PDA

View Full Version : Book 34: Pharos

nagash66
27-12-2015, 11:06
Well gents it finally happened, BL has finally truly taken the HH into crazy land with 'A digital-exclusive Horus Heresy novel!', sorry book readers, yes we know you have been buying these since day 1, yes the series success is because of you, but now buy a ereader or tablet or miss out!

Its not even a minor novel as according to BL 'Long-running plot threads tie together in a new full-length Horus Heresy novel. '. I am truly speechless at the level of brazen disrespected they show with this.

I dont read ebooks, i dont want a ereader or tablet, i want a book, i mean we all know the worth of exclusive from GW these days, set countdown to its audiobook and paperback form, but still. Puts me right off buying anything from them.

That being said i do hope it is a solid book, that moves the heresy along, ties some of the multiplying loose ends down, and not another Deathfire.

Darke
27-12-2015, 12:02
It's being printed soon, relax.

Spellfire
27-12-2015, 12:32
I asked in the other thread, but where is book 33?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

veterannoob
27-12-2015, 13:45
So far it's good but I'm only less than a quarter in.
Book 33 is a mystery. I can guess that the printed will have 33 and perhaps the holding back of content due to BaC either pushed a novel back or counter the two release BaC short novels as one half each? (j/k), but maybe those two might be 33.

Can only speculate, but I do believe we'll get it figured out soon.

Duke_Leto
27-12-2015, 16:31
My expectation is that one of the forthcoming HH anthologies such as War Without End (set in Imp Secundus) will come out as a dead tree book before the paper version of Pharos so the anthology would be book 33 and Pharos is 34.

Havarel
27-12-2015, 16:59
This is Book 33 apparently, 34 is a typo.

Finished it yesterday. Great read, the Night Lords in particular are handled very well. It's funny, we have another great legion-character book for the Night Lords, we also see how Imperium Secundus is working under Emperor Sanguinius. I have a new set of favourite Night Lords to put alongside Talos et al. Plus, Curze has the best nickname for Gulliman I've heard.

Don't expect it to majorly advance the Heresy though. The book is fairly self contained, with a slight nudge forward of the Heresy timeline and a cliffhanger ending.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

veterannoob
27-12-2015, 17:08
Sweet! Thanks for your thoughts. I'm slowly getting through it.

nagash66
27-12-2015, 18:22
It's being printed soon, relax.

Great way to miss the point! Any other pearls of wisdom which are already know you miss to impart on us?

This is Book 33 apparently, 34 is a typo.

Finished it yesterday. Great read, the Night Lords in particular are handled very well. It's funny, we have another great legion-character book for the Night Lords, we also see how Imperium Secundus is working under Emperor Sanguinius. I have a new set of favourite Night Lords to put alongside Talos et al. Plus, Curze has the best nickname for Gulliman I've heard.

Don't expect it to majorly advance the Heresy though. The book is fairly self contained, with a slight nudge forward of the Heresy timeline and a cliffhanger ending.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Night Lords have had the devils luck with authors and books, how much info on Imperium Secundus and Emperor Sanguinius does it cover?

Havarel
27-12-2015, 18:44
Night Lords have had the devils luck with authors and books, how much info on Imperium Secundus and Emperor Sanguinius does it cover?

Not a huge amount about Imperium Secundus itself, but it has several scenes with Emperor Sanguinius and we gain an insight into how he...works in the hierarchy with his brothers and his thoughts on his role. It's probably more insight into Sanguinius than we had in Fear to Tread, which is more of an indictment of that book.

Nazguire
28-12-2015, 15:48
Great way to miss the point! Any other pearls of wisdom which are already know you miss to impart on us?

You got coal for Christmas, didn't you mate? Calm your farm.

The actual workings of Imperium Secundus? Very little, other than how the Pharos literally 'lights the way' for fleets to travel and for planets to communicate with one another.

Emperor Sanguinius is very uncomfortable with the whole shebang, and makes it clear to Guiliman that he is. His confrontation with Kurze however is much more interesting for its character building dynamic than the Royal Rumble of Unremembered Empire, and you can see Sanguinius' temper and attitude to the whole thing completely change towards the end of the book.

nagash66
28-12-2015, 16:20
You got coal for Christmas, didn't you mate? Calm your farm.

My farm is well in order, but posts such as the one in question and yours remind me why War Seer has such a bad bad reputation on the net.

The actual workings of Imperium Secundus? Very little, other than how the Pharos literally 'lights the way' for fleets to travel and for planets to communicate with one another.

Emperor Sanguinius is very uncomfortable with the whole shebang, and makes it clear to Guiliman that he is. His confrontation with Kurze however is much more interesting for its character building dynamic than the Royal Rumble of Unremembered Empire, and you can see Sanguinius' temper and attitude to the whole thing completely change towards the end of the book.

Thanks for the info, sounds like a interesting read.

DarkChaplain
28-12-2015, 17:14
Having read the Curze / Sanguinius chapter and some parts of the book, this seems like what The Unremembered Empire should have been had Abnett not gone bonkers. Sanguinius is actually a compelling character for the first time in a Horus Heresy novel (Fear to Tread was terrible, in my opinion. I enjoyed it less than Battle for the Abyss...) and Curze, while a maniac, radiates depth and tragedy. Just another instance of Haley doing the Primarchs justice where Abnett failed.

Lupe
30-12-2015, 18:32
I don't know about you guys, but I found this one line to be an absolute gem...

"We float for Macragge"

bound for glory
01-01-2016, 03:25
Kinda came out of nowhere. I did'nt even know what the title of the new book (34or 33) was to be...

DarkChaplain
01-01-2016, 03:46
We've actually known about Pharos for about two months at least. They showed the artwork at an event, and then also teased it repeatedly via newsletters and their blog.

TheGreatestGood
01-01-2016, 04:14
My mind is boggling at the context of the line "we float for macragge" made me laugh

Archaon
01-01-2016, 23:07
Plus, Curze has the best nickname for Gulliman I've heard.

Just out of curiosity.. what is it?

I have long ago given up in the HH novels as it seems they'll break book 100 before ever getting to Terra (and then it'll be a 20 book series detailing fighting for each street and building).

Mellow
01-01-2016, 23:24
The Avenging Beancounter

To be fair the Ultramarines leader wasn't too impressed when they said they'd float for Macragge!

nagash66
02-01-2016, 07:29
The one liners were indeed golden.

All in all it was one of the better HH efforts we have gotten of late. Nice to see all legions getting their time in the sun, and a very nice chapter between Sanguinius and Batman made the book.

Havarel
02-01-2016, 22:56
Just out of curiosity.. what is it?

I have long ago given up in the HH novels as it seems they'll break book 100 before ever getting to Terra (and then it'll be a 20 book series detailing fighting for each street and building).
From what I've heard from the seminars where Pharos was teased there will be 50 books in total and all are currently planned.

jareddm3
05-01-2016, 12:37
From what I've heard from the seminars where Pharos was teased there will be 50 books in total and all are currently planned.

Indeed. With Imperium Secundus wrapping up, they're moving into the second to last period of the Heresy, the march to Terra, known as The Gauntlet.

nagash66
05-01-2016, 13:38
Indeed. With Imperium Secundus wrapping up, they're moving into the second to last period of the Heresy, the march to Terra, known as The Gauntlet.

If they have less then 20 books left then it makes the wasted ones ( Battle for the Abyss, Damnation of pythos etc, good or bad 0% for overall story) even worse then they are, add the fact that some legions are still waiting for ever a single book plus the number of events that still need to be covered and i can but think they have not handled this series very well at all. And all the shorts, novellas, and anthologies in the world aint gonna change that.

MajorWesJanson
08-01-2016, 00:05
Just finished reading this. Very good, and about time Haley got to write for the HH. There were some pretty blatant foreshadowings for 40K, but ones that fit in naturally. All the Primarchs were interesting to read, and the plot actually advanced in several major ways. We even get some cool technical bits about Scouts, Drop Pods, and Non-Legionary vs Legionary combat.

Havarel
08-01-2016, 14:23
If they have less then 20 books left then it makes the wasted ones ( Battle for the Abyss, Damnation of pythos etc, good or bad 0% for overall story) even worse then they are, add the fact that some legions are still waiting for ever a single book plus the number of events that still need to be covered and i can but think they have not handled this series very well at all. And all the shorts, novellas, and anthologies in the world aint gonna change that.
Aren't we past most of the major events in the Heresy? All we really have left is March to Terra and the Battle for Terra. Plenty of time to cover that (as well as the novellas and eshorts etc) in the remaining time.

Plus I think the only Legion left who haven't had a book are the Fists, and they'll have plenty of coverage in the run up to Terra.

Hopefully anyway they'll put Guy on more of the Heresy books going forward anyway, Pharos was a damn good addition to the series.

Nazguire
09-01-2016, 01:33
Aren't we past most of the major events in the Heresy? All we really have left is March to Terra and the Battle for Terra. Plenty of time to cover that (as well as the novellas and eshorts etc) in the remaining time.

Plus I think the only Legion left who haven't had a book are the Fists, and they'll have plenty of coverage in the run up to Terra.

Hopefully anyway they'll put Guy on more of the Heresy books going forward anyway, Pharos was a damn good addition to the series.

Can't think of any major events left now either, apart from Death Guard turning to Nurgle en route to Terra - we still need to know how the Blood Angels left Ultramar to go to Terra, and why the Dark Angels, Ultramarines and Space Wolves took so long to get back as they did.

More than a few plot arcs that have been left dangling that need resolving - Euphrati Keeler, Perpetuals, Magnus choosing sides, Perturabo getting out of the black hole thing, etc. etc.

Death Guard and Thousand Sons definitely need new novels, but when Crimson King is out is anyone's guess.

Raga88
09-01-2016, 07:15
There's need to be a book about the reconquest for Mars too.

nagash66
09-01-2016, 10:07
We need a conclusion to Tallarn, Mars, Scars and BA need to get to Terra, Imperium secundus needs to fall, we will have to see the Wolf DA link up and road to Terra.

We also need book on Deathguard, Iron Warriors ( the book staged around fulgrims accession and ninja Raven guard hardly qualifies), Imperial army ( you know the billions of troops) or solar auxillia ( who have a complete model range for the setting). A custodes/sisters of silence one would be nice but i reckon master of mankind will see to them.

So considering we are on book 34, master of mankind and crimson kind take us to 36. I would say unless they show better planning and restraint in side questing book then they have so far it will be a tight fit.

Thats just me of course.

MadDokta
09-01-2016, 17:31
Tallarn was concluded in Ironclad, which simultaneously also explains how The Iron Warriors escaped from the Eye of Terror, or more specifically the short story Black Occulus does. I think Euphrati Keeler will be pretty much dealt with in the new Garro: Vow of Faith novella, haven't read it yet. Scars are getting a sequel that Chris Wraight's writing right now, while Crimson King should be out by the end of this year I'm guessing.

I have no idea how you can say Angel Exterminatus 'hardly qualifies' as a look into and a book on Iron Warriors when it showed the legion pretty extensively, examining its inner workings and its relationship with their primarch. Like it or not, it was an Iron Warriors book more than an Emperors Children book, and if that's not enough, then Tallarn Ironclad has a decent look into the Iron Warriors as well. You're not gonna see anything on Imperial Army since the Horus Heresy is a saga about Primarchs and Legions.

nagash66
09-01-2016, 18:08
Tallarn was concluded in Ironclad, which simultaneously also explains how The Iron Warriors escaped from the Eye of Terror, or more specifically the short story Black Occulus does.
Fair play on this, i have yet to read ironclad. So the battle of Tallarn is over? Was waiting for the general paper release.

I think Euphrati Keeler will be pretty much dealt with in the new Garro: Vow of Faith novella, haven't read it yet.

Not even close, it advances her and his plot, but leaves it wide open for more.

Scars are getting a sequel that Chris Wraight's writing right now, while Crimson King should be out by the end of this year I'm guessing.

Which could take to Terra, or just be a side story like Deathfire, DoP or Battle for the Abyss. All we know so far is another WS book ( tho i love Wraights scars so i aint complaining).

I have no idea how you can say Angel Exterminatus 'hardly qualifies' as a look into and a book on Iron Warriors when it showed the legion pretty extensively, examining its inner workings and its relationship with their primarch. Like it or not, it was an Iron Warriors book more than an Emperors Children book, and if that's not enough, then Tallarn Ironclad has a decent look into the Iron Warriors as well.

Simple, while we got some insight into the Iron Warriors it was at best a dual book between them and Fulgrims ascescion plot, at worse a triple story featuring Scattered legions and the above. It was not Scars, or Know no Fear or First Heresy Legion book, it was a multiple plotline general story book, about a legion whose fall is documented in old WD and artbooks. With the expetion of Death Guard Iron Warriors are the only traitor legion we have not seen fall. Legion for Alpha, Opening trilogy for SoH, Fulgrim for well you get the idea. Iron Warriors have NOT had their time in the spotlight. All AE did is wet my appetite.

You're not gonna see anything on Imperial Army since the Horus Heresy is a saga about Primarchs and Legions.

Your right, a book of say Assasins ( Nemesis) or the Adeptus Mechanicus ( Mechanicum) would be so weird in the HH right? All about Marines and legions...Why bother giving a entire HH exclusive model range a book? :shifty: That would be crazy :D.

DarkChaplain
09-01-2016, 19:36
More than a few plot arcs that have been left dangling that need resolving - Euphrati Keeler, Perpetuals, Magnus choosing sides, Perturabo getting out of the black hole thing, etc. etc.

Death Guard and Thousand Sons definitely need new novels, but when Crimson King is out is anyone's guess.

Last I heard The Crimson King was about half done, but then McNeill took on a day job at Riot Games and moved overseas. Somewhat uncertain future there, even though he said he'd keep writing for BL.

Keeler's plotline was continued in Garro: Vow of Faith, which could well be the last we see of her until the Siege of Terra. The Perpetuals can go to hell for all I care, I cannot stand their plotline. Ollanius will pop up during the Siege too, not sure we need him any earlier than that anyhow.
Didn't Perturabo already appear after Angel Extermiantus in Black Oculus and then Tallarn: Ironclad?

We need a conclusion to Tallarn, Mars, Scars and BA need to get to Terra, Imperium secundus needs to fall, we will have to see the Wolf DA link up and road to Terra.

We also need book on Deathguard, Iron Warriors ( the book staged around fulgrims accession and ninja Raven guard hardly qualifies), Imperial army ( you know the billions of troops) or solar auxillia ( who have a complete model range for the setting). A custodes/sisters of silence one would be nice but i reckon master of mankind will see to them.

So considering we are on book 34, master of mankind and crimson kind take us to 36. I would say unless they show better planning and restraint in side questing book then they have so far it will be a tight fit.

Thats just me of course.

Tallarn is, as stated, concluded. Scars is getting a sequel this year, we already have the cover art and title. Imperium Secundus encompasses the Blood Angels and Dark Angels, and IS is collapsing now. Dreadwing, whenever it may happen seeing Abnett's work for BL, will deal with the Dark Angels' part.

I disagree that Angel Exterminatus doesn't qualify as the Iron Warriors book. Fulgrim was never really the main spectacle, it was always focused around Perturabo and his perspective of his brother and Legion. He was the big draw there, not the ascension.

Not sure we really need the Imperial Army at this point with their own novel. They're spread out through most of the books anyway, in one way or another, and this is a Legion war, with the human soldiers being fodder. They're relegated to supplementary material like short stories, or roles in novels alongside marines.

We know of:

The Crimson King
Angels of Caliban
Dreadwing
Master of Mankind
The Path of Heaven (Scars sequel featuring Jaghatai vs Keeper of Secrets)
War Without End (Imperium Secundus anthology)
Eye of Terra (old material with A Wolf of Ash and Fire)
And then there's an untitled Vulkan sequel that closes that story arc's trilogy.

Lupe
10-01-2016, 16:39
Well, I don't know... Angel Exterminatus is a mixed bag.

Don't get me wrong. As an IW fan, I loved it, a lot. Perturabo is bloody awesome, and he's a pretty likeable fellow, considering where he's standing in the events unfolding around him. And the book's just packed with moments that made me go "Oh, you didn't just do THAT!". Then there are all the neat tie-ins to the 40K books.

But it does very little in the way of giving the legion as a whole any kind of identity or credible motivation. "Iron Within" and "Pharos" manage to do a far better job at showing us how Iron Warriors fight and think, but those are focusing on a single loyalist outcast.

Besides, with the way Ironclad ended, Perturabo's bound to go through a second crisis of faith that will set him on the path to daemonhood.

BUT, the good news is, there's a perfect opportunity for another Iron Warriors book further down the line. Remember where the whole series is supposed to end? That's right... the Siege of Terra. You can bet there's more than one book covering that event... And what better perspective to cover the traitors' side than the IVth Legion?

Fen
10-01-2016, 19:33
BUT, the good news is, there's a perfect opportunity for another Iron Warriors book further down the line. Remember where the whole series is supposed to end? That's right... the Siege of Terra. You can bet there's more than one book covering that event... And what better perspective to cover the traitors' side than the IVth Legion?
As a 7th legion guy,i have held to that hope for a long time...The holy siege of Terra books...

Then i remember that on Terra there are Blood angels too (and the Scars,but that's more unlikely) and i start to fear...

Now sub the SoH for the BA and you can start to fear too.

Truth to be told,you have more to fear,2 loyalist legions VS 8 traitor ones to steal the spotlight :p

Havarel
10-01-2016, 23:05
Last I heard The Crimson King was about half done, but then McNeill took on a day job at Riot Games and moved overseas. Somewhat uncertain future there, even though he said he'd keep writing for BL.

Keeler's plotline was continued in Garro: Vow of Faith, which could well be the last we see of her until the Siege of Terra. The Perpetuals can go to hell for all I care, I cannot stand their plotline. Ollanius will pop up during the Siege too, not sure we need him any earlier than that anyhow.
Didn't Perturabo already appear after Angel Extermiantus in Black Oculus and then Tallarn: Ironclad?

Tallarn is, as stated, concluded. Scars is getting a sequel this year, we already have the cover art and title. Imperium Secundus encompasses the Blood Angels and Dark Angels, and IS is collapsing now. Dreadwing, whenever it may happen seeing Abnett's work for BL, will deal with the Dark Angels' part.

I disagree that Angel Exterminatus doesn't qualify as the Iron Warriors book. Fulgrim was never really the main spectacle, it was always focused around Perturabo and his perspective of his brother and Legion. He was the big draw there, not the ascension.

Not sure we really need the Imperial Army at this point with their own novel. They're spread out through most of the books anyway, in one way or another, and this is a Legion war, with the human soldiers being fodder. They're relegated to supplementary material like short stories, or roles in novels alongside marines.

We know of:

The Crimson King
Angels of Caliban
Dreadwing
Master of Mankind
The Path of Heaven (Scars sequel featuring Jaghatai vs Keeper of Secrets)
War Without End (Imperium Secundus anthology)
Eye of Terra (old material with A Wolf of Ash and Fire)
And then there's an untitled Vulkan sequel that closes that story arc's trilogy.
I remember reading somewhere that Dreadwing has been cancelled and replaced with Angels of Caliban. Think it came out of Convention Secundus or an author Facebook page.

DarkChaplain
11-01-2016, 10:23
Angels of Caliban was "announced" at the same time as Dreadwing iirc. Angels of Caliban was supposed to tackle Caliban and Corswain's splinter fleet of the Dark Angels, whereas Dreadwing was about the Lion post-IS.
Would be kinda weird if AoC replaced Dreadwing. But looking at Abnett, I wouldn't be surprised if it got canceled. In fact, I wouldn't be unhappy if somebody else wrote it, as I thought Dan's Lion in Unremembered Empire to be pretty poor.

veterannoob
11-01-2016, 11:03
From the convention secundus chat with Gav in November he told us AoC sets up a lot of ties to 40K, such as items appearing in the DA codex. Also it bridges the end of this last arc before the final arc (which will be quite long) to Terra, called the Guantlet, which I've seen someone post about on one of these many forums:) So DA, RG, IHands towards Terra. More, the book follows both the Lion's decisions and Nemiel's fate, Corswain informs Caliban of what's fully up with the HH and we see the start of Caliban's response. But we do see how he gets his sword back, following Savage Weapons w/Kurze, and how the Lion gets his Sword.

The quote was, "The Lion's left off the leash a bit to pursue what he sees as the best course of action against his enemies." That was enough to get the twenty of us there pretty excited. Specific spoiler-type details were obviously not given as we did not want to know. I took pretty good notes in his talk but we were not there for news, it was an awesome fans & authors event. No idea about Dreadwing, sorry.
SPOILER/kinda (scroll down)

I'm really looking forward to see the tie in from Vengeful Spirit to Wolf King then to AoC so we start to see how the DA and SW get together at Terra.

Duke_Leto
11-01-2016, 17:45
So I heard that Dreadwing was cancelled due to Abnett's schedule and that some of the plot points were being incorporated into Angels of Caliban.