt there are more of these possibilities in other compendiums, I just haven't seen so thoroughly through them. Anyone else seen something interesting in their compendiums?
Think the khaine elves will be a faction they have their own keyword (perhaps the executioners don't). Varieties of greenskins each have their own warscroll battalion of course. The two dwarf gods worshippers seem to have split in the fluff. I'm curious as to what theyll do with undead.

ScruffMan
10-12-2015, 16:28
Think the khaine elves will be a faction they have their own keyword (perhaps the executioners don't). Varieties of greenskins each have their own warscroll battalion of course. The two dwarf gods worshippers seem to have split in the fluff. I'm curious as to what theyll do with undead.
Oh and giants [emoji3]

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

SuperHappyTime
11-12-2015, 01:09
Those death "factions" sound about right.

I half expect for Destruction to undergo the same process.

Skaven into clans, monsters (half of Warriors of Chaos, and some others like the Hydra) I can see as well.

scruffyryan
11-12-2015, 01:46
Deadmage is the stupidest name ever created in the world of stupid names. Their game design team had to have been dropped on their head as children, maybe jervis is slipping into dementia.

Vladyhell
11-12-2015, 01:54
It's deathmage not deadmage :)

GrandmasterWang
11-12-2015, 16:19
Deadmage is the stupidest name ever created in the world of stupid names. Their game design team had to have been dropped on their head as children, maybe jervis is slipping into dementia.
No problems with Deathmage.

A Deadmage is what happens when my AXE finds one!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Captain Marius
11-12-2015, 20:35
I think splitting everything into factions is the way they will go, with Seraphon being pretty much the only exception. There are some obvious ones for chaos, elves and orcs, but what they do with empire, ogres and dwarfs should be very interesting! We're seeing some of that with dwarfs already being split into two factions, and the Sylvaneth being split off from wood elves.

lbecks
11-12-2015, 21:01
Slaanelves
Ferelves
Malerielves
Regulelves

Darth Alec
12-12-2015, 18:10

Followers of Khain don't actually have their own keyword. There is a keyword "Witch Elves", but given its archaic spelling and the synergy purposes I think it's heading for the scrap-heap. It likely only exists to ensure that the Cauldron of Blood has all the proper effects on witch elves. If they were going to keep it, I imagine they would have used words more in line with the AoS way of spelling things. Worst case they would have written "Wytch Aelfs" :p

Those death "factions" sound about right.

I half expect for Destruction to undergo the same process.

Skaven into clans, monsters (half of Warriors of Chaos, and some others like the Hydra) I can see as well.

Looking at the Skaven warscrolls, I noticed something. All the pestillence guys also have a Nurgle affiliation. This goes back to the compendiums as well as the new warscrolls. None of the other warscrolls have a Chaos God connection. Instead, Skavenslaves, Clanrats, Stormvermin and the non-clan characters have the Verminus keyword. This is used by the Warlord (but no the chieftain with standard), Cranventail, Spinetail, Queek. Maybe Verminus is to become the generic skaven keyword? Not sure. Skreech Verminking has the following in his warscroll "Lord verminking can call upon his knowledge of [...] the warrior skills of the Verminus clans". So I think that hints towards generic clans/fighty clans = Verminus clans.

Another point to see is that the Grey Seer and the Verminlords have the Masterclan keyword. Not sure what it does, which makes it oh so interesting. Oh, and several of the End Times warscrolls use the Skaven keyword, so I don't think that is going anywhere.

(Also, check the Skaven Chieftain with Battle Standard warscroll. That is the greatest ability I have ever seen.)

I think splitting everything into factions is the way they will go, with Seraphon being pretty much the only exception. There are some obvious ones for chaos, elves and orcs, but what they do with empire, ogres and dwarfs should be very interesting! We're seeing some of that with dwarfs already being split into two factions, and the Sylvaneth being split off from wood elves.

I agree that Chaos and O&G have some obvious splits. Elves I'm less sure of. It looks so obvious, but I don't really see what fluff justification they have for it after the End Times. So far, there has always been some sort of justification.

Dwarfs are pretty interesting. Duardin is there, of course. But they all have the Dispossessed keyword. And Duardin is never used. Even the Slayers have the dispossessed keyword, rather than something else. There are likely two things going on here. One, Dispossessed (which has A LOT of S's), is going to be the background for a lot of generic duardin. We know that there is a lot of abandoned Duardin forts and settlements in the mortal realms, so that seems likely to be their fluff. Two, the Fyreslayers are going to get a new keyword, and there will be almost no synergy between them, since neither will use the Duardin keyword much. Which is strange. Looking forward to January!

GrandmasterWang
13-12-2015, 03:01
I hope for some Bighatted Chaos Dwarf throwbacks.

Regarding Skaven for some reason i forsee an Eshin based subfaction release at some stage.

Lots of model potential there. The other clans have already had their time in the sun

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ToLongDidntRead
13-12-2015, 05:30
My guesses:

Khorne
Slaanesh
Tzeentch
Nurgle
Everchosen

Stormcast Eternals
Men of Azyr and Hyish Subfacs.

Aelfs (Based off Wood Elf Models)
- Khaine Aelf Subfac.

Steamhead Duardin
- Fyreslayers Subfac.

Seraphon

Eshin Skaven
Skyre Skaven
Pestilens Skaven
Moulder Skaven

Troggoth Kingdoms

Orruks and Grots
- Ogor Subfac. (Firebellies?)

4 Daemon Factions

Undead Legions
- Vampire and Ghoul Subfacs.

Mike3791
13-12-2015, 15:52
I think the trend so far with the new Chaos and leaked dwarf sprues, is that the races will basically be children of the ET Incarnates. That is, an aesthetic cross between "classic tokien-esque" races and the elemental winds of magic.

So far we have celestial knights(sigmarines), more "Chaosified" warriors (which look like a hybrid of mutant and deamon), and now fyreslayers (fire dwarfs) in January. So I'd think when things like Dark elves come out, they will literally look "shadowy", or "shadow aelfs". The other dwarf race would literally be made of metal, and so on.

Vladyhell
13-12-2015, 16:17
Along with a gut feeling and that some units have popped up in some of the latest undead army deals,I'd say the Tomb Kings will survive with a new name as a sub faction of death.

Darth Alec
23-12-2015, 01:32
Dakka has leaked the goods on some of the new bundles GW is making. These have some solid savings (25-45%), but more importantly for this thread reveal some of the new subfactions being their own thing!

Malignants are apparently significantly interesting enough to warrant their own box. This marks the first death models which get round bases, and it isn't Nagash. Odd, but interesting.

Slaves to darkness also remain. Seems they are going to be the "undivided" faction within chaos.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/12/22/765649_md-Upcoming%20GW%20Releases.jpg

StealthKnightSteg
30-12-2015, 19:22
Dakka has leaked the goods on some of the new bundles GW is making. These have some solid savings (25-45%), but more importantly for this thread reveal some of the new subfactions being their own thing!

Malignants are apparently significantly interesting enough to warrant their own box. This marks the first death models which get round bases, and it isn't Nagash. Odd, but interesting.

Slaves to darkness also remain. Seems they are going to be the "undivided" faction within chaos.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/12/22/765649_md-Upcoming%20GW%20Releases.jpg

I think you missed this one then:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Nagash-Black-Host
was the first undead repacked with round bases