PDA

View Full Version : Can unit leaders have special weapons or be musicians and bannermen?

bluekitsune13
17-12-2015, 17:30
I was wondering if the unit champion is able to wield a special weapon. I read a couple of the warscrolls and I don't see why not. For example, the Liberators warscroll says 1 in every 5 models can be armed with a Grandhammer. It also says the leader of this unit makes 3 attacks rather than 2. So wouldn't it just be a good idea to put the better weapons on the leader? I've watched a bunch of battle reports, and I always see the special weapon on another regular model.

Similarly for the older WFB warscrolls, they say models in this unit may be X (musicians, banner bearers, etc.) It is plural, so that could mean you could have 30 Goblins all with banners, right? Does this also mean the leader of the unit could be both a musician and the banner bearer?

From a modeling perspective, I want both to be true. I want my leader to stand out by having a better weapon. I also never liked the look of musicians in the Fantasy games. I'd rather have one more model with weapons drawn. So I'm thinking of modeling my unit champions to be really special, so have a horn or drum slung on their back, but also carrying a banner. Anyway, what is your take? Is there an official ruling?

Choombatta
17-12-2015, 17:50
I was wondering if the unit champion is able to wield a special weapon. I read a couple of the warscrolls and I don't see why not. For example, the Liberators warscroll says 1 in every 5 models can be armed with a Grandhammer. It also says the leader of this unit makes 3 attacks rather than 2. So wouldn't it just be a good idea to put the better weapons on the leader? I've watched a bunch of battle reports, and I always see the special weapon on another regular model.

Similarly for the older WFB warscrolls, they say models in this unit may be X (musicians, banner bearers, etc.) It is plural, so that could mean you could have 30 Goblins all with banners, right? Does this also mean the leader of the unit could be both a musician and the banner bearer?

From a modeling perspective, I want both to be true. I want my leader to stand out by having a better weapon. I also never liked the look of musicians in the Fantasy games. I'd rather have one more model with weapons drawn. So I'm thinking of modeling my unit champions to be really special, so have a horn or drum slung on their back, but also carrying a banner. Anyway, what is your take? Is there an official ruling?

I think it depends on the wording.
Some (most?) Champions specify the weapon they gain the extra attack with.
For instance, I think the Blood Warriors champion will not get the extra attack with the Goreglaive.

Spiney Norman
17-12-2015, 23:58
I think it depends on the wording.
Some (most?) Champions specify the weapon they gain the extra attack with.
For instance, I think the Blood Warriors champion will not get the extra attack with the Goreglaive.

If I'm reading this right a blood warrior champion would gain his extra attack with the goreglaive, also a liberator prime would be able to make three attacks with a grand hammer because in both cases the weapon is not mentioned. However a retributors prime for example, only gains his extra attack if he is using a lightning hammer, not if he is using a starsoul mace.

Choombatta
18-12-2015, 15:05
If I'm reading this right a blood warrior champion would gain his extra attack with the goreglaive, also a liberator prime would be able to make three attacks with a grand hammer because in both cases the weapon is not mentioned. However a retributors prime for example, only gains his extra attack if he is using a lightning hammer, not if he is using a starsoul mace.

You are correct.

Wocattack42
03-01-2016, 06:02
I dont see why not.
I mean to me it could make sense lore wise and Im sure it would be allowed in friendly games but if you are a regular tournement goer you may have to check with an official.

StealthKnightSteg
05-01-2016, 11:49
Yes it would be more optimal in most cases to use the leader as a special weapon carrier. As for combining the banner and instrument on the leader is a bit to much in my opinion towards logic and WYSIWYG. RAW it could be so, but would also be a bit cheesy in the end of combat when your unit is reduced to 2 or 1 model and still getting all the benefits.

Yrch
07-01-2016, 02:58
In my group we play like this, as the rules don't forbid it.
Liberator Prime with Grandhammer and Lord-Celestant in range is the bane of most heroes :>