PDA

View Full Version : Slayer Conga............?

lazarus
09-07-2006, 11:36
Ok, saw this the other day and wondered it it was too cheesey for words or a perfectly acceptable use of slayers?

For those who haven't seen it - take, say, 10 slayers put 'em in a snake formation and march up to an enemy- easy blocking especially against units on bigger bases it seemed.

Viskrit
09-07-2006, 22:55
Hmm, not sure what to call it. I'd say it's somewhat unfluffy. The slayers are crazies, who want nothing more than to die in combat. Why would they line up like that? They'd throw themselves into the combat! :)

I think it's abusive.

sigur
09-07-2006, 23:53
First off, I never experienced Slayers in close combat. The only time our Dwarven player fielded them, he used them quite un***** so I was able to shoot them to bitz so my tactical estimations could be wrong in places.

Well, the whole way to deploy them is....questionable, but I wouldn't call it really cheesy because such a unit would be terribly unwieldy, has huge, uncoverable flanks which just scream "charge me", and even if you charge such a unit in the front, you'll most likely kill the front slayer, get rank bonus, banner, whatever boni to CR and win close combat, so it seems to be easily countered.

If you use such a unit, you need two other units or even more to cover the flanks and I'm not sure if it's that effective in the end since the only way I could imagine it working out, it would look like this:

.......|S|
[xxx]|S|[xxx]
[xxx]|S|[xxx]
.......|S|

[xxx] = Some dwarven infantry
|S|= Slayer row

Basically, it just can move straight forward and anything that's a bit more mobile than a dwarf (-> many things) will just avoid and flankcharge it.

Also, what if this conga row charges some enemy regiment (most likely some kind of blocked infantry)? The front slayer kills two or even three models, the unit usually gets 3 points of CR due to ranks and most likely has a standard bearer so it wins combat. Due to the Slayers' unbreakable thing, the enemy still will most likely be able to keep this unit in close combat and not break because the only source of CR the Slayers have is kills and these are very limited until they start winning combat phases.

The "row"-tactic might work with light cav (as long as it hits hard), but with infantry? Not sure.

Math Mathonwy
10-07-2006, 05:29
Well, the whole way to deploy them is....questionable, but I wouldn't call it really cheesy because such a unit would be terribly unwieldy, has huge, uncoverable flanks which just scream "charge me", and even if you charge such a unit in the front, you'll most likely kill the front slayer, get rank bonus, banner, whatever boni to CR and win close combat, so it seems to be easily countered.
You do know that Slayers are unbreakable, right? The idea of the conga line is to tie up an über-enemy unit for the whole game with minimal points unless they get help in the form of flank chargers. But the Slayers can also get help from flank chargers. It's not all-powerful but it is a bit silly and rather annoying and very effective if pulled well. OTOH Slayers only charge 6" so the enemy has made some sort of mistake if his über unit gets tar pitted like that.

NakedFisherman
10-07-2006, 05:37
Works with Flagellants too.

It's really gamey.

McMullet
10-07-2006, 09:10
Perfectly permissible under the rules, and unless you get another unit in the side of the slayers you'll be there for a while (assuming that the unit they're in combat with is a not-very-hard one).

Not a particularly fluffy thing to do though; I guess I'd be a tad annoyed if someone pulled it on me. Probably easy enough to avoid though.

Viskrit
10-07-2006, 11:15
Yes. It's not like the Troll Slayers are swift. :)

xmbk
10-07-2006, 14:05
Hmm, not sure what to call it. I'd say it's somewhat unfluffy. The slayers are crazies, who want nothing more than to die in combat. Why would they line up like that? They'd throw themselves into the combat! :)

You might say the same thing about them forming into ranks, no? Fluffwise, slayers should be skirmishers - maximum frontage, no rank bonus, no organization.

Viskrit
10-07-2006, 17:06
Perhaps. But I think the conga tactics is more of a problem, than Slayers not being skirmishers.

xmbk
10-07-2006, 18:17
From a gameplay perspective, or fluffwise?

Stouty
10-07-2006, 18:30
You might say the same thing about them forming into ranks, no? Fluffwise, slayers should be skirmishers - maximum frontage, no rank bonus, no organization.

They're dwarfs trying to redeem themselves. I don't think prancing around like some nancy fancy elf lover is going to help them acheive that goal at all.

Finnblood
10-07-2006, 18:32
"Snorri wanna kill orcs too!"
"Wait yer turn, there's other people in the line too, ye ken!"

Viskrit
10-07-2006, 20:29
From a gameplay perspective, or fluffwise?
Both, I think.

xmbk
10-07-2006, 23:54
They're dwarfs trying to redeem themselves. I don't think prancing around like some nancy fancy elf lover is going to help them acheive that goal at all.

Slayer-elf comparison? Ok, you're officially in the book. :)

Aren't the Norse DOW skirmishers?

DeathlessDraich
11-07-2006, 08:45
Tar pitted by the Slayer Conga?

Sorry I can't see that working

It's too easily avoided. Units will be marched blocked but not forced into combat.

Enemy units simply need to move past the LOS of the front slayer model, block off spaces for them in the next round and then the slayer unit can be ignored and the enemy units may even be able to position themselves for a good charge on other units.

I'd rather use Slayers to tempt or force a charge rather than march block.