PDA

View Full Version : Self-created AoS scenarios?

veterannoob
22-12-2015, 19:35
Hi everyone,

I'm prepping for a January podcast episode on AoS play now, to look at the development of the game, fluff and players since July. The show is celebratory, not bashing, certainly not when my cohost and I have played under 20 games each;) We will have an AoS podcast from the US and one from Europe on. What I'm looking for on one discussion is the (necessary, IMO) need for scenarios and what they add to any unique AoS game.

But I'm wondering is, besides the GW produced Battletomes, WD and Advent releases, have any of you played a unique scenario your gaming community created? It could be an event, slow grow league, whatever. My first event was two weeks after July premiere and the event organized crafted three scenarios for a one day event. Given that we knew so little got the game they went quite well.

So I'm collecting any stories or thoughts you might have on creating your own scenarios. If you even have the scenario that would rock;) I think we have 2-3 weeks befor we record the episode.

Thanks!

Dosiere
22-12-2015, 19:46
I would play lots of point matches (we were using azyr comp) and then use the sudden death rules for both sides. So we were both trying to kill the other general, or hold onto the same or different piece of terrain, etc... The idea was to create a pick up game type of scenario generator with the sudden death table being the mission so to speak. Not the worst idea I had when playing AoS, although not really sure that's what you're talking about.

SuperHappyTime
22-12-2015, 21:34
Pull out the 40K rule book (yes, 40K), pickup the tactical objective cards, and have a roll on the missions. A few things need to be translated from 40K to AoS, but it still transfers well.

Ayin
22-12-2015, 22:47
Pull out the 40K rule book (yes, 40K), pickup the tactical objective cards, and have a roll on the missions. A few things need to be translated from 40K to AoS, but it still transfers well.

I'd never actually considered that, but it likely works very well. I'd used old missions (previous editions of Fantasy) in new editions and they require only a little modification, but never occurred to me to try from 40k.

SuperHappyTime
22-12-2015, 23:25
I'd never actually considered that, but it likely works very well. I'd used old missions (previous editions of Fantasy) in new editions and they require only a little modification, but never occurred to me to try from 40k.

Our 40K group has been playing Maelstrom of War missions because we have been playing 2v2 games and want them to be less "massacre the opponent" games.

AoS doesn't have any rules for Deep Strike or Outflanking unfortunately.

Darth Alec
23-12-2015, 00:59
I'm currently working on AoS-ifying the End Times scenarios. So there's that.

It is very easy to make something yourself. Imagine a cool situation. Pick one from a favorite movie, fluff piece, book or game, and imagine that in game turns. It doesn't take a lot to create a scenario that heavily changes the focus of the game. Just don't go crazy on special rules ;)

veterannoob
23-12-2015, 07:37

Huhhh, that's pretty clever. Thanks for the helpful tip. I'll make sure we address that one. Now I'm all curious.:)

HelloKitty
23-12-2015, 13:25
http://www.louisvillewargaming.com/Files/BurningPeninsula.pdf

theres a maelstrom objective in there. this is for AOS.

Vladyhell
23-12-2015, 21:29
Making up scenarios is so easy in AoS because the rules just work no matter what you want to do,just think of cool stuff and in a couple of mins you can be playing what you just dreamed up.