PDA

View Full Version : Character-heavy lists

RobbiP
09-07-2006, 19:04
After taking a quickie break from 40k, I decided to try to build a small (1k or so) army with a very flavourful theme: a select bunch of warriors, pissed at the Empire's corruption and overexpansion into their race's (race undecided yet) lands, develope a small warband of devote followers and decide to go up against the Empire. However, a problem with this is that it would involve maxing out all my hero slots (remember: 1k pts, so no lords) to work suitably well.

With the following in mind, which "evil army" (i.e. not Empire, Bret, High/Wood Elves ) should I play that would let me field lots of heroes, prefereably a wide variety of heroes, and still be *somewhat* viable to play with (meaning, I'd still stand a chance of winning.) I'm not too partial regarding magic or melee, so either/or is good.

Thanks.
/Rob

gorenut
09-07-2006, 19:11
Chaos mortals have very strong heroes. Their heroes rival other armys' lords. Lizardmen can come in very strong at those points too. Blood Dragon vampires are very tough individuals who can actually beat other lords due to killing blow and high WS for a hero (but you'd have to take a necro to be your general in <2k).

Orcs and beastmen have very functional heroes for their pointcost.

samw
09-07-2006, 19:23
If you want cheap heroes, Orcs, Beastmen or skaven will do ya well.

RobbiP
09-07-2006, 20:03
Well, it's not a question of character cheapness, but rather, efficiency and flavour. For example, a skeleton priest would have a harder time rousing up followers than, say, a mighty Chaos warrior.

My choices are effectively narrowed down to:
HoC- strong heroes + an "elite" feel
Skaven - Assasins! Some neat tricks (esp. with the SoC Eshin list)
Vampire Counts - Strong.. Blood Dragons particularly would be able to attract followers, or Lahmians would be able to 'seduce' them
Orcs- Big, green, and charismatic to their own kind

Anyone wanna help narrow this field down?

Cyrush
09-07-2006, 22:17
Eshin (the all skirmishing army) is fun to play, and with triads you can get allot of assasins on the field. The more you play with Eshin, the more you'll realise how realiant on characters they are, which is good as thats what you want. Very characterfull, but only for the better general as their is no room for mistakes.

Be warned however, with Skaven, now and then you'll have a "all my skaven blew up/ran away/killed each other day".

Viskrit
09-07-2006, 22:33
If you want a few heroes rousing followers, you shouldn't go for Eshin. They are Assassins, but definitely not leaders or anything.

I think Blood Dragons could be cool, however, I doubt they would have an actual land to defend. They just seek martial prowess, not to defend their domains.

I'd go with a Chaos army.

DirtJumper
09-07-2006, 22:40
Plus, you dont get a Vampire intill 2k (unless you really want to use that Thrall), one option if you want to go VC is the SoC Sylvania list, it actually almost seems to fit in perfectly with your theme (you can take 3 Thralls and still have a Magic Phase) :D

shadowprince
10-07-2006, 06:45
Goblins I beleive allows for five.

Viskrit
10-07-2006, 11:23
Goblins get 4 Heroes in 1000 points, and 5 in 2000 points.

Zilverug
10-07-2006, 13:14
They are not necessarily evil, but the champion of "hero count" is Dogs of War using Regiments of Renown: even the core Regiments of Renown units add one or two heroes (with flavour) to your army.

DirtJumper
10-07-2006, 13:22
It's actually 6 in 2000, but 2 of them have to be the combat character (they're the extra ones you get for each full 1000 points in your army)

Viskrit
10-07-2006, 17:08
I stand corrected.

RobbiP
10-07-2006, 20:58
I looked over at the Eshin list from SoC... very nifty and fluffy. Plus, the Eshin Triad is essentially 3 assasins, which I see easily as characters. So, using my logic, I'd see the Eshin list as the winner (p.s. I'm sure being an Assasin with great martial prowess is a respectable thing which would result in lower skaven flocking to you :P)

However, there's a small problem- the Eshin list is supposedly powerful yet very hard to use effectively, which I'd be alright with except that there are NO helpful tacticas about it and hence not a lot of nifty tips and tricks come my way regarding it.

I don't suppose someone could direct me to a good tactica involving Eshin lists and strategies with em? (p.s. I don't want a single clanrat in my list.. that's be the restriction I'd impose)

/Rob

Viskrit
10-07-2006, 21:30
I've never tried playing an Eshin army, so I can't help you there I'm afraid.

I must warn you, though: When 7th edition comes, the SoC armies will be made unofficial, which means that you won't be able to use your Eshin army at any tournament or anything.

samw
11-07-2006, 01:01
I must warn you, though: When 7th edition comes, the SoC armies will be made unofficial, which means that you won't be able to use your Eshin army at any tournament or anything.

The SoC lists are not usuable at official Games Workshop tournaments, but still entirely valid lists for casual play and many independent tournaments, and a huge step above the "back-of-the-book" lists. In short, were you planning to take this to the GT? If not then no prob.

RobbiP
11-07-2006, 01:10
Hm.. not GTs but tournaments held at GW stores locally for sure.

Anyways, it seems not a lot of Warseer'ers are Eshin players.. does anyone know any particular sources which may help guide me to making a solid Eshin list?

Thanks
/Rob