PDA

View Full Version : Heresy Era Drop Pods

Mage
22-12-2015, 11:22
Are these simply identical to modern drop pods?

Felwether
22-12-2015, 11:27
Are these simply identical to modern drop pods?

There were a few different types but I'm pretty sure the "modern" pods were in service.

Mage
22-12-2015, 12:12
Cool, an easy way to save money for my HH armies!

Felwether
22-12-2015, 12:29
Very true!

You can also use the GW plastic vehicles (well, the Rhino at least, I'm not too sure about the others) without upsetting the fluff bunnies too much as the newer marks had been rolled out in limited numbers before the Heresy kicked off.

Lord Damocles
22-12-2015, 12:35
Horus Heresy Betrayal (pg. 209) shows a World Eaters' Phobos-Lucius [MkII] drop pod. The Forge World models are straight Lucius pattern (Imperial Armour Volume II (1st ed.), pg.144); which seems to suggest that the plastic model is entirely appropriate.

Matthueycamo
22-12-2015, 16:35
Depends, if you lack money to spend I think you can make do with the current drop pods if you have them already or plan to use them for both periods. If you want and can afford a special drop pod unique (at least in the service of Space Marines since I know Chaos still uses the Dreadclaw) to the HH you can get either of these babies from forge world.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Legion-Kharybdis-Assault-Claw?_requestid=10827093

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-IE/Legion-Anvillus-Pattern-Dreadclaw-Drop-Pod

Ayin
22-12-2015, 21:12
Would those be used for ground landings? They seem pretty specialized for ship to ship.

Matthueycamo
22-12-2015, 21:28
They are multi-purpose fine for both uses.

baphomael
28-12-2015, 18:12
Very true!

You can also use the GW plastic vehicles (well, the Rhino at least, I'm not too sure about the others) without upsetting the fluff bunnies too much as the newer marks had been rolled out in limited numbers before the Heresy kicked off.

The GW rhino isn't so much a newer pattern, but a cheaper. They where both I'm use during the Heresy - they are simply different patterns for different forgeworlds. The Mars pattern GW plastic, however, became much more common during the heresy because it was cheaper and easier to mass produce (it sacrifices the environmentally sealed interior and other fancy gizmos in favour of being easy yp build and maintain in large quantities). They are, simply, the cheap and cheerful rhino.

Talon of Anathrax
01-01-2016, 15:24
Why would the Legions even want environmentally sealed Rhinos? They already have environmentally sealed armour on every single marine...

Lord Damocles
01-01-2016, 16:02
Redundancy
So they can take their helmets off inside
In case the external environment ceases to be conductive to respiration while they're inside
So non-Marines can ride in them

baphomael
01-01-2016, 18:29
Redundancy
So they can take their helmets off inside
In case the external environment ceases to be conductive to respiration while they're inside
So non-Marines can ride in them

Yea, was gonna mention - during the Great crusade/heresy marines where not the only ones to field rhinos. Rhinos and Land Raiders where utilised by the Imperial Army, Custodes and possibly the Sisters of Silence as well. Not all of the forces that fielded rhinos had environmentally sealed armour.

Regardless, there where other systems built into the Deimos pattern rhino that are absent in the mars pattern... its just the fully sealed environment was the one I remembered :p the mars pattern is truly a mehtul bawks, the deimos pattern was a bit more sophisticated.

Mage
02-01-2016, 19:18
Yea, was gonna mention - during the Great crusade/heresy marines where not the only ones to field rhinos. Rhinos and Land Raiders where utilised by the Imperial Army, Custodes and possibly the Sisters of Silence as well. Not all of the forces that fielded rhinos had environmentally sealed armour.

Regardless, there where other systems built into the Deimos pattern rhino that are absent in the mars pattern... its just the fully sealed environment was the one I remembered :p the mars pattern is truly a mehtul bawks, the deimos pattern was a bit more sophisticated.

A metal cube?

daveNYC
07-01-2016, 15:37
Tesseract.

mightymconeshot
07-01-2016, 15:55
Also if armor is damaged or the seal broken then the rhino could be sealed to protect the occupants.