PDA

View Full Version : The 8 Basic Lores in 7th edition

Avian
09-07-2006, 13:18
Having had a decent amount of time to study the new rules, here is my verdict for the 8 Basic Lores in 7th edition.

Link to page (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/tactics/lores.htm)

I won't bother copying and pasting it all, but here is a short overall verdict:
The two perfectly fine lores, Fire and Death got better by having their (quite few) sub-par spells becoming better and has had a few clunky oddities ironed out. If you liked those already, there will be even more reason to like them now. The lores of Metal, Shadow and Beast got better, while the lores of Life and Heavens got a worse. The Lore of Light is still rather useless.

Avian
09-07-2006, 13:25
If you follow the link, you can read about that. This is not a thread that is digging for rumours... :rolleyes:

And Pit of Shades is not 11+.

Skinnydookie
09-07-2006, 13:46
Great and helpful analysis Avien, thanks.

One thing you might want to edit is at the end of your commentary you say the lore of life is still useless- from your commentary i'm sure you mean light?

So would you always take one of those lores or do you think they have been balanced enough for you to chop and change a lot between battles (where you can of course)?

DeathlessDraich
09-07-2006, 13:51
Wow great stuff Avian.

Avian
09-07-2006, 13:54
Ooops, yeah, I mean Light is pretty useless. Life is okay-ish.

You could swap between some, I guess. Say, Fire / Metal / Death with no problem as they are rather similar. Shadow and Beast seems more like something you want to build your army around more.
Heavens is now more supportive (you could for example have a Mage hang back with the Bolt throwers). Life is still rather disruptive, sort of an anti-Empire lore, if there ever was one.

One thing you do see with the lores is that they have often been made better against cavalry, while one complaint about 7th edition is that it has not done enough to tone down cavalry. Both Metal and Beast have some very good spells against cavalry, for example.

McMullet
09-07-2006, 14:58
Thanks Avian, that was a good read. :)

Sylass
09-07-2006, 15:09
In 6th edition Beasts magic was the single best lore for my undivided BoC army. Oxen Stands (or whatever it was called in english) autorallying your low LD units anyone? Yes, please!

Now I still like the lore of Beasts. With Bears Anger being the first spell, the lore isn't something like a no-brainer for my army anymore. And the spell is highly useful too.

I always liked to have my shamans fighting. With the shaman staff and a Chaos Armour my lvl2 shaman was more than a decent support character for the Beastherd he joined. With Bears Anger I even expect him to dish out a bit more damage now! :evilgrin:

god octo
09-07-2006, 17:01
well, with my favourite three life spells (Master of Stone and wood and Howler wind) all getting less powerful, i may have to switch to the lore of beasts to get any good spells, or just get rid of my archmage all together.

Razhem
09-07-2006, 17:47
Well, that was... anticlimatic, still magic missile land and god knows I don´t understand why the hell ligth has the strongest magic missile in the lores, would have been more interesting if they could heal a damn or revive fallen members of units like the guys from albion

EDIT: reread ligth, thougth it was 2d6, not d6... so scratch the whole bes magic missile thing

Freak Ona Leash
09-07-2006, 18:16
In 6th edition Beasts magic was the single best lore for my undivided BoC army. Oxen Stands (or whatever it was called in english) autorallying your low LD units anyone? Yes, please!

Now I still like the lore of Beasts. With Bears Anger being the first spell, the lore isn't something like a no-brainer for my army anymore. And the spell is highly useful too.

I always liked to have my shamans fighting. With the shaman staff and a Chaos Armour my lvl2 shaman was more than a decent support character for the Beastherd he joined. With Bears Anger I even expect him to dish out a bit more damage now! :evilgrin:
And of course, if Bears Anger is the same in 7th as it is in the 6th ed. revised lore, you could plop the shaman in a unit with your Beastlord and Bear's Anger your Beastlord and create an even scarier combat-monster than he already is. :D

Snoozer
09-07-2006, 20:54
About Light you wrote:

Dazzling Brightness is still the same... Finally, the rather crappy spell, Blinding Light, is replaced by Cleansing Flame

But in the rumor roundup is say's that the Dazzling Brightness is gone...

Now which one is still in the book and which is not??

If Dazzling Brightness is really swapped for yet another Magic Missile I really am going to start and play no-magic armies (oh yeah, I am already, kind of :p)

:D

Avian
10-07-2006, 12:08
But in the rumor roundup is say's that the Dazzling Brightness is gone...

Now which one is still in the book and which is not??
Dazzling Brightness is still there, Blinding light is gone. I'll fix the Roundup...

eldrak
10-07-2006, 21:06
The new version is. It requires line of sight and has a (not too) limited range, but if you are hit by that template you must pass an Initiative test or be destroyed. Very, very, nasty against low-Initiative enemies.

I hope they make clear what happens to models with combined I in the next edition (ie chariots). The giant vs chariot thing was damn annoying.

Kensai X
10-07-2006, 22:08
Wow I'm just happy that Lore of Metal is finally starting to sound good, I was the only player in my shop who ever used it and it rarely accomplished much other than the occansional funny moment.

Like evaporating the pikes off a pike unit and slamming in cavarly...