PDA

View Full Version : Will Warzone Books be THE new updates for armies?

Herkamer63
18-12-2015, 04:05
In case if anyone hasn't noticed, the new faqs are out, and I think it's safe to say these updates were unflattering. Verifications and some wording were taken care of, but not what we expected. So does that mean we won't get any new updates for the 7th ed codices? I've been thinking about it and something just popped into my monkey filled head: What about the Warzone books? Could they be the answer for real army updates?

Now, I understand Shield of Baal was flat, so that's a bad example, but it's older and not the awesomeness that the Kauyon and Mont'ka books are. Not only were the Tau were the center piece of this 2 part series, but they got new units, formations, and it's an expansion to the 6th ed codex (although you can buy the 7th ed codex now, but nothing has changed from last edition's codex so it's not necessary to buy it). As an added bonus, Armies of the Imperium get an expansion. Most notably the Raven Guard and White Scars get some love in this Warzone series with Chapter exclusive relics, formations, and their very own decurions inspired by the current SM codex.

So I did a quick summary on the 2 Warzone Books. Why should any of you be interested because it's old news? Well, if you actually look at them, these were more than supplements. These were expansion packs. You got new rules , pieces of wargear, formations, and, to put icing on the cake, it was more than one army that got the updates. Again, I understand Shield of Baal could have been better, but it did not have all the goodies these 2 books got. Raven Guard players especially should be feeling pretty good (a formation that brings back the old vanguard veterans rules, yes please).

So the question being posed in light of the very flat faqs that came out: Will the Warzone Books be the way to go when updating and expanding armies? I don't want to be accused of being too optimistic, and I know GW doesn't always do what the customers want, but in light of what we know from the Kauyon and Mont'ka books, there will be something special to look forward to.

Smooth Boy
18-12-2015, 07:14
I think it depends... some armies can get away with this while others need a big overhaul. This was probably an experiment, this and what happened to AoS shows they want to reduce the cost of rules for their customers, so if it's successful then yes I'm sure we'll see more of it for non-imperial armies. I think GW is taking a leaf out of Forgeworld's book and might be looking to have expansions as a semi-regular feature.

Casper Hawser
18-12-2015, 12:40
It depends how you look at it Raven Guard and White Scars players will have just bought a new Space marine codex a few months ago and now if they want extra stuff for their armies they will have to spend another £45 plus data cards so altogether they'll will have spent just short of £95 for 2 sets of data cards and 2 rule books that's a lot of money spent on rules.
I myself play Blood Angels so last year if I'd bought shield of Baal exterminatus I'd have spent £30 on codex and £45 on the supplement to get all formations/ relics for my army.
At the moment GW seem to be making a lot of money from rule books when they consider themselves a model company first and foremost.
I think it made sense with Leviathan the Tyranids got a few new models and in theory that half of Shield of Baal brought the Tyranids up to date with 7th but I'm not a Tyranid player so I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herkamer63
18-12-2015, 21:58
I understand both points of view. I think what will happen, however, is the Erratas will strictly be to make the rules to be put into much more simple definitions of the rules, ie "change it to read___", and the FAQs will be...FAQs (to clarify confusing rules, believe it or not). That's what I think GW attempted to do, but fell on its face. Anyway, that's what I suspect will happen in the future if true. Even if the latest Warzone books were experiments, I think they were successful.

Casper Hawser
19-12-2015, 06:33
Wasn't there a campaign book for Space Wolves and Orks as well?

Smooth Boy
20-12-2015, 03:16
I see they've just released 'gamers editions' of all their codex's. I definitely think this is part of a plan to make getting access to rules more flexible.

Ragnar69
20-12-2015, 09:41
I see they've just released 'gamers editions' of all their codex's. I definitely think this is part of a plan to make getting access to rules more flexible.

What gamers edition? Do you mean the softbacks or the small formats? Those are not new and are basicaly just replacements for the out of stock hardbacks.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

MrInsomniac
20-12-2015, 10:31
What gamers edition? Do you mean the softbacks or the small formats? Those are not new and are basicaly just replacements for the out of stock hardbacks.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

The gamers editions on black library. Digital books which only contain the codex rules, no background material. The tau codex for example is 69 pages (give or take) and costs£14.99.

Smooth Boy
20-12-2015, 21:39
Speaking of the softbacks, does anyone know if a codex that's been printed in softback has ever gone back to hardback? I'm disappointed I didn't get an Eldar hardback is all.